Dear TCL,

Now that you've obtained the license to build BlackBerry branded phones, I'd like to submit a render concept that I hope and pray you will consider building (with some modifications). I assume you're browsing the CrackBerry forums of course.

Below is a render concept that is close to my ideal and presumably others agree. Link: Este ser�a el nuevo BlackBerry Mercury gama alta* - Noticlaro | Colombia

As someone who was all iPhone for the longest time, I've only recently discovered the advantages of a PKB smart phone. Some may argue that PKB is dated, etc. but I think they're wrong. A properly spec'd PKB that is well built on every level - hardware and software - is a potential money maker if marketed properly to the right crowds.

Suggested mods to the render: make the top edges rounded like the bottom, and add a convenience key to the side. I assume the spacebar would function as a fingerprint reader and the PKB is touch capacitive (in addition to the thumbalina) also. That's it for me, but I'd be curious to hear other forum members' suggestions as well.

Because of the added craftmanship involved in building this phone, a premium price tag is required. This is easily a thousand dollar phone (or more). BUT, because I believe the potential audience for this phone is lawyers, entrepeneurs, small business owners and creatives, you shouldn't worry about charging a premium price. If BlackBerry continues to build out PKB support in their software this phone could do exceptionally well in a niche market, imho.

It combines the best of legacy BlackBerry with a modern, hardened OS. PLEASE consider making one. I'll be in line day one with a wad of cash to purchase several for myself and friends / family. Thanks for listening. Cheers, Reaney
    Attached Thumbnails Dear TCL & BlackBerry (An Open Letter)-share.jpg  
    12-24-16 02:30 PM
    Here we go again..

Posted via CB10
    Biggles and acermark like this.
    12-24-16 02:36 PM
    Here we go again..

Posted via CB10
    What do you mean WE? If you don't like it, stay out of the conversation, lol. Lots of other threads around here.
    MADBRADNYC, PALoeza and Toni_1990 like this.
    12-24-16 02:38 PM
    Did I say I didn't like it? I don't really mingle in such conversations. But I do think you'd better contact TCL directly if you want to raise your chances of them reading it at all.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-16 02:42 PM
    Did I say I didn't like it? I don't really mingle in such conversations. But I do think you'd better contact TCL directly if you want to raise your chances of them reading it at all.

Posted via CB10
    Fair enough. Nah, I don't think it matters if I post it here or email them. I'm 100% sure they have people browsing this forum now that they're a licensee, not a doubt in my mind. Whether or not they'll build it... no idea. But I'd be all over this phone in a heartbeat and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to many people I know. I work in film and television and I can think of a ton of people that could appreciate it. I own a Priv but won't recommend it as a PKB phone because I don't think it's quite up to par.
    PALoeza likes this.
    12-24-16 02:47 PM
    Fair enough. Nah, I don't think it matters if I post it here or email them. I'm 100% sure they have people browsing this forum now that they're a licensee, not a doubt in my mind. Whether or not they'll build it... no idea. But I'd be all over this phone in a heartbeat and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to many people I know. I work in film and television and I can think of a ton of people that could appreciate it. I own a Priv but won't recommend it as a PKB phone because I don't think it's quite up to par.
    Second that. The PKB should always be there, so you can grab your phone and start typing. I tried the Priv and found it silly having to slide the screen to use the keyboard. Never liked the slider model anyway. Just hope the Mercury it's not too big as the Passport feels too big since I changed jobs. I'm suited up during work and such a big phone looks clunky and is unable to use discretely, unlike for example the Classic.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-16 03:23 PM
    That ergonomic Bold style keyboard has such a pretty "smile". I love the smiling keyboard and that the frets are present. It looks really pretty.

Good thread.
    Anilu7 and Toni_1990 like this.
    12-24-16 03:36 PM
    No images visible
    12-24-16 04:17 PM
    That ergonomic Bold style keyboard has such a pretty "smile". I love the smiling keyboard and that the frets are present. It looks really pretty.

Good thread.
    The BlackBerry Bold Smirk? =)
    12-24-16 05:37 PM
    Nice render - I like it! I would absolutely love the physical toolbelt buttons, but I think that just might be a pipe dream.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-16 06:44 PM
    I like it too. Beautiful. Esp the 4 keys upper the keyboard which is so traditional and really fit for me. Like the classic.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-16 07:13 PM
    Nice render - I like it! I would absolutely love the physical toolbelt buttons, but I think that just might be a pipe dream.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know... the trackpad is basically a home button and fingerprint reader, the BlackBerry button becomes active windows and back is self explanatory. Really it's just adding the phone buttons. And that toolbelt definitely has appeal for many PKB users. The Classic would have done better imho if it had a larger screen like this, ran Android and wasn't so poorly spec'd.
    davidinLA likes this.
    12-24-16 08:01 PM
    While acknowledging that people have different tastes, I find that render really ugly. I would not want to go back to the "smile" keyboard... ever. If BlackBerry/TCL goes back to it I would stop buying their phones with PKB. I would simply buy full-touch BlackBerry branded phones.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-16 10:41 PM
    https://twitter.com/SteveCistulli
    https://twitter.com/VirgStrickland

You should probably talk to these people instead, not CrackBerry, this forum doesn't run the companies. Judging by how much nonsense is in that Armchair CEO section, you REALLY do not want CrackBerry to run BlackBerry nor TCL Communication.
    12-24-16 10:46 PM
    Take my money!!!

