My Priv has become so slow that I need to update. It is hard going from a Priv to something else. Big screen, thin, lightweight, wireless charging (AT&T) good camera - not best and keyboard there when you want it but it does not take from the screen.

This is for personal use not on a managed enterprise server.

The Keyone is in the middle of the pack for performance and is now likely only to get one OS update to 8.*. It has the Blackberry kernel lock to prevent rooting and has all the nice software I like from BB. The screen is smaller and perhaps lower quality than that on the Priv or S8.

At 1/2 the price of an S8, I could replace it once in the time I would expect the S8 to last.

The S8 should get two OS upgrades to OS 10.*

The S9 is due out in a few months I hear. which will have OS 9 that the keyone will probably never see but could see OS 11. before EOL.

My tendency is to but the most advanced and keep it longer.

So, the decision:

(1) Struggle with the Priv until the S9 comes out or BB released an new model
    targeted to the high end. (2) Get a Keyone and plan to replace it in a year or so. (3) get a S8 and install the BB software and live with the rooting risk.

What do you advise?

Additonally, if getting a Keyone, is the AT&T model better than the unlocked LTE model on Amazon or Bestbuy?
    02-20-18 06:43 AM
    Nothing better about the AT&T model... other than support or pricing options.

In the end do you want a PKB phone... if yes then that should make it simple, if not really then I'd wait a few weeks and see what both BlackBerry and Samsung release at MWC. But BlackBerry's not doing anything to come close to the S9.
    02-20-18 08:05 AM
    if you are more care about performance, you should go to select S8.
    To select BlackBerry if you are must have physical keyboard.
    02-20-18 09:24 AM
    Want something that will last, have great performance, fast os updates, great screen get the Galaxy S9 (wait for it, it is being announced this upcoming Sunday) but if you want something cheap, with a physical keyboard get the KEYone. simple.
    02-20-18 09:43 AM
    My Priv has become so slow that I need to update. It is hard going from a Priv to something else. Big screen, thin, lightweight, wireless charging (AT&T) good camera - not best and keyboard there when you want it but it does not take from the screen.

This is for personal use not on a managed enterprise server.

The Keyone is in the middle of the pack for performance and is now likely only to get one OS update to 8.*. It has the Blackberry kernel lock to prevent rooting and has all the nice software I like from BB. The screen is smaller and perhaps lower quality than that on the Priv or S8.

At 1/2 the price of an S8, I could replace it once in the time I would expect the S8 to last.

The S8 should get two OS upgrades to OS 10.*

The S9 is due out in a few months I hear. which will have OS 9 that the keyone will probably never see but could see OS 11. before EOL.

My tendency is to but the most advanced and keep it longer.

So, the decision:

(1) Struggle with the Priv until the S9 comes out or BB released an new model
    targeted to the high end. (2) Get a Keyone and plan to replace it in a year or so. (3) get a S8 and install the BB software and live with the rooting risk.

What do you advise?

Additonally, if getting a Keyone, is the AT&T model better than the unlocked LTE model on Amazon or Bestbuy?
    BlackBerry will release quicker security updates than Samsung. Nougat works fantastic on the KEYone, there's nothing that really excites me about oreo that I HAVE to have.

It ultimately comes down to what you want in a phone. If you're going to go down the Samsung road I would just get the Note 8, personally.
    02-20-18 02:57 PM
    BlackBerry will release quicker security updates than Samsung. Nougat works fantastic on the KEYone, there's nothing that really excites me about oreo that I HAVE to have.

It ultimately comes down to what you want in a phone. If you're going to go down the Samsung road I would just get the Note 8, personally.
    My S7 which is a carrier phone (Verizon) has gotten every monthly patch since I started using it six months ago. Maybe OREO doesn't excite you, but getting a security patch a week earlier doesn't do much for me... I was fine with the quarterly update my Motorola use to get. I kinda like the new notifications options in OREO....

I would not based my decision between Samsung and BlackBerry on updates.... KEYboard is the only real advantage BlackBerry has over Samsung. Which is why the two new phones will have PKB, and why the Motion isn't gaining much traction (and the OP didn't even mention it).
    02-20-18 03:45 PM
    My S7 which is a carrier phone (Verizon) has gotten every monthly patch since I started using it six months ago. Maybe OREO doesn't excite you, but getting a security patch a week earlier doesn't do much for me... I was fine with the quarterly update my Motorola use to get. I kinda like the new notifications options in OREO....

I would not based my decision between Samsung and BlackBerry on updates.... KEYboard is the only real advantage BlackBerry has over Samsung. Which is why the two new phones will have PKB, and why the Motion isn't gaining much traction (and the OP didn't even mention it).
    Well the keyboard is more than one feature. It provides multiple different ways to interact with your device that is simply not possible on a virtual keyboard device. Furthermore, although subjective, I prefer the software experience on the KEYone.

Samsung makes fantastic devices, but they're not for me. The KEYone perfectly balances work and play for me; it makes me more productive. If I switched to a note 8 tomorrow, I'd fall in love with its display, and then after a few days I would find it very annoying to communicate with. After all, the majority of the time I'm holding my smartphone, I'm sending a message of some sort.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-20-18 03:58 PM
    I had the same decision to make and went for the S8.
    For me it was ridiculous to consider a phone that has poor reception and headset. I don't like the keys on the K1, too soft and poor feedback compared to passport or Classic.
    I am not saying that the S8 is perfect or the best in class. But it does everything better than the k1, except keyboard which isn't that good either.
    02-20-18 04:03 PM
    I don't like VKB, I make too many mistakes that have to be corrected.

