For TCL to issue a warranty for a year on screens popping out is a sign that they know what the issue is and realize it's going to keep happening on these devices. Some haven't experienced it yet but if and when you do you will see what others have gone through.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-17 07:30 AM
    It's really hard to believe that since I own one myself. Either I'm extremely lucky or others are unlucky. Can't say from my experience that the phone is weakly build.
    By the time the issues bubbled up, everyone will be more careful with their k1. It'll create more "my device is ok" claims.
    07-23-17 07:38 AM
    well shame on you. As a supposed long time customer, you'd at least give them a chance over a simple fix. Your loss in the end.
    07-23-17 07:50 AM
    well shame on you. As a supposed long time customer, you'd at least give them a chance over a simple fix. Your loss in the end.
    If it was that simple of a fix they should have caught it before shipping any stock.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    07-23-17 08:04 AM
    But it is NOT the keyboards that are falling off. It is the screen. Screen adhesion technology shouldn't be that hard to perfect.

I agree with Bakron - folks need to be confident that the screen on the device they plan on taking on vacation or to a conference will not fall apart. Or even the device they need at the store or picking up the kids can work reliably.

Yes, it is nice that the Keyone has a one year warranty but that is a fail safe that most folks do not want to exercise or rely on. They are out and about and the screen falls off. Now what, pull out the spare phone that they need to carry as a precaution? Borrow one from some passerby? Pull over to a phone booth (and change into their Superman costume) and call BBMobile?

Finally knowing that the KeyOne you purchase is really built correctly and won't fall apart is something that should be taken for granted and not prayed for.

Yes, it might be random and it might be rare but it is damn inconvenient if it happens at the wrong time or place.

They should do a stock switch and pull old stock which they cannot determine is fault-free (as far as screen pop) and provide new, fixed stock so that merchants are not selling possibly faulty units.
    Random, maybe not. Rare, definitely not. Over 100 reports on CB alone, who knows how many owners out there that don't subscribe to this forum and have also suffered a screen failure. My screen fell out at 2 months and 8 days.
    07-23-17 08:19 AM
    There are a lot of great posts on this thread and some get it but for the others that don't for the two days I used the keyone it was great I loved the device no problems at all its the simple fact that the screen issues is known and someone should of pulled the stock that has not had the screen repairs made yet period. How is someone to know at this point if the device they are buying is the new and improved one? THEY DON'T! Why should anyone go through the purchase and return process more than a month after the defect was known. I am lucky I was able to get a refund within the return period and not have to wait and get it repaired. So I am not bashing the keyone I am bashing the people who are responsible for getting this defect fixed period!
    For what it's worth the keyone was charging when the screen lifted it was on charge for about 4 hours and was never dropped.
    I fully understand. Just unfortunately that we have people like Chuck, who continue to make excuses for this company. He feels bad for you, but you should have known better. Come on lol.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    07-23-17 08:25 AM
    TCL knows exactly what production runs of the KeyOne have the potential for the display to come loose, but just like any major company they've done the math that it's cheaper to replace on failure than to pull stock from the supply chain. Every manufacturer from autos to appliances to office supplies does the same thing. Unless the issue is one where personal injury or death is a potential factor, the accountants will always maintain it's cheaper to RMA or issue an extended warranty for the issue (which TCL should do).

Posted via CB10
    07-23-17 10:07 AM
    TCL knows exactly what production runs of the KeyOne have the potential for the display to come loose, but just like any major company they've done the math that it's cheaper to replace on failure than to pull stock from the supply chain. Every manufacturer from autos to appliances to office supplies does the same thing. Unless the issue is one where personal injury or death is a potential factor, the accountants will always maintain it's cheaper to RMA or issue an extended warranty for the issue (which TCL should do).

Posted via CB10
    That is what they should do. Will they?

It seems that while some have thought heat (either ambient air temp or the heat of charging) might be a precursor, no one has figured out what exactly causes the issue. So will it turn up in the first two or so months of use or later including after a year. Again, a correctly built and assembled phone should not have its screen fall off even after a year.
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    07-23-17 10:28 AM
    I fully understand. Just unfortunately that we have people like Chuck, who continue to make excuses for this company. He feels bad for you, but you should have known better. Come on lol.
    You clearly lack reading comprehension skills. How many times do I have to say that what happened isn't right. I'm saying repeatedly, TCL/BBMo isn't a Tier 1 OEM.

