I read that one of the things that OREO does differently is how background services are managed. OREO allows user to put more restrictions on apps like Facebook with what apps can and cannot do in the background.
    06-24-18 10:08 AM
    I read that one of the things that OREO does differently is how background services are managed. OREO allows user to put more restrictions on apps like Facebook with what apps can and cannot do in the background.
    It's always hard to tell.

Optimizations are beneficial, but new features add more stress to older SoCs.

We'll have to wait and see.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    06-24-18 10:11 AM
    Would it function that easily if the runtime is just stripped out? I recall when using Ghost Commander that a ton of BlackBerry apps were Android files.
    06-24-18 10:20 AM
    Moto Z Play (same processor as k1) slowed down after Oreo updates but Blackberry is usually better at optimizing so let’s see.
    06-24-18 10:24 AM
    It's always hard to tell.

Optimizations are beneficial, but new features add more stress to older SoCs.

We'll have to wait and see.
    I’m always tempted with leaving original updated OS. I’ve always wondered if newer generation OS isn’t optimized for all hardware components. The only real improvements ever witnessed by non techie like me was Lollipop to Marshmallow on the PRIV. I always felt that’s because PRIV wasn’t Lollipop optimized to begin with.
    06-24-18 12:36 PM
    Moto Z Play (same processor as k1) slowed down after Oreo updates but Blackberry is usually better at optimizing so let’s see.
    Don't necessarily think BlackBerry is better at optimising it.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.3.2163
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    06-24-18 12:44 PM
    Would have to say BlackBerry did worse as a whole vs Moto with optimizing. Having had both phones, the Z Play was definitely faster and more fluid.
    06-24-18 02:16 PM
    there are things you can do with the latest BlackBerry updates. I learned this trick from @conite.

use dtek to figure out what permissions and activities are happening in the background then use power center to kill their background activities.
    06-24-18 02:52 PM
    there are things you can do with the latest BlackBerry updates. I learned this trick from @conite.

use dtek to figure out what permissions and activities are happening in the background then use power center to kill their background activities.
    This is true, the most recent updates allows real control over background activity for apps which really don't need it.

Also, I've had the Silver since launch with no hardware problems.

I did though switch the Hub from dark mode back to light as dark mode seemed to stress the processor a little more. I Dont have any proof other than I don't get the delays I did when rendering certain types of email with lots of rich text and footers in.

On Balance, the device with the slowly evolving software has become a very reliable device. So much so that I'm in no rush to upgrade even though I'd prefer a larger keyboard.
    bitek likes this.
    06-24-18 03:42 PM
    Resetting the phone could be an option? in the meanwhile I'm also suffering lags!
    06-25-18 12:47 AM
    On my S7, I'd say OREO is smoother... but it does seem to draw more power than Nougat did.

Oreo does allow for more control of Background Activities https://www.bestusefultips.com/disab...-android-oreo/

But it is harder to simply disable or remove services that you don't need....
    06-25-18 07:10 AM
    I don't expect to get smoothly on Oreo, KEYone hardware spec is too low.
    06-25-18 07:30 AM
    On my S7, I'd say OREO is smoother... but it does seem to draw more power than Nougat did.

Oreo does allow for more control of Background Activities https://www.bestusefultips.com/disab...-android-oreo/

But it is harder to simply disable or remove services that you don't need....
    How do hardware specs compare between your phone and KEYone?

Posted via CB10
    06-25-18 07:37 AM
    How do hardware specs compare between your phone and KEYone?

Posted via CB10
    It's an 2016 Galaxy S7.... Based on Geekbench.... it's a lot faster on both Single and Multi Core test than the KEYone. (but that is only one type of benchmark)

Mine does have 4GB of RAM which "most" KEYone don't so that might help with OREO somewhat as OREO is known for higher memory usage.

I think most should be fine with the upgrade to OREO, just don't think anyone that has issues now, should expect to see any improvement.
    krazyatom likes this.
    06-25-18 08:17 AM
    That's a big no-no.

Battery performance is just as important (if not more) than device speed.
    06-25-18 09:33 AM
    It's an 2016 Galaxy S7.... Based on Geekbench.... it's a lot faster on both Single and Multi Core test than the KEYone. (but that is only one type of benchmark)

Mine does have 4GB of RAM which "most" KEYone don't so that might help with OREO somewhat as OREO is known for higher memory usage.

I think most should be fine with the upgrade to OREO, just don't think anyone that has issues now, should expect to see any improvement.
    I say snapdragon 820 was fantastic processor. I still have old LG V20 and ZTE Axon 7 performing great.
    06-25-18 09:40 AM
    That's a big no-no.