That made the choice easy for me.
    02-20-18 06:28 PM
    For God's sake! It is not rocket science. BlackBerry PKB or NOT! Done! Next!
    02-20-18 10:55 PM
    if you get S8, just make sure the early fault (spring last year) got ironed out and you prepare like the pinkish display (possibly set up that way to anticipate the short life of blue OLED). if I were you, either get K1 or wait for S9 (not 1st release, knowing S8's problem... like I would never buy 1st gen model car) - wait for extra 6 month and see how it perform in the field (no flame come out for example). https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...-release-price
    02-21-18 05:45 AM
    Keep the Priv and wait for the Note 9? As above comments, if you depend on a PKB, wait to see what new BB PKB phones come out this year? Personally I have a Note 8 and K1 Black and prefer the K1 Black.
    02-21-18 06:34 AM
    The S9 is being announced on Sunday with a rumoured street date of March 16. I would sit tight for now.

I agree with the others. Are you really dying for a pkb? If not, the K1 is ridiculously priced for what you get. Most phone makers already have an Oreo update out or at least a beta. Crickets from BlackBerry. So, outdated hardware and software.

It’s very simple. Need pkb = K1. Don’t need pkb = anything else is better.
    02-21-18 06:59 AM
    The S9 is being announced on Sunday with a rumoured street date of March 16. I would sit tight for now.

I agree with the others. Are you really dying for a pkb? If not, the K1 is ridiculously priced for what you get. Most phone makers already have an Oreo update out or at least a beta. Crickets from BlackBerry. So, outdated hardware and software.

It’s very simple. Need pkb = K1. Don’t need pkb = anything else is better.
    One would assume that if the rumored April date is correct, that BlackBerry and BlackBerry Mobile will have OREO ready for that device. Of course an April launch equates around July for US customers.... I would think they'd get the kinks worked out, before moving on to updating past devices. Mid Summer?
    02-21-18 07:37 AM
    S8/S9 bloat, forced Samsung invasive system apps and forced Bixby button to name a few annoyances. Not to mention the S9 will easily cost you double. True, the current K1 screen size and quality is somewhat disappointing (especially next to an S series) but that gap is likely to be bridged at least somewhat in the upcoming BlackBerry model(s). And it appears a better camera kit is on the way as well...
    02-21-18 08:17 AM
    One would assume that if the rumored April date is correct, that BlackBerry and BlackBerry Mobile will have OREO ready for that device. Of course an April launch equates around July for US customers.... I would think they'd get the kinks worked out, before moving on to updating past devices. Mid Summer?
    That’s the problem with BlackBerry/TCL. All release dates are fluid. You never know what’s coming and when. The price you pay for using niche products I guess.
    02-21-18 08:37 AM
    That’s the problem with BlackBerry/TCL. All release dates are fluid. You never know what’s coming and when. The price you pay for using niche products I guess.
    Exactly correct.
    02-21-18 08:41 AM
    Had a Priv. Didn't want another mid-range phone, so I passed on the K1. Got an S8 and glad I did. No problems switching to VKB, and performance is light-years better, not to mention regular updates and assurance of upgrade to (at least) the next Android OS. S8 was clearly worth the money, although I would completely understand if you waited for the S9. Bottom line: at least for me, PKB is now longer that big a deal, and was the only thing that tied me to the BB-licensed phones in the first place. Go for it!
    02-21-18 09:29 AM
    Physical keyboard, price, battery, keyboard functions and some security: KEYone
    Speed, camera, display, reception: s8
    02-21-18 11:42 AM
    There are PKB cases for the S8, S8+ and Note 8 by the way...

Hopefully the ones for the S9 will look better
    02-21-18 11:47 AM
    How about this one:

The new Android Enterprise Certification program is now out.

https://androidenterprisepartners.wi...s/browse-all/2

Samsung, OnePlus, and Essential are not on this list of approved devices.

Must commit to 3 years of patches, and 1 major update. KEYᵒⁿᵉ and Motion are proudly displayed.
    phuoc, Avenzuno and stlabrat like this.
    02-21-18 11:55 AM
    I have priv and have been thinking of the s9, as well.

Since the z10, I am not into keyboards anymore.

But for the price of the S8, might as well go for blackberry so I am looking for what comes out this year if my phone holds up. My priv is almost dead ... it could be this week, it's gone.

I didn't expect sure quality from BlackBerry ... so it makes me double think BB
    Last edited by towngirl; 02-21-18 at 01:50 PM.
    02-21-18 12:10 PM
    I have priv and have been thinking of the s9, as well.

Since the z10, I am not into keyboards anymore.

But for the price of the S8, might as well go for blackberry so I am looking for what comes out this year if my phone holds up. My priv is almost dead ... it could be this week, it's gone.

I didn't expect sure quality from BlackBerry ... so it makes me double think BB
    Put your money on the Motion. It's battery life is much much better than the Priv. Or wait for the Key 2. That would come with Android O, and a refined Keyone experience.
    02-22-18 05:31 AM
33 12