Just seems like wasted real estate to me. Pretty much every other Android device has those buttons disappear when you're watching a video etc. Why can't this one?
    01-10-17 03:30 PM
    Just seems like wasted real estate to me. Pretty much every other Android device has those buttons disappear when you're watching a video etc. Why can't this one?
    The buttons always being there and always working no matter what is more important to me than a few mm's more screen.

Use > looks for me...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Barbareren likes this.
    01-10-17 05:47 PM
    The buttons always being there and always working no matter what is more important to me than a few mm's more screen.

Use > looks for me...

Agree
    01-10-17 05:52 PM

Use > looks for me...
    Could be so, but what if it isn't about looks but if it appears to indeed interfere with usability....
    I can see a lot of frustration going on already where people mistakenly hit the circle or triangle and thereby ruining a longer video they were shooting. Usability in this case would mean that those Android buttons would automatically hide when the camera is on. They are just too close to the Camera buttons.....I mean, there are already black and bottom banners, so could just as well have them on the right side too.

Concern: Capacitive Android Buttons Above Keyboard?-new-blackberry-mercury-hands-they-back.mp4-00_01_1900001.jpgConcern: Capacitive Android Buttons Above Keyboard?-new-blackberry-mercury-hands-they-back.mp4-00_01_2000002.jpg
    01-11-17 07:40 AM
    On the DTEK60 there is a very annoying trait in certain apps where it is VERY HARD to get them to appear and thus it's also VERY HARD to get out of the App. T-Mobile's "Tuesdays" app is one of the worst offenders in this regard, and it sucks.

Being able to "square" to the task manager at any time and murder that evil app is IMHO a GOOD THING.
    Yes yes, this, so much this. I can't believe there are people who would rather put up with that headache over a few mm's of screen... I definitely would rather have a consistency in behavior...

01-11-17 08:46 AM
    Could be so, but what if it isn't about looks but if it appears to indeed interfere with usability....
    I can see a lot of frustration going on already where people mistakenly hit the circle or triangle and thereby ruining a longer video they were shooting. Usability in this case would mean that those Android buttons would automatically hide when the camera is on. They are just too close to the Camera buttons.....I mean, there are already black and bottom banners, so could just as well have them on the right side too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Blackberry Mercury Hands On - Are They Back.mp4-00_01_1900001.jpg 
Views:	577 
Size:	167.4 KB 
ID:	415657Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Blackberry Mercury Hands On - Are They Back.mp4-00_01_2000002.jpg 
Size:	172.7 KB 
ID:	415658
    With a physical keyboard, why would you even use the on-screen shutter button? Just press the space bar...

Lefty724 likes this.
    01-11-17 08:47 AM
    With a physical keyboard, why would you even use the on-screen shutter button? Just press the space bar...
    Makes you wonder about the necessity of an on-screen shutter button all together. Might as well ditch it and make room for a quick access video button when in camera mode and quick access camera button when in video mode.....
    zensen likes this.
    01-11-17 09:20 AM
    Makes you wonder about the necessity of an on-screen shutter button all together. Might as well ditch it and make room for a quick access video button when in camera mode and quick access camera button when in video mode.....
    Sometimes redundancy is not a bad thing, but who knows.

01-11-17 10:06 AM
    Blackberry has had capacitive keys for a while now in their tool belt and they are always visible. This should feel normal in BB PKB culture.

Use > looks for me...

^this is PKB culture and is why a fixed capacitive navbar makes sense. PKB users tend to be fiercely pragmatic and like things that make sense and work; they are fine with sacrificing "bells and whistles" for usability. This is why BlackBerry PKB users love the tool belt and don't try and tell them it's a waste of screen realestate. I know the navbar is NOT the belt but a bit of that principle still applies and PKB users will appreciate the navbar's constant presence.
    01-11-17 11:56 AM

Hehe that person is clearly not used to taking pictures with a PKB phone xD

Posted via CB10
    01-11-17 12:35 PM

In normal/vertical mode, the on-screen is easier to use. Physical button, especially at one end of the phone can make the camera move on the press unless you're using two hands
    01-11-17 02:35 PM
    Hehe that person is clearly not used to taking pictures with a PKB phone xD
    If you're referring to the girl in the video then that could be the case. I've seen teenager/young adults (who grew up with using touchscreen smartphones only) actually pressing the physical keys (of pkb bb's) with their index fingers and then complaining that they're an awkward, inconvenient & unproductive way to type and "get things done" (like we said in the good ol' days) and adding it doesn't appear to be a "workhorse" LOL.
    If you're referring to me, a Priv owner from day one myself, I must confess, that I totally forgot that you could use the space bar to take a photograph since I have never EVER taken a photo/video while the keyboard is out. Very inconvenient to have such BIG thing in your hands while shooting. Looks stupid too imho, almost as if you're holding a small tablet in your hands. I've always found it better to handle/operate the device when taking photographs/shooting video, when its closed. Since these issues aren't there with the Merc, I think they should indeed just replace the on-screen shutter button with a quick access for either the cam or the video (depending on what you're doing atm).

In normal/vertical mode, the on-screen is easier to use. Physical button, especially at one end of the phone can make the camera move on the press unless you're using two hands
    Good observation.
    Last edited by WT44; 01-11-17 at 03:55 PM.
    01-11-17 03:14 PM
    I can see a lot of frustration going on already where people mistakenly hit the circle or triangle
    Which brings us back to the question: why not regular buttons? what's the point/advantage of capacitive here?
    01-11-17 03:44 PM
    Which brings us back to the question: why not regular buttons? what's the point/advantage of capacitive here?
    Screen have a define size and screen ratio : 3/2 and 4.6.

