When plugging in the K1, I am presented with a choice of "Charge Only" and "Boost Mode." This is a bit of a UX fail, since the purpose and function of these options is not obvious.

It seems to me that "Charge Only" is just regular charging. I can still do other things with the phone and it doesn't appear to affect performance, but perhaps something happens behind the scenes.

Then, I can only assume "Boost Mode" is the fast charging mode, which alters certain background processes and gets the phone charged ~50% in ~36 minutes.

Has anyone seen official documentation that explains the difference?

For future updates, let's hope they rename and clarify these options in the UI for better clarity.

EDIT: The specific use case I'm referring to is using the official charger provided with the phone and plugging it into the wall. The USB via computer (or another device) is an entirely different issue which presents even more options that can be confusing.
    Last edited by blackberry_ebooks; 06-07-17 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Clarified use case
    FF22 likes this.
    06-07-17 08:16 AM
    I think it also matters just what charger you're using: the ideal one is a Quick Charge 3.0 charger plugged into a wall, which is what I'm guessing they're using for their claims of 50% in 36 minutes. If it's plugged into a computer, say, it wouldn't matter too much.
    anon(10250369) likes this.
    06-07-17 08:36 AM
    I can definitely see room for confusion.
    Are you sure the charge only option isn't for making sure no data is transfered through the USB connection ?
    06-07-17 08:41 AM
    When plugging in the K1, I am presented with a choice of "Charge Only" and "Boost Mode." This is a bit of a UX fail, since the purpose and function of these options is not obvious.

It seems to me that "Charge Only" is just regular charging. I can still do other things with the phone and it doesn't appear to affect performance, but perhaps something happens behind the scenes.

Then, I can only assume "Boost Mode" is the fast charging mode, which alters certain background processes and gets the phone charged ~50% in ~36 minutes.

For future updates, let's hope they rename and clarify these options in the UI for better clarity.
    First of all (if I remember correctly) QC 3.0 is always enabled when using an appropriate QC 3.0 wall charger (the one that comes with the phone is QC 3.0 as far as some folks on the forum said).
    That boost mode option, if used will stop certain background activity, like switching off LTE or mobile data if it's on, switching off wifi, basically, except for the basic functionality of making calls and receiving messages most background battery consumers will be limited so charging can be done quick, like 50% in 36 minutes.
    Either way you can find all this in the manual, maybe someone can correct me since what I said above is based on what ppl reported on the forum, I don't own the phone yet so I'm not talking from personal experience.
    06-07-17 08:50 AM
    I can definitely see room for confusion.
    Are you sure the charge only option isn't for making sure no data is transfered through the USB connection ?
    Yes, I updated the original thread to clarify my use case. Indeed, if you plug into a computer, you get something like 4 options (also with their own potential confusion since there are charging and data transfer options at the same time). I suppose the word "only" - or the fact that I even have to make a selection if I simply want to charge with a wall charger - is what makes it a bit unclear.
    06-07-17 08:56 AM
    First of all (if I remember correctly) QC 3.0 is always enabled when using an appropriate QC 3.0 wall charger (the one that comes with the phone is QC 3.0 as far as some folks on the forum said).
    That boost mode option, if used will stop certain background activity, like switching off LTE or mobile data if it's on, switching off wifi, basically, except for the basic functionality of making calls and receiving messages most background battery consumers will be limited so charging can be done quick, like 50% in 36 minutes.
    Either way you can find all this in the manual, maybe someone can correct me since what I said above is based on what ppl reported on the forum, I don't own the phone yet so I'm not talking from personal experience.
    Thanks for your response. It sounds to me like "Charge Only" simply means regular charging like someone would expect from plugging a device into its charger. I wonder why there is a need to even offer the option. Perhaps it should just ask whether or not to use boost mode.
    06-07-17 08:58 AM
    Thanks for your response. It sounds to me like "Charge Only" simply means regular charging like someone would expect from plugging a device into its charger. I wonder why there is a need to even offer the option. Perhaps it should just ask whether or not to use boost mode.
    "Charge Only" is the default USB connection mode when you connect to a computer and is actually a security feature. In order to transfer data between your phone and a computer, you must first unlock it and then choose "Data Transfer Mode".

"Boost Mode" is a power saving feature that reduces background activity in the phone's processor. By reducing internal power consumption while the phone is charging, the overall charging process takes less time.

Quick Charging is controlled by the phone and is enabled when a QuickCharge compatible charger is connected. When the included charger is connected, the phone will always operate in QuickCharge mode. If you choose Boost Mode the charging time will be reduced because the phone is consuming less power.
    06-07-17 09:24 AM
    "Charge Only" is the default USB connection mode when you connect to a computer and is actually a security feature. In order to transfer data between your phone and a computer, you must first unlock it and then choose "Data Transfer Mode".

