Really? Spread them around - people are desperate for product in other regions!
    Unless they're QWERTZ I guess.
    Tim-ANC and the_boon like this.
    07-16-19 08:06 PM
    Ready for a joke? As we all know the DTEK app shows us users the security level of a KEYone (or KEY2).

On June 28th I received a notification that DTEK had checked my system (pic 1)

Disturbing news...?-dtek-pic1.jpeg

With one click I landed on the following page (pic 2)

Disturbing news...?-dtek-pic2.jpg

My first thought: there is the June patch! So immediately another click and then this page opens (pic 3)

Disturbing news...?-dtek-pic3.jpg

How great that BlackBerry makes me aware that
    a) I have an old patch (05.04.) on my device,
    b) hackers could exploit it; and
    c) I haven't looked for an update for allmost 25 days.

Well, c) should have made me suspicious, because I had searched for it only one day before (My age. My memory. My forgetfulness.).

Nevertheless I instinctively clicked on the link and then this (pic 4).

Disturbing news...?-dtek-pic4.jpg

What does that tell us? The DTEK app technically works, but doesn't make our KEYone safer if there is no update. And as of today, there is NO OFFICIAL update from BlackBerry Mobile for my device.

What's worse, DTEK now shows me a higher safety level after the whole procedure, even though I'm not up to date.
    07-17-19 05:17 AM
    Ready for a joke? As we all know the DTEK app shows us users the security level of a KEYone (or KEY2).

On June 28th I received a notification that DTEK had checked my system (pic 1)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DTEK pic1.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	445273

With one click I landed on the following page (pic 2)

Name:	DTEK pic2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	445274

My first thought: there is the June patch! So immediately another click and then this page opens (pic 3)

Name:	DTEK pic3.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	445275

How great that BlackBerry makes me aware that
    a) I have an old patch (05.04.) on my device,
    b) hackers could exploit it; and
    c) I haven't looked for an update for allmost 25 days.

Well, c) should have made me suspicious, because I had searched for it only one day before (My age. My memory. My forgetfulness.).

Nevertheless I instinctively clicked on the link and then this (pic 4).

Name:	DTEK pic4.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	445272

What does that tell us? The DTEK app technically works, but doesn't make our KEYone safer if there is no update. And as of today, there is NO OFFICIAL update from BlackBerry Mobile for my device.

What's worse, DTEK now shows me a higher safety level after the whole procedure, even though I'm not up to date.
    That makes the high reputation of BlackBerry Mobile and because of this there is a worldwide run on BlackBerry Key devices. People are so convinced of BlackBerry Mobile's promises that they are nearly sold out.
    Last edited by CrackPriv; 07-17-19 at 06:56 AM.
    07-17-19 06:39 AM
    I’m pretty sure either of my KEYones are intrinsically as secure as my XR and more than Android off the shelf.
    07-17-19 07:19 AM
    Unless they're QWERTZ I guess.
    True. Only qwertz sold in Germany
    07-17-19 07:19 AM
    I’m pretty sure either of my KEYones are intrinsically as secure as my XR and more than Android off the shelf.
    I am also pretty sure that my KEYone is comparatively well protected. But that's not the problem and the comparison with an iPhone or Android is not helpful either.

Because that doesn't change the system error of the app. First of all, my smartphone is not secure because a security update is missing. Then I follow the app's instructions and my smartphone is - according to the display - more secure than before. Although the update status is unchanged.

Logical? Not for me.
    Mecca EL and elfabio80 like this.
    07-17-19 07:47 AM
    I am also pretty sure that my KEYone is comparatively well protected. But that's not the problem and the comparison with an iPhone or Android is not helpful either.

Because that doesn't change the system error of the app. First of all, my smartphone is not secure because a security update is missing. Then I follow the app's instructions and my smartphone is - according to the display - more secure than before. Although the update status is unchanged.

Logical? Not for me.
    Application software bug? Shocking..... Just utterly shocking.....

It’s not the first software bug for BlackBerry and I’m sure it won’t be the last. Apple, Google and Microsoft all have software bugs too. The update patches we get to fix all the bugs is amazing.

I’m not sure what you’re really upset about. I’ve used mobile technology for almost 30 years now and nothing is perfect especially BlackBerry when you consider software bugs. BlackBerry once rolled out a complete OS, BB10.1 , that was in my opinion and many others, simply one huge software bug that almost killed the entire company. Talk about surviving the impossible.

Sun will rise in the East and will set in the West as usual so nothing to worry about.
    07-17-19 08:29 AM
    If you don't care about technical problems and their detection and you just want the sun to rise in the east and set in the west, that's your attitude. But no argument.

Of course the problem with the app is secondary. But combined with the lack of security updates, it shows how little security is anchored in the DNA of BlackBerry Ltd. and BlackBerry Mobile, despite statements to the contrary. And how little you can trust this app.

