My new approach to smartphones is 'My Data Is Not That Important' to care about. I don't need to cover my tracks or whatever because I don't do anything harmful to others, my privacy and security in the moment is important. I can start fresh at any given time and not care at all since becoming more detached from 'it' (it being, you know... it).

I can throw this device away and grab a new one without a care in the world other than having thrown away a perfectly good computer. All I want to need is what I need at the time I want it and nothing else matters.

I care about my personal privacy and security when using tech and detach myself from the false importance of the vast majority of my own or anybody's data.
    Last edited by Spunton_Duddley; 06-27-18 at 04:44 PM.
    06-27-18 04:32 PM
    "Wait, I sent a text 2 years ago and I absolutely need that..." - what? That's weird. Why? Juss Jokes, I get that people take themselves and their data seriously, but that's my point. That's the problem.

I'm now going off on a tangent. Reeling myself back in.

I don't think it (oreo) will make the KEYone slower. Not the way I use it.
    06-27-18 04:37 PM
    Absolutely. Wonder why.
    Every reviewer said the same thing about the KEYᴼᴺᴱ at the KEY2 initial impressions:
    They loved the KEYᴼᴺᴱ but the phone got dog slow.

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.3.2163
    First, I really do not notice any lag on my "Verizon" KeyOne.

But what I'd like to understand is why LAG shows up now? Have the accumulated security updates caused it? Or the updates of the various BB apps? Is there some aging process that makes the cpu/processor slow down with age? Or does the memory component slow down with age (what did I read about the type of memory used in the KeyTwo??) I'm presuming that this is not an Apple-type slowdown to save the battery.

I mean, seriously, what causes an "aging" phone to begin to show lag?

And this question is not really aimed at AmritD but anyone who can suggest the cause or causes.
    06-27-18 07:08 PM
    My KEYone has never been slow. Nor has it slowed down. Mind you, I do take extra care in maintaining my computing equipment and how I use the stuff.

There are a multitude of things a person can do to prevent their BlackBerry Android devices from becoming sluggish. I do all of them and benefit from that.
    Okay, what do you do? As I posed in my just posted other reply, what causes a slow down in an "aging" device? Is the chip getting gray like me??? (g)
    06-27-18 07:11 PM
    First, I really do not notice any lag on my "Verizon" KeyOne.

But what I'd like to understand is why LAG shows up now? Have the accumulated security updates caused it? Or the updates of the various BB apps? Is there some aging process that makes the cpu/processor slow down with age? Or does the memory component slow down with age (what did I read about the type of memory used in the KeyTwo??) I'm presuming that this is not an Apple-type slowdown to save the battery.

I mean, seriously, what causes an "aging" phone to begin to show lag?

And this question is not really aimed at AmritD but anyone who can suggest the cause or causes.
    The KEYᵒⁿᵉ (or any Android device) does NOT slow down with age, unless the OS gets corrupted somehow - requiring a factory reset.

Otherwise, just properly managing the cached data is all you need to do.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-27-18 07:52 PM
    The KEYᵒⁿᵉ (or any Android device) does NOT slow down with age, unless the OS gets corrupted somehow - requiring a factory reset.

Otherwise, just properly managing the cached data is all you need to do.
    If it were that simple, I have to presume that Mr Mobile and others of his ilk would know that and not report that the KeyOne lags after a while. I'm not saying you are wrong but too many seem to complain when a "simple" cache clear or even an OS reload should fix the lag.
    06-27-18 08:36 PM
    If it were that simple, I have to presume that Mr Mobile and others of his ilk would know that and not report that the KeyOne lags after a while. I'm not saying you are wrong but too many seem to complain when a "simple" cache clear or even an OS reload should fix the lag.
    Well, after 14 months of blistering hard use, my KEYᵒⁿᵉ is the same today as it was then.
    Soapm likes this.
    06-27-18 08:40 PM
    Well, after 14 months of blistering hard use, my KEYᵒⁿᵉ is the same today as it was then.
    Same! And I am a 'heavy user' believe me. That said, the KEYᵒⁿᵉ does require a fair amount of TLC in the form of cache clearance, reboots and OS wipes / reloads.
    06-27-18 09:41 PM
    Same! And I am a 'heavy user' believe me. That said, the KEYᵒⁿᵉ does require a fair amount of TLC in the form of cache clearance, reboots and OS wipes / reloads.
    I've actually never had to do a factory reset or a wipe. But yes, I clear the cache at least once a week.
    06-27-18 09:42 PM
    And it should be, like FF22 said, what changed???

A processor isn't like an engine that looses compression over time or people who, well, age...
    FF22 likes this.
    06-27-18 10:26 PM
    I've actually never had to do a factory reset or a wipe. But yes, I clear the cache at least once a week.
    My uptime is 659 hours which is about a month and mines is running fine.

