Impossible. I don't like that feature either! .
    There's a bit of Apple mentality in action here : "We know what's best for you"
    01-22-18 08:15 PM
    There's a bit of Apple mentality in action here : "We know what's best for you"
    LOL - seriously, they probably just play statistical odds. Send an email for recommendations. Probably something that could be accomplished in next update.
    01-22-18 08:19 PM
    LOL - seriously, they probably just play statistical odds. Send an email for recommendations. Probably something that could be accomplished in next update.
    It can totally be accomplished...I mean seriously, how difficult can it possibility be??? How many hours of programming of which ROI cannot be justified....

It's been brought up here a million times over however many threads...

What is the proper communication line to such issues and others? I will gladly draft a request and send it with flowers and a chocolate box to the powers that be!
    01-22-18 09:44 PM
    This is great, except have you tried to see if this also disables the "mute" functionality during phone calls? That's what I'm after
    I'm sure it can be achieved. I am not using a sim in my KEYone at the moment but have tested the following option in Clock and it worked.

Try setting this and check it yourself. Just disable this option as highlighted below.

EDIT: I have tested it. This solution works during call too. So no mute happens when you click on the button.
    Last edited by TheBond; 01-23-18 at 07:19 AM.
    pooyam likes this.
    01-23-18 01:53 AM
    Impossible. I don't like that feature either! Very annoying to have to remember that during a call the convenience key functions differently....

Sometimes the way things are designed make me wonder who exactly is the person behind that thought and what was their thought process as they implemented such a none intuitive feature!

Why not give the user an option disable / enable a feature which by the way, exist on the screen during a call....beyond me.
    Regarding 'such a none intuitive feature' i think this mute functionality can actually be quite handy as it allows to mute through just one click during conversation without having to look at the screen. Besides, it also prevents from having to unlock the phone for accessing the mute icon on the screen for long conversations when your phone got locked while talking (1 action here instead of 2). I would find even more cool that they also add possibility to enable speaker during call through eg double-tap on the convenience key

But as you mention, these settings should definitely be user-definable because end-user should always have the choice.

EDIT : i'm actually not sure the screen can get locked during phone call, but it definitely can switch off, meaning the convenience key for muting is still more practical and efficient than reaching the mute icon on screen. My 2c
    Last edited by k1us3r; 01-23-18 at 07:34 AM.
    01-23-18 07:15 AM
    Regarding 'such a none intuitive feature' i think this mute functionality can actually be quite handy as it allows to mute through just one click during conversation without having to look at the screen. Besides, it also prevents from having to unlock the phone for accessing the mute icon on the screen for long conversations when your phone got locked while talking (1 action here instead of 2). I would find even more cool that they also add possibility to enable speaker during call through eg double-tap on the convenience key

But as you mention, these settings should definitely be user-definable because end-user should always have the choice.

EDIT : i'm actually not sure the screen can get locked during phone call, but it definitely can switch off, meaning the convenience key for muting is still more practical and efficient than reaching the mute icon on screen. My 2c
    I totally agree. I hardly hit the button during call or using the phone. It's just that some people don't want to spend time and teaching oneself some muscle memory.

I'm quite happy the way it is.
    01-23-18 07:46 AM
    I think it would be better if it was short or long press option or one or two clicks cause now its just inconvenient
    pooyam likes this.
    01-23-18 09:05 AM
    I like it , yes I agree that 3 app is a little bit much, but maybe someone uses it. I have only one, as I had before, weather and news an it works nice for me.
    01-23-18 09:17 AM
    I think it would be better if it was short or long press option or one or two clicks cause now its just inconvenient
    You can still set the convenience key for launching only 1 app, making it acting the same way as before the update. So i don't really get why it would now be 'inconvenient'.

I am not totally sure btw that setting up no app at all wasn't already showing the convenience-key setting screen before the update.

It seems anyway that TheBond found a workaround for making the key totally inactive (although it requires 3rd part app 'Button Mapper') .

I though agree that when set to more than 1 app, having the switcher task displayed in the running apps is all but necessary. They should at least remove this background task from displaying, making it acting more like a service (that you don't see running in the apps switching).

And i also agree that triple action button might be more practical, but it could also significantly reduce the lifetime of the button mechanism. Maybe that's why they didn't implement any native function with triple button action so far ? (just gessing).

I must admit that adding another set of 26 keyboard shortcuts (introducing 26 new shortcuts for double-press) could be interesting...
    Last edited by k1us3r; 01-23-18 at 09:54 AM.
    01-23-18 09:38 AM
    You can still set the convenience key for launching only 1 app, making it acting the same way as before the update. So i don't really get why it would now be 'inconvenient'.

I am not totally sure btw that setting up no app at all wasn't already showing the convenience-key setting screen before the update.

It seems anyway that TheBond found a workaround for making the key totally inactive (although it requires 3rd part app 'Button Mapper') .

I though agree that when set to more than 1 app, having the switcher task displayed in the running apps is all but necessary. They should at least remove this background task from displaying, making it acting more like a service (that you don't see running in the apps switching).

And i also agree that triple action button might be more practical, but it could also significantly reduce the lifetime of the button mechanism. Maybe that's why they didn't implement any native function with triple button action so far ? (just gessing).