Battery performance is just as important (if not more) than device speed.
    It's pretty clear that there are more process running on OREO.... some of which do nothing for those of use with older phones. Example there is something about SmartFace Service...

Sadly the only way I've seen to strip out some of these process is by having root access... just no worth it as I don't have any performance issues. Instead of ending the day at 80% I might be at 70%... as long as I can last to the end of the day...
    06-25-18 09:45 AM
    It's pretty clear that there are more process running on OREO.... some of which do nothing for those of use with older phones. Example there is something about SmartFace Service...

Sadly the only way I've seen to strip out some of these process is by having root access... just no worth it as I don't have any performance issues. Instead of ending the day at 80% I might be at 70%... as long as I can last to the end of the day...
    Lol, ending a day with 70% left on a power guzzling S7's 820 with now about 2 years old battery?

Impressive.

I had an S7 Exynos before converting over to DroidBerry and that phone was nothing to write home about, battery life started being "meh" after just a few months (although me running GTA San Andreas with heavy mods probably didn't help).

At the time I had read that Nougat update screwed the S7's battery big time so I avoided upgrading. Now of course the persistent notification was there but with a package disabler app from the play store I finally located the update package and disabled it and gone was the persistent notification. I just stayed on Marshmallow till I sold it to get a K1.
    06-25-18 10:50 AM
    Lol, ending a day with 70% left on a power guzzling S7's 820 with now about 2 years old battery?

Impressive.

I had an S7 Exynos before converting over to DroidBerry and that phone was nothing to write home about, battery life started being "meh" after just a few months (although me running GTA San Andreas with heavy mods probably didn't help).

At the time I had read that Nougat update screwed the S7's battery big time so I avoided upgrading. Now of course the persistent notification was there but with a package disabler app from the play store I finally located the update package and disabled it and gone was the persistent notification. I just stayed on Marshmallow till I sold it to get a K1.
    I use the Optimized Power Mode and Mid Grade Battery Saving modes with the display at about 45% brightness - most times. If gaming or streaming I do adjust those. But I have gone through and disabled or removed a number of Applications/Process - there are lists on XDA for optimizing the S7. But I haven't had to mess with Animations...

I've only had it about 8 months... so it came with Nougat. But on the Droid before that Nougat wasn't as "good" for performance as Marshmallow had been.... IMHO. My 810 Powered Droid had many of the issues that PRIV owners had... Nougat fixed those for me.

Anyway... just don't think that OREO is going to improve KEYone's performance. I don't think it will improve any devices performance.
    06-25-18 11:28 AM
    Would have to say BlackBerry did worse as a whole vs Moto with optimizing. Having had both phones, the Z Play was definitely faster and more fluid.
    Absolutely. Wonder why.
    Every reviewer said the same thing about the KEYᴼᴺᴱ at the KEY2 initial impressions:
    They loved the KEYᴼᴺᴱ but the phone got dog slow.

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.3.2163
    06-26-18 11:26 PM
    no I do not
    06-27-18 11:54 AM
    Oreo on my LG G6 feels better and smoother than Nougat. I'm sure if I didn't do a factory reset after the update, my G6 would have been slower. It's always good practice to do a factory reset after a major OS update. Clears out any leftover junk from the previous version.
    06-27-18 12:05 PM
    Absolutely. Wonder why.
    Every reviewer said the same thing about the KEYᴼᴺᴱ at the KEY2 initial impressions:
    They loved the KEYᴼᴺᴱ but the phone got dog slow.

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.3.2163
    Yeah I've heard that from a number of the regular reviews that hit today - not just Mr Mobile. As well as some proponent of the KEYone here have even indicated they were looking forward to the 660 fixing some of the slowness in the KEYone.

I have seen no indication that OREO was built to improve performance on older devices. But have seen a number of indications that there is a performance impact with it.

I think any improvement would have to come from BlackBerry and either their underlying security process or optimization of their App Suite (Launcher is a big performance issue). That's possible... buy not very likely.
    06-27-18 01:24 PM
    My KEYone has never been slow. Nor has it slowed down. Mind you, I do take extra care in maintaining my computing equipment and how I use the stuff.

There are a multitude of things a person can do to prevent their BlackBerry Android devices from becoming sluggish. I do all of them and benefit from that.
    j21jam6 likes this.
    06-27-18 04:21 PM
    It's designed to make users who do not take precautions ensuring their Android devices run smoothly to experience slowdown of the device(s) and then decide to simply buy a new one instead of doing the maintenance.

Cyclical Consumption & Planned Obsolescence through manipulation of people who are too busy to be tech savvy.
    j21jam6 likes this.
    06-27-18 04:27 PM
52 123