Posted via Commodore 64
    12-25-16 02:55 AM
    What I'd like to tell TCL is the following:

Please:
    - Use high quality materials for you phones
    - Use RGB LEDs as notification lights
    - Use BRIGHT IPS LCD screens with good color reproduction (like Passport / Classic)
    - Use SoC's that don't have heat issues
    - Use high capacity batteries
    - Use the same back camera as on the PRIV (it's awesome!)
    - Use a good speaker (stereo even better!)
    - Use a good antenna, we take signal quality very serious

I think the target audience of phones like these want:
    - A great keyboard experience
    - Perfect outdoor visibility
    - Very long screen on time
    anon(9353145) and Anilu7 like this.
    12-25-16 04:03 AM
    https://twitter.com/SteveCistulli
    https://twitter.com/VirgStrickland

You should probably talk to these people instead, not CrackBerry, this forum doesn't run the companies. Judging by how much nonsense is in that Armchair CEO section, you REALLY do not want CrackBerry to run BlackBerry nor TCL Communication.
    Haha, good point. I just think a discussion thread might elicit some good thoughts / suggestions. I could Tweet them a link to the original page I guess.

I don't speak the language, does that render come from there originally? Would want to give the true author credit!
    12-25-16 07:34 AM
    What I'd like to tell TCL is the following:

Please:
    - Use high quality materials for you phones
    - Use RGB LEDs as notification lights
    - Use BRIGHT IPS LCD screens with good color reproduction (like Passport / Classic)
    - Use SoC's that don't have heat issues
    - Use high capacity batteries
    - Use the same back camera as on the PRIV (it's awesome!)
    - Use a good speaker (stereo even better!)
    - Use a good antenna, we take signal quality very serious

I think the target audience of phones like these want:
    - A great keyboard experience
    - Perfect outdoor visibility
    - Very long screen on time
    Agree with everything you listed! I prefer IPS capacitive LCD as well!

I'd just add that based on ad hoc observations, a BlackBerry user wants a premium phone that is tough and durable: built to last longer than the average. Hence the higher premium price.

But all means build all touch models that are reasonably priced as well though!
    Anilu7 likes this.
    12-25-16 07:36 AM
    While acknowledging that people have different tastes, I find that render really ugly. I would not want to go back to the "smile" keyboard... ever. If BlackBerry/TCL goes back to it I would stop buying their phones with PKB. I would simply buy full-touch BlackBerry branded phones.

Posted via CB10
    Well the imminent Mercury has the straight keyboard. In a perfect world, they'll make different models of PKB if they're satisfied with the Mercury. I'm definitely buying one when it launches!
    12-25-16 07:45 AM
    Haha, good point. I just think a discussion thread might elicit some good thoughts / suggestions. I could Tweet them a link to the original page I guess.

I don't speak the language, does that render come from there originally? Would want to give the true author credit!
    No idea about that render. And like some others mentioned... that render doesn't look very good. The curved Bold keyboard doesn't fit with the rest, looks like a render of a prop in a 90s 3D game.
    12-25-16 07:46 AM
    No idea about that render. And like some others mentioned... that render doesn't look very good. The curved Bold keyboard doesn't fit with the rest, looks like a render of a prop in a 90s 3D game.
    Merry Christmas, BTW. =).

It's not a perfect render, more proof of concept imho. But I like the curved keyboard and toolbelt!!
    12-25-16 07:52 AM

Posted via CB10
    If you care that much about looks then that's your prerogative, but the "smile" has a practical purpose. It actually makes typing easier. There's a reason why the Bold 9900 is easier to type on than the Q10 even though it's technically smaller, and it was because of the curved keyboard...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    12-25-16 08:32 AM
    Oh, and two things I wish they would have are waterproofing and wireless charging.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    12-25-16 08:35 AM
    Make the internals same as the dtek60.
    Include wireless charging
    Back shell same as the Priv's but no creaking
    Same main camera with the priv
    Stereo speakers
    Brown not tan nappa leather flip case
    Dock that can accomodate the phone with the flipcase

Would be great if a high resolution sound dac is included (I would settle for SD625 if dac is included)
    12-25-16 08:58 AM
    Why in God's name would you want that inferior tech? For 200-300 $ phones sure, but for high-end models I expect >500 ppi AMOLEDs.
    12-25-16 09:25 AM
71 123