What I've said is, how could you expect anything other than what's happened? If you want Tier 1 sales experience and support experience, buy a Tier 1 phone. TCL has been pumping out cheap, mediocre slabs for years. They may have BB design and proprietary information but that's like comparing someone with a brand new degree with a person whose been on the job five years experience in trenches.

BBMo is on learning curve and the early adopters have paid to be the beta testers. How's that apologizing for them? I haven't bought a KEYone and won't for at least another six months after these and other issues are handled.

My point was and is, why are you complaining like this is a surprise? BBMo had no carriers lined up at original rollout and has just one finally now in the USA. That carrier is where Palm went to die it's last breaths.

Carriers do their diligence and obviously feel that BBMo wasn't ready for Prime Time yet. Upon doing your diligence, what made you think BBMo was ready for your hard earned money? I'm saying YOU did no diligence and want to blame others for getting suckered. My $600 is still in my pocket. I like BB phones however I'm not paying anyone to be a beta tester. How does this attitude sound like I'm making excuses?

BTW, many on here say they're honoring the warranty. That's sounds like they're possibly committed to fixing problems. I don't know, as I said, I'm still holding my cash since I'm not an early adopter.
    mrsimon likes this.
    07-23-17 10:45 AM
    Ordered a keyone from best buy on July 15th received it on the 18th while charging it today the left side of the screen lifted. I thought i had the new and improved keyone but I didn't. Blackberry or TCL needs to pull old inventory from their vendors and label the new and improved devices. There is no need to go through all this over a phone! Got my refund tonight not ordering another one sticking with my Galaxy S8 plus.

BlackBerry just lost a sale and a long time customer.
    I had my KEYone since launch day an was having HUGE issues with freezing, sound quality, reception, calendar syncing. I was able to try out a samsung S8+ and it was smooth as butter ( as much as i don;t care for samsung), the build quality was excellent and it was only $800 NEW !! I sold my bb and now on the S8+ with no issues whatsoever. Yes is is a flagship spec device but with the problems i was having with the bb and having paid $740 (incl tx) a $60 jump to a flagship device made more sense. IF bb decides to come out with a flagship spec device to prevent these issues I'd be happy to try it out again. But of row at $800 the S8+ was too good to pass up.
    mrsimon likes this.
    07-23-17 12:14 PM
    If you guys could read, I said, it wasn't right. Then, I said, people expected too much from TCL/BBMo.

I'm saying, there's a learning curve from a manufacturer that is used to producing CHEAP phones. CHEAP as in not the QUALITY you get from Tier 1 OEM.

Building a PKB device is difficult for low cost builder that's never made one before. I'm not making excuses for them, I'm saying, what did you really "expect" ?

The business model of many of these OEMS is to get early adopters to pay to be the beta testers with initial production runs. They do it with all kinds of products, not just phones.

It started with Japanese manufacturers in the 60s and 70s. Then, Korean manufacturers in the 80s and 90s. Finally, Chinese and Indian manufacturers in 00s and 10s.

The unreasonable expectations are simply expecting Tier 1 OEM behaviors from a company that isn't there yet. I'm NOT saying it's right and never did. I'm saying why are you surprised? Do you think Six Sigma is part of their manufacturing process?
    Um, TCL has been using SIX SIGMA since 2004.

Do a little reading before talking....
    07-23-17 12:28 PM
    But by doing so, it will make their olds that have already in the market standing unsold because everyone will want the new improved one.
    This has happened before; with the Storm2 9520/9550 some owners' screens got stiff, BlackBerry released corrected versions and several people used their warranty to get one. Since they don't have control over inventory it took me six tries before I got one, if people want a new and improved KEYone they're either going to be shelling out for it or playing warranty lottery.
    07-23-17 01:12 PM
    It's discraseful...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by charogne; 07-23-17 at 04:53 PM.
    07-23-17 01:25 PM
    Just wondering if there's going to be any issues when the weather gets cold later in the year.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-17 01:42 PM
    That's not what I said. My point is you bought a phone from a cheap off brand manufacturer and then you're surprised when you didn't find Apple/IOS polish and perfection. Don't you think it makes sense to wait till company has made a few PKB's first?
    If you step back and look... without blinders... I think you will find that IS actually what you are saying.
    07-23-17 01:43 PM
    Unfortunately, I think many people forget, you're a first time customer with BBMo. In that respect, you're buying from a company with no track record, good or bad. Doesn't mean it's right, just the fact. TCL may be a successful company elsewhere, or not, but the Western markets and their expectations are different.

