Was that a necessity in the designing of KEYone?

Reasons why I'm asking #1 :
    I've read and learned from reviews and posts from users that the capacitive keys are occasionally not very responsive.

Reason #2 :
    Also many users reported that when scrolling on the PKB it is very easy to accidentally trigger the row of navigation keys and it can be an inconvenience.

What do you think? Is it really necessary to make the row of navigation keys capacitive instead of on-screen only?
    05-12-17 10:28 AM
    If they made them on-screen, they would take away from the already "small" display. Even worse, when going landscape, the probably would move to the "then-bottom" and thus make the "landscape" a "widescreen".

Also, the display would've probably been just that amount of space lower and you'd have the same problem (#2).

However, I wouldn't mind them being "real" keys. But I don't know if there were problems with limited space to fit them there.
    05-12-17 10:33 AM

I've read and learned from reviews and posts from users that the capacitive keys are occasionally not very responsive.

Reason #2 :
    Also many users reported that when scrolling on the PKB it is very easy to accidentally trigger the row of navigation keys and it can be an inconvenience.

What do you think? Is it really necessary to make the row of navigation keys capacitive instead of on-screen only?
    A lot of people have been asking this (including me). yet to get to a solid reason.
    One of the possible reasons is that they needed to maintain that height of the handset due the internal circuit boards, battery, etc. Would have still liked to see that space being used to make the keyboard bigger or reduce the overall height of the handset.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-17 10:44 AM
    If they made them on-screen, they would take away from the already "small" display. Even worse, when going landscape, the probably would move to the "then-bottom" and thus make the "landscape" a "widescreen".

Also, the display would've probably been just that amount of space lower and you'd have the same problem (#2).

However, I wouldn't mind them being "real" keys. But I don't know if there were problems with limited space to fit them there.
    Accidental touches to the on screen could have been avoided via software.

I don't know the answer to this. But I strongly believe it was a bad decision.
    anon(9710735) likes this.
    05-12-17 11:21 AM
    Accidental touches to the on screen could have been avoided via software.
    In the same way, accidental touches on the touch buttons could be avoided by software, too...
    05-12-17 12:17 PM
    Maybe did they wanted to help people understanding once and for all that the phone was running Android (commercial trick ?) -could sell better than BBOS device because in a lot of minds, BB still uses it's own OS-
    05-12-17 12:23 PM
    Maybe did they wanted to help people understanding once and for all that the phone was running Android (commercial trick ?) -could sell better than BBOS device because in a lot of minds, BB still uses it's own OS-
    Interesting point of view. However, I think sacrificing the convenience and usability at the expense of end users is a bad idea. Why not spend more resources on better promo campaigns and advertisement to make sure people know this phone runs on Android?
    05-12-17 05:11 PM
    In the same way, accidental touches on the touch buttons could be avoided by software, too...
    I don't know if the capacitive buttons can be programmed easy as the on screen buttons. Just don't know .
    05-13-17 04:12 AM
    I really like the idea of these keys. The apps that hide my navigation keys on my tablet drive me nuts. I believe you will all like it once you get used to it.
    mbirth likes this.
    05-13-17 08:11 AM
    Actually, after heavily using the device in the last few days, I've never found the keys to be unresponsive nor have I triggered them by accident when scrolling using the keyboard...

And don't forget that most reviews were made with pre-productions devices and an older firmware.
    05-13-17 09:01 AM
    I believe this question is best answered by people who have actually been using the K1 for at least a couple of days. From what I have heard the 'accidental' touches while using the PKB is only a temporary thing.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-17 09:13 AM
    Slab devices have a major "accidental touch" problem. When I scroll, a gesture only possible by touching the screen (but on KeyOne it's done using the pkb), I often accidentally touch a part of the screen that generates a change, e.g. another website or whatever.

My point is that EVERY device has its problems, including accidental touches. People seem to be looking for criticisms of this device.
    05-13-17 09:39 AM
    I have zero issues with number 1, they work great for me. I agree with reason for 2 and have been hitting them accidentally all the time, especially because only the top two rows of keyboard are used for scrolling.
    anon(9710735) likes this.
    05-13-17 09:53 AM

Reason #2 :

#1 :
    On my production unit, I can savely say there are no problems in terms of resposiveness of those navigation keys. Neither of them requires any force or multiple tries to activate them. Maybe this was another quirk of those preproduction units handed out to most reviewers? (just like the uneven keyboard light)

#2 :
    This is actually some sort of problem which you start to avoid while learning the ergonomics of the new device. At first it happened to me a couple of days, no, almost a week later, this happens very rarely. I do have to say I wish they would've made those buttons physical like they did on the keyboard, maybe even to support the capacitive tracking capabilities in portrait mode, which are somewhat awkward at the moment.
    05-13-17 10:25 AM

Reason #2 :

#1 :
    On my production unit, I can savely say there are no problems in terms of resposiveness of those navigation keys. Neither of them requires any force or multiple tries to activate them. Maybe this was another quirk of those preproduction units handed out to most reviewers? (just like the uneven keyboard light)

#2 :
    This is actually some sort of problem which you start to avoid while learning the ergonomics of the new device. At first it happened to me a couple of days, no, almost a week later, this happens very rarely. I do have to say I wish they would've made those buttons physical like they did on the keyboard, maybe even to support the capacitive tracking capabilities in portrait mode, which are somewhat awkward at the moment.
    05-13-17 10:25 AM
    In the end you will get used to the buttons being so close to the keyboard. Initially it was pretty annoying while scrolling, but now that I'm used to it doesn't really happen too often.
    05-13-17 11:33 AM
    Think i'd prefer the device to be 10mm shorter, or have the viewing area be 10mm taller. That said: It's nice never getting stuck in full screen mode.

Seems strange to me, bezeless designs seem to be the trend this year. BlackBerry basically removed the bottom bezel on the priv and could of made the top bezel smaller by removing the BlackBerry logo, now the lgg6 the galaxy 8's and apparently the iphone 8 will be bezeless. I don't really like bezeless designs because it's too easy for hands to interfere with the touch screen. Bezeless designs only really make sense on qwertys in my opinion.

Best conspiracy theory I can come up with is they're leaving room to add a toolbelt for a bb10 version.
    05-14-17 02:19 AM