"Boost Mode" is a power saving feature that reduces background activity in the phone's processor. By reducing internal power consumption while the phone is charging, the overall charging process takes less time.

Quick Charging is controlled by the phone and is enabled when a QuickCharge compatible charger is connected. When the included charger is connected, the phone will always operate in QuickCharge mode. If you choose Boost Mode the charging time will be reduced because the phone is consuming less power.
    Thanks for the detailed descriptions. It sounds like "charge only" is relevant when the device is connected to a computer (e.g. to charge versus allowing file transfer options), but not relevant when connected to an outlet (no transfer takes place). Yet, even when the device is connected without the possibility of transferring files (i.e. to a wall outlet), the "charge only" option is still presented.
    06-07-17 09:37 AM
    Don't expect the phone to charge from 0/15% to 50% in only 36 minutes. I've tested it using the OEM charger and two different Anker 3.0 chargers, with and without boost mode and the battery has never charged at a rate of 1% per minute or more.

The best I've gotten was a 27% increase in 30 minutes. Which isn't bad, but when they said to 50% in 36 minutes I wasn't expecting them to mean from 25% lol
    06-07-17 09:45 AM
    Don't expect the phone to charge from 0/15% to 50% in only 36 minutes. I've tested it using the OEM charger and two different Anker 3.0 chargers, with and without boost mode and the battery has never charged at a rate of 1% per minute or more.

The best I've gotten was a 27% increase in 30 minutes. Which isn't bad, but when they said to 50% in 36 minutes I wasn't expecting them to mean from 25% lol
    Maybe they meant from 49%?
    Witmen likes this.
    06-07-17 09:47 AM
    Thanks for the detailed descriptions. It sounds like "charge only" is relevant when the device is connected to a computer (e.g. to charge versus allowing file transfer options), but not relevant when connected to an outlet (no transfer takes place). Yet, even when the device is connected without the possibility of transferring files (i.e. to a wall outlet), the "charge only" option is still presented.
    While I don't pretend to know exactly what the KEYone interface is actually talking about (I don't even have a KEYone) a charge only (no data exchanged) option is potentially useful even for wall chargers. The reason is that you might be using a public charger, which may not be trust worthy.
    Here is an article from 2011 about it: https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...new-firesheep/
    Since then, I believe most devices have added a charge only option to prevent juice jacking.
    You probably shouldn't trust public chargers anyways. They may not be able to access your data, but I think they can still physically fry your phone.
    06-07-17 10:04 AM
    While I don't pretend to know exactly what the KEYone interface is actually talking about (I don't even have a KEYone) a charge only (no data exchanged) option is potentially useful even for wall chargers. The reason is that you might be using a public charger, which may not be trust worthy.
    Here is an article from 2011 about it: https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...new-firesheep/
    Since then, I believe most devices have added a charge only option to prevent juice jacking.
    You probably shouldn't trust public chargers anyways. They may not be able to access your data, but I think they can still physically fry your phone.
    Thanks for the article. I didn't know about this phenomenon. I think I see where my confusion came from now. I was thinking of the options in terms of my device (i.e. "my device should do this"), while they are intended to be respective to the "cable" or "connection" between devices (i.e. "this connection should do this"). When I think of it that way, choices like "charge only" and the different file transfer selections (that appear when connected to a PC) make sense. They don't affect what my device itself does alone, but mediate the specific connection between my device and another.
    06-07-17 10:35 AM

I haven't done specific testing on mine, but have been shocked at how fast the charging occurs. This is using the provided wall charger. Either with or without boost mode, I'm getting charged up in about 1 hour it seems. Then, the battery lasts for 2 days.
    06-07-17 10:37 AM
    ...You probably shouldn't trust public chargers anyways. They may not be able to access your data, but I think they can still physically fry your phone.
    Very unlikely, but that doesn't mean others haven't posted alarmist articles on the same topic.
    06-07-17 05:10 PM

EDIT: The specific use case I'm referring to is using the official charger provided with the phone and plugging it into the wall. The USB via computer (or another device) is an entirely different issue which presents even more options that can be confusing.
    If you're using a quick charge compatible charger, both options will be quick charge, but boost mode they disable some things to make it even faster...

