I'm trying to understand this thread....

Does this mean only the UK have been selling Keyone's and the USA have still not received stock.

So the only people outside the UK that have them are people who've had them shipped from the UK?
    06-05-17 04:28 AM
    I'm trying to understand this thread....

Does this mean only the UK have been selling Keyone's and the USA have still not received stock.

So the only people outside the UK that have them are people who've had them shipped from the UK?
    No. BlackBerry Mobile has two devices for the NA market - a GSM, and a CDMA variant. The latter is the topic of the conversation.

Something caused BlackBerry Mobile to pull the plug on the May 31 launch of the CDMA version at the last minute, and nobody knows why.
    06-05-17 06:10 AM
    Again, I don't have all the information.

For all I know, Verizon contacted them two days ago and insisted on exclusivity for the CDMA version.
    Wow...that is about the craziest thing I have heard in a long time. I have seen nothing from VZW that indicates that it cares about blackberry phones in years. When I went to buy my Priv a year ago in a VZW store, the sales person asked why and tried to sell me a Samsung or iPhone.
    06-05-17 08:22 AM
    Wow...that is about the craziest thing I have heard in a long time. I have seen nothing from VZW that indicates that it cares about blackberry phones in years. When I went to buy my Priv a year ago in a VZW store, the sales person asked why and tried to sell me a Samsung or iPhone.
    I'm grasping at straws too, but SOMETHING changed at the 11th hour.
    Last edited by conite; 06-05-17 at 08:51 AM.
    06-05-17 08:24 AM
    There are people in these forums with a consumer mentality, and all they want to do is calls things great and terrible and praise and blame people and companies.

And there are people in these forums who look at things from a business perspective and who are interested in the actual facts and decisions taken by the managers of the same companies.

Both are valuable perspectives, but some posters confuse the two perspectives and see an argument where none exists.

Fact: No CDMA at launch, which was contrary to the press release, creating disappointment and confusion among fans, with no explanation from BlackBerry Mobile.

Opinion: The shortage was due to lying/incompetence/manufacturing problems/shipping and distribution/ last minute deals with Verizon and/or Sprint/etc.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    thoms333 and slagman5 like this.
    06-05-17 08:44 AM
    There are people in these forums with a consumer mentality, and all they want to do is calls things great and terrible and praise and blame people and companies.

And there are people in these forums who look at things from a business perspective and who are interested in the actual facts and decisions taken by the managers of the same companies.

Both are valuable perspectives, but some posters confuse the two perspectives and see an argument where none exists.

Fact: No CDMA at launch, which was contrary to the press release, creating disappointment and confusion among fans, with no explanation from BlackBerry Mobile.

Opinion: The shortage was due to lying/incompetence/manufacturing problems/shipping and distribution/ last minute deals with Verizon and/or Sprint/etc.

If they don't give us an explanation, there's no choice but to assume or suggest things.
    06-05-17 12:27 PM
    If they don't give us an explanation, there's no choice but to assume or suggest things.
    Only if one finds it necessary to do so in the first place.
    06-05-17 12:35 PM
    Yes, that's human nature, to look for explanations to observed phenomena. That's how we invented the gods in ancient times! Just be careful you don't invent mythologies with no basis in fact.

BigBadWulf likes this.
    06-05-17 01:40 PM

Maybe because most people on here are consumers. And to your second point, what would you call the guy in charge of devices not knowing just the day before that a certain device actually isn't even ready as he talks about its availability a day later?
    06-05-17 01:45 PM
    Maybe because most people on here are consumers. And to your second point, what would you call the guy in charge of devices not knowing just the day before that a certain device actually isn't even ready as he talks about its availability a day later?
    I would call it confusing and disappointing, and I would wonder what happened. But my experience would also caution me that there could be any number of causes from intentional deception to internal miscommunication to a legal snafu to a container lost at sea!

06-05-17 01:59 PM
    Steve Cistulli should be fired. He posted on twitter that both GSM and CDMA would be available on 5/31. Only GSM was available. The reason Best Buy only carried GSM is CDMA wasn't available and they didn't want to lie and say you could get it at retail stores. So CDMA was put on-sale at amazon as an order taker only. So yes Steve Cistulli should be fired!
    06-05-17 06:59 PM
    Steve Cistulli should be fired. He posted on twitter that both GSM and CDMA would be available on 5/31. Only GSM was available. The reason Best Buy only carried GSM is CDMA wasn't available and they didn't want to lie and say you could get it at retail stores. So CDMA was put on-sale at amazon as an order taker only. So yes Steve Cistulli should be fired!
    I haven't seen the tweet you describe. Did you actually see it or is it a rumor? There was a marketing message from BlackBerry Mobile that CDMA would be available. Is that what you're referring to?

06-06-17 08:14 AM
    Again, I don't have all the information.

