You know I've been biting my tongue about this whole Keyone experience and so now I'm just gonna say what everyone has been thinking...

This phone launch has failed miserably. Period.

I was so excited to get this phone which was supposed to actually launch on 5/31which turned out to be a very flaky one to put it best.

In fact there has been many BlackBerry missteps.

The Playbook. Great tablet. Great specs for its time. The misstep?

Not including email, calendar, contacts in the initial launch and pissing a lot of people off until they finally included it in the second version of the software. By then, people were turned off by the fact you had to bridge it to your blackberry phone to have those features. Fail.

The Priv. Nice phone. Slider. Keyboard. The misstep?

Price too high and subpar battery life. Fail

The DTEK phones. The misstep?

Zzzzzzzz. Not what true BlackBerry users want. Fail.

The Passport. Great build quality. Loud stereo speakers. Great specs. Great battery. Great looks. Great call, email, contact management. Reasonable price. The misstep?

None. This was Blackberry's Halo phone. In fact, I'm typing this post out on my Silver one. I have the red and black one. I love this phone that much that I bought 3 different colors. Never done that with any other phone PASS!!

The Keyone. Shoddy build quality. Dim screen. Screen lifts, keyboard not working properly, fake inventory, poor sound, poor call quality, laggy performance, etc

Stop making excuses for this phone people. Bottom line it just sucks. I don't baby my Passport and it is rock solid. You're trying very hard to make this phone work, I get it. You want it to be a good phone and its not happening. Demand better. I want BlackBerry to do better. You could've taken the silver Passport and modified it (upgraded camera, Android 7.1, maybe some other mild mods to make it different from the old Silver Passport). I would've paid 650 easy for it.

I'm trying to be in your corner BlackBerry. You can do better. The playing field has changed since you were on top. I'm not loyal to BlackBerry, Iphone, Samsung, HTC or any other brand. I want a good phone that can deliver the things I want. I want quality. I want productivity. I have a Samsung 8 Plus. It's a good phone for what it's designed to do. I have an IPhone. It too is good for what it is designed to do. I still use my BlackBerry Passport because it is very good on what it is designed to do. I want the Keyone to be in this class but it can't. Not in this version. You're bigger than this BlackBerry. Stop trying to hit me and HIT ME!
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by dougmixer; 07-06-17 at 01:56 AM.
    07-06-17 01:45 AM
    Your whole thesis seems to miss that the launch is nothing to do with Blackberry.
    hpjrt and john_v like this.
    07-06-17 01:57 AM
    Your whole thesis seems to miss that the launch is nothing to do with Blackberry.
    The normal customer buys a * BlackBerry * KEYone, not a * TCL * KEYone.

BlackBerry or TCL now, it doesn't matter. Fact is the *BlackBerry* KEYone has issues, delays and other things to complain.

07-06-17 02:07 AM
    I guess what I'm trying to say is this phone was plagued with problems including the launch. People are upset that this phone is not only hard to get due to limited inventory (why?) and when the finally get it, it's comes with problems. I'm not hating on BlackBerry trust me. But I will not make excuses for a subpar phone that was designed to deliver on what it promised.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-17 02:08 AM
    Agreed. Not only that, but the vast and silent majority like me, have perfect, rock solid KEYones. I came from a passport and I love this phone.
    mbirth, Barbareren, hpjrt and 2 others like this.
    07-06-17 02:09 AM
    I feel for the people who got a bad one but bad batches happen especially in the early days. We have seen it with plenty of hardware launches. If my screen ever lifts guess what, I will use the warranty, a price I pay for being an early adopter but no big deal in the scheme of things.

Mine is rock solid. Not a bit of lag, on the contrary its snappy as you like and hasn't put a foot wrong even when gaming. Screen is certainly not dim when you turn off adaptive brightness. Keyboard works a treat, I especially love scrolling in portrait mode. Call quality certainly on a par with my iPhone, never loses signal. I personally like the simplicity of the camera but I appreciate advanced users may find it lacking. Works for my needs. Sound is excellent especially when paired to my arcam rblink or B and O Bluetooth headphones.

And of course that epic battery life. I'm off out for a day in London and where friends will no doubt be using charging points or reaching for bulky battery packs, I will be going strong.

And those looks which are to die for.

This forum is at times enough to put me off the phone such is the negativity at times. I then have to just remind myself of the above, remember that this really is the best phone I have ever used.

