They used to, now it has to be inserted and it then sits on "authorizing" and when you have finally become a grandfather, it says to remove the card.
    I don't quite understand why it is so slow in the US compared to other countries. Having said that, I've now moved completely to tap and pay because it's so common. It now pretty common for me never to get my wallet out because paying by my phone means I have a better track over time of what I am spending on what...
    11-19-16 09:22 AM
    Not sure about anywhere else, but here in the USA, they have to transition to chip for all credit transactions by a certain time, no more mag strip, and those chip transactions take forever and a day while using your phone is as quick as tapping the nfc and you're done. With the transition to chip, paying with the phone has become more convenient in my opinion.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    In Canada, most of the big banks have moved to the tap-and-pay system which is exactly the same as what it would be with a phone instead. Same speed, same security.

I personally don't have a card that supports that technology. Something about it just seems too easy. I like being able to at least have a pin number for security and the other methods, while faster, don't have this. For some things, I am all about efficiency. If that extra couple of seconds is actually another layer of security, I'd rather keep them as is - especially for the access to my money.

After typing all of this, I suppose I do see an advantage to the mobile payments in that one could lock their phone, therefore preventing access from others should your phone get lost or stolen.

Either way, I'm in no rush to be able to use my phone to pay for things. Until it works everywhere, I don't see the point. Can you use a phone to withdraw money from an ATM? Doubtful. For as long as it's necessary to carry both, I'm going to keep using the method that I know will be accepted first.
    11-19-16 11:20 AM
    I don't quite understand why it is so slow in the US compared to other countries. Having said that, I've now moved completely to tap and pay because it's so common. It now pretty common for me never to get my wallet out because paying by my phone means I have a better track over time of what I am spending on what...
    Only the insert one is slow, the tap to pay and nfc pay and even using the magstrip are all fast. But two of those are going away and soon it would be only the insert one and nfc pay...

Plazmic Flame likes this.
    11-19-16 01:06 PM
    Tap to pay is as fast as phone. I use TTP frequently, the limit is set by either the vendor or the card reader, not sure - but there are diff limits at diff vendors.

The convenience of using my phone takes it one step further. I *always* have my phone with me. I don't always have the "right" card with me (debit/visa/mcard, I segregate payments for biz and record keeping), or any card for that matter.
    11-19-16 01:13 PM
    Tap to pay is as fast as phone. I use TTP frequently, the limit is set by either the vendor or the card reader, not sure - but there are diff limits at diff vendors.

The convenience of using my phone takes it one step further. I *always* have my phone with me. I don't always have the "right" card with me (debit/visa/mcard, I segregate payments for biz and record keeping), or any card for that matter.
    Well, that's the thing, it seems here they are doing away with tap to pay unfortunately...

11-19-16 01:47 PM
    Taking from what I read in the comments looks like making a 2 step security process where the BB suite or something secured the transaction for all available payments is simply the best option, if BlackBerry if attached to a particular payment service or creates a new one it may find a limit of places where it will be accepted, if instead consolidates all the services I think it may have a chance to be a catch.
    11-19-16 02:46 PM
    Can you use a phone to withdraw money from an ATM? Doubtful. For as long as it's necessary to carry both, I'm going to keep using the method that I know will be accepted first.
    Yes. At a Bank of America ATM. It uses NFC and acts as if you inserted you card. It'll be nice to get rid of some of these cards, soon, as they take up room in your wallet and is less of a hassle when they are lost.
    11-19-16 07:23 PM

In the UK there is no practical difference and the limit is a nationally agreed thing so common everywhere.
    11-20-16 11:35 AM
    Getting rid of tap to pay?? It's just rolling out everywhere. Where are you??

Posted via CB10
    11-21-16 12:06 AM
    Getting rid of tap to pay?? It's just rolling out everywhere. Where are you??

Posted via CB10
    Just rolling out? Tap to pay has been around for YEARS...

11-21-16 12:13 AM
    I pay for everything with credit card. I've been keeping an eye on the mobile payments scene but I'm not really convinced of its utility yet compared to a card.
    Yeah, I know. It's like everyone wants to use an electronic device weighing 150g at least when we can already use a piece of plastic weighing 5g. It's actually more convenient than using your phone. Maybe, continuing this ******** trend, we'll be using our toasters to pay for stuff in the future? SMH (repeatedly). Can anyone tell me what the benefit is? Seriously. Also, if someone nicks your card, no biggie, just call the bank. They say "ok we'll have a new one delivered". Get your phone nicked and it's areal PITA!

Posted via CB10
    12-04-16 04:27 PM
    My duvet is fire retardant.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-16 04:29 PM
    Yeah, I know. It's like everyone wants to use an electronic device weighing 150g at least when we can already use a piece of plastic weighing 5g. It's actually more convenient than using your phone. Maybe, continuing this ******** trend, we'll be using our toasters to pay for stuff in the future? SMH (repeatedly). Can anyone tell me what the benefit is? Seriously. Also, if someone nicks your card, no biggie, just call the bank. They say "ok we'll have a new one delivered". Get your phone nicked and it's areal PITA!

Posted via CB10
    My phone is easier to access than my credit card to be honest. I have my phone in a holster and if I need it, it is out in a matter of like a second (sedio clip holster, just bump the release latch and it practically falls out into your hand...). While for my card I have to reach into my back pocket, take out my wallet, open my wallet, and dig the tips of my fingers into the slot and try to pick the right card out of the bunch then I have to hold my wallet the entire time while waiting to finish the transaction before reversing that to put it away. I mean, it's not terrible, but honestly using the phone would be more convenient for me. Half of you have your phone in your hand all of the time anyway...

12-04-16 04:59 PM
    Yeah, I know. It's like everyone wants to use an electronic device weighing 150g at least when we can already use a piece of plastic weighing 5g. It's actually more convenient than using your phone....
    Which is in your hand more, your wallet or your smartphone? What do you use more frequently? How many credit cards and loyalty cards are you willing to carry in your wallet? What are women more likely to be walking around with in their hand if they have no pockets?

I'm sure cards will be around for a very long time, like cash and checks, however, that doesn't mean that people will be using them for most retail transactions. It does mean, though, that any smartphone that doesn't offer is not really viable.
    12-05-16 12:05 PM
    Doesn't BBM already have a feature to send money through PayPal? Wouldn't that collaboration be the one to continue as PayPal is only in the cloud and not at the store?
    12-05-16 12:11 PM
    Which is in your hand more, your wallet or your smartphone? What do you use more frequently? How many credit cards and loyalty cards are you willing to carry in your wallet? What are women more likely to be walking around with in their hand if they have no pockets?

I'm sure cards will be around for a very long time, like cash and checks, however, that doesn't mean that people will be using them for most retail transactions. It does mean, though, that any smartphone that doesn't offer is not really viable.
    Exactly.

12-05-16 12:25 PM
    Hope it would be like Samsung pay that support both newer and older credit card machines.
    12-05-16 12:56 PM
42 12