I wonder what launchers and applications the complainers are using, perhaps there's a memory leak.
    06-27-18 10:28 PM
    Ok, so, if past events and facts are true indicators of future outcomes, then this is what I know. I have owned 2 BlackBerry, 3 iPhones and 2 Samsungs. Each time the iOS or Android operating system was updated, all devices without exception slowed down over time! Whether by design, technological shortcomings or a combination of both, they slowed to a point where I needed to upgrade the phone. Now, the fact is, when each and every OS was updated, the phone would in fact feel snappier for a few days or even weeks, then, like clockwork, they would all get sluggish and battery life depleted more quickly! So do I believe that Oreo will speed up our beloved K1's, for a little while yes, but, and I must emphasize, that in short order, we will see an influx of slow down posts, for sale posts and eventual upgrading posts to the latest flagship! Not a Blackberry knock, just an industry knock! Cheers,
    06-28-18 12:34 AM
    I am surprised that you’re immune to lag. Do you think k1 is fast as k2? Some people may not able to tell the difference.
    06-28-18 12:57 AM
    OS and major app updates always add new features. These features have new ways to track you, more data to process on the device at any given moment. Just look at the OK Google feature... literally listens to your mic 24/7 and processes all sounds until it hears "OK Google" and knows to open itself. Or look at something like Facebook, that is constantly polling your contacts and location hundreds of times per day.

I think those of us who disable/uninstall all that stuff are saying our K1s are fast. But if you don't invest many hours of frustration and confusion combing through the apps and settings to disable all this stuff, yea the phone will get slow and laggy and have lesser battery life. With full Google services (search, backup, location, sync), plus 5 or 6 major social media apps all silently running in the background, I don't think 3GB is enough memory to handle that much constant processing smoothly without the user noticing lag.
    06-28-18 01:07 AM
    My uptime is 659 hours which is about a month and mines is running fine.

I wonder what launchers and applications the complainers are using, perhaps there's a memory leak.
    More specifically, Launchers and Applications that require Accessibility Services turned On; these are the worse offenders.
    06-28-18 01:07 AM
    there are two critical points:
    -the performance of the device
    -the discharge duration of the phone

there are three options:
    1.) the performance will be ok, but there will be battery drain issue.
    2.) the performance will get worse, but there will be no battery drain
    3.) both the performance and the battery performance will suck
    06-28-18 03:45 AM
    I am surprised that you’re immune to lag. Do you think k1 is fast as k2? Some people may not able to tell the difference.
    The KEY² is much snappier, and can do even more things at once without having to refresh apps.
    06-28-18 06:43 AM
    The KEY² is much snappier, and can do even more things at once without having to refresh apps.
    That’s what I was experiencing with snapdragon 835 phones a year ago with Oreo lol. I really love blackberry but sometimes it’s frustrating that they’re far behind
    06-28-18 07:10 AM
    That’s what I was experiencing with snapdragon 835 phones a year ago with Oreo lol. I really love blackberry but sometimes it’s frustrating that they’re far behind
    "Behind" isn't the right word. Choosing a different mix of current components, is more accurate.

Don't confuse snappiness with lag. I only use the latter term when I know the CPU is pinned.

In any event, it's no longer an issue no matter what definition one uses. The 660 is a beast.
    06-28-18 08:51 AM
    "Behind" isn't the right word. Choosing a different mix of current components, is more accurate.

Don't confuse snappiness with lag. I only use the latter term when I know the CPU is pinned.

In any event, it's no longer an issue no matter what definition one uses. The 660 is a beast.
    SD660 is a mighty lion.... roaring at a SD845 T-Rex. Sorry saw an ad for Jurassic World.
    the_boon likes this.
    06-28-18 09:42 AM
    To those who are obsessed with specs, nothing below an 845 will do in 2018. To them, even if the KEY2 had the 835, they would call BB out for having "last year's chipset" .
    06-28-18 10:09 AM
    K2 is way , way faster. 660 is 2x as fast as 625 and double memory will make huge difference with multitasking
    06-28-18 02:16 PM
    K2 is way , way faster. 660 is 2x as fast as 625 and double memory will make huge difference with multitasking
    Sadly it's sounding like the KEYtwo's software needs a bit more optimization. Which would make me think that updating the KEYone right now, might not be the best move.
    07-02-18 09:23 AM
    Sadly it's sounding like the KEYtwo's software needs a bit more optimization. Which would make me think that updating the KEYone right now, might not be the best move.
    But hey, it might fix the WiFi issue! You win some you lose some.
    07-02-18 09:53 AM
    Why do you say that ?
    07-05-18 05:38 PM
52 123