It will not be taller even without the capacitive buttons.

But on the other hand, without them, on screen buttons would be need, therefore taking some screen space.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-17 01:24 AM
    I am so scared about this. WHY wouldn't they make it like the Priv where it's just built into the screen and not a separate thing? So if I'm watching a video, those buttons will ALWAYS stay there? How did this possibly get through the design phase??? Boggles the mind.

Is this a thing? Any insight?
    Ok, why is this scary?
    01-13-17 06:16 AM
    Ok, why is this scary?
    Yes, it's so scary to have buttons that are always there no matter what instead of having a few more mm's of screen. Obviously the mm's of screen is more important... So, it's so scary!!!11

01-13-17 09:58 AM
    Screen have a define size and screen ratio : 3/2 and 4.6.

It will not be taller even without the capacitive buttons.

But on the other hand, without them, on screen buttons would be need, therefore taking some screen space.

Posted via CB10
    Very valid point, has nothing to do with what I wrote though. I didn't complain about the existence of the buttons. I said I preferred to see them as normal push buttons (not capacitive touch).
    01-13-17 01:54 PM
    Very valid point, has nothing to do with what I wrote though. I didn't complain about the existence of the buttons. I said I preferred to see them as normal push buttons (not capacitive touch).
    I think an issue is there are no PKBs like this in the market to see what works and what doesn't so probably some of these features are looked at what the general demand is for capacitive over physical.
    01-14-17 06:32 AM
    Yes, it's so scary to have buttons that are always there no matter what instead of having a few more mm's of screen. Obviously the mm's of screen is more important... So, it's so scary!!!11

You're clearly emotional about this and are only looking at it from your perspective. I'm trying to generate a discussion as to the pros and cons of having permanent "buttons" there. And before you hop on me for being a touch screen lover who cares more for a few mm of screen space, I've been a long-time PKB user and lover. The Q10 didn't have permanent buttons (yes, it was gesture-based) and that worked fine. In the end it's all negligible. I now get why people say fanboys are extremely annoying.
    02-12-17 01:02 PM
    You're clearly emotional about this and are only looking at it from your perspective. I'm trying to generate a discussion as to the pros and cons of having permanent "buttons" there. And before you hop on me for being a touch screen lover who cares more for a few mm of screen space, I've been a long-time PKB user and lover. The Q10 didn't have permanent buttons (yes, it was gesture-based) and that worked fine. In the end it's all negligible. I now get why people say fanboys are extremely annoying.
    Dude it's been more than a month. Let it go.

People need to understand people have their own preferences. One size doesn't fit all.

To me, it doesn't matter if there are permanent navigation keys or not. I can see the benefits of both and adapt to either.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    02-12-17 01:16 PM
    Lol, I'm not emotional about anything, I was actually joking around with the whole "I'm so scared" comment. Notice the 1's behind the exclamations. That's a play on if someone wants to put a bunch of exclamations but let off the shift key too early on a PC keyboard. I typed that with my Classic, where the number 1 and the exclamation are nowhere close to each other. It's obviously just a joke, lol.

And I had a Q10 before the Classic. Total rubbish without the toolbelt compared to the old Bolds and the Classic. Man, I sound British. "Rubbish!" lol

zensen likes this.
    02-12-17 01:51 PM
    Two mutually beneficial reasons: screen real estate maximization and BlackBerry toolbelt reminiscence.
    I am sorry but how is there any maximization when you have a dedicated nav bar strip that unlike the Priv cannot become transparent for YouTube for example? You have either stolen from the screen area, or have added an extra 8mms to the length of the device to be able to provide this dedicated band... The transparent nav bar on the Priv is perfect, why regress to this compromised design? Reminiscing the old tool belt for the sake of appearance would simply be a fatal design decision... and please don't cite the Classic tool belt because most of us know that the Classic despite some sales represents the caboose of a now defunct OS10. TCL's final Mercury design, as a minimum needs to provide the same level of streamlined interface as the Piv. Hope Cistulli and other product designers at TCL are paying attention to this.
    02-13-17 09:44 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Blackberry Mercury Hands On - Are They Back.mp4-00_01_1900001.jpg 
Size:	167.4 KB 
ID:	415657Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Blackberry Mercury Hands On - Are They Back.mp4-00_01_2000002.jpg 
Size:	172.7 KB 
ID:	415658
    If you're using it that way, you're using it wrong already. Spacebar acts as the shutter. I always extend my Priv to hold in camera mode, makes things much easier.
    tnewton3 likes this.
    02-13-17 09:54 PM
    I am sorry but how is there any maximization when you have a dedicated nav bar strip that unlike the Priv cannot become transparent for YouTube for example? You have either stolen from the screen area, or have added an extra 8mms to the length of the device to be able to provide this dedicated band... The transparent nav bar on the Priv is perfect, why regress to this compromised design? Reminiscing the old tool belt for the sake of appearance would simply be a fatal design decision... and please don't cite the Classic tool belt because most of us know that the Classic despite some sales represents the caboose of a now defunct OS10. TCL's final Mercury design, as a minimum needs to provide the same level of streamlined interface as the Piv. Hope Cistulli and other product designers at TCL are paying attention to this.
    Well I just explained why in a previous post.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-17 12:43 AM
    My bad, I didn't understand it that way.

I don't know, I am so acclimated to capacitive buttons, I didn't even thought about them as normal push buttons.

Posted via CB10
    pooyam likes this.
    02-14-17 12:45 AM
178 12345 ...