The passport is an excellent device and if it works for you then I'm happy. Sadly it is obsolete for most modern users and I say that with a heavy heart because I'm a fan of the phone and bb10. I do think it's fair to say though that the keyone IS an objectively better device when all things are considered.
    07-06-17 02:11 AM
    To Mercuryone

You were one of the fortunate ones to have a good experience with your phone. But the fact still remains, It's not about me casting negativity this product. No one can deny that this phone has upset a lot of people due to poor build quality. These are the facts. Again, this can be a better phone. That's all I'm trying to say.

Posted via CB10
    jeffsantos and mister2d like this.
    07-06-17 02:24 AM
    To Mercuryone

You were one of the fortunate ones to have a good experience with your phone. But the fact still remains, It's not about me casting negativity this product. No one can deny that this phone has upset a lot of people due to poor build quality. These are the facts. Again, this can be a better phone. That's all I'm trying to say.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, it could be better (impo), but it's pretty cool as it is. Your principle could be applied to almost every single consumer product available on this earth. It is what it is. I have a "could have been, wish it was" list too, but it doesn't change anything. Regardless, I happen to like and enjoy my K1 and it does everything I need and want it to do ....so does my Dtek60.

Yet, I admit that I'm simple and biased. Much respect goes out to you and your feelings, thoughts, and ideas. Can't argue with that. My best response is "BlackBerry FTW!". Seriously.
    skinnymike1 and pinkvikchick like this.
    07-06-17 02:42 AM
    To Mercuryone

Posted via CB10
    Negative news always shouts louder.

You say with great authority that I am one of the 'fortunate ones'. Sure we have heard what appears to be a lot of negative reports, but in the scheme of total sales how many people do they really represent? The way things are presented here on Crackberry is that the good handsets are anomalies. I don't think anyone has the data to make that assumption.

I find the reviews section on the CPW site interesting, real world users, having mostly very positive experiences with the device.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=7_TLjaBo
    07-06-17 02:50 AM
    I had hoped when reading the title that you were demanding a better quality of person to actually sell the device, dovetailing off this thread.

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...rvice-1114228/

That would be my rant. Sadly the UK is finished in that respect for a great many reasons which are outside the scope of this forum.
    07-06-17 03:06 AM
    The screen isn't dim, in fact that is why I didnt like the Passport, the screen was too dim too often because you couldn't turn off adaptive display. Once you turn off adaptive display on the KeyOne it is plenty bright.

I also have no lag or screen lift. I feel bad for those that had issues with their KeyOne but for many people the complaints raised in the OP don't apply.
    Barbareren likes this.
    07-06-17 03:32 AM
    crackberry reminds me of major news networks.. they report death, famine, disease, negativity.. then I turn the tube off and go outside and it's heavenly (I live in Hawaii btw). Same goes for crackberry forums, I use all my Blackberrys and they all work flawlessly, then I'll decide to jump in the forums to kill some time and all hell is breaking loose. Sheesh people, get a grip.
    07-06-17 03:54 AM
    You know I've been biting my tongue about this whole Keyone experience and so now I'm just gonna say what everyone has been thinking...

I was so excited to get this phone which was supposed to actually launch on 5/31which turned out to be a very flaky one to put it best.

Not including email, calendar, contacts in the initial launch and pissing a lot of people off until they finally included it in the second version of the software. By then, people were turned off by the fact you had to bridge it to your blackberry phone to have those features. Fail.

The Passport. Great build quality. Loud stereo speakers. Great specs. Great battery. Great looks. Great call, email, contact management. Reasonable price. The misstep?

None. This was Blackberry's Halo phone. In fact, I'm typing this post out on my Silver one. I have the red and black one. I love this phone that much that I bought 3 different colors. Never done that with any other phone PASS!!

The Keyone. Shoddy build quality. Dim screen. Screen lifts, keyboard not working properly, fake inventory, poor sound, poor call quality, laggy performance, etc

Stop making excuses for this phone people. Bottom line it just sucks. I don't baby my Passport and it is rock solid. You're trying very hard to make this phone work, I get it. You want it to be a good phone and its not happening. Demand better. I want BlackBerry to do better. You could've taken the silver Passport and modified it (upgraded camera, Android 7.1, maybe some other mild mods to make it different from the old Silver Passport). I would've paid 650 easy for it.

