Thank you random blogger!
    You are a pretty credible source to me from now on!
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    08-16-19 04:01 PM
    I know very well what the term 'bug' means. I should have put the term in quotation marks, because the app doesn't have a real bug, of course, but it doesn't do what BlackBerry Mobile's advertising suggests.
    Got it. Thanks for clarifying. I guess I always understood the limitations of DTEK but valued it anyway, but it is limited to simply displaying status information and providing shortcuts to user actions. But If you thought it did more, based on your understanding of the marketing, I can see why you might be disappointed.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    08-16-19 05:53 PM
    it doesn't do what BlackBerry Mobile's advertising suggests.
    How so exactly?
    08-16-19 06:13 PM
    it BlackBerry subs are made elsewhere, where will they dump the unsold tonnage since Hudson Bay is full...?
    08-16-19 06:54 PM
    How so exactly?
    Disturbing news...?-screenshot_20190817-140140.jpg

I re-tested the DTEK app a few minutes ago. You can see the result.

So again my thoughts why I'm talking about a "bug" in the DTEK app:

How can DTEK show me an optimal security status when the most important security feature of an Android smartphone, the security patch, has not been updated for four months?

I would expect to be alerted to the risk and the missing patch. Since no patch is coming, the traffic light should be at least yellow.

But DTEK says: Don't worry, everything is fine.
    NRB, elfabio80, Invictus0 and 1 others like this.
    08-17-19 07:30 AM

But DTEK says: Don't worry, everything is fine.
    No, it's saying that you have done what you can as a user. It's a dashboard that highlights what YOU can do to improve your device security posture.

DTEK isn't trying to make some kind of cosmically-objective declaration.
    08-17-19 08:33 AM
    As we are all aware on PRIV last security patch update was Oct 2017! so here is the result of DTEK scan just did.

DTEK detects that don't have latest Android security patch level.

Working fine.
    anon(10218918) and Mecca EL like this.
    08-17-19 08:53 AM
    As we are all aware on PRIV last security patch update was Oct 2017! so here is the result of DTEK scan just did.

DTEK detects that don't have latest Android security patch level.

Working fine.
    [IMG=576x1024]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190817/d9310bf5d6f43fca1764176732fdf91f.jpg[/url]
    The point being made here is that your status will change and your warning will be downgraded after you check for, and fail to obtain another update.
    app_Developer likes this.
    08-17-19 08:54 AM
    The point being made here is that your status will change and your warning will be downgraded after you check for, and fail to obtain another update.
    Then agree DTEK should always warn about missing latest security patch if not in installed and period. Not erase that warning because I "checked" for an update that's NOT there.
    As a security warning it should always be there.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    08-17-19 09:02 AM
    Then agree DTEK should always warn about missing latest security patch if not in installed and period. Not erase that warning because I "checked" for an update that's NOT there.
    As a security warning it should always be there.
    And others would agree with you. It all comes down to what BlackBerry believed the tool was for.
    08-17-19 09:04 AM
    That's not true. Look a the time stamp below and to the time stamp of my screenshot #230

Disturbing news...?-screenshot_20190817-160555.jpg
    08-17-19 09:12 AM
    That's not true. Look a the time stamp below and to the time stamp of my screenshot
    I'm referring to Rico's red warning.

Bottom line is that your intent for the app and BlackBerry's intent for the app differ. Is it really that big a deal?
    08-17-19 09:14 AM
    So you want that warning to exist the rest of the time you own the device then? It should state "go upgrade your device with a new one" if that is the case
    app_Developer and ppeters914 like this.
    08-17-19 09:22 AM
    So you want that warning to exist the rest of the time you own the device then? ...
    Why not? I know without an app that my KEYone is unsafe. What difference does it make if it is shown to me? Or should I lie to myself?
    John Albert likes this.
    08-17-19 09:41 AM
    ... Is it really that big a deal?...
    It's no big deal on its own. But in sum with all the other parts it becomes a mosaic.
    08-17-19 09:43 AM
    Having the latest patch doesn't make you safe, and missing patches doesn't make you unsafe, even though we should all patch whenever we can.