I wish they had an option for normal charging. I don't need quick charge while I'm asleep... I would rather it not heat up the phone at all. I'll be using the old cube from my Classic that isn't quick charge compatible...
    06-07-17 08:14 PM
    Very unlikely, but that doesn't mean others haven't posted alarmist articles on the same topic.
    Yeah you're right. It's also going to be pretty obvious what's going on after a few phones start smoking, unlike with stealing data where most people will probably never notice.

Actually I'd be more concerned with plugging in random USB sticks you find than with charging stations. USB stick looking devices that are capable of destroying a phone/computer are easy to buy. Still not likely to happen, but it is possible that someone might leave one somewhere as a bad practical joke.
    06-07-17 08:46 PM

I don't know if to call you on your bs or not. My Priv charges from 5% to 100% in 1 h and 10-15 minutes (using an aukey QC 2.0), I never really tested the exact time it takes to reach 50% from, say 5% but from my calculations it's about 30-40 minutes, also keep in mind that QC charges quickly the lower the battery juice is, so if the juice increases than the charging power will decrease and when you are @ 90% it will not charge with the same speed as when you were @ 5% because mA is much lower not to the maximum it can deliver.
    I also have an external battery from aukey with QC 3.0 and it charges my phone in the same amount of time it gets charged from the QC 2.0 wall charger.
    06-08-17 06:03 AM
    I don't know if to call you on your bs or not. My Priv charges from 5% to 100% in 1 h and 10-15 minutes (using an aukey QC 2.0), I never really tested the exact time it takes to reach 50% from, say 5% but from my calculations it's about 30-40 minutes, also keep in mind that QC charges quickly the lower the battery juice is, so if the juice increases than the charging power will decrease and when you are @ 90% it will not charge with the same speed as when you were @ 5% because mA is much lower not to the maximum it can deliver.
    I also have an external battery from aukey with QC 3.0 and it charges my phone in the same amount of time it gets charged from the QC 2.0 wall charger.
    Are you confused? We're talking about the BlackBerry KEYone. Not your Priv. I don't care if your Priv can do jumping jack's, it doesn't have anything to do with the topic at hand.

The BlackBerry KEYone and BlackBerry Priv have different sized batteries. I've tested it many, many times now and my BlackBerry KEYone has NEVER charged faster than 1% per minute. How many times have you charged a BlackBerry KEYone and timed it? Here's Screen shots from one of the many tests.

Factory charger was used:

Clarifying the Charge Options-_20170608_073559.jpg

Do you even own a KEYone?

But you know, you don't have to take my word for it. Other people here have also timed charging their BlackBerry KEYone.

Boost mode from 4 pm, 10% to 100% at 5:55.
    90% in an hour and 55 minutes is no where near more than 1% per minute.
    06-08-17 06:44 AM
    90% in an hour and 55 minutes is no where near more than 1% per minute.
    For the record I think boost mode isn't really working after 50% even if you re-enable it (it automatically switches to normal charging) like I did. It went from 10-50% at 4:41.
    06-08-17 07:06 AM
    For the record I think boost mode isn't really working after 50% even if you re-enable it (it automatically switches to normal charging) like I did. It went from 10-50% at 4:41.
    Good to know. Perhaps they disable boost mode after 50% to prevent wear and tear on the battery when it really isn't required. At 50%, the KEYone has a lot of life left in it.
    06-08-17 07:10 AM

Maybe the 36 min claim is with the phone off?
    06-08-17 07:20 AM
    Soooo....with me using the stock charger, it's safe to say that charging from about 10% to 100% in about eight hours is too long.

Seriously...this is how long it took last night.
    Johberry likes this.
    06-08-17 07:40 AM
    Soooo....with me using the stock charger, it's safe to say that charging from about 10% to 100% in about eight hours is too long.

Yike! We're you using the device while it was plugged in? Even in cases like that I don't see how it could be possible for the battery to charge that slowly.

If it were me, I'd try a different electrical outlet to see if anything changes. If it doesn't, you've definitely got something wrong. Either in the charger or the phone itself.

How hot did the phone get while plugged in?
    06-08-17 07:49 AM

I doubt it's the wall outlet unless the connection is really loose and its making intermittent contact. Possible the new charger is faulty. Try a different charger if you have one.
    06-08-17 08:35 AM
    I doubt it's the wall outlet unless the connection is really loose and its making intermittent contact. Possible the new charger is faulty. Try a different charger if you have one.
    I was using the stock charger plugged into a surge power cord, the same one I've used for many years. The Passport charged no problem but the K1 didn't. In fact I was shocked that after a couple hours it was still charging.

The device was cold. It was on and I wasn't using it.

It may have been a fluke but when I wake up at 3 am and it's still charging, it looks suspicious.
    06-08-17 09:51 AM
41 12