Is there any opportunity for BlackBerry and the KEYone to "exploit" security advantage given the latest cyber attacks? Just wondering...
    05-15-17 04:47 AM
    Well, these high-profile incidents will only increase awareness of the issue and BlackBerry is reasonably well-positioned to take advantage.
    05-15-17 05:06 AM
    there is nothing the keyone does that has anything to do with the attacks. It comes down to human error and outdated unsecure desktop software
    05-15-17 05:23 AM
    A few things would have to happen for BlackBerry to exploit any cyber attack:

1. Cyber attacks take place on mobile devices.
    2. Apple and Google don't do enough to mitigate such attacks.
    3. BlackBerry/TCL actually bothers to let people outside of the CrackBerry bubble know that the 1 exists
    Last edited by MikeX74; 05-15-17 at 06:28 AM.
    xandros9 and Baerli Baer like this.
    05-15-17 05:28 AM
    The past few events also didn't help BlackBerry at all: That leak with the private celeb photos, last year's wave of encrypting trojans like Locky or CryptXXX as well as countless of events where user and customer data has been stolen from companies.
    People still don't care, I guess as long as nobody ever gets hit by such a security related breach, one simply doesn't care about it. I also don't know how BlackBerry Mobile should even "exploit" the current situation and make their K1 shine: The recent attacks targets Windows computers only, for the most recent versions of Windows, there are patches available since about two months already - those who didn't keep their desktop and laptop computers up to date, won't really care about monthly security updates on their phone. Left alone are those with older, unsupported versions of Windows, which got hit unprepared. I simply don't see a single way for TCL to take advantage in terms of marketing for the situation.

"Security" as a feature for a mobile phone is as boring as it has ever been. A flashy screen without edges, a better camera for taking more detailed selfies, clumsy iris scanners to unlock your phone as well as better performing Snapchat (or whatever "cool" apps are out there) are much more important for the majority of people.
    05-15-17 05:48 AM
    Well, these high-profile incidents will only increase awareness of the issue and BlackBerry is reasonably well-positioned to take advantage.
    How can they take advantage of malware and ransomware on PC's? Do they have some sort of desktop software that magically keeps PC operating systems safe from these things?
    05-15-17 05:58 AM
    there is nothing the keyone does that has anything to do with the attacks. It comes down to human error and outdated unsecure desktop software
    I sort of figured this would be the case. I thought perhaps there are possible ways that attacks could work also through phones, and be detected.
    05-15-17 06:22 AM
    This kind of attack is just simply installing a software to your pc through internet. Then it runs without permission (or simply take permission without your knowing) to encrypt all datas in your pc. The software itself was made for windows, so won't be able to run in other system including android. No worry, and keyone also has nothing to do with this.
    05-15-17 07:21 AM
    Well this one in particular no since it only targets PC's for now. And while BB touts its improved security over other phones, they rarely (if ever) give concrete examples as to when this has successfully parried an attack or prevented loss of data.

Like there should be a list of when iPhones and Android phones were attacked but BlackBerry phones were safe. If such a thing even exists. Of course that gets further complicated now that BB is on Android and we don't really know how good BB's security is on Android. And if they start bragging too much, they might place a target on their backs from hackers. That's the last thing they need because I doubt hackers can't break into BB's.

But then again I don't know much about the industry.
    05-15-17 07:29 AM
    How can they take advantage of malware and ransomware on PC's? Do they have some sort of desktop software that magically keeps PC operating systems safe from these things?
    The fine details don't matter if the point is marketing. Mobile is just another threat vector and BlackBerry can play to their strengths there as security doesn't stop at the PC for most.
    05-16-17 08:12 AM
    CNET has a good article on this particularly about android phones. But interestingly it also makes this quote.

Companies like Samsung and BlackBerry also offer their own regular security updates.
    05-16-17 09:18 AM
    As of the time I am writing this, BlackBerry stock is going up because BlackBerry is in the security business. There is more than one article about companies in the security business doing well right now. Indirectly it could have a positive effect on BlackBerry phone sales. It is a matter of perception.
    05-16-17 09:34 AM
    As of the time I am writing this, BlackBerry stock is going up because BlackBerry is in the security business. There is more than one article about companies in the security business doing well right now. Indirectly it could have a positive effect on BlackBerry phone sales. It is a matter of perception.
    Let's hope that BlackBerry's security becoming more known doesn't result in them becoming a larger target for future attacks!
    05-16-17 09:38 AM
    The fine details don't matter if the point is marketing. Mobile is just another threat vector and BlackBerry can play to their strengths there as security doesn't stop at the PC for most.
    The fine details do matter if the point is actually providing security. Their ability or reputation for securing mobile devices isn't worth a damn to someone looking to protect PC's.
    05-16-17 09:38 AM