I'm trying to be in your corner BlackBerry. You can do better. The playing field has changed since you were on top. I'm not loyal to BlackBerry, Iphone, Samsung, HTC or any other brand. I want a good phone that can deliver the things I want. I want quality. I want productivity. I have a Samsung 8 Plus. It's a good phone for what it's designed to do. I have an IPhone. It too is good for what it is designed to do. I still use my BlackBerry Passport because it is very good on what it is designed to do. I want the Keyone to be in this class but it can't. Not in this version. You're bigger than this BlackBerry. Stop trying to hit me and HIT ME!
    Posted via CB10
    I've owned the KeyOne for a week now.

So far, very happy with it. The DTEK60 really disappointed me in the end - its performance simply didn't stack up against its specs. it lagged, horribly. No such issue with the KeyOne.

Build quality feels excellent. Of course, if I end up with screen lift I'll be less happy.
    07-06-17 03:57 AM
    Hmmm. I think some of you are still missing my point. So let me try this a different way....

The iPhone 6 had the bendgate issue. Remember that? Somebody was able to bend this phone. People first response was "how much force did you put on it?" or "I would never try to bend my phone like that". Then some (not all) people started reporting that their phones were in fact bending. Maybe they had it in their pockets and sat or moved the wrong way. Apple denied it at first. Then more and more reports started to surface and in the end Apple had to take ownership and address the issue. Solution? They came out with a stronger aluminum material for their phone.

Samsung Note 7: Exploding battery. This was a complete fiasco. Did everybody have this issue? Probably not. But enough people had this problem to where it raised a major concern. So much so, that Samsung was forced to recall all phones and scrap the Note 7 completely. The solution? They went back and rest assured built a better phone which was the Samsung S8. Solid performer.

My point is just because you don't have a problem with your phone doesn't make it true for everyone else. There is a problem here. This is not a one-off issue. There are more people who are coming forth reporting a very common issue to where it raises a major concern. While you may not have an issue, there are many people who are waking up with screen lift issues. People who had their phone for a week with no issues and then screen lift. A slight drop...screen lift. I saw one reviewer who was simply trying to take the phone out of its packaging and...screen lift. This is a problem pure and simple. And I'm only pointing this one out but there are several other issues that people are reporting. Just read the forums here...I'm not making this stuff up. I was all in to buy this phone but with these reports, it made me take a step back. Above all, was this frustrating issue with the so-called inventory. You still cannot go into Bestbuy and pick this phone up. There is a not a demo of this phone anywhere in BestBuy. Why?

TCL may have built this phone but when I look at the box and the phone, it has BLACK BERRY all over it. So, in my mind, this is a Blackberry phone. So if you're having a flawless experience with Keyone, then I tip my hat off to you. But you will never convince me that this phone doesn't have major issues that should raise a concern for the consumer. You guys keep taking it as I'm hating on Blackberry. I am not. I love Blackberry. I wan't them to win...give Apple and Samsung a run for their money. I have Blackberry products. But my faith is shaken with what has transpired with the Keyone business.
    07-06-17 05:11 AM

My point is just because you don't have a problem with your phone doesn't make it true for everyone else. There is a problem here. This is not a one-off issue. There are more people who are coming forth reporting a very common issue to where it raises a major concern. While you may not have an issue, there are many people who are waking up with screen lift issues. People who had their phone for a week with no issues and then screen lift. A slight drop...screen lift. I saw one reviewer who was simply trying to take the phone out of its packaging .
    Your point still isn't particularly clear to me in all honesty.

Just because one person doesn't have a problem, doesn't make it true for everyone else? Well, this is true of any product. Mobile phones in particular regularly have issues, especially early manufacturing cycle.

Is there a design flaw with the adhesive? Yes. Has is been officially acknowledged? Yes.

If BlackBerry Mobile respond by improving adhesive application, that's a sensible response.

I don't know where you're going with this or what you expect to happen.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    07-06-17 05:20 AM

Hmmm. I think some of you are still missing my point. So let me try this a different way....
    My point is just because you don't have a problem with your phone doesn't make it true for everyone else.

My point is just because you have a problem with your phone doesn't make it true for everyone else.

As i said, negative news shouts the loudest. Clearly for some it becomes a universal truth
    07-06-17 05:27 AM
    It's actually quite simple. Provide some real inventory as they should have on 5/31 and address the issue with these screens and provide a trade in program for these phones that are defective. Not a lot to ask for a 550 dollar phone.

