I am finding that my Keyone performs better with only a few apps open in recent apps view.

I was under the assumption that Android just closes apps in the background, so why the difference between clearing recent apps manually, and letting them pile up in recent apps?

Since I started clearing recent apps, I have not had any apps that freeze.
    04-07-18 07:06 AM
    I liked how BB10 limited the number of open apps by automatically closing the oldest ones, is their some way in Android to do this?
    04-07-18 07:42 AM
    Android does close unused apps when memory is needed. I believe the algorithm uses, - time since last use, historical frequency of use over ?? time period, amount of total memory being used and amount being used by each app. It does a fairly decent job with a few apps being left open, (a few being defined by how much is going on in the background, many apps use resources even when closed).
    Anecdotal evidence is pretty overwhelming that a whole bunch of apps open overwhelms the algorithms and causes problems.
    The only reason not to close an app, is that it takes longer to completely open from scratch than it is to call to front from already open status. And uses more resources to do so.
    In actual practice, unless you are actively switching back and forth between apps, the difference is so minor it's almost un-noticeable.
    Technically you are better off leaving a couple of your most commonly used apps open.
    Personally, I don't bother, it's easier to just hit the close all button. The extra couple of milliseconds to open an app is not a big deal.
    And, if you have set an app to not access the cellular network while closed, not closing it kinda defeats the purpose.
    04-07-18 07:52 AM
    I am finding that my Keyone performs better with only a few apps open in recent apps view.

I was under the assumption that Android just closes apps in the background, so why the difference between clearing recent apps manually, and letting them pile up in recent apps?

Since I started clearing recent apps, I have not had any apps that freeze.
    With original KEYone this was a problem with half a dozen apps open device slowed or apps froze. “Clear All” would solve things. Problem has largely gone away with Black Edition and 4 Gb RAM. Interestingly the Motion is closer to the Black Edition. The latter two can handle many open apps.
    04-07-18 07:55 AM