Hi all,

according to lack of security updates for KeyOne (mine is BBB100-2 bought on Amazon.de, still in 2-years warranty and still on ABT975), lack of further updates (Pie, 10,...) and rumours about BB/TCL relations, I´d like to suggest some kind of petition to BlackBerry about bootloader unlocking, so that we can install alternative ROM´s.

I am pretty sure that many of alternative OS developers will adapt their OS for KeyOne (possibly for Key2 too).

This should be made via some official BB app (Xiaomi has similar) after some kind of verification (e.g. IMEI) and taking risk of loosing warranty from BB (if there is some), but it will be worth it.

Do you think this will be possible in near future?
    Sbatushe likes this.
    09-10-19 03:58 AM
    Nope!
    John Albert likes this.
    09-10-19 04:11 AM
    Extremely unlikely, since locking the bootloader is one of BB's claimed security advantages, as is not allowing unsigned code (i.e. any third party ROM).
    09-10-19 04:34 AM
    These all things about security etc. are fine, but how long it will last secure without security patches?

And for those who bought BB only due to HW keyboard it is very limiting. I think option for bootloader unlocking, only for customers who want it, will be big plus.
    Sbatushe likes this.
    09-10-19 05:26 AM
    These all things about security etc. are fine, but how long it will last secure without security patches?

And for those who bought BB only due to HW keyboard it is very limiting. I think option for bootloader unlocking, only for customers who want it, will be big plus.
    That's a question for BB and/or TCL; one could ask them at the same time if being two major versions behind at any given time is also part of their security plan.
    09-10-19 05:55 AM
    From a business liability standpoint, your preference would go against the contractual obligations created by the licensing agreements. Since those licensing agreements have accounts receivable due to BB, nothing will be done from the perspective of BB to violate. To change terms of the licensing agreements, would require lots of money to pay off debts and new single licensee asking BB to unlock. Why? It will sit in court for a long time as is.
    09-10-19 07:04 AM
    It would require a lot more money and time to undo the security architecture of the phone than to simply update it, and it would be completely off brand for BlackBerry which is now an enterprise information security company.

It's not gonna happen.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-10-19 09:27 AM
    We can ask.... OP I nominate you to setup a "change.org" petition.

But I don't expect it will go much differently than the one for the PlayBook or BB10.... And even if they did unlock it, will anyone bother to create a custom ROM that will work with that hardware set?
    09-10-19 09:42 AM
    We can ask.... OP I nominate you to setup a "change.org" petition.

But I don't expect it will go much differently than the one for the PlayBook or BB10.... And even if they did unlock it, will anyone bother to create a custom ROM that will work with that hardware set?
    petitions... they haunt my soul...

https://www.change.org/search?q=blackberry
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    09-10-19 09:46 AM
    First time I have seen these BlackBerry change.org petitions.
    Last edited by Sigewif; 09-10-19 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Clarification since quote didn't end up copying.
    09-10-19 11:08 AM

What is really telling is how many (or not so many) have signed all those various petitions.
    09-10-19 11:34 AM

Haha I love how the top one is for a shade of lipstick called BlackBerry.
    09-10-19 11:59 AM
    Do you think this will be possible in near future?
    You can ask. But the chances of it happening are slim to none.
    09-10-19 02:43 PM
    Haha I love how the top one is for a shade of lipstick called BlackBerry.
    BlackBerry is one of my news feeds.... these days it usually about PIES, WINE or BERRIES and not the company with that name.
    dwatts26726 likes this.
    09-10-19 03:55 PM
    I asked Blackberry to allow me to root my phone once a long time ago and they sent a couple of goons to my house and broke my kneecaps.
    G_Unit MVP likes this.
    09-10-19 05:31 PM
    BlackBerry is one of my news feeds.... these days it usually about PIES, WINE or BERRIES and not the company with that name.
    And Titans...
    09-10-19 05:32 PM
    There's enough #BlackBerry #Android owners out there, now some 10 million, most of whom would love to have the boot loader restriction removed even if it means paying $30 a time BlackBerry could make a a mint of money on this
    09-11-19 02:03 PM
    There's enough #BlackBerry #Android owners out there, now some 10 million, most of whom would love to have the boot loader restriction removed even if it means paying $30 a time BlackBerry could make a a mint of money on this
    I agree, but it should be for free, because many of KeyOne are still in warranty and there is no support at all.
    09-12-19 12:43 PM
    10 million?! Maybe 1 million.
    09-12-19 01:12 PM
    I agree, but it should be for free, because many of KeyOne are still in warranty and there is no support at all.
    Agreed it should be free for all those within the 2 year warranty where support services have been discontinued
    09-12-19 01:12 PM
    Agreed it should be free for all those within the 2 year warranty where support services have been discontinued
    KEYᵒⁿᵉ got the 24 months of updates that were promised.
    09-12-19 01:14 PM
    10 million?! Maybe 1 million.
    Much closer to 10 million. The take up off BBM was never that great. Even on pure BlackBerry
    09-12-19 01:14 PM
    Much closer to 10 million. The take up off BBM was never that great. Even on pure BlackBerry
    Dude, total sales of all BlackBerry Android devices going back to the Priv were only around 2.5 million.
    09-12-19 01:15 PM
    KEYᵒⁿᵉ got the 24 months of updates that were promised.
    Well, that means, at least for me, 2 years from last sold piece of KeyOne! And those times did not come yet. Mine has warranty till April 2020 and last official security patch is from April 2019.

This company is not fullfilling their promises. They even lie on device box, where "OS: latest Android" is written. Now they are 2 Android versions behind.
    If they don´t have money for their own developers, they should donate some money to any of xda developers forums OS developer crew (e.g. 100 000 USD + few devices for developers) and there will be always latest OS with updates following Google updates within few days (not weeks/months like we have seen by BlackBerry).
    09-13-19 08:54 AM
    Well, that means, at least for me, 2 years from last sold piece of KeyOne! And those times did not come yet. Mine has warranty till April 2020 and last official security patch is from April 2019.

This company is not fullfilling their promises. They even lie on device box, where "OS: latest Android" is written. Now they are 2 Android versions behind.
    If they don´t have money for their own developers, they should donate some money to any of xda developers forums OS developer crew (e.g. 100 000 USD + few devices for developers) and there will be always latest OS with updates following Google updates within few days (not weeks/months like we have seen by BlackBerry).
    That's not how ANY company works. Clock starts ticking on launch day.
    09-13-19 08:55 AM
40 12