View Poll Results: Classic vs Keyone PKB; which is better?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Classic PKB

12 70.59%
  • Keyone PKB

5 29.41%
    Which has a better PKB? Classic or Keyone?
    super_rigel likes this.
    06-19-17 04:18 PM
    I would say the Classic by a small hair. Both are the same width but the Classic is taller so it's nicer to type on... But it's on BB10 and has 4 year-old specs, and only 26 keyboard shortcuts to the KEYone's 52... But anyway, even though I'm saying the Classic is slightly better, the KEYone is still amazingly good. I can type accurately on it without looking no problem.
    pooyam likes this.
    06-19-17 05:13 PM
    I like the clickiness of the keys on the KeyOne more.
    06-19-17 05:41 PM
    How does the screen feel to the body? Not trying t stir anything up - you're respected on the forums and was curious your thoughts on the debacle that seems to be plaguing some. I felt the classic felt more rigid when I tried the KeyOne in the store but wanted your input.
    06-19-17 05:57 PM
    How does the screen feel to the body? Not trying t stir anything up - you're respected on the forums and was curious your thoughts on the debacle that seems to be plaguing some. I felt the classic felt more rigid when I tried the KeyOne in the store but wanted your input.
    It's not really one of those things that you'd notice on a "normal" one of these phones. It's basically a problem that some phone will have a really bad screen failure. Those phones that do not exhibit the problem will feel perfectly normal.

I actually have a really good example to compare this with. I used to work with Ford, and they had a safety recall on airbag units for a certain car (F150, the one I drove was included in the recall) where some people experienced it going off on its own without having been in an accident. It was found when they took these air bags out, that the wiring harness connecting the airbag have had the shielding around it worn down and the power cable grounded out on a piece of exposed metal in the steering column.

Is this a major problem that affected a number of people? Yes. Did it affect the majority of the vehicles of that year? Not at all. In fact, somehow, even though the cars affected and my car and others that had their airbags replaced under this recall were designed exactly the same and were assembled in exactly the same way, not all of them were being worn down in the same way.

So how come this issue, which was a real issue, didn't happen to every car? It's simple, even if two things are manufactured the same way, there are still many other factors that affect how the parts will behave with each other. You think Ford didn't properly test their cars out before shipping them? Of course they did, and none of their test units had spontaneous airbag deployments.

The fix was simple BTW, they simply replaced the airbag units with ones where the wiring harness had a heavier mesh shielding around it, I forgot what material they used, but basically there would be no way in heck those would wear down on their own without tampering in that environment.

That's basically what's happening here and why because I say that mine has been fine so far and others saying theirs is fine so far, it is not trying to imply that those who have experienced the issue are making it up, or whatever. I'm pretty sure that for most of the phones, the amount of adhesive they put will hold their screens just fine. But for others it will fail, and there will likely be more in the near future, no doubt about it. Am I worried? Not really. But that's because for me, even if it happens I'll likely know how to fix it. I RARELY ever drop my phone, so if my screen ever lifts, it'll most likely not be in a violent manner where the connector ribbon would tear, I could then simply buy double-sided screen repair tape and just tape the sucker back on. That's literally how you replace the screens on most phones, so it's not like it's a "ghetto" fix or whatever...

Anyway, sorry for the long explanation...

But checking my Classic now along-side the KEYone, my Classic's screen has a little bit of play in the screen. Not as much outward, but inward, you can pinch the phone at some places and the screen will move inward a bit. Not a lot, but you can definitely see the pinching affecting the phone. My KEYone doesn't seem to have that issue. Of course with that I have to worry about the screen coming outward, not inward, lol. :-D
    06-19-17 07:08 PM
    All I can tell you, is this is the only physical keyboard since the days of the Bold 9700 that actually feels to type on. Keys are sturdy yet have the nice clicky feeling when you tap them. the phone feels good in the hands and so does the keyboard (ladies, hit me up on snap chat )
    06-19-17 07:29 PM
    It's not really one of those things that you'd notice on a "normal" one of these phones. It's basically a problem that some phone will have a really bad screen failure. Those phones that do not exhibit the problem will feel perfectly normal.

I actually have a really good example to compare this with. I used to work with Ford, and they had a safety recall on airbag units for a certain car (F150, the one I drove was included in the recall) where some people experienced it going off on its own without having been in an accident. It was found when they took these air bags out, that the wiring harness connecting the airbag have had the shielding around it worn down and the power cable grounded out on a piece of exposed metal in the steering column.

