I was excited to see that CBS morning news was going to profile the new Keyone phone. Chen was on and interviewed. What a disappointment. Try showing excitement. Try mentioning features. Try anything... turned something that was creating buzz into a buzz kill
    03-03-17 07:46 AM
    Steve Jobs kinda made it part of a CEO's job to be a salesman and a showman.... and that's not something very many CEOs have been able to pull off.

Really expected that TCL would be doing most of this "dog and pony show" stuff now. Of course BlackBerry has a LOT riding on this.... Chen really needs some licensing revenues to offset the cost of staying in the mobile device software business. And too I think he's hoping that a hardware/software solution will help them in their BES/Good business.
    03-03-17 08:05 AM
    Sorry but I don;t buy a phone based off a pitchman or events...

I didn't think the interview was that bad..
    velkod likes this.
    03-03-17 08:13 AM
    He doesn't seem like that type of person. Faking being excited or enthusiastic would be worse. Why is he not allowed to be who he is?
    raqball likes this.
    03-03-17 08:26 AM
    Not everyone can be a Lee Iacocca.

(Google him, kids)

Joel
    Nathan Conley and gebco like this.
    03-03-17 08:42 AM
    Yes he frankly was awful! He could of simply said; the new BlackBerry has made pivot to becoming an all Software Company with a different approach to hardware. We are now working with wonderful partners like TLC who have just introduced this new and award winning device called KEYone which brings me hear today. Devices like this symbolizes a "key" step in how BlackBerry is moving forward today and into the future.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-17 08:52 AM
    Here is the link to watch the video if anyone missed it...

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/blackb...f-the-company/
    03-03-17 09:01 AM
    Quite awful interview for the hardware side but as he said blackberry has 3 license agreements and expect a lot more, I guess his dream is now every manufacturer has his own blackberry model. His mission was to save the company and to go back to profit with software and security. IBM is doing billions with that with no hardware anymore. Hardware is 2-3 years life cycle now and it is nowadays like making cakes, you buy components and labor assembly, no extra value on this. Look how apple is making slaves working for them...
    03-03-17 09:22 AM
    I just saw the clip. He had a golden opportunity to show off the new phone to two Blackberry users, and he totally blew it. The segment should have focused on what BB as a company was doing, then went right into the KEYone. He said you can run instagram and all the apps you have on your iPhone, but he never said the new Blackberry RAN ANDROID! So many people I show my BlackBerry Priv to are shocked it runs and Android and works like any other Android phone. He's got to start speaking to the typical consumer --- They only know two things; iPhone - Android.

Total missed opportunity.
    03-03-17 10:05 AM
    I just saw the clip. He had a golden opportunity to show off the new phone to two Blackberry users, and he totally blew it. The segment should have focused on what BB as a company was doing, then went right into the KEYone. He said you can run instagram and all the apps you have on your iPhone, but he never said the new Blackberry RAN THE GOOGLE! So many people I show my BlackBerry Priv to are shocked it runs and Android and works like any other Android phone.

FTFY.
    app_Developer likes this.
    03-03-17 10:07 AM
    FTFY.
    Thank you. Forgot to dumb it down more.
    03-03-17 10:09 AM
    I just saw the clip. He had a golden opportunity to show off the new phone to two Blackberry users, and he totally blew it. The segment should have focused on what BB as a company was doing, then went right into the KEYone. He said you can run instagram and all the apps you have on your iPhone, but he never said the new Blackberry RAN ANDROID! So many people I show my BlackBerry Priv to are shocked it runs and Android and works like any other Android phone. He's got to start speaking to the typical consumer --- They only know two things; iPhone - Android.

He was not in control of the segment and they kept cutting him off... I think the interview was fine considering how inconsiderate CBS was in allowing him the opportunity to answer the question.. They gave him what, like 5 seconds to answer before the next anchor butted in with another Q?
    03-03-17 10:14 AM
    Sorry but I don;t buy a phone based off a pitchman or events...

