I've owned a few unlocked phones on Verizon's network and since the phones have all the bands to run on their network, just having Verizon's blessing may just be enough to get it on the network. Now with the BYOD (devices with the correct bands, of course), VZW whitelists those phones to work. Some phones I have used: Nexus 6, Moto G4 and G5 to name a few.

Now, it is just curious that VZW has not outright said the KeyOne will run on their network but Blackberry Mobile. I am going on the limb here to say, the CDMA delay is to get the necessary ok or testing from Big Red to run on their network officially.
    Great point, would also explain why we are receiving zero news on the delay. Could be information that is not allowed to be shared while in testing.
    06-07-17 02:40 PM

Now, it is just curious that VZW has not outright said the KeyOne will run on their network but Blackberry Mobile.
    Not sure if I"m reading this right but if you mean that it was BlackBerry Mobile who said it will not run on Verizon network, that's is not the case. In fact, they actually specify Verizon in their press release.
    06-07-17 02:49 PM
    This is why you need an enterprise level sales force going after the companies that are looking for devices. Most companies nowadays give their employees a choice of 2 or 3 devices, I would call it a win if in the near future the KEYone was one of those choices.
    Yes, but unless the buyer is confident that a significant number of employees will want the device, he or she is unlikely to buy it. No one wants unhappy employees if it's avoidable.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    06-07-17 02:58 PM
    Not sure if I"m reading this right but if you mean that it was BlackBerry Mobile who said it will not run on Verizon network, that's is not the case. In fact, they actually specify Verizon in their press release.
    What I meant was Verizon did not say the K1 will run on their network but it was BBM that said they will.

https://www.blackberrymobile.com/us/press/

"CDMA variant optimized for Verizon network support – with the CDMA variant available via Amazon at launch."

I would think VZW would make a joint release to say they are partnering with so and so to run an unlocked phone on their network. Something similar happened to the Nextbit Robin phone where they said their unlocked phone would run on VZW and sold a bunch of phones via Kickstarter. They later recanted the phone after VZW got hold that their phone was not tested to run on the network even thought they built the phone with the necessary bands. I just hope BBM did the due diligence and got all their VZW ducks in a row and we are just waiting for the green light to release it. This is obviously pure speculation but being a VZW customer for over 15 years teach me a thing or two about the company.
    06-07-17 03:00 PM
    Yes, but unless the buyer is confident that a significant number of employees will want the device, he or she is unlikely to buy it. No one wants unhappy employees if it's avoidable.

Agreed a happy employee is much better than an unhappy one which is why if the KEYone was a choice of 2 or 3 devices that would be a win. Better yet if the employee got to choose between an iPhone and a KEYone (IOS or Android) that would be cool.

Could be a sales strategy for the rep selling devices to push for a device that will allow it's employees all the benefits and apps available on android without the auto correct and misspelled word nightmare a touchscreen phone brings to a corporate environment.
    06-07-17 03:27 PM
    I've owned a few unlocked phones on Verizon's network and since the phones have all the bands to run on their network, just having Verizon's blessing may just be enough to get it on the network. Now with the BYOD (devices with the correct bands, of course), VZW whitelists those phones to work. Some phones I have used: Nexus 6, Moto G4 and G5 to name a few.

Now, it is just curious that VZW has not outright said the KeyOne will run on their network but Blackberry Mobile. I am going on the limb here to say, the CDMA delay is to get the necessary ok or testing from Big Red to run on their network officially.
    BB Mobile has confirmed the CDMA will work on Verizon, and I (and some others) confirmed with VZW reps weeks ago that it would work on Verizon. The delay is because the CDMA model does not exist. TCL either hasn't produced it, or made a batch full of defects and recalled them before they reached Amazon.
    06-07-17 03:46 PM
    BB Mobile has confirmed the CDMA will work on Verizon, and I (and some others) confirmed with VZW reps weeks ago that it would work on Verizon. The delay is because the CDMA model does not exist. TCL either hasn't produced it, or made a batch full of defects and recalled them before they reached Amazon.
    Or option 3, Verizon threatened at the 11th hour to blacklist the devices unless they agree to some terms that are currently being negotiated.

DTEK60 / Z30
    06-07-17 03:51 PM
    Or option 3, Verizon threatened at the 11th hour to blacklist the devices unless they agree to some terms that are currently being negotiated.

DTEK60 / Z30
    That sounds more likely to me, especially with Sprint reportedly on board already. Verizon would be facing the prospect of BlackBerry fans leaving them for both GSM carriers and Sprint.

While it's true that BlackBerry fans are a small market segment, considering the average annual spend of each account, no one wants to give up even a few thousand subscribers if they can help it, and it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that somewhere between 100K and 500K Verizon subs might at least consider the KEYone.

kbz1960 likes this.
    06-07-17 04:06 PM

DTEK60 / Z30
    TCL said on 5/30 that CDMA would be available 5/31 at Amazon. But Amazon never had the devices in their warehouse and numerous reps confirmed they have 0. So it's not like the devices are sitting in Amazon warehouses waiting for VZW to negotiate.
    06-07-17 04:18 PM
    TCL said on 5/30 that CDMA would be available 5/31 at Amazon. But Amazon never had the devices in their warehouse and numerous reps confirmed they have 0. So it's not like the devices are sitting in Amazon warehouses waiting for VZW to negotiate.
    The 5/30 statement is inconsistent with ANY scenario - not just the Verizon thought.

Although that may just be a case of marketing being the last to know.
    06-07-17 04:26 PM
    The misinformation came when BBM and BlackBerry Mobile site itself - Buy Now section clearly states Purchase CDMA click here. GSM click here.