Is this a major problem that affected a number of people? Yes. Did it affect the majority of the vehicles of that year? Not at all. In fact, somehow, even though the cars affected and my car and others that had their airbags replaced under this recall were designed exactly the same and were assembled in exactly the same way, not all of them were being worn down in the same way.

So how come this issue, which was a real issue, didn't happen to every car? It's simple, even if two things are manufactured the same way, there are still many other factors that affect how the parts will behave with each other. You think Ford didn't properly test their cars out before shipping them? Of course they did, and none of their test units had spontaneous airbag deployments.

The fix was simple BTW, they simply replaced the airbag units with ones where the wiring harness had a heavier mesh shielding around it, I forgot what material they used, but basically there would be no way in heck those would wear down on their own without tampering in that environment.

That's basically what's happening here and why because I say that mine has been fine so far and others saying theirs is fine so far, it is not trying to imply that those who have experienced the issue are making it up, or whatever. I'm pretty sure that for most of the phones, the amount of adhesive they put will hold their screens just fine. But for others it will fail, and there will likely be more in the near future, no doubt about it. Am I worried? Not really. But that's because for me, even if it happens I'll likely know how to fix it. I RARELY ever drop my phone, so if my screen ever lifts, it'll most likely not be in a violent manner where the connector ribbon would tear, I could then simply buy double-sided screen repair tape and just tape the sucker back on. That's literally how you replace the screens on most phones, so it's not like it's a "ghetto" fix or whatever...

But checking my Classic now along-side the KEYone, my Classic's screen has a little bit of play in the screen. Not as much outward, but inward, you can pinch the phone at some places and the screen will move inward a bit. Not a lot, but you can definitely see the pinching affecting the phone. My KEYone doesn't seem to have that issue. Of course with that I have to worry about the screen coming outward, not inward, lol. :-D
    Wow thanks for that explanation. I am confident that if I do have the problem that I'll be taken care of too. Cheers man, I totally get it.
    06-19-17 07:40 PM
    All I can tell you, is this is the only physical keyboard since the days of the Bold 9700 that actually feels to type on. Keys are sturdy yet have the nice clicky feeling when you tap them. the phone feels good in the hands and so does the keyboard (ladies, hit me up on snap chat )
    I loved the 9780 so that's a great plus for me. Cheers my friend. Thanks.
    Snappy Phoenix likes this.
    06-19-17 07:41 PM
    I would say the Classic by a small hair. Both are the same width but the Classic is taller so it's nicer to type on... But it's on BB10 and has 4 year-old specs, and only 26 keyboard shortcuts to the KEYone's 52... But anyway, even though I'm saying the Classic is slightly better, the KEYone is still amazingly good. I can type accurately on it without looking no problem.
    Ditto everything, except that using 3rd party apps (Buttons Remapper) you can set up combination shortcuts, which'll take you to close to 1000 possible shortcuts! I'm doing "A+..." for directions to places for ex.

Still Classic had slightly better individual keys, and most importantly it had phone pick up and hang up buttons. I would've also preferred physical android navigation buttons instead of the soft touch on K1
    06-19-17 08:09 PM
    Don't forget about our friend the Q10
    Thaefner18 likes this.
    06-19-17 08:19 PM

Funny . I had my 2013 RAM in for the same issue , airbag wiring harness in steering column causing it to go off inadvertently
    06-19-17 08:26 PM
    Don't forget about our friend the Q10
    Lol I would have agreed but all of my q10s had terrible keyboards with double tapping or oversensitive keys , actually ordered 10 replacements to have on hand for when they gave out. Once I got a classic the keyboard was so much nicer (the feel and reliability) never had to replace one , no double typing and better clickiness
    06-19-17 08:30 PM
    Lol I would have agreed but all of my q10s had terrible keyboards with double tapping or oversensitive keys , actually ordered 10 replacements to have on hand for when they gave out. Once I got a classic the keyboard was so much nicer (the feel and reliability) never had to replace one , no double typing and better clickiness
    Ouch that's bad luck. The 2 I've bought so far have been good. One I sent through the wash, battery inside, turned on I'm assuming. Water damage indicators on battery and phone changed color. I waited a month and the only thing wrong is the keyboard won't light up sometimes.

Did you try replacing the KB yourself? I've heard the Q10 keyboard is among the easiest to repair, but I don't think I'd want to do it myself.
    06-19-17 08:42 PM
    I'd say Classic wins this round by far, based on my experience. The keys on Classic is super pleasant to hit. I remember being able to type without looking at the phone 15 minutes after turning it on! With the Keyone, there's a bit of learning curve.

