So! I bought my KeyOne back when it first came out. I knew a lot of people ran into the screen lift problem, but mine didn't happen until November 6th. So I was happy I was able to jump onto the Crackberry Forums and see what people had done last summer to get their issue resolved. Customer Service was really awesome about picking up the phone promptly, even though it was late at night, and they were really friendly and knowledgeable.

I had two choices: repair or replace. It was a known manufacturer's defect, so even though it was out of warranty, they'd repair it for free. And, once repaired, they'd guarantee the repair for the rest of the phone's life. I'd have to be without my phone for "about a week", but I figured it was worth it for the guarantee-- because I'd read plenty of forum posts about how the replacement phone had the same screen lift problem the original phone had!

I sent it in November 7th.

It took three days to travel 100 miles. OK, that's a FedEx issue...

It was finally delivered to Illinois on Monday the 12th. I only knew this because I'd been following the FedEx tracker number-- my case # didn't update until Friday afternoon sometime. I thought, "Huh, they said it had to go to Canada--" but I knew Canadian mail was super-slow (and postal strikes are going on) so I was happy it didn't have to cross any international borders.

I check my email on Sunday the 18th. I see my case was closed on Tuesday the 13th. Yay! I take that to mean my phone has been fixed and it's back on my way. It took a while, and it was weird that my case was closed three days before my summary page bothered to update its arrival, but things are going back to normal, yay!

I check my case summary. It looks like it updated yesterday. "Hey, your phone is out of warranty. Pay us $134."

And I'm like--- right! We talked about this on 11/6! Y'all told me it was a free repair, which was a big reason why I opted against a replacement!

I tried using the support message box to tell them directly, "Hey, this is what the situation is. Please honor your repair." It took me three browsers to finally find something that could handle the form to the point I could submit it-- but when I did, I get "There was an error-- please try again later."

So I guess I'll wait for my husband to get home this evening, so I can use his phone to say, "Excuse me, what's going on?" in person.

In the meantime, I felt like asking around here--- is this really what Blackberry is like these days? I stuck with them after they dropped the OS that I liked and turned into an Android-pretending-to-be-a-Blackberry. The physical keyboard was totally worth it.

Like a lot of people, I rely on my phone for productivity, not for playing games or watching videos or stuff. I'm fortunate that I used GoogleVoice for my biz number, so I'm still able to text and listen to voicemail on my desktop. I'm just much slower to respond than I normally am... I miss crucial information when I'm out in the field... but I limp along in the hopes of getting back to normal soon.

But this is really disappointing.

How does it compare to the experiences of others who experienced manufacturer's defect issues beyond their first year of ownership?
    11-20-18 11:12 AM
    So! I bought my KeyOne back when it first came out. I knew a lot of people ran into the screen lift problem, but mine didn't happen until November 6th. So I was happy I was able to jump onto the Crackberry Forums and see what people had done last summer to get their issue resolved. Customer Service was really awesome about picking up the phone promptly, even though it was late at night, and they were really friendly and knowledgeable.

I had two choices: repair or replace. It was a known manufacturer's defect, so even though it was out of warranty, they'd repair it for free. And, once repaired, they'd guarantee the repair for the rest of the phone's life. I'd have to be without my phone for "about a week", but I figured it was worth it for the guarantee-- because I'd read plenty of forum posts about how the replacement phone had the same screen lift problem the original phone had!

I sent it in November 7th.

It took three days to travel 100 miles. OK, that's a FedEx issue...

It was finally delivered to Illinois on Monday the 12th. I only knew this because I'd been following the FedEx tracker number-- my case # didn't update until Friday afternoon sometime. I thought, "Huh, they said it had to go to Canada--" but I knew Canadian mail was super-slow (and postal strikes are going on) so I was happy it didn't have to cross any international borders.

I check my email on Sunday the 18th. I see my case was closed on Tuesday the 13th. Yay! I take that to mean my phone has been fixed and it's back on my way. It took a while, and it was weird that my case was closed three days before my summary page bothered to update its arrival, but things are going back to normal, yay!

I check my case summary. It looks like it updated yesterday. "Hey, your phone is out of warranty. Pay us $134."

And I'm like--- right! We talked about this on 11/6! Y'all told me it was a free repair, which was a big reason why I opted against a replacement!

I tried using the support message box to tell them directly, "Hey, this is what the situation is. Please honor your repair." It took me three browsers to finally find something that could handle the form to the point I could submit it-- but when I did, I get "There was an error-- please try again later."

So I guess I'll wait for my husband to get home this evening, so I can use his phone to say, "Excuse me, what's going on?" in person.

In the meantime, I felt like asking around here--- is this really what Blackberry is like these days? I stuck with them after they dropped the OS that I liked and turned into an Android-pretending-to-be-a-Blackberry. The physical keyboard was totally worth it.

Like a lot of people, I rely on my phone for productivity, not for playing games or watching videos or stuff. I'm fortunate that I used GoogleVoice for my biz number, so I'm still able to text and listen to voicemail on my desktop. I'm just much slower to respond than I normally am... I miss crucial information when I'm out in the field... but I limp along in the hopes of getting back to normal soon.

But this is really disappointing.

How does it compare to the experiences of others who experienced manufacturer's defect issues beyond their first year of ownership?
    Just contact them and explain the situation, and it should be resolved free of charge.

On a side note, it's always good to have a backup smartphone, no matter the brand.
    11-20-18 11:24 AM
    I used advanced replacement and got the new looking device in 2 days. I transferred all my stuff ,d used the prepaid label to ship the old one back. they took my credit card for $440 but it never showed as a temp hold or charge at all. The phone was just over a year old and they said the only time I would get charged is if I didn't return the old one or if it was wet. In official BlackBerry parlance, it was "buttery smooth." I was truly surprised.
    11-20-18 02:11 PM
    On a side note, it's always good to have a backup smartphone, no matter the brand.
    That's a really good thought. Is it pretty straightforward to put your sim card into a temporary backup? The AT&T store won't support phones they don't actively sell, so I was looking at the steps listed at--
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=-TSf48rW

When I upgraded from my Curve to my KeyOne, the nice guy at Best Buy did all the talking, but even though he might do dozens of those a week, it still took him a while to get through all the hoops. He installed a new sim card, but I wasn't sure if that was due to the age of the old phone or the fact it was 3G instead of 4G or something else. So if there's any pointers you can give about flipping back and forth between a phone and an emergency backup phone with the least amount of hassle, I'd love to learn about it.

In other news, I chatted with Customer Support yesterday evening. The nice Customer Support rep said he would submit a Request to Proceed and an Escalation to the repair center so that I wouldn't be charged. I was given a new case number, but it's still not showing up in either my support account or my email. He said it would take about 24-48 business hours to update, so I had been thinking that meant for the escalation to occur... but it looks like that might mean it will be Friday before my new case # even activates.
    11-21-18 09:45 PM
    I had a similar experience in Canada but once my case was escalated I had a replacement phone in a week. Happy Thanksgiving!
    11-22-18 07:35 AM