Just checking if any Canadians bought a carrier locked keyone, or if you are waiting for the factory unlocked.

For myself, I am with Bell but do not get any cheaper phones since I have a grandfathered plan that I don't want to get rid of

So I am waiting for a BlackBerry factory unlocked version to be available.

I would rather wait an extra month and ensure I get the updates that BlackBerry pushes rather than have to wait for my carrier to eventually push them out.

I may just buy in the USA when they get stock, I live close.

What are your thoughts?
    qwerty4ever likes this.
    05-31-17 03:07 PM
    Think that's a good plan..... unlocked is the way to go.
    05-31-17 03:25 PM
    My thoughts exactly. I have checked at two different locations today and neither one had a K¹ available. Both said maybe in two weeks. They are willing to sell me a phone outright with no contract implications .but will charge me an additional $50 to unlock the phone. I can wait
    05-31-17 03:34 PM
    I'm in Canada and already have an unlocked KEYone. Bought it from Clove UK and have been enjoying it for over a week already. Great company to buy from. I highly recommend them!
    kylecigs likes this.
    05-31-17 04:01 PM
    I bought a carrier-locked BlackBerry KEYone today, May 31st, for only CAD149.00 plus tax on a 2-year contract. According to the invoice I saved over CAD500.00. A bonus CAD50.00 discount was a pleasant surprise too.
    05-31-17 04:51 PM
    Bought one at Rogers today. $199 on contract so I could keep my average plan (didn't want to migrate to the premium plus tab and pay $10 more/month for half the data)
    05-31-17 05:04 PM
    My thoughts exactly. I have checked at two different locations today and neither one had a K¹ available. Both said maybe in two weeks. They are willing to sell me a phone outright with no contract implications .but will charge me an additional $50 to unlock the phone. I can wait
    In which case you would still pay 729 total but the phone would network unlocked but carrier locked, where you'd be dependent on the carrier for updates.

I'll wait for factory unlocked.
    05-31-17 05:09 PM
    In which case you would still pay 729 total but the phone would network unlocked but carrier locked, where you'd be dependent on the carrier for updates.

I'll wait for factory unlocked.
    Yeah I pay $52 a month, so I figure $30 a month would be the added cost of buying unlocked and that plan is still cheaper than currently offered.

The key is a to always sell your previous phone while it still has value.

Man, back in the day, I used to get a upgrade every 12 months, those were the days!
    05-31-17 05:29 PM
    Bought my Mercury (yes, I said Mercury) outright from Bell this morning. I've got a good plan with them from before.
    Paul Sullivan1 likes this.
    05-31-17 05:34 PM
    So I had to go to a meeting this morning and couldn't line up at my local Bell outlet in the mall. After work I went in and lo and behold they are sold out. Put me on a list. They only got 9 KeyOne's in their shipment and sold out just after opening. Manager said they were lined up when he opened the store at 10 AM. So do I order online ? The demo unit in the store is sweet but couldn't get a good feel because it was tethered to the desk with a strong cable retractor that was trying to pull it out of my hands all the while . REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
    05-31-17 05:38 PM
    Bought mine through bell this morning (Ontario gta). Had it pre-ordered and paid 250 on a two year plan
    05-31-17 05:38 PM
    I just grabbed a Bell KeyOne, paid in full with a month to month, walked out and slammed my Virgin card in and low and behold it works... these devices aren't locked lol

Posted via CB10
    05-31-17 06:19 PM
    I just grabbed a Bell KeyOne, paid in full with a month to month, walked out and slammed my Virgin card in and low and behold it works... these devices aren't locked lol

Posted via CB10
    They're locked but Virgin = Bell and Bell = Virgin. Same company. Try throwing in a Rogers sim.
    curtxxx likes this.
    05-31-17 06:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    Seriously? Dam that's cool. I am with Freedom bought the bell k1 outright month to month and was going to cancel after one day and then get my unlokc key from my boy

Waiting to buy my K1
    05-31-17 06:42 PM
    Seriously? Dam that's cool. I am with Freedom bought the bell k1 outright month to month and was going to cancel after one day and then get my unlokc key from my boy

Waiting to buy my K1
    I poped in my Telus Sim. It didn't work in my Rogers unit.

BB 10 will outlast Android, just you wait! Stage 1: Denial.
    Bee Gee and sirk25 like this.
    05-31-17 07:10 PM
    My intention was to buy an unlocked device but when that wasn't an option I preordered one at full price however when it became apparent I want going to receive the phone today I went to the Rogers store and was lucky to get one the Rep told me I was eligible for $0 for two years I jumped at it. So not only was the price great, I can unlock it in 90 days for $50 and I've falling in love again with the PKB
    05-31-17 07:12 PM
    My intention was to buy an unlocked device but when that wasn't an option I preordered one at full price however when it became apparent I want going to receive the phone today I went to the Rogers store and was lucky to get one the Rep told me I was eligible for $0 for two years I jumped at it. So not only was the price great, I can unlock it in 90 days for $50 and I've falling in love again with the PKB
    You can unlock it through 3rd party for half the price and not need to wait 90 days
    curtxxx likes this.
    05-31-17 07:14 PM
    You can unlock it through 3rd party for half the price and not need to wait 90 days
    I've seen that option don't know how reliable it is
    05-31-17 07:17 PM
    Done it four times with cellunlocker.net all good

Waiting to buy my K1
    TheDutch20 likes this.
    05-31-17 07:19 PM
    Or was it cellunlocked.net?

Waiting to buy my K1
    05-31-17 07:19 PM
    There is always money back , pay through PayPal to dispute , then you have your cc insurance to back you.

Double the protection , this is how I always unlocked my phones
    05-31-17 07:23 PM
    Purchased mine from Bell store today.
    05-31-17 07:24 PM
    I've unlocked several phones with Canada GSM and never had a problem.
    05-31-17 07:26 PM
    I have used blackberrycodesource.com and no issues. I have unlocked over 15 devices. Sometimes there can be a delay of a day or so to get the code but they have always come through
    05-31-17 07:33 PM
    Thanks everyone
    05-31-17 07:39 PM
56 123