You need to apply a bit more force on the Keyone's keyboard, and the keys don't come back as quickly after you hit them as the Classic.

The Classic's keys also have a little bit more depth to them, which was surprising to me given how thick the Keyone is (btw, the Priv and the 9800/9810 are the worst in terms of key depth). Combined with the quick return of the key after being pressed, the Classic has a more clicky feeling than the Keyone.

Finally, the Classic's keys are also bigger, which mean big thumbs like mine fly on the Classic, whereas on the Keyone there was a period of adjustment needed.

Overall I will give the Classic a 10/10 and the Keyone a 8/10. The Keyone only beats the Classic in terms of keyboard gestures and fingerprint sensor.

This is not to say the Keyone's keyboard is bad at all - in fact I'm happily using it. It's just that the Classic is on a class of its own.

p.s. this is from a guy who have been using a Keyone for a week and have owned almost every pkb BB phone since the 8700!
    06-20-17 06:23 AM
    a relative thread with no definitive resolve - I would say give yourself up to 2 weeks - I now like the KEYᵒⁿᵉ keyboard - that or the muscle fatigue is being mentally blocked out lol
    06-20-17 07:08 AM
    Negligible difference between the two and is completely subjective.
    anon(10250369) likes this.
    06-20-17 07:44 AM
    Negligible difference between the two and is completely subjective.
    I'm pretty sure you're right. It's funny this thread came up, because I just came by a relative's old Classic on a trip. When I pulled out the K1 to compare, I was surprised to see how similar the keyboards looked. At a glance, they appear the same. Then again, if the keyboard is what BlackBerry is best at, we shouldn't necessarily expect a lot of revisions. I'm thinking the K1 could have had a smaller screen to match the body size of the Classic (or Passport) and I'd be happy with it as well.
    06-20-17 08:49 AM
    You summed up the differences really well. I agree 100%.
    06-20-17 09:58 AM
    I'm pretty sure you're right. It's funny this thread came up, because I just came by a relative's old Classic on a trip. When I pulled out the K1 to compare, I was surprised to see how similar the keyboards looked. At a glance, they appear the same. Then again, if the keyboard is what BlackBerry is best at, we shouldn't necessarily expect a lot of revisions. I'm thinking the K1 could have had a smaller screen to match the body size of the Classic (or Passport) and I'd be happy with it as well.
    Agreed!
    06-20-17 12:54 PM
    I prefer the clickiness of the Classic but have no problems with the KEYone PKB.
    06-20-17 01:35 PM
    The Classic wins hands down. One pet peeve on the KEYone for me is the tiny printing of symbols on the keys. If you are a senior like me, it is very hard to see them. I bought the KEYone, but if I had known that I have to dig out my glasses every time I use the phone I would have passed on it. My husband noticed this when we went to Bell Canada to buy it and thought it would be an issue. He was right. I am thinking of selling mine even though my phone is perfect in every other way. Not fun to be squinting and trying to make out the symbols.
    06-20-17 01:52 PM
    The Classic wins hands down. One pet peeve on the KEYone for me is the tiny printing of symbols on the keys. If you are a senior like me, it is very hard to see them. I bought the KEYone, but if I had known that I have to dig out my glasses every time I use the phone I would have passed on it. My husband noticed this when we went to Bell Canada to buy it and thought it would be an issue. He was right. I am thinking of selling mine even though my phone is perfect in every other way. Not fun to be squinting and trying to make out the symbols.
    After awhile won't you have them memorized?
    06-20-17 02:41 PM
    After awhile won't you have them memorized?
    I think you missed the senior part of the equation lol. No memory problems yet, but no I tend to rely on my eyes for those symbols. With the shiny keys there is also glare that makes them hard to see so I am always tipping my phone to see them without glare. I don't think the KEYone is going to cut it for me sadly. I hope I can get most of money out when I sell.
    06-20-17 04:28 PM
    I think you missed the senior part of the equation lol. No memory problems yet, but no I tend to rely on my eyes for those symbols. With the shiny keys there is also glare that makes them hard to see so I am always tipping my phone to see them without glare. I don't think the KEYone is going to cut it for me sadly. I hope I can get most of money out when I sell.
    That's too bad but you have to use what works for you.
    kitmo likes this.
    06-20-17 04:31 PM
    Hello,

The two keyboards are good.
    I just prefer a little the Classic one for esthetic pupose because keys are less glossy and have better backlight. It was the Classic

Kr,
    Moo
    06-20-17 05:39 PM
42 12