I didn't think the interview was that bad..
    You may not, many people do. Brand image.
    03-03-17 10:16 AM
    You may not, many people do. Brand image.
    Agree and that's part of the problem and why users end up unhappy with their purchase.. If anyone buys based on a pitchman or an event then they are rolling the dice.. How does that old saying go? A fool and his money are soon parted?

I tell everyone to research the phone they want and try it in hand.. Commercials, events and pitchmen are just that.. Similar to misleading stock photos and images many companies use..

03-03-17 10:17 AM
    He was not in control of the segment and they kept cutting him off... I think the interview was fine considering how inconsiderate CBS was in allowing him the opportunity to answer the question.. They gave him what, like 5 seconds to answer before the next anchor butted in with another Q?
    I do agree with that. The segment was all over the place. But they did give him a few opportunities to transition into talking about and showing off the K1. When he popped up instagram, he slid the phone across the table. Golden opportunity for a little product placement there to hold the phone up for all to see and hand it to her.

I like Chen a lot and I think he has an intelligent business mind. But like the OP alludes to, he's not the best salesperson. I remember he flubbed showing off the Priv on a TV interview once before too.
    raqball likes this.
    03-03-17 10:21 AM
    It was a decent interview given the time constraints.

BlackBerry should be listening more to their customers though. They all agreed in applause of the "return of the keyboard". BB must never forget that. They can still be a relevant company that sells Android phones with keyboards. Just lower their expectations and keep all the "____ Of Things" conversations in the background. Nobody cares about that stuff.
    03-03-17 11:57 AM
    Chen is a good CEO. He does not have the charisma to do PR
    03-03-17 12:50 PM
    What's the big deal? It's not BlackBerry's job to market this device. They're a software company now. It's BlackBerry Mobile/TCL's job to market the device.

Besides, this is a very niche product for a very niche market. Those enterprise/business users are too busy being productive to be watching tv during the day. Advertising about this device isn't going to tell them anything new that they don't already know. Remember, they know more about it than the native Crackberrians on this site.

This product isn't aimed at Jane/Joe Average consumer and is priced to FLY off the shelves since that Enterprise market is HUGE I tell ya. UUUUUUUUUUUGE!!!!!!!!
    03-03-17 01:15 PM
    What's the big deal? It's not BlackBerry's job to market this device. They're a software company now. It's BlackBerry Mobile/TCL's job to market the device.

Besides, this is a very niche product for a very niche market. Those enterprise/business users are too busy being productive to be watching tv during the day. Advertising about this device isn't going to tell them anything new that they don't already know. Remember, they know more about it than the native Crackberrians on this site.

This product isn't aimed at Jane/Joe Average consumer and is priced to FLY off the shelves since that Enterprise market is HUGE I tell ya. UUUUUUUUUUUGE!!!!!!!!
    Agreed
    03-03-17 01:23 PM
    Why would he pitch it? He's not in charge of any hardware going out the door now. It's up to TCL to market.
    03-03-17 06:45 PM
    Why would he pitch it? He's not in charge of any hardware going out the door now. It's up to TCL to market.
    Maybe because the name "BlackBerry" is on it and he's the CEO.
    03-03-17 07:25 PM
    Maybe because the name "BlackBerry" is on it and he's the CEO.
    Not true. BlackBerry mobile is the new hardware. Chen has nothing to do with the hardware. Only software. If he wants to talk about software then yes, he's the guy
    03-03-17 07:28 PM
    Public speaking has never been his strong point. He's still better than Thor was though.
    03-03-17 07:29 PM
    Whether you want to call it BlackBerry mobiles job, TCL or Chen 's job, a golden opportunity was missed to plug all of the above.. Granted you don't need Apple Marketing but show some enthusiasm.

Like all of you, I'm a BlackBerry person. Many of my friends and coworkers were BlackBerry users.. Unless BlackBerry, BlackBerry moble or TCL shows some effort the only ones that will buy it are diehards..

The Keyone has an opportunity to sell better than any OS10, dtek or priv in the general market

They just need to show some effort
    03-03-17 07:54 PM
    Public speaking has never been his strong point. He's still better than Thor was though.
    Miles better
    03-03-17 07:54 PM
54 123