For all I know, Verizon contacted them two days ago and insisted on exclusivity for the CDMA version.
    Hey Conite,

All joking aside. I always thought CDMA phones (except for iPhone) were only sold through carrier, like the Classic or the PRIV. I understood this was because Verizon or Sprint had to approve or whitelist devices onto their network. I also understood this was because Verizon and Sprint CDMA bands are different so OEM'S manufactured CDMA devices just for carrier orders. Have things really changed or did I misunderstand?

Posted via CB10
    06-06-17 08:30 AM
    I haven't seen the tweet you describe. Did you actually see it or is it a rumor? There was a marketing message from BlackBerry Mobile that CDMA would be available. Is that what you're referring to?

Didn't I respond to you in another thread with the press release that was posted on the front page of CB where Steve specifically said this? Its pretty common knowledge that he stated (on May 30) that it would be available on the 31st. Not sure why you are in denial about it. But in case you missed it. Here it is again:

https://crackberry.com/blackberry-ke...x4llH2DWZvz.97
    mister2d likes this.
    06-06-17 08:34 AM
    Hey Conite,

All joking aside. I always thought CDMA phones (except for iPhone) were only sold through carrier, like the Classic or the PRIV. I understood this was because Verizon or Sprint had to approve or whitelist devices onto their network. I also understood this was because Verizon and Sprint CDMA bands are different so OEM'S manufactured CDMA devices just for carrier orders. Have things really changed or did I misunderstand?

Posted via CB10
    This has usually been the case, yes.

In any event, Verizon has always kept tight control of the phones on its network, and could theoretically block any device or group of devices they wish.

The direct selling of CDMA phones in the US market would invariably involve a discussion between Verizon and BlackBerry Mobile, with the former pulling most of the weight.
    06-06-17 08:37 AM
    Didn't I respond to you in another thread with the press release that was posted on the front page of CB where Steve specifically said this? Its pretty common knowledge that he stated (on May 30) that it would be available on the 31st. Not sure why you are in denial about it. But in case you missed it. Here it is again:

https://crackberry.com/blackberry-ke...x4llH2DWZvz.97
    Just to be clear, the press release says the CDMA version will be available. Steve Cistulli never said that.

Why does that matter? Because there is a difference between a PR screw up with inaccurate information and the President and GM lying.

It appears to me that the Press Release included a fairly generic quote from Cistulli AND misinformation about the CDMA version of the KEYone.

The CDMA miscommunication is still a very significant screw up, but I see absolutely zero evidence of an intentional deception by Steve Cistulli.

Seriously what motive could he possible have to do that, anyway?

06-06-17 10:24 AM
    Just to be clear, the press release says the CDMA version will be available. Steve Cistulli never said that.

Why does that matter? Because there is a difference between a PR screw up with inaccurate information and the President and GM lying.

It appears to me that the Press Release included a fairly generic quote from Cistulli AND misinformation about the CDMA version of the KEYone.

The CDMA miscommunication is still a very significant screw up, but I see absolutely zero evidence of an intentional deception by Steve Cistulli.

Seriously what motive could he possible have to do that, anyway?

I didn't ever say he was lying. Not one time in any thread in here. I have responded to people stating that yes, they can botch things even if they were nice when people met them and this would qualify as a screw up which you just acknowledged. But what most people do when they screw up, is they fix the screw up rather then remain absolutely quiet and hope nobody notices.
    brunibruni likes this.
    06-06-17 10:41 AM
    My Credit Card has not been charged as of yet for my CDMA K1 purchase through Amazon. Here's my delivery update from Amazon:

Your new estimated delivery date is: Monday, June 26, 2017 - Tuesday, July 18, 2017
    06-06-17 11:16 AM
    I didn't ever say he was lying. Not one time in any thread in here. I have responded to people stating that yes, they can botch things even if they were nice when people met them and this would qualify as a screw up which you just acknowledged. But what most people do when they screw up, is they fix the screw up rather then remain absolutely quiet and hope nobody notices.
    I didn't mean to imply that you said that. So I apologize if I did. I was responding to multiple people who said that Steve Cistulli said or tweeted info about the CDMA version of the KEYone. BlackBerry Mobile did, but as far as I know, he did not personally say that anywhere.

06-06-17 12:08 PM
    Yes, that's human nature, to look for explanations to observed phenomena. That's how we invented the gods in ancient times! Just be careful you don't invent mythologies with no basis in fact.

So now you're making this into an attack on religion...?
    06-06-17 12:17 PM
    The basic point is that people fill in the gaps in their knowledge with things that they make up.

Try to explain lightning to a caveman.
    06-06-17 12:24 PM
    Only someone functionally illiterate could conclude that from my post. I assume you're not in that category, so will conclude that it's a facetious question. :-)

06-06-17 12:27 PM
    Try to explain lightning to a caveman.
    I fel like that's what I spend a lot of time here trying to do. :-D

kbz1960 likes this.
    06-06-17 12:30 PM
    Unfortunately, I know someone that believes the sky is blue because of the oceans :-)
    06-06-17 12:31 PM
    Good thing I didn't order it. I was very close.
    phuoc likes this.
    06-06-17 05:52 PM
145 ... 3456