I used to be a diehard Blackberry user. My first physical keyboard phone was the Curve 8300, then I got a Pearl 8100, Curve 8900, finally ending with a Torch 9810. The Torch was very close to my last straw for Blackberry, as the build quality didn't last. The screen started to wobble horribly, the screens responsiveness to touch was abysmal, it was just an overall horrible experience. I waited for the first BB10 device, but constant delays were too much and when my provider offered me the Optimus G for free, I took it. Haven't looked back since.

Now I see the KeyOne, and it seems to finally be something worth looking at. Though the price is a little on the high side for what it is.
    I like the overall size, kind of wish the screen was bigger but I understand the limitation. Plus since I do more typing now, I might actually have more screen space. The keyboard will be nice, and I'm glad they have Android for the apps, and a fingerprint sensor.

The things that worry me:
    • No OIS for the camera
    • Blackberrys camera software. A good sensor only gets you so far..
    • Availability of aftermarket cases
    • IPS display in sunlight. I'm used to the glory of AMOLED
    • Speed of updates
    • Clickliness of the buttons - I like very clicky buttons
    • Processing time for the camera - I need instant pictures like you'd get on a Samsung. Anything else is unacceptable

I know no one's really had time with a retail unit, but what are your experiences with update speed and cameras on the newer Blackberries?
    One of my friends is a Blackberry diehard, and I held his Priv. It didn't impress me at all. The screen still wobbled, the back had flex to it, and the keys were a little too shallow for my liking.

The main thing I'm worried about is the camera. The amount of time my Nexus 5x searches for focus and then the time it takes to actually process the photo are horrid.

Any tips on any of the above worries would be great!
    04-21-17 12:19 AM
    Please go visit the Instagram site for BlackBerry Mobile, through which TCL is marketing the KEYone, to see the camera output. I, too, hated the Priv PKB's squishiness. But the KEYone's keys look thicker, and I hope are as clicky as my Passport SE's. As for camera software and functionality, we'll just have to remain patient until someone gets to try out a production model. As for security and software updates on the KEYone, BlackBerry has committed to doing these monthly, probably faster than anyone except perhaps Google.

Posted via CB10 | SQW100-4 Passport on T-Mobile. Hi Ho Silver Edition!
    04-21-17 01:38 AM
    I think it's been confirmed in another thread that the PKB is clickier than the one on the Samsung S8 (and possibly the iPhone 7)...
    04-21-17 02:04 AM
    Camera - my pixel does fine without OIS and takes photos instantly and has decent lowlight (BlackBerry has this sensor but not the algorithms). The xiomi mi5s uses this sensor if you want another take at the images.
    If you don't plan on shooting 4K video OIS isn't going to be a major missed feature. 1080p should have software stabilisation. The camera software on the Dtek60 seems to do a decent job though I'd like to see improvements especially video focusing.

Aftermarket cases - samsung and apple will always be the better option but how many cases do we need? As long as there's a decent variety right? BlackBerry Mobile announced that Incipio will make cases for the KEYone; I have one from them for the pixel and I like it.

Screen display in sunlight? No idea but with the battery life just boost the brightness I've had no issues with LCDs on previous BlackBerry smartphones like my classic but the KEYone is a different beast.

Updates? Well security updates are quick. To expect anything else is up for debate. Up to you to think if this is acceptable. Keyone comes preloaded with nougat.

Keyboard - I like the clickiness of the classic and people have said it's close to the classic which sounds good to me as I was never a fan of the Q10. This will certainly come down to personal preference or just giving some time to adjust.

Photo processing - check out videos (if any) or reviews of other phones using the 625 cpu like the Moto Z Play or Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 and see if that's fine with you. I expect pictures to be instantaneous with panoramic or other effect laden photos to be a few seconds more. For example phone arena rates the Google pixel to take photos at 1.1 seconds, Samsung S7 to take a photo in 1.5 seconds while the Moto z play does it in 1.6.

In the end a lot of these questions can be answered with in-depth reviews (if May 5th release is true, reviews won't be far behind) or going hands-on yourself when it's released.

If you want a PKB that isn't a slider on android nougat you'll be hard pressed to find an alternative

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by zensen; 04-21-17 at 02:45 AM.
    04-21-17 02:19 AM
    I'd get a Google pixel. Super good camera.
    04-21-17 02:20 AM
    I used to be a diehard Blackberry user. My first physical keyboard phone was the Curve 8300, then I got a Pearl 8100, Curve 8900, finally ending with a Torch 9810. The Torch was very close to my last straw for Blackberry, as the build quality didn't last. The screen started to wobble horribly, the screens responsiveness to touch was abysmal, it was just an overall horrible experience. I waited for the first BB10 device, but constant delays were too much and when my provider offered me the Optimus G for free, I took it. Haven't looked back since.

Now I see the KeyOne, and it seems to finally be something worth looking at. Though the price is a little on the high side for what it is.
    I like the overall size, kind of wish the screen was bigger but I understand the limitation. Plus since I do more typing now, I might actually have more screen space. The keyboard will be nice, and I'm glad they have Android for the apps, and a fingerprint sensor.

• No OIS for the camera
    • Speed of updates
    • Processing time for the camera - I need instant pictures like you'd get on a Samsung. Anything else is unacceptable

I know no one's really had time with a retail unit, but what are your experiences with update speed and cameras on the newer Blackberries?
    One of my friends is a Blackberry diehard, and I held his Priv. It didn't impress me at all. The screen still wobbled, the back had flex to it, and the keys were a little too shallow for my liking.

The main thing I'm worried about is the camera. The amount of time my Nexus 5x searches for focus and then the time it takes to actually process the photo are horrid.

Any tips on any of the above worries would be great!
    Um, don't have time to address everything, but wanted to point out, you realize LCD is better for sunlight than the "glory of AMOLED" right?? :-P

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-21-17 09:13 AM
    Um, don't have time to address everything, but wanted to point out, you realize LCD is better for sunlight than the "glory of AMOLED" right?? :-P

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    ^^^This one. OLED actually sux in right sunlight compare to IPS. Most of my phones have been the OLED (except for my DTEK50 which is superbright in the sun and renders colours far more accurately).
    04-21-17 11:09 AM
    Keyboard.

Done in one.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-17 11:19 AM
    I
    • No OIS for the camera
    • Speed of updates
    -the cool thing about android is if Blackberry's camera software is not to your liking, you can always download other camera software like "Open Camera" or others. But judging from the photo quality it looks pretty good!

- I would also like to know about aftermarket cases. The only officially announced and partnered brand is Incipio because Steve Cistulli tweeted about it.

-LCD performs better in sunlight than AMOLED. All iPhones have LCD displays so use that as a reference.

-Security updates = EVERY MONTH. Software updates = no very sure. However it IS being released with Nougat 7.1.1.. the very latest version right now. All other Blackberry Androids are currently still on 6.0 Marshmallow.

-CBK has said that the keyboard is very clicky and satisfying to type on. He did mention it was on par or better than (i think) one of the Bold models. My favorite however is the Q10 keyboard.

-If the hundreds of video hands-on reviews on Youtube are any indication, the processing time between each "snap" for the camera is near instantaneous. You can do your own "burst-mode" by manually tapping the button rapidly.
    04-21-17 12:58 PM