Android security patches generally address theoretical attack vectors that are rarely, if ever, exploited to target the average consumer.

Downloading an app from a small developer in the Google Play store and giving it permission to access your data is orders of magnitude riskier.

Of course, everyone should update their phones with all available patches, but it's much more important to

1) Use unique and complex passwords for EVERY account and use a password manager.
    2) Use MFA for all accounts you can (preferably with a hardware or software-based authenticator instead of SMS).
    3) always use a VPN.
    4) use as few apps as possible and continually delete those you haven't accessed in the past month (you can always reinstall them).
    5) Never install apps from unofficial sources.

There are many, many more things you can do to protect yourself that are too much effort for most people, but all of which will protect you more than patching your device. These include:
    1) use zero knowledge and encrypted services for email and messaging
    2) using private browsing 99% of the time with script blockers and cookies turned off
    3) using aliases as often as possible
    4) never using free services that require personal information, turning off location services,
    5) avoiding Facebook completely on mobile

08-17-19 10:01 AM
    Would you at least agree with me if I said that an up-to-date Android patch is safer than a four-month-old patch?

Of the 10 tips you mentioned, I use 7.
    08-17-19 10:07 AM
    I get some people feel the need to have a monthly patch and yes it is obviously the best security but not having the latest patch is not as big deal as some of you make it out to be and @bb10adopter111 nailed many more common threats that I would be more worried about in everyday use for 99% of the people out there
    08-17-19 10:11 AM
    You're right that security updates alone don't generate security. But if you say they are "is not a big deal", why are they offered monthly at all? Why not do a security update every quarter or only every six months? Or why don't you just patch the "important" bugs in the system?

I think the combination of cautious behavior and "up-to-date" security software is the best recommendation to make your smartphone secure.
    anon(10218918) and elfabio80 like this.
    08-17-19 10:19 AM
    You're right that security updates alone don't generate security. But if you say they are "is not a big deal", why are they offered monthly at all? Why not do a security update every quarter or only every six months? Or why don't you just patch the "important" bugs in the system?

I think the combination of cautious behavior and "up-to-date" security software is the best recommendation to make your smartphone secure.
    I don't people are really arguing that patches aren't desirable, and at some point necessary.

Aren't we really just discussing what you wish DTEK was saying versus what BlackBerry wishes it to tell you?
    08-17-19 10:37 AM
    Would you at least agree with me if I said that an up-to-date Android patch is safer than a four-month-old patch?

Of the 10 tips you mentioned, I use 7.
    Absolutely. I always update all OSes and applications I can, and I eventually stop using unpatched ones.

I was just responding to the often-voiced simplistic belief that a patched Android phone is "safe" and an unpatched one is "unsafe."

08-17-19 11:42 AM
    I thought 90 days was the acceptable time frame from Google in regards to security patches? I saw Nokia is adding a 3rd year of security to their recent Android devices with quarterly releases. I also read Samsung was moving to quarterly on its S7 which is now in year 4 of patches. Hopefully these changes by OEM's as people use their devices longer nudge others to do the same.
    08-17-19 11:55 AM
    I thought 90 days was the acceptable time frame from Google in regards to security patches? I saw Nokia is adding a 3rd year of security to their recent Android devices with quarterly releases. I also read Samsung was moving to quarterly on its S7 which is now in year 4 of patches. Hopefully these changes by OEM's as people use their devices longer nudge others to do the same.
    Yes. Even though I don't think most patches matter for most users, they are very important for a small number of users, for large organizations, and for the health of the Internet in general.

Five years should become the standard sooner than later, IMO.

anon(10218918) likes this.
    08-17-19 12:04 PM
    Also, carriers need to be removed from the equation. Updates should be available for all devices direct from the OS like they are for Windows, Mac OS, iOS, Linux, etc.

08-17-19 12:09 PM
    Also, carriers need to be removed from the equation. Updates should be available for all devices direct from the OS like they are for Windows, Mac OS, iOS, Linux, etc.

Need deep pockets and the lawyers that Apple has.
    08-17-19 05:05 PM
298 ... 89101112