Worked out very well with the highly sucessfully priv too.
    delayed, expensive and a bit outdated.
    05-09-17 02:12 PM
    Ok, that explains why they produced just a few hundred of them.
    Totally makes sense from a business perspective.
    They've scaled production to expected demand (CrackBerry), given the past several years of phone releases and the unique selling points of the KEYone. Attempting to go big or go home gave them the Z10 and that cool billion in unsold inventory.
    05-09-17 02:18 PM
    Snapdragon 625 is mid 2016 chipset and I thought everyone knew that it wasn't new chipset. Keyone is mid range phone at best so don't expect too much!
    You thought "everybody" knew????
    That would mean I didn't get the memo...... again!!!
    05-09-17 03:12 PM
    You thought "everybody" knew????
    That would mean I didn't get the memo...... again!!!
    I guess you don't really care about phone spec. When they announced the keyone, first thing you check is the phone spec. That way we can determine how phone will perform.
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    05-09-17 03:15 PM
    I guess you don't really care about phone spec. When they announced the keyone, first thing you check is the phone spec. That way we can determine how phone will perform.
    Of course I care. I was kidding and I did say something about the general consumer not understanding it.
    What I DON'T care for is so much seriousness over this. We can have a conversation and have fun at the same time... NO???
    05-09-17 04:05 PM
    Specs are not everyrhing maybe the new chipset boost some power but consume more battery?

Posted via CB10
    05-09-17 04:31 PM
    I think BlackBerry is better off in not playing with new chipset. 625 is tried and tested.

They had a very bad experience with PRIV where it was total disaster out of the box, heating up and battery so bad you can see the % go down as you use it. Yes they patched a few things, but that's what they had to do mostly to fix the build related issues.
    05-09-17 04:35 PM
    Specs are not everyrhing maybe the new chipset boost some power but consume more battery?

Posted via CB10
    That's the point.

The SoC is one spec. Battery life is another spec. One trades off against the other. As to which one is "higher" depends on the target market.
    05-09-17 04:35 PM
    My idea indeed and more performance means also warmth and heat. Now reviews are suprised the device not heating up when they push a lot of apps. So in my opinion the chipset 625 is fine.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-17 04:38 PM
    They've scaled production to expected demand (CrackBerry), given the past several years of phone releases and the unique selling points of the KEYone. Attempting to go big or go home gave them the Z10 and that cool billion in unsold inventory.
    I hear that about the z10 every once in a while, did they eventually sell all of them, or are they still sitting around? I could have seen a sweetheart deal for university students or high schoolers on frosh week for something like that, or a release in another country.
    The device in hand surely would have encouraged the blackberryworld store, rather than gathering dust, or in the dustbin...if they still are.
    05-09-17 09:52 PM
    I hear that about the z10 every once in a while, did they eventually sell all of them, or are they still sitting around? I could have seen a sweetheart deal for university students or high schoolers on frosh week for something like that, or a release in another country.
    They dished em out to bargain sellers and deals sites. Doesn't really matter either way, they wrote down the cost and ate it financially even if they ended up like an ATARI E.T. game.
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    05-09-17 11:16 PM
    I never saw them in a bargain bin anywhere though (lol)..though surpisingly Staples.ca still sells them and the Leap and the Z30 (I guess they still outspec some bargain Android phones even today, even though they are several generations behind.)
    05-10-17 12:06 AM
    Have most not realized in life that the car with the biggest HP out put isn't often times the fastest or best performing car?! The same crap applies to most chips and their housing products.
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    05-10-17 01:03 AM
    BB is no longer design phone. BBM is. normally, to update a phone within the same platform (same generation), you based on prior release (e.g. Merc) and collect a list of wish list for upgrade in the same platform (e.g. form factor, power consumption, software OSx.y = the y that changes, not the x... so your majority of hardware still the same, for example, 4G, not 5G). after defined time - say 12 month, you do an assessment, see any update required, or better jump to next gen (like 5G - if major components, chip set, amp etc are ready.. missing key components, consider either make your own if you have capability - like sammy or apple, or you can form partnership with someone or you just make your unique part. If not, put on back burner and wait)... you do follow roadmap of key vendor (they share with you if your engineer is good... way before make announcement, you get 6-8 month early to peek the next gen parts... help vendor, like qualcomm to assessing the demand and help them to optimize the parts - if engineer is capable, such as advanced failure analysis). I have seen in my old life some of the good product didn't require any update, even after the scheduled update - the wish list is so insignificant to the performance, even for next gen, deem not required for update (of course the market demand still there even after 5 years) - that, is a superior design.
    you guys wake me up once you jump from 6xx 8xx to this.. that would be interesting... https://www.qualcomm.com/news/onq/20...enkopf-keynote
    05-10-17 07:31 AM
    There's always going to be something better coming down the pipeline. I think that with technology you have to enjoy what you have now and not worry or think about what's coming next, because there is always something coming next and you'll never be happy if you worry about what then next great thing is.
    krazyatom likes this.
    05-10-17 10:43 AM
    They dished em out to bargain sellers and deals sites. Doesn't really matter either way, they wrote down the cost and ate it financially even if they ended up like an ATARI E.T. game.
    Wait, so we might find a bunch of new Z10's buried out in the desert somewhere?? ;-)

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    05-10-17 10:52 AM
    Knowing these new chips are coming, I would have either released the phone much closer to its February rollout or, at this point, would have delayed it a few more weeks to have current generation chips in them which are not only speed and battery improvements but also include fairly significant improvements to the camera chip, LTE speed, Bluetooth 5 and QuickCharge 4.0.
    You would have released the KEYone in February? Like it was ready and being mass produced at that time? The KEYone wasn't ready then and if you were making decisions, you would have wasted a bunch of money on an advertising campaign to sell... nothing.

TCL wasn't sitting on the KEYone until now for dramatic effect. They didn't have the KEYone ready to sell. The announcement in February was due to a large mobile trade show available at the time, a trade show that a lot of mobile tech reporters and bloggers would already be attending, a trade show that makes it easier to show off an upcoming product.

There are always new chips coming. You build with what is currently available or continue to wait and as many have expressed, TCL/BlackBerry Mobile doesn't have the luxury of releasing things later. They need product now.
    05-10-17 01:04 PM
    They simply looked back to the priv launch and were like "that was awesome, lets make BlackBerry great again"
    05-10-17 03:52 PM
68 123