Decent thing to do would be to write a note or state that CDMA models are not yet available and not deceive reviewers and other tech sites who took the their word and advertised both devices availability on the 31st.

There has been 0 communication like ALWAYS and 0 answers by those who were promoting this to the max. Either the know and just can't say or they are not permitted to say which is worse I do not know.

Circa RIM.
    06-07-17 04:29 PM
    The 5/30 statement is inconsistent with ANY scenario - not just the Verizon thought.

Although that may just be a case of marketing being the last to know.
    Or more likely they knew it was unavailable but didn't want to tell people it was delayed again, so they tried to act like it just sold out. Didn't work.
    06-07-17 04:32 PM
    Or more likely they knew it was unavailable but didn't want to tell people it was delayed again, so they tried to act like it just sold out. Didn't work.
    That too is one of several possibilities.
    06-07-17 04:35 PM
    They should of let RIM be sold to Samsung or Lenovo at this point - we would have had wonderful devices. BB10 is dead anyway. Now we have BB design with pay as you go construction and components.
    06-07-17 04:37 PM
    They should of let RIM be sold to Samsung or Lenovo at this point.
    Who is "they"?

The company went up for sale in 2013 after the BB10 debacle, and no one bit.

Now that they have shed the boat anchor that was the device business, and have created a potentially high-growth, high-margin security software portfolio, there has been speculation that they are now actually a viable takeover candidate. The BlackBerry Android licencing business by itself is a very small piece of the overall pie.
    Last edited by conite; 06-07-17 at 05:22 PM.
    06-07-17 04:49 PM
    They should of let RIM be sold to Samsung or Lenovo at this point - we would have had wonderful devices. BB10 is dead anyway. Now we have BB design with pay as you go construction and components.
    Licensing deal was given to the lowest bidder...which may have also been the only bidder. TCL is a low quality company.

There was some talk of Samsung + BB collaboration...I wonder if Samsung was interested in the licensing deal.
    06-07-17 05:12 PM
    Licensing deal was given to the lowest bidder...
    Are you suggesting that if there were in fact more than one interested party, they gave it to the lowest bidder? Really?

What makes you think TCL makes poor products? The DTEKs were well built, and the Alcatel and TCL branded devices get more than decent reviews.

Here is the 4S review from CNET:
    06-07-17 05:26 PM
    Who is "they"?

The company went up for sale in 2013 after the BB10 debacle, and no one bit.

Now that they have shed the boat anchor that was the device business, and have created a potentially high-growth, high-margin security software portfolio, there has been speculation that they are now actually a viable takeover candidate. The BlackBerry Android licencing business by itself is a very small piece of the overall pie.
    Someone correct me if im wrong, but did Canada or its Province not blocked/objection of the sale or talk thereof.

Bidders wanted or had no guarantee of keeping staff or supporting infrastructure in canada. Which in reality was a smart business idea not too.

I dont belive there were no bidders. I strongly feel they were given the price of what is was worth which it was as others with intelligent technical staff foresaw. Rim gambled.
    06-07-17 05:27 PM
    Licensing deal was given to the lowest bidder...which may have also been the only bidder. TCL is a low quality company.

There was some talk of Samsung + BB collaboration...I wonder if Samsung was interested in the licensing deal.
    TCL for your information is the third largest producer of TV's worldwide manufacturing for other brands among other consumer electronic goods. BlackBerry sourced who could be their partners.
    Can you please inform us all where did you get the information license agreement went to lowest bidder? And also support your statement TCL is a low quality company?

Posted via CB10
    06-07-17 05:29 PM
    Someone correct me if im wrong, but did Canada or its Province not blocked/objection of the sale or talk thereof.

Bidders wanted or had no guarantee of keeping staff or supporting infrastructure in canada. Which in reality was a smart business idea not too.

I dont belive there were no bidders. I strongly feel they were given the price of what is was worth which it was as others with intelligent technical staff foresaw. Rim gambled.
    No sale was ever blocked. No discussion ever got near far enough to even consider.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    06-07-17 05:30 PM

Why license? They could have bought out BlackBerry with the loose money in the sofa cushions of the couch in the executive bathrooms...
    newcollector likes this.
    06-07-17 05:31 PM
    No sale was ever blocked. No discussion ever got near far enough to even consider.
    Do you know this because you worked at bb and heard internal chatter, were part of exec group or you read that in a newspaper?
    06-07-17 05:35 PM
    Do you know this because you worked at bb and heard internal chatter, were part of exec group or you read that in a newspaper?
    I admit I get most of my news from the newspaper, yes. I was not on the board of BlackBerry at the time, no.

06-07-17 05:37 PM

I was talking to a Bell store Rep today. She said that sales were decent but only to current owners of a BlackBerry phone. She said a switch from another brand was extremely rare.

She thought that if I wanted a BlackBerry, I had better not wait.
    06-07-17 05:41 PM
    Are you suggesting that if there were in fact more than one interested party, they gave it to the lowest bidder? Really? What makes you think TCL makes poor products? The DTEKs were well built, and the Alcatel and TCL branded devices get more than decent reviews.
    TCL for your information is the third largest producer of TV's worldwide manufacturing for other brands among other consumer electronic goods. BlackBerry sourced who could be their partners. Can you please inform us all where did you get the information license agreement went to lowest bidder? And also support your statement TCL is a low quality company? Posted via CB10
    Any company that tells flagrant lies to its consumers (CDMA) and is partially owned by the Chinese government is a low quality company.
    06-07-17 05:42 PM
311 ... 7891011 ...