Posted via CB10
    jeffsantos and mister2d like this.
    07-06-17 05:29 AM
    And that was a typo...

Just because you DON'T have a problem with your phone doesn't make it true for everyone else. Good catch.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-17 05:32 AM
    And that was a typo...

Just because you DON'T have a problem with your phone doesn't make it true for everyone else. Good catch.

Posted via CB10
    I wasn't drawing attention to a typo. No need for the bold emphasis, it was perfectly fine as you originally typed it.

I was simply turning your argument on its head which to me seems far more logical. For some reason though people want to place more emphasis on the negative to write off the phone as being inherently faulty.

I would argue that in the absence of true data, we should take the measured approach which is to say this is a fundamentally good phone ( a thing confirmed by the myriad positive reviews and satisfied customers ) suffering with a few early batch issues which are in the process of being addressed by the manufacturer. This is something that affects all devices from hoovers to cars.
    Only when a device enters the arena of the fanboy do these perfectly normal things become magnified
    Last edited by Mercuryuser; 07-06-17 at 06:54 AM.
    07-06-17 06:21 AM
    my two cents if it is even worth that. I have had quite a few phones. I have carried iPhones, many android phones, and through work Blackberrys. I will say that as I used them for work they slowly started creeping into my personal life, and it seems that that's all I carry anymore. The notion that the blackberry is plagued with problems is true sort of. I can say from experience that I have had many phones from other providers that have had issues.

I feel this one is no different it has some issues depending on build date and it appears where you got it. I for one had the screen issue they sent me a new one and I am up and running in a week. I can say that during that down time I had to switch to my PRIV and I relized when I got the K1 back how much better it is than the PRIV. I was one of the lucky ones and my PRIV had no glaring issues.

I think we have to remember that that TCL was given specs to this phone and they probably have never done a physical keyboard phone. it has some issues that they are fixing and for what it is worth I think it's an incredible device. I had a passport but could not keep running it due to lack of apps and things I need for work and let's face it it was big and not easy to carry in a front shirt pocket or jeans. I feel here we have a phone that allows me to work as I need to and it allows me to do that all day without jumping on a charger. it doesn't lag for me. well, okay lets be honest it doesn't lag as long as I don't have the facebook app. all of my android phones hate that app. Props to someone on the board that mentioned Metal Pro because that has removed the laggy Facebook app from my phone.

I think we need to keep an eye out for some updates to help with phone reception and corky Bluetooth problems. we know most of these can be fixed with software updates. I for one had no Bluetooth issues until the update so software patches will help. I think as long as TCL stays invested in fixing the issues it will build customer confidence and they will be okay. I felt they took care of me with a prompt replacement that they said will hold. So far so good in this case time will tell, but I for one am not to worried I have a year warrenty and then insurance just in case.

I will simply say this phone for me has met and exceeded my expectations
    BigBadWulf and pinkvikchick like this.
    07-06-17 06:53 AM

Posted via CB10
    Speaking of the Playbook, looks like you took one out of Trump's playbook. Come out of the gate with a barrage of speculative statements.... so much overwhelming crap that people will be too exhausted to disprove your alternative facts. Worst of all, those on the fence with regards to buying a K1 may actually believe your rant. #sad

Your list of complaints includes "shoddy build quality" AND "screen lift"? Besides the screen lift, I know of no other build quality issues. In fact, the device is firmly built. Adding duplicates to your list of K1 complaints make it seem like you were trying to pad your stats.

Dim screen and laggy performance? Again, these are weak. The K1 is noticeably faster than the Priv, yet you didn't include "laggy performance" as a complaint with the Priv, did you? Sure, I bet you could overload the K1 in a way to make it lag. Why am I sure of this? Because the phone was never advertised as being a spec-beast. If you purchased a K1 to do process-intensive tasks (video editing, gaming, etc) that cause it to lag, then that's a problem with your judgment - not the phone. Day in and day out, my K1 performs remarkably better than my Priv. Dim screen? Where did you have to dig to come up with that one??? I have yet to see a thread where anyone complained of a dim screen. Most people seem to have no problem with the screen brightness. So... let's put a line through laggy performance and dim screen.

I'll give ya "poor (speaker) sound", but "poor sound quality?" That's a bit too general. Are you referring to how people hear you or how you hear them? Speaker phone? I did my own test against the Priv. The caller could not determine when I was speaking on the Priv or speaking on the K1.

