Does anyone still work at BlackBerry Mobile?
    07-17-19 03:27 PM
    If it works exactly as designed, than it doesn't work correct. If the app shows me a better security level without changing the security update or any other setting, than there is something wrong.
    The app was designed how it was designed. I suspect that it’s designed that way so that when a device no longer gets updates, it’s not giving off warnings that can’t be cleared.

What app or device is designed in a better manner in your opinion?
    07-17-19 03:29 PM
    Ghosts apparently! I don't know what kind of sick management style would give a directive to shut down all communications though it seems to be the case with this company....
    07-17-19 03:30 PM
    Apparently, not.
    07-17-19 03:35 PM
    The app was designed how it was designed. I suspect that it’s designed that way so that when a device no longer gets updates, it’s not giving off warnings that can’t be cleared.

What app or device is designed in a better manner in your opinion?
    You suspect. Ok, that means you don't know it.

Thanks for your answer.
    rolfep likes this.
    07-17-19 03:38 PM
    You suspect. Ok, that means you don't know it.

Thanks for your answer.
    Who does know and more importantly, who cares? You seem angry regarding specifics that even if confirmed are how they are. It’s like the people who complain about the loss of BB10 when again NOBODY (statistically) cares...

The vast majority of consumers have spoken and prioritized what matters and what’s supported.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    07-17-19 03:49 PM
    Why should I be angry? I just find out that an app has a bug and prove it.

You're defending BlackBerry, the maker of the app, by making the strongest assumptions about why BlackBerry implemented the bug.

That's all.
    rolfep likes this.
    07-17-19 03:57 PM

You're defending BlackBerry, the maker of the app, by making the strongest assumptions about why BlackBerry implemented the bug.

That's all.
    You think it’s a bug and the rest of us disagree with your assertion. You can’t say it’s a bug anymore than we say it’s not a bug if we follow your logic. It’s merely your opinion facing an uphill logic battle.
    07-17-19 04:01 PM
    Of course, if you speak for 'the rest of us', I'll be quiet.
    rolfep likes this.
    07-17-19 04:11 PM
    Of course, if you speak for 'the rest of us', I'll be quiet.
    The “rest of us” was simply referring to couple or so people that have shared the views here publicly earlier in thread. I don’t care if you’re quiet or not. You can’t shout down logical, probable fact based conclusions. However, I’ll always listen to opposing views.
    07-17-19 04:18 PM
    You can’t shout down logical, probable fact based conclusions.
    You must be new here.
    07-17-19 04:27 PM
    You must be new here.
    LMAO
    07-17-19 09:22 PM
    I am totally with Paulelmar on this one. And I really wonder why this design / bug or however you would want to call this "feature" of the DTEK app is being defended here.

Funny note: Though having the same update status as paulelmar, the lack of a new security patch was only ever shown with a yellow symbol for me. Besides, I realized that the DTEK app obviously only recognizes searches for updates started from within he DTEK app - because for me the DTEK app showed that I had lastly searched 45 days ago for updates, which is simply not true.

I guess nobody would care about these things, if security wasn't such a heavily advertised feature of this phone. This is not to say that the KeyOne isn't secure - it still might be as far as I know - but such things simply leave a bad gut feeling.
    rolfep and anon(10218918) like this.
    07-17-19 09:48 PM
    I am totally with Paulelmar on this one. And I really wonder why this design / bug or however you would want to call this "feature" of the DTEK app is being defended here.

Funny note: Though having the same update status as paulelmar, the lack of a new security patch was only ever shown with a yellow symbol for me. Besides, I realized that the DTEK app obviously only recognizes searches for updates started from within he DTEK app - because for me the DTEK app showed that I had lastly searched 45 days ago for updates, which is simply not true.

I guess nobody would care about these things, if security wasn't such a heavily advertised feature of this phone. This is not to say that the KeyOne isn't secure - it still might be as far as I know - but such things simply leave a bad gut feeling.
    Updates are the key to security... at least up until we stop sending them out.

Every missed patch make any Android less secure... that said I'd be good with 12 months of no patches, unless it's something major. I think if you bought a KEYone at lauch and keep it the average three years, it should be fine.
    08-16-19 01:05 PM
    Updates are the key to security... at least up until we stop sending them out.