Or do you see it differently? Of course.
    Mecca EL and John Albert like this.
    07-17-19 08:44 AM
    But combined with the lack of security updates, it shows how little security is anchored in the DNA of BlackBerry Ltd. and BlackBerry Mobile.
    BlackBerry Limited has absolutely nothing to do with updates or patches. They simply do what their licensing contract with TCL requires them to do.

The DTEK app is just a dashboard to triage security issues. It makes you check for updates if you are behind.
    07-17-19 08:56 AM
    Who is responsible for the DTEK App? Who programmed the app so incorrectly?

BlackBerry Mobile, the Chinese licensee?

Or BlackBerry Ltd., the security and software company?
    07-17-19 09:06 AM
    Who is responsible for the DTEK App? Who programmed the app so incorrectly?

BlackBerry Mobile, the Chinese licensee?

Or BlackBerry Ltd., the security and software company?
    I already explained the purpose of the DTEK app - it's a triage centre for things you can actually DO. Beyond checking for updates, there is nothing else a user can control.
    07-17-19 09:47 AM
    That's again no answer to my question!!!
    rolfep and IceCreamPlz like this.
    07-17-19 09:51 AM
    That's again no answer to my question!!!
    The DTEK app is by BlackBerry Limited.

I was responding to the "coded incorrectly" part - which it isn't.
    07-17-19 09:53 AM
    That's all I want to hear from you.
    07-17-19 10:03 AM
    That's all I want to hear from you.
    Did we not all know that already? It's been part of the suite since 2015 and the Priv.
    07-17-19 10:05 AM
    Of course we did. Since 2015.

I just wanted to point out that the faulty app (see #178 ) was programmed by BlackBerry Ltd.
    07-17-19 10:10 AM
    If you don't care about technical problems and their detection and you just want the sun to rise in the east and set in the west, that's your attitude. But no argument.

Of course the problem with the app is secondary. But combined with the lack of security updates, it shows how little security is anchored in the DNA of BlackBerry Ltd. and BlackBerry Mobile, despite statements to the contrary. And how little you can trust this app.

Or do you see it differently? Of course.
    The DTEK app tells me every time it scans that I have a bunch of unused apps then dings me security points for it. Then, I go in and clear it without removing anything. I have a feeling that’s what you did, unintentionally.

I have AT&T KEYone running June update and BE KEYone running April update. However, AT&T model running OS build older than BE model. In real life applications, does any of this REALLY matter?

There’s so much data privacy leakage required to live in 2019, that I seriously doubt any of us can really do anything on a true impact level. Thinking we can, is just wasted hubris.
    07-17-19 10:13 AM
    Of course we did. Since 2015.

I just wanted to point out that the faulty app (see #178 ) was programmed by BlackBerry Ltd.
    And as I've been trying to point out, it works exactly as designed and as you would want.
    07-17-19 10:14 AM
    The DTEK app tells me every time it scans that I have a bunch of unused apps then dings me security points for it. Then, I go in and clear it without removing anything. I have a feeling that’s what you did, unintentionally.
    No.
    07-17-19 10:17 AM
    And as I've been trying to point out, it works exactly as designed and as you would want.
    I really don't see a lot of PIRV, DTEK50 and DTEK60 users complaining about the DTEK app bugging them about lack of updates....
    07-17-19 10:17 AM
    If it works exactly as designed, than it doesn't work correct. If the app shows me a better security level without changing the security update or any other setting, than there is something wrong.
    07-17-19 10:21 AM
    I really don't see a lot of PIRV, DTEK50 and DTEK60 users complaining about the DTEK app bugging them about lack of updates....
    That's not the point. These devices are EOL, the KEYone is not. Or am I wrong?
    07-17-19 10:38 AM
    If it works exactly as designed, than it doesn't work correct. If the app shows me a better security level without changing the security update or any other setting, than there is something wrong.
    DTEK is not designed to make some cosmic proclamation as to the objective security of your device - it is designed to get YOU to do what YOU can to improve the situation. The warning is simply telling YOU to check for updates because there hasn't been one installed for a while. If there is none, then the rating will go up because YOU have gone ahead and done what YOU could.

You may not like the philosophy behind the dashboard app, but that's what it was coded to do.
    07-17-19 11:09 AM
    That's YOUR opinion. Please show me, where I can read YOUR assumption in the description of the app. Especially the sentence 'If there is none, then the rating will go up because YOU have gone ahead and done what YOU could'
    rolfep likes this.
    07-17-19 12:29 PM
    That's not the point. These devices are EOL, the KEYone is not. Or am I wrong?
    I don't know.... per BBMo support ended at 2-years from lauch. I doubt the BBMo production line has rolled out a KEYone in almost a year. So yeah it's probable EOS/EOL.

We really don't know for sure what the support life of the KEYone is.... time will tell.

Either way the apps just asking you to check for an update, once you do that it happy.

Now to be totally honest.. it ought to deduct some for month the phone doesn't get an update. I would question just how "secure" a PRIV is at this point... but then that's just not what the app is for.
    07-17-19 02:01 PM
298 ... 678910 ...