Hi all,

With the recent uploads of pictures of the rumored Blackberry Mercury, I was very happy! After looking at the pictures for a little longer i noticed something interesting. I could go on for a while about the benefits and drawbacks of its operating system but its the keyboard that really caught my attention.

About a year and a bit ago, I went to go test out the PRIV. I really enjoyed the software and the design was so cool! It was great o see a slider phone again! But since it was a slider phone the keyboard really suffered. I wasn't too much a fan of the PRIV's keyboard and I'm happy to see Blackberry and TCL go at it again with the keyboard this time around.

Coming back to the Mercury, just by the pictures I can tell this keyboard is different to the PRIV's in every way. The looks of it seem to scream "BLACKBERRY" again by contrast to the PRIV which screamed "OOPS!" By that, I noticed the keys on the side of the Mercury's keyboard to curve a bit like the software keys of the s6 edge and s7 edge. But being the Blackberry fan I am, the keys reminded me of the keys of the Bold 9790 from a few years ago! They both sorta matched that compact and edgy keyboard that worked! (At least by the images of the Mercury this is my prediction...)

But the Bold 9790 keyboard didn't work for everyone who had it. I had one and immediately wasn't a fan due to its lack of "clickyness" and the curved buttons on the sides really always had my fingers sliding off and they were always stiffer than the rest of the keys.

My questions to all of you is; Do think the Mercury keyboard will be better than the PRIV's? Do you think this is the keyboard that would do blackberry any good ( just by the looks of the pictures)? and finally Where do you think Blackberry will be after they release this phone?

I know these are pretty odd questions to ask when the phone hasn't even been released yet. It might be a bit difficult to answer these questions (mainly, again, cause the phone isn't out yet!) . But I would love to hear your thoughts on it!

Cheers!
    12-31-16 02:31 PM
    I have all the confidence that it will stack up well to the BlackBerry Classic keyboard, which imo is the best keyboard BlackBerry has had to date.

Posted with my  Classic
    12-31-16 04:48 PM
    Best keyboard in my opinion is Q10 and from what I've seen it appears new phone will have keyboard very much like Q10

Posted via CB10
    12-31-16 04:58 PM
    A fixed keyboard will naturally have more travel than one built into a slider, thus, feel better as a keyboard. Unless you make the slider phone double the thickness of the fixed keyboard then mount an identical one.
    12-31-16 05:03 PM
    Best keyboard in my opinion is Q10 and from what I've seen it appears new phone will have keyboard very much like Q10

Posted via CB10
    That was the absolute worst keyboard I've used...

Classic > Bold 9900 > Bold 9000 > Q10

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    12-31-16 05:23 PM
    I just want a baby Passport, eventually.
    12-31-16 05:53 PM
    ... from what I've seen it appears new phone will have keyboard very much like Q10
    From what I've seen by comparing the renders and recent photographs of the Mercury prototype, it appears to have a keyboard very similar in size and shape to the one on the PRIV.
    01-01-17 01:20 AM
    I have all the confidence that it will stack up well to the BlackBerry Classic keyboard, which imo is the best keyboard BlackBerry has had to date.

Posted with my  Classic
    It was certainly a great keyboard! When I had my classic it was always such an awesome experience to type on it!
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    01-01-17 09:58 AM

Posted via CB10
    Well said! With the smaller screen size of the mercury (I predict 4.5 inch) the keyboard is gonna have to get shorter so that the phone isn't too tall. I loved the classics keyboard but it's probably more logical to say that the mercurys keyboard will be closer to the one of the q10! Cheers!
    01-01-17 10:03 AM
    Well said! With the smaller screen size of the mercury (I predict 4.5 inch) the keyboard is gonna have to get shorter so that the phone isn't too tall. I loved the classics keyboard but it's probably more logical to say that the mercurys keyboard will be closer to the one of the q10! Cheers!
    The Mercury keyboard appears to be very similar in height and width to the PRIV keyboard, while the Q10 keyboard is not as wide and is higher, as shown in this scaled image.
    Attached Thumbnails Different enough to be very familiar?-keyboard-comp-priv-q10-dtek70-2.jpg  
    pizzawheel and beam0511 like this.
    01-01-17 01:16 PM
    I think the Mercury keyboard will closely resemble the PRIV keyboard. I hope the Mercury kills it for BlackBerry but it won't be an overnight turn around. You should have given the PRIV an actual test rather than just messing with it in the store. There is no real way for you to know if you liked or hated the PRIV keyboard by not using it as your device for a couple of weeks.
    01-01-17 02:51 PM
    I think the Mercury keyboard will closely resemble the PRIV keyboard. I hope the Mercury kills it for BlackBerry but it won't be an overnight turn around. You should have given the PRIV an actual test rather than just messing with it in the store. There is no real way for you to know if you liked or hated the PRIV keyboard by not using it as your device for a couple of weeks.
    I highly doubt it resembles the priv, pretty sure it will resemble classics with privs/passport capabilities
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    01-01-17 04:17 PM
    I thought the Q10 had the worst keyboard. The classic and bold 9900 KB was tops in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    slagman5 likes this.
    01-01-17 07:08 PM
    I thought the Q10 had the worst keyboard. The classic and bold 9900 KB was tops in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Me too. I remember with the Bold I was typing fast as heck without even looking at the phone at all. When I got the Q10 I struggled a bit, and after a year with it I could type relatively quick on it, but was still hit or miss without looking and ultimately still slower than I was on my Bold. Then got the Classic and it was like back to normal.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    01-01-17 10:03 PM
    I concur, a baby passport that isn't so wide, I've used most and tested all, just bought my wife a Classic, the keyboard is pretty good, but the keyboard on the passport is still way better....
    01-02-17 11:09 AM
    Like spice in a kitchen, all opinions matter. I've used may BlackBerry phones and like Q10 over the others, but that's just my opinion. Prefer more garlic in Italian dishes than my wife, too, but doesn't mean her lack of more garlic means she's "wrong". Just her preferance.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-17 11:16 AM
    Like spice in a kitchen, all opinions matter. I've used may BlackBerry phones and like Q10 over the others, but that's just my opinion. Prefer more garlic in Italian dishes than my wife, too, but doesn't mean her lack of more garlic means she's "wrong". Just her preferance.

Posted via CB10
    Your wife is totally wrong re garlic.
    01-02-17 11:55 AM
    Your wife is totally wrong re garlic.
    Yeah that's a terrible metaphor.
    01-02-17 12:12 PM
    More important even.. will the double typing issue be addressed?

Posted via CB10
    01-03-17 07:31 AM
    More important even.. will the double typing issue be addressed?

Posted via CB10
    No such issues on my Classic and from many reports I've seen, software addressed that for Q10?

Posted with my  Classic
    01-03-17 11:55 AM