Every missed patch make any Android less secure... that said I'd be good with 12 months of no patches, unless it's something major. I think if you bought a KEYone at lauch and keep it the average three years, it should be fine.
    theories??...Last update on my PRIV was Oct 2017. Since then no issues and yes regular updates to all my apps. Only download from Playstore. DTEK regular scans all ok.
    08-16-19 01:14 PM
    theories??...Last update on my PRIV was Oct 2017. Since then no issues and yes regular updates to all my apps. Only download from Playstore. DTEK regular scans all ok.
    An updated browser, careful sourcing of legitimate apps, solid passwords with 2FA, and common sense, are 99% of the battle.

The fact is, except for extreme risk environments, elevated privilege / root access is a highly unlikely attack vector.
    Rico4you likes this.
    08-16-19 01:33 PM
    An updated browser, careful sourcing of legitimate apps, solid passwords with 2FA, and common sense are 95% of the battle.

The fact is, except for extreme risk environments, elevated privilege / root access is a highly unlikely attack vector.
    And yet marketing focuses (well, focused; TCL's been scaling back on the software promises) on the 5%.
    08-16-19 01:40 PM
    And yet marketing focuses (well, focused; TCL's been scaling back on the software promises) on the 5%.
    Agreed. I guess they initially hoped that last bit would entice enterprise.
    08-16-19 01:49 PM
    But if you stop to think about it, it does make sense. Advertising security based on monthly security patches, software and hardware with hardened security is the only thing a manufacturer can boast on.
    Using a secure browser, being self-aware of security risks etc. all fall down to consumer behavior. No one can advertise a product free from human error..

Updates play a big part in security, but it won't matter at all if the user just clicks on everything he sees.
    08-16-19 03:00 PM
    But if you stop to think about it, it does make sense. Advertising security based on monthly security patches, software and hardware with hardened security is the only thing a manufacturer can boast on.
    Using a secure browser, being self-aware of security risks etc. all fall down to consumer behavior. No one can advertise a product free from human error..

Updates play a big part in security, but it won't matter at all if the user just clicks on everything he sees.
    It does make sense, but only if they can back it up with actually delivering.
    08-16-19 03:03 PM

That's all.
    I'm not sure you understand the definition of "bug" in software. It means an app doesn't do what it was intended to do BY THE DEVELOPERS. What you're describing is an app not doing what YOU think it should do. It's fine to be dissatisfied with the DTEK app, but it's incorrect to label your dissatisfaction as a "bug" unless you can show that it doesn't work as the developers intended.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 08-16-19 at 03:23 PM.
    08-16-19 03:11 PM
    There are definitely vulnerabilities out there that will impact BB Android, otherwise BlackBerry wouldn't be patching it every month.

Whether or not you get impacted by them is down to use case and a bit of luck, but that applies to non BB Android devices as well.
    08-16-19 03:12 PM
    It does make sense, but only if they can back it up with actually delivering.
    Agreed. I wasn't trying to make an excuse for that or anything.

The only thing I meant is that regular updates aren't, in most cases, as important as being cautious and self-aware.

Recently, hackers were able to take control of Brazil's Ministry of Defense telegram account because he didn't change his 1234 password for his missed calls inbox (I don't know the English term for that). That could've happened regardless of the device he was using.
    08-16-19 03:16 PM
    There are definitely vulnerabilities out there that will impact BB Android, otherwise BlackBerry wouldn't be patching it every month.

Whether or not you get impacted by them is down to use case and a bit of luck, but that applies to non BB Android devices as well.
    Another benefit of BlackBerry is the security injected at hardware level...NO root possible. Have not seen one yes or heard of.
    08-16-19 03:28 PM
    I'm not sure you understand the definition of "bug" in software. It means an app doesn't do what it was intended to do BY THE DEVELOPERS. What you're describing is an app not doing what YOU think it should do. It's fine to be dissatisfied with the DTEK app, but it's incorrect to label your dissatisfaction as a "bug" unless you can show that it doesn't work as the developers intended.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    I know very well what the term 'bug' means. I should have put the term in quotation marks, because the app doesn't have a real bug, of course, but it doesn't do what BlackBerry Mobile's advertising suggests.
    08-16-19 03:57 PM
298 ... 7891011 ...