If BlackBerry was to venture into mobile payments "BlackBerry Pay"launched along side the Mercury and later also included in the DTEK line as an endeavor to widen it's Software portfolio, would it in any way help skyrocket Mercury sales?
    Basing on the fact that security and payments tend to rhyme in the same sentence and blackberry is good at one.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-16 12:59 AM
    Instead of developing from scratch, securing an already established payment system may be more efficient for BlackBerry.
    11-18-16 01:10 AM
    Instead of developing from scratch, securing an already established payment system may be more efficient for BlackBerry.
    Like as part of the DTEK suite?

Posted via CB10
    11-18-16 01:24 AM
    Like as part of the DTEK suite?

Posted via CB10
    Yes. Plus they may make a deal with PayPal or Samsung Pay or whatever and secure their system. Briefly, instead of BlackBerry Pay, Samsung Pay secured by BlackBerry seems more likely.
    11-18-16 01:28 AM
    If BlackBerry was to venture into mobile payments "BlackBerry Pay"launched along side the Mercury and later also included in the DTEK line as an endeavor to widen it's Software portfolio, would it in any way help skyrocket Mercury sales?
    Basing on the fact that security and payments tend to rhyme in the same sentence and blackberry is good at one.

Posted via CB10
    Sooooooo it's android, hence Google Pay is supported by default...

Posted via CB10
    11-18-16 10:02 AM
    Sooooooo it's android, hence Google Pay is supported by default...

Posted via CB10
    Won't be surprised!

Posted via CB10
    11-18-16 10:27 AM
    Even IF BlackBerry launch BlackBerry pay , BlackBerry 10 won't be supported...
    11-18-16 10:46 AM
    Wasn't something like that available with BBOS7?

Posted from PassportSQW100-1/10.3.3.746
    11-18-16 11:08 AM
    I ain't paying with my phone for crap, cash when I can or resort to debit
    11-18-16 11:21 AM
    I ain't paying with my phone for crap, cash when I can or resort to debit
    Why would you be paying for c_ _ p at all?

Posted via CB10
    11-18-16 11:55 AM
    Why would you be paying for c_ _ p at all?

Posted via CB10
    I pay for everything with credit card. I've been keeping an eye on the mobile payments scene but I'm not really convinced of its utility yet compared to a card.
    11-18-16 12:28 PM
    I pay for everything with credit card. I've been keeping an eye on the mobile payments scene but I'm not really convinced of its utility yet compared to a card.
    Yeah but you don't look "cool" if you take your wallet out to pay

booker1953 likes this.
    11-18-16 01:50 PM

That's paving the way to mark of the beast
    11-18-16 01:56 PM

Logical argument.

Actually, I'm not sure if there is any other advantage to it. Credit cards are pretty convenient as is. I really don't see them making any new shifts when it comes to mobile payments. Credit cards are about as "form meets function" as you can get. I'm not saying mobile payments won't continue to grow and there is a market there, but I don't see them ever replacing the existing systems in their entirety. Then again, I'm sure that I've been wrong before. :P
    11-18-16 01:56 PM
    BlackBerry is going to have a hard time creating their own payment system. The major mobile platforms are investing a lot of money in differentiating their devices with features like this.

As far as functionality goes, there are lot of people who don't like to carry wallets but always have a smartphone. Think of teenage girls or young women. ATMs now supports smartphone ID for cash withdrawals. It will never completely replace credit cards just as credit cards never replaced checks. However, when's the last time you ordered checks?
    11-18-16 02:14 PM
    Now that they are transitioning to using chip for the cards, nfc pay is actually faster than using the card...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    11-18-16 03:24 PM
    Logical argument.

Actually, I'm not sure if there is any other advantage to it. Credit cards are pretty convenient as is. I really don't see them making any new shifts when it comes to mobile payments. Credit cards are about as "form meets function" as you can get. I'm not saying mobile payments won't continue to grow and there is a market there, but I don't see them ever replacing the existing systems in their entirety. Then again, I'm sure that I've been wrong before. :P
    Not sure about anywhere else, but here in the USA, they have to transition to chip for all credit transactions by a certain time, no more mag strip, and those chip transactions take forever and a day while using your phone is as quick as tapping the nfc and you're done. With the transition to chip, paying with the phone has become more convenient in my opinion.

11-18-16 03:26 PM
    In Australia it's chip and pin, we still have the mag strip for use on old readers but no more signature accepted here. But we have tap and go with the card limited to 100 bucks
    11-18-16 05:29 PM
    Not sure about anywhere else, but here in the USA, they have to transition to chip for all credit transactions by a certain time, no more mag strip, and those chip transactions take forever and a day while using your phone is as quick as tapping the nfc and you're done. With the transition to chip, paying with the phone has become more convenient in my opinion.

So you're saying you guys don't even have the tap to pay in the USA? Which is basically the same as getting your phone out and tapping it, but with your card?

P.S. Chip transactions take around 2 seconds to process once it's sent in my store... Fiber optic Internet though

11-18-16 05:57 PM
    So you're saying you guys don't even have the tap to pay in the USA? Which is basically the same as getting your phone out and tapping it, but with your card?

P.S. Chip transactions take around 2 seconds to process once it's sent in my store... Fiber optic Internet though

They used to, now it has to be inserted and it then sits on "authorizing" and when you have finally become a grandfather, it says to remove the card. I don't know if it's the connection or what, but even if it was, the other methods let you put your card away or your phone away while it's authorizing, the chip method for whatever reason has to stay inserted, I have no idea why. So you're just standing there with your wallet out staring at the little screen waiting for it to say to remove the card. Makes me feel like I'm trying to end a phone call on an all-touch phone...

11-18-16 08:06 PM
    Apple Pay and Samsung Pay and Google Pay each took years to develop and roll out. It will be years more before they are rolled out in most countries. This is not a small undertaking.
    11-18-16 09:47 PM
    Apple Pay and Samsung Pay and Google Pay each took years to develop and roll out. It will be years more before they are rolled out in most countries. This is not a small undertaking.
    Now I see, even if it is fully developed in place, bringing partners like banks and merchants on board seems harder a task than convincing carriers to carry your devices.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-16 10:03 PM
    Lol. BlackBerry has no desire to create their own payment system. They want to be the ones to secure the already existing payment systems. Something they already do to a certain extent. Pipe dreams if you think BlackBerry is magically going to kick off their own system, it would be a complete waste of time and effort.
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    11-18-16 10:12 PM
    Now I see, even if it is fully developed in place, bringing partners like banks and merchants on board seems harder a task than convincing carriers to carry your devices.
    Yes, even getting banks or networks to return their call would be tough, especially since all BB's new phones can support Google Pay.

BB may have had a chance to make BB Pay many years ago, but window has long since closed.
    11-18-16 10:25 PM
    About as hard as convincing wireless carriers to sign on to be your dumb pipes. They want to participate in the value chain by intermediating the customer data just like banks and merchants do. Apple Pay signed on the banks by adopting their credit cards and left out the retailers by tokenizing the credit card numbers - the retailers don't get any of the customer info. That's why merchants are being somewhat slow to sign on. Restaurants like McDonalds don't really care that much who you are but WalMart cares a lot.

However, there are increasing numbers of consumers out there who are much more likely to have their smartphones with them than their wallets. Think of all those college kids who attach their student IDs to their keychains. As more merchants being accepting smartphone payments, the other will increasingly lose sales.
    11-19-16 07:59 AM
42 12