They have over promised and under delivered in some respects, but I think many on here set unreasonable expectations for a new company/brand with a very difficult product to build, PKB...
    Really? It would be too high an expectation for the screen on my KEYone to stay in place, forever and not just two months.
    07-23-17 04:38 PM
    Just wondering if there's going to be any issues when the weather gets cold later in the year.

Posted via CB10
    Now that is both very funny and very worrying all at the same time. Thanks for sharing :-)
    07-23-17 04:51 PM
    Though TCL has acknowledged the problem the fact of the matter is that there early launch devices still out there that are not experiencing the screenlift at all. It'd be interesting to find out if some device shipments were exposed to higher temperatures than others. To me device shipments exposed to higher temperatures could explain the screen lift/separation
    07-23-17 05:32 PM
    Is anyone else having problems besides the screen? My Nephew works at a cell phone provider and he told me they had issues with the Keyone 's Keyboard lighting on keys. Guess could be another problem. Hope not.
    07-23-17 05:39 PM
    The only thing that matters at this point is for someone to take responsibility for the issue and get it fixed! What is so hard about it I would of been fired by now if it were my responsibility get with it BlackBerry.
    bakron1 likes this.
    07-23-17 05:50 PM
    Sorry for your bad experience and I have also said that TCL/Blackberry should be labeling the devices with the screen lift fix so folks know they have the updated unit and not one from the early production run.

It's an easy solution by putting a special label on the box and is not going to break the bank. By having the special label would do a lot to ensure folks they are making the necessary corrections in the current production process. Just my two cents worth.

Spot on the only issue is stock that has not sold. They are trying to do this on the cheap. Just do a general recall, from date to date. People would understand and the problem would be gone.
    bakron1 and FF22 like this.
    07-23-17 06:16 PM
    Ordered a keyone from best buy on July 15th received it on the 18th while charging it today the left side of the screen lifted. I thought i had the new and improved keyone but I didn't. Blackberry or TCL needs to pull old inventory from their vendors and label the new and improved devices. There is no need to go through all this over a phone! Got my refund tonight not ordering another one sticking with my Galaxy S8 plus.

BlackBerry just lost a sale and a long time customer.
    Wow, sorry to hear that.

I got one from Amazon almost exactly the same time as you. Ordered 13th, delivered 18th. Looks like I'll have to be on the lookout for any loose screens.

Thanks for sharing!
    07-23-17 08:08 PM
    My device is rock solid. Even when I try to use other devices, I find myself coming back to the KeyONE. Loving it!
    07-23-17 08:20 PM
    Sorry for your bad experience and I have also said that TCL/Blackberry should be labeling the devices with the screen lift fix so folks know they have the updated unit and not one from the early production run.

It's an easy solution by putting a special label on the box and is not going to break the bank. By having the special label would do a lot to ensure folks they are making the necessary corrections in the current production process. Just my two cents worth.
    I think is not fully TCL or BlackBerry issues to re.label the lifted screen phone .I think is agents or dealers fault ,and unwilling to sent back the defects phone to TCL. BlackBerry and TCL should take actions against irresponsible dealers and agents. furthermore , TCL and BlackBerry to be apologise to customers for lifted screen and remedy plans .
    07-23-17 08:44 PM
    "How difficult is it to GLUE the effin screen? It isn't rocket science for ANY manufacturer. A guy building it in his basement would have known better."
    "if it looks easy, it is not; if it looks difficult, it is damn impossible" - many "glue" sealent, etc looks very similar, when you deal with LCD, you need EMI shielding as well, sometimes, heat conduction if back light is hot (high luminance LED stack). during new product introduction, especially after production in place, many un-predictable things can happen. Have you heard that Intel lost production yield for many month because one of new guys in the receiving open every clean packaged wafer to count them to ensure there are 10 per pack? the action introduce dust particles on to the wafer and resulted random location fault of many processor chips... The other story was some purchesing guy from a big company want to save few penny of a retaintion ring made by elastomer, change the material to a "look like the same", resulted major reliability issues in aircraft... Glue, curing method, time, how to do it, the mating surface cleaning (plasma clean time and MFG floor time) all take into effect. you can plasma clean the surface before glue in class 10,000 MFG area - get 4 hour floor life = the time you must apply the glue to get good adhesion, but if you happen to be poorly control the relative humidity and clean room condition, it could drop down to 1.5 hours floor life, that means you rest of the 2.5 hour production could be suspect poor adhesion... I would recommend the poster work a summer job on the MFG floor (especially, if you want to be a designer).
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    07-23-17 09:05 PM
171 1234 ...