So, loving the KEYone, half a day of usage so far....

Found my first bug though - likely a OS thing.

Put phone on charge for the night, set clock night mode and the Backlight remained on. I.e. digital clock with light "grey" background light.

brought phone back to life and plaid around with screen saver, same issue.

I assume its a Nougat thing as it worked as expected under Marshmallow on my PRIV...

Help please... going to really miss my bedside clock until this is fixed - yup, it's quite bright.
    06-01-17 07:46 AM
    If I remember the specs right, the KEYone does not have an AMOLED screen.
    If you put a completely black image on the screen, it will still use a significant amount of power and give off a lot of light.
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-01-17 08:07 AM
    Correct, the display technology here is at fault, not the OS.

The Priv is equipped with an OLED screen which can light up individual pixels so deep blacks is the hallmark of the technology. (common in Samsung Galaxy phones)

The KEYone has a more traditional IPS LCD which relies on a backlight to illuminate the entire display. (like the iPhone)

Both technologies have their pros and cons, you just happened to notice the absence of a very big OLED pro.

Comparable is the Lumia 920 and 925.

The former had an LCD and the latter had an AMOLED panel. Glance mode (basically a persistent clock on Nokia phones) was great on the 925 but the 920 had to light up the whole display (albeit very dimly) to achieve a similar low-power clock display.

I had a 920 and I didn't mind it, even at night but it sounds like this KEYone isn't dimming as much as would be nice.

Could you try the Clock screensaver's "very dim room" option? (I forget the exact wording.)
    1122334455667788 likes this.
    06-01-17 10:44 PM
    Ah, yes. It is indeed the type of screen. I noticed the difference immediately between my Priv and DTEK50. A bummer, but the upside is the DTEK50 is much easier to read in bright sunlight. I expect the KeyOne to be the same.
    06-02-17 05:51 AM
    Thanks everyone for the clarification. I'm getting used to the Backlight when in bedside screensaver mode. the plus side, much better display in the sun and with my polarized sunglasses on. with my Priv, had to take my sunglasses off to effectively read the screen - to get rid of the rainbows.
    06-07-17 11:26 AM