11-18-16 09:25 AM
26 12
tools
    The No Service issue is something that has affected other carrier-locked Privs, not just those on AT&T. Is it not possible that Verizon found this bug early on? And if so, why is the onus on Verizon to fix it? To add, how long did it take BlackBerry to even address the issue let alone offer a solution? BlackBerry is the one who laid off a ton of devs, and did so at time when they were transitioning to Android. And is not BlackBerry's version of Marshmallow still in beta?

As to your other comment; you wrote that software and as such are intimately familiar with it both inside and out. That's not a fair comparison.

I am not making excuses for Verizon, btw. I, too, don't really care for them. But, I'm also not caring for BlackBerry anymore, either, because to me it seems obvious they are not on the ball, here, either.
    I'm not saying that BB doesn't have a role in this debacle, but if Verizon was truly testing properly they would come back with a report like:
    We're seeing dropped connections under the following situation... blah blah blah. What probably happened is the report simply said "We're seeing dropped connections" leaving BB to figure it out. I personally believe that Verizon doesn't know how to do proper QA testing. Their "rigorous" testing is more like a room full of black box testing monkeys. Like I said, I consulted with AT&T's QA department and helped them put together a plan that would accomplish both go/no-go and diagnostic testing. I did the same for my own company. This is called self-preservation. As the chief software architect, I don't have time to waste when something doesn't work right. New features are fully specified, the developers and testers work off of that spec to independently verify functionality. Our automated regression suite consists of 10000s of directed tests. The complete suite takes 15 hours to run and we do it daily on several Mac, Linux, Unix, and Window machines. If something fails, a report is created that describes the failure and the steps to reproduce it. The developer can run the small (few minutes to run) test with the problem to get further information. We're well above 6 sigma quality.

There should always be a QA PLAN in place when testing the devices. The plan should be constructed so that, when a failure occurs, they can describe the exact conditions under which the device fails. Verizon probably had such a plan in the past, but then added ad-hoc testing to cover new capabilities. This is a slippery slope.

The only reason I pin this on Verizon is that their responses to any question (no matter how specific it was) was met by a statement about how rigorous they test devices. They wouldn't even tell me if they were working on resolving our issue or not (I didn't even ask for a time-frame, only that they acknowledged that there was a problem). In many of our emails it didn't even look like they understood what was asked. In phone conversations, they would say anything,no matter how obviously wrong it was and then follow it up with an email that had no relationship to our discussion. Verizon's inability to to answer direct questions without misdirection and fabrication is the reason that my company is ending our 12 year relationship this week. I wouldn't treat our worst customer like Verizon treated us.
    Uzi likes this.
    11-18-16 09:25 AM
26 12