My screen lifted a month ago (the phone from June batch) and finally popped out after 1 foot drop on a carpet. As a result, the ribbon cable connecting capacitive buttons got disconnected. The main cable is still working, so the screen is ok, but no buttons. I have to use pie control to do their functions.
    Question: was anyone with similar issue able to connect that little cable back? How? I do not see any latch or tab that can hold the cable connected.

In my opinion the way this cable is routed inside is just wrong: it is bent and under constant stress. I think this causes all capacitive button related problems.
    Attached Thumbnails Capacitive buttons cable popped out-img_20180203_210412.jpg  
    02-24-18 08:32 AM
    My screen lifted a month ago (the phone from June batch) and finally popped out after 1 foot drop on a carpet. As a result, the ribbon cable connecting capacitive buttons got disconnected. The main cable is still working, so the screen is ok, but no buttons. I have to use pie control to do their functions.
    Question: was anyone with similar issue able to connect that little cable back? How? I do not see any latch or tab that can hold the cable connected.

In my opinion the way this cable is routed inside is just wrong: it is bent and under constant stress. I think this causes all capacitive button related problems.
    Just whip by a phone shop and ask them to reconnect it. A couple of pieces of 2-sided tape will fix the screen too.
    02-24-18 08:48 AM
    the phone from June batch
    Pls, do you know what exact date was your phone manufactured? Thx
    02-24-18 08:58 AM
    June batch phones were recalled from stores and repaired before being sold again (it's why nobody could find a KeyONE through July).

Don't get scared if you bought your phone after July. There's nothing wrong with it.
    sorgo likes this.
    02-24-18 12:29 PM
    It's an easy fix, as long as you don't have shaky hands.

The gold tab at the end of the cable attached to the screen on the left is inserted into the white plug shown just under the gold tab in the pic with the gold carpet directing you to the slot.

Use some tweezers and cautiously insert the tab into the white slot. The cable needs to be inserted first before the (top of the) screen is into the top groove. Cable first, then flip screen laying flat with board, then insert top edge of screen into the top groove.

Buy double sided adhesive tape for smartphone, (size) Keyone. Stick it between screen and phone.

Fixed.
    02-24-18 04:53 PM
    wentouch, have you actually done it or this is your guess?
    I zoomed in cable and connector. Connector has to be opened somehow before cable can be fully inserted. Usually there is a moving part on the connector, which lifts up or slides away to make room for cable and then lock back on.

As you can see I managed to break off plastic bits from the connector, but could not open it. The cable does not go in.
    Attached Thumbnails Capacitive buttons cable popped out-cable1.png  
    wentouch likes this.
    02-24-18 07:10 PM
    02-25-18 07:05 PM
    Lol almost every time there is a hardware issue reported here, it turns out to be a May or June built K1. Good thing they got their **** together shortly after.
    02-27-18 06:22 AM
    Weird. I replied to this, but I guess it didn't post.

I agree with your train of thought and would also have initially thought it would need to be inserted by way of either: 1) opening the connector cover and clipping the cable when its inserted, or 2) simply attaching it either by plug n play or buttons down.

Most newer connectors have moved to (2) with break off cable and connectors which you just plug in or snap over top.

From the picture, the cable looks to no be inserted from right side with the 12+2 pins instead of the left which is soldered to the board.

I think you're trying the wrong way. I haven't done any repairs withe the Keyone but done quite a few repairs.

Good luck. If you're unsure, just send it in. Only Takes a couple of days. Careful and trust your judgment.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-01-18 03:47 PM