I always enjoy Erica Griffin's (The Angel of Music 1989) reviews especially on BlackBerry devices! Her K1 & K2 reviews have some really good reporting and she is planning on adding more about the K2. But in her current K2 review she said something about the older K1 that caught my attention (since she used to love the device):

"And this was a great phone! I did use it a lot until it started slowing down. It just did not want to behave with some applications. So I'm hoping that extra 3GB of RAM is going to make a difference."

I'm sure the improved specs of the K2 will make a world of difference. But for those of us still with the K1 and may not be planning or able to upgrade any time soon, is there anything we can do (short of wiping the device) to improve performance?
    06-21-18 08:08 AM
    You can look here.
    You can look here.
    coffee-turtle and FF22 like this.
    06-21-18 08:21 AM
    You can't counteract hardware. By default the 625 is a slow processor. It's made to be slow.

Additionally, TCL it seems can't set up garbage disposal properly, so the phone starts lagging.

This would be fine if it was a cheap Alcatel phone. But it was a premium priced BlackBerry.

The key one was pure trash, the take2 seems to be a little better, time will tell.
    jope28 likes this.
    06-21-18 08:23 AM
    Here are a couple of suggestions that may improve the device's speed, but I hope we can get some more from the community.

Over time we add apps...some of us may add apps like crazy (you know who you are). Once in awhile it might be a good idea to evaluate what apps turned out to be junk, the ones you hardly use, and the ones you don't use at all. As long as an app is installed, it can potentially run in the background using various phone resources. Free up those resources for the apps that matter, not to mention the OS itself.

So, you removed all of those apps that you never use (there were more than you though, right?), what next? Well, those apps that you rarely use could probably be deleted too, but there is always that "what-if" scenario when you just might need it on the rare occasion. So leave it if you must, but keep it from running in the background every time you start your phone:

Open Power Center
    Tap on Manage automatic apps
    And simply switch of the apps that you do not want opening automatically in the background.
    (You may have to experiment if there are any apps that don't function well with this setting. Some apps you may need to keep them starting up with your device).

An easy suggestion is just reboot your phone more than once a week. Give it a nice fresh start! It will thank you.

Again, I think the above might help, but I hope to hear more from the community and get some further insights.
    BigBadWulf, FF22 and anon(2695703) like this.
    06-21-18 08:29 AM
    You can't counteract hardware. By default the 625 is a slow processor. It's made to be slow.

Additionally, TCL it seems can't set up garbage disposal properly, so the phone starts lagging.

This would be fine if it was a cheap Alcatel phone. But it was a premium priced BlackBerry.

The key one was pure trash, the take2 seems to be a little better, time will tell.
    Is this supposed to be helpful?
    coffee-turtle likes this.
    06-21-18 08:33 AM
    You can't counteract hardware. <snip> time will tell.
    Thanks John for your input. I can't say that I agree with you. I actually do not have any lag issues, but wanted to generate some discussion on what a person can do. You've offered a dead end here.
    BigBadWulf and brookie229 like this.
    06-21-18 08:34 AM
    You can look here.
    That's some great information! I should have searched first. It looks like the suggestions I made were covered in the thread you referenced. I really appreciate it. I know reviewers and others probably don't have time to troubleshoot, but I think we owe it to the community to offer some help where we can. (Not everyone can get a new phone every month).
    BigBadWulf and FF22 like this.
    06-21-18 08:38 AM
    Here are a couple of suggestions that may improve the device's speed, but I hope we can get some more from the community.

Over time we add apps...some of us may add apps like crazy (you know who you are). Once in awhile it might be a good idea to evaluate what apps turned out to be junk, the ones you hardly use, and the ones you don't use at all. As long as an app is installed, it can potentially run in the background using various phone resources. Free up those resources for the apps that matter, not to mention the OS itself.

So, you removed all of those apps that you never use (there were more than you though, right?), what next? Well, those apps that you rarely use could probably be deleted too, but there is always that "what-if" scenario when you just might need it on the rare occasion. So leave it if you must, but keep it from running in the background every time you start your phone:

Open Power Center
    Tap on Manage automatic apps
    And simply switch of the apps that you do not want opening automatically in the background.
    (You may have to experiment if there are any apps that don't function well with this setting. Some apps you may need to keep them starting up with your device).

An easy suggestion is just reboot your phone more than once a week. Give it a nice fresh start! It will thank you.

Again, I think the above might help, but I hope to hear more from the community and get some further insights.
    Boy, do I need discipline in this regard. I have way too many apps that are rarely used but they sounded intriguing when I first read about them. And a combination of laziness and "I might need them" or "the developer might add ads" keep them on my device. I should get a bit more ruthless and sort through them sooner rather than later.

Although, I, too, don't really suffer from lag. But still, my phone should not be like my basement - a repository for everything and anything that I've acquired along the way just because there's still room.
    06-21-18 09:43 AM
    Boy, do I need discipline in this regard. I have way too many apps that are rarely used but they sounded intriguing when I first read about them.
    <sniip>
    I think we are all a little guilty of that. But in the meantime, these apps become like parasites, slowly sipping your phone's resources. If my BB was able to be rooted, I would use Titanium Backup Pro to backup and uninstall these types of apps,
    FF22 likes this.
    06-21-18 10:13 AM

LULZ
    06-21-18 03:37 PM
    06-24-18 01:34 AM