I must admit that adding another set of 26 keyboard shortcuts (introducing 26 new shortcuts for double-press) could be interesting...
    I'm more talking about if you wanted the Convenience Key to have the ability to open different apps I think short press and Long Press would be better than having to press the convenience key than press the icon
    01-23-18 10:04 AM
    I'm more talking about if you wanted the Convenience Key to have the ability to open different apps I think short press and Long Press would be better than having to press the convenience key than press the icon
    I think most agree that a short and long press would be the way to go, hopefully BBMobile reads this thread.
    01-23-18 12:55 PM
    Again this can be achieved by using the Button Mapping app above.

You can set Short Press, Double Press and Long Press actions. I have tested them with following setup and is working as intended mostly. I'm sure there are other apps to do it as well.
    pooyam likes this.
    01-23-18 04:03 PM
    Update should have made it for single press, double press and long press.
    Exactly.
    01-24-18 12:36 AM

You can set Short Press, Double Press and Long Press actions. I have tested them with following setup and is working as intended mostly. I'm sure there are other apps to do it as well.
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6fa425d0db.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...abfcc1f36e.jpg
    Yeah I have downloaded this app. The setup I want to have is short press camera, double press video camera and long press something else. For whatever reason video camera will always give a permission denied no matter which of the 3 actions I choose. It's no longer a convenience key if you have to push it and then choose an action on screen. The convenience key update is stupid.
    Last edited by megafan2000; 01-24-18 at 09:19 AM.
    RK_BB likes this.
    01-24-18 08:59 AM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6fa425d0db.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...abfcc1f36e.jpg
    I did download that a while back, but it wanted a ton of permissions.
    01-24-18 01:44 PM
    Yeah I have downloaded this app. The setup I want to have is short press camera, double press video camera and long press something else. For whatever reason video camera will always give a permission denied no matter which of the 3 actions I choose. It's no longer a convenience key if you have to push it and then choose an action on screen. The convenience key update is stupid.
    I don't think BlackBerry Camera offers activity to start a video camera on launch. Perhaps you can download an app that just records video on launch, and set that as the double press shortcut.
    I did download that a while back, but it wanted a ton of permissions.
    Of course if you want to perform activities from an app, it'll ask for permissions. For eg, to enable torch, it might need access to the camera as it'll enable torch activity from it. It depends which activity offers what.

Anyway, I don't use this app regularly myself but I thought it'll help those who needed a workaround. The bottom line is, you can't make everyone happy. Overall I am happy with the placement of the button and it doesn't interfere with my day to day tasks.
    01-24-18 03:32 PM
    I don't think BlackBerry Camera offers activity to start a video camera on launch. Perhaps you can download an app that just records video on launch, and set that as the double press shortcut. Of course if you want to perform activities from an app, it'll ask for permissions. For eg, to enable torch, it might need access to the camera as it'll enable torch activity from it. It depends which activity offers what.
    There's a shortcut Record a Video among BlackBerry's default shortcuts. It works. It doesn't work with Button Mapper.
    01-24-18 03:36 PM
    There's a shortcut Record a Video among BlackBerry's default shortcuts. It works. It doesn't work with Button Mapper.
    Thanks for that. I just tried it and it works for me.
    Looks like you didn't give the app permissions to use camera or something.

In my testing, I have Single click to open Camera, Double click to record Video and Long click for Torch.

Try this, reset the app by either uninstalling and reinstalling it or just go to Settings > Apps > Button Mapper > Storage, and clear Clear Data.

Then launch the app, enable Accessibility option. Give permissions as it requires.

For eg, Recording Video needs Camera access.

If for some reason you haven't given access or don't want to reset the app as above, you can give it manually by going to Settings > Apps > Button Mapper > Permissions and enable Camera.

This is how it looks like on mine. Hope it helps.

Ps: I have also "disabled" the Advanced option to Bypass Camera for better result.
    01-24-18 04:07 PM
    that worked. it occasionally doesn't recognize it though and the set up convenience key menu comes up. hopefully we can do this natively in a future update.
    01-24-18 06:26 PM
    that worked. it occasionally doesn't recognize it though and the set up convenience key menu comes up. hopefully we can do this natively in a future update.
    Check my comment about disabling the option from the camera app from Advanced settings in the buttons mapping app.

Again I don't use the app myself.
    01-24-18 07:06 PM
    yes I've got it working already. once or twice though, pressing the convenience key doesn't register so the set up convenience key screen comes up. like I said, hopefully a future update makes us able to do these settings directly rather than thru button mapper.
    01-24-18 09:13 PM
    Yes this can be done.

Install Button Remapper https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ar2.homebutton

Then after setting it up go to Add Button and Click Convenience Key. Open it, enable Customise and under Long press action choose Nothing and you're set.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...caecefc04c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1ccbf9340b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...60308c83f1.jpg
    Hello,

Thanks for the tips.
    I will try this apps.

Do you know if this apps bring ads on the phone ?

Kr,
    Moo
    02-09-18 09:04 PM
    Hello,

Thanks for the tips.
    I will try this apps.

Do you know if this apps bring ads on the phone ?

Kr,
    Moo
    No ads but I don't use it that much. Still have the app installed.
    02-09-18 09:24 PM
    I have shared another method of use of Blackberry keyone convenience key as mute switch (timed)

https://forum.xda-developers.com/bla...witch-t3899281

Or

https://forum.xda-developers.com/bla...-keyone/how-to
    02-13-19 07:34 PM
49 12