In another thread, someone posted that running Safe Mode really helped their KeyOne run much smoother.

They suggested that app of their apps were missing. Well, Safe Mode does not really remove apps/widgets from the phone. It merely prevents most/many third party apps from loading when the phone is booted to Safe Mode. The apps are generally still installed and can be placed back on your home page or home pages in the usual drag/drop fashion.

But it got me wondering besides the fact that apps might cause delays/LAGS, could WIDGETS be a bigger part of the problem than we suspect?

Again, what Safe Mode does is only run essential apps and modules for basic functions. It prevents most other third party apps (Facebook, Instagram, Kindle book reader, Photo gallery apps, video display apps, music apps, mapping apps) - again, most 3rd party apps from running when the device starts. So probably one or more of those 3rd party apps is probably the problem.

In addition, in a thought that just came to me as I was replying to the thread: WIDGETS, are not run in Safe Mode. And some widgets are immediately performing a variety of tasks (showing clocks, showing current weather, alerting to one or another function. I've got one that shows Euro/US Dollar exchange rates). Depending on how active they are, a widget or widgets could also be causing lag on many KeyOnes, perhaps.

I don't really have many widgets running and as I've reported, I really don't experience lag on my "Verizon" KeyOne with only 3gigs of memory. I have not factory reset it or reinstalled the OS and rarely remember to clear the cache. I've had this unit since last Sept when it replaced my "screening popping" unit.

Thoughts?
    06-28-18 07:19 PM
    IMO this covers it all:

/blackberry-android-os-f456/device-lag-lets-explore-1141374/

The problem is that many people don't really wants to go through the steps necessary to kill that 'lag' which as described, can be a result of more than just one thing.

I have owned much more powerful devices in the past and if not maintained properly they lag too, iPhone included.

The issue is mostly in apps, how they behave and what type of OS access they require.
    06-28-18 07:28 PM
    2 (or more) apps interacting poorly would be a logical place to look if safe mode makes it go away.

I haven't had any problem myself (yet and hopefully never) and I run some intensive stuff, but not the magic combo, apparently.
    06-28-18 10:00 PM
    I've only had annoying lag (wasn't awful) once on my K1. I chose to do a factory reset, but it wasn't solely because of the lag I had. I have only ever used one home screen with two widgets (Timely clock and Dark Sky weather) with 3 folders and two apps. I also don't clear cache as often as I recommend others because I'm a very light user. Mostly Twitter (bad for cache, honestly), Chrome, and Play Music. I'll play Microsoft Solitaire from time to time, too.

If you're the kind of person who installs random apps from the Play Store, or side-loads apps downloaded from a website, then you're gonna have a bad time.
    RK_BB likes this.
    06-29-18 10:49 AM
    not normal that we need to clear cache or use on safe mode. my first KeyOne had no lag issues. got a replacement unit after my screen fell: lag is awful. not sure if I will be getting a Key2.
    07-01-18 10:17 AM
    Should this be in the KeyOne settings?
    Turn Off all Accessibility Services here: Settings\Accessibility\Services
    07-01-18 11:16 AM
    not normal that we need to clear cache or use on safe mode. my first KeyOne had no lag issues. got a replacement unit after my screen fell: lag is awful. not sure if I will be getting a Key2.
    Safe Mode is really only intended to help screen out which app or apps might be a problem. It only loads essential apps. If things run smoothly, you load an app at a time, checking for issues, load the next. Yes, it can be a tedious screening process.
    07-01-18 12:14 PM
    In another thread, someone posted that running Safe Mode really helped their KeyOne run much smoother.

They suggested that app of their apps were missing. Well, Safe Mode does not really remove apps/widgets from the phone. It merely prevents most/many third party apps from loading when the phone is booted to Safe Mode. The apps are generally still installed and can be placed back on your home page or home pages in the usual drag/drop fashion.

But it got me wondering besides the fact that apps might cause delays/LAGS, could WIDGETS be a bigger part of the problem than we suspect?

Again, what Safe Mode does is only run essential apps and modules for basic functions. It prevents most other third party apps (Facebook, Instagram, Kindle book reader, Photo gallery apps, video display apps, music apps, mapping apps) - again, most 3rd party apps from running when the device starts. So probably one or more of those 3rd party apps is probably the problem.

In addition, in a thought that just came to me as I was replying to the thread: WIDGETS, are not run in Safe Mode. And some widgets are immediately performing a variety of tasks (showing clocks, showing current weather, alerting to one or another function. I've got one that shows Euro/US Dollar exchange rates). Depending on how active they are, a widget or widgets could also be causing lag on many KeyOnes, perhaps.

I don't really have many widgets running and as I've reported, I really don't experience lag on my "Verizon" KeyOne with only 3gigs of memory. I have not factory reset it or reinstalled the OS and rarely remember to clear the cache. I've had this unit since last Sept when it replaced my "screening popping" unit.

Thoughts?
    Similar situation here. VZW unlocked and haven't experienced any lag issues with fairly hard use. But I don't use any widgets, periodically clear my caches, perform soft resets before and after updates and rarely have more than 2 apps open at a time.

Widgets are a possibility as well as an app or two that doesn't play well with others. Also, corrupt files have been found to cause performance issues as well and if 3rd party, can't cause issues in Safe Mode.
    FF22 and RK_BB like this.
    07-01-18 12:30 PM
    I use one widget, the clock on my one home screen. I do not like clutter on my devices. I do not enjoy widgets because I'm old fashioned and prefer to keep my device as simple as possible.

I use a lot of apps, but they do not need to be widgets. What I prefer to do is have three frequently used apps added to the BlackBerry Productivity Tab widget section for quick access. This way these widgets are not running on my single home screen.

I bought a weather app because, wait, I actually don't know why to be honest. So, I have it, but I simply use my human senses to guage the weather and never open the weather app. I've never really needed to know the forecast in my entire life. Just my two cents on a home screen weather widget. I'm an old man who still likes to do things manually and analogue.

With the KEYone, I don't even need any home screen icons at all. I simply use the physical keyboard shortcuts to launch my most used apps and open the BlackBerry Launcher for the rest.

The Convenience Key is handy to quickly launch into Firefox Focus. I don't use the option to have 3 apps associated to the Convenience Key because it opens a settings window.

To launch the camera, I find pressing the power button twice in quick succession to be a great feature. However, now that I upgraded my KEYone case to the OEM smart flip, I simply use the 'C' key to launch the camera fast.

It's basically a matter of being able to use all these cool BlackBerry features and the many buttons to operate the device really efficiently with as little clutter and annoyances as possible.

I'm really happy being off the Motion and back on my KEYone because for me, physical keyboards are a wanted need that I find to be the best way to interact with communications equipment.

The way I configure my Android by BlackBerry device as described as well as many other little things is to keep it running fast. I never leave apps open either. I'm the 'master' of my devices as much as humanly possible without completely trying to remove google. I use google for a few things (precisely: Android), but disable all google things I would never use. Let's face it peeps, Android is a google OS.

I also do not speak to my phone to command it with my voice. The only way I will ever speak into a telephone is if I receive or make a telephone call. I do not believe the whole 'speak to phones or a Intenet speaker' thing to be something I would enjoy because it is too bizarre for me. Besides, I'm sure these device are always listening regardless.
    Last edited by Spunton_Duddley; 07-01-18 at 07:16 PM.
    07-01-18 06:55 PM
    Long story short, no lag here. Phone always responds to what I want to activate on it to achieve whatever task I need to do. Then I put it down. Picking it up again to communicate or watch something.
    Last edited by Spunton_Duddley; 07-01-18 at 07:18 PM.
    07-01-18 07:07 PM