Then finally, we have "fake inventory".... which I would refer to as "fake news." I know it's easy to throw out accusations, but do you have ANY proof of this? Any real conclusive proof of fake inventory? No. You don't. Just because they went conservative with the stock doesn't mean there's "fake inventory". You obviously have amnesia because BlackBerry screwed up the Passport launch due to shortages. The phone was initially received well, then interest began to fade as the device became difficult to acquire. Eventually, mainstream interest fizzled and momentum stopped. Accusing BlackBerry of having a "fake inventory" because Best Buy isn't squared away with their supply is just wrong. You have no insider information on Best Buy's sales agreement with BlackBerry, do you? No clue as to the terms and conditions in which Best Buy agreed to sell it, so all you can do is use your wild imagination to come up with terms like "fake inventory." You should apologize for that one because you're simply making things up.

So at the end of the day, your rant is simply overstating a fact that we all know - there's a screen lift issue with a large number of devices. Yes. That's true. Besides the screen lift.. the phone is performing exactly as you would expect within the context of it's listed specifications.
    07-06-17 08:49 AM
    The only better thing I'd like to demand is a limited edition Porsche Design keyone which I will pick up when no-one buys it and it's cheap.
    Thaefner18 likes this.
    07-06-17 08:56 AM
    The normal customer buys a * BlackBerry * KEYone, not a * TCL * KEYone.

BlackBerry or TCL now, it doesn't matter. Fact is the *BlackBerry* KEYone has issues, delays and other things to complain.

The normal customer buys a * Samsung * or an * Apple * phone, not a KEYone. I really doubt that most of the purchasing base isn't the same faithful that stuck around from the Priv, the Passport, and other past BB phones.

That's not to say that BlackBerry Limited has zero hand in this; they do handle the software after all. But device production (or lack thereof), carrier support (or lack thereof), quality control (or lack thereof), those are TCL/BlackBerry Mobile's problems. From what I read on here the software is the best thing going for the KEYone.
    07-06-17 09:05 AM
    Well I mean I agree that the screen lift appears to be a serious issue. How serious? Well it's hard to know but it seems to be prevalent enough to be considered a big issue. But the Passport also had this issue, keep in mind.

But the other complaints....the dim screen has no validity. It was something I was worried about before buying but the screen is not dim.

The lag....that does seem to be an issue too. More than a couple people reported lag but after resetting their phones the lag is gone. I was lucky enough to have zero lag so far. So it does seem Blackberry did something odd in their software that causes some to lag....someone suggested that when they set their phone up NOT as a new device but as a transfer of old data to new device, that is the culprit in causing lag. They reset their phones as new device and the lag was gone.

The inventory....ok I will agree on that too. TCL had a lot of time to make enough devices and didn't...in fact it is still sold out at many places. The Best Buy (US electronics store) where I got mine told me they only got 5 units on Launch and sold all 5 in the first half hour they were open and then got 5 more one week later and sold all 5 within an hour after they got them. Even Nexus (now Pixel) phones and Hauwei gives Best Buy more than 5 units on launch.

So I somewhat agree that the launch was sort of botched. To the level of the Iphone's antenna gate or the Note 7 battery problem? Maybe.

But on the other hand like a few of the people above, we finally got our KeyOnes and we feel our device is gorgeous, runs smooth as butter, takes great pics, is among the best or is the best Blackberry we've ever owned and then we come on here to read about our device and it's all gloom and doom from half of the users. And maybe the gloom is legit. But the other half don't have our head in the sand, this really has been a great device for me.

In my opinion this is the first Blackberry that can go toe to toe with the big guys. Don't get me wrong, I might prefer the Passport but it was missing apps and the camera was good but not nearly as good as the other phones out at the time - the Keyone can get shots as good as the S8, G6, Pixel and Iphone...at least in good lighting. There is no app gap here. So anyway I feel that the OP is probably half correct...there has been some issues with the launch at a time when Blackberry really can't afford problems anymore... but for many of us it's been glorious!
    Livermore and pinkvikchick like this.
    07-06-17 09:16 AM
    Why isn't anyone allowed to like this phone? Why can't it just suit my needs right now? I flop back and forth between Huawei, Samsung and Blackberry, I'm certainly no fangirl. I'm boxing this puppy up as soon as the Note comes out anyway. :-P
    07-06-17 09:59 AM
114 123 ...