Since the KeyOne is my first device with a Type-C connector I was about to order some additional Type-C USB cables to have on hand and came across some interesting information. Not all Type-C USB cables meet the industry standards (no surprise there). I found info from Benson Leung who reviews USB Type-C components. His reviews were very helpful. In one of his 1 star reviews a very low quality USB cable (incorrect pin-out wiring from vendor) damaged his laptop and test equipment.

Here is a link for some more info on Quick Charge 3.0 specs.

There is also a different thread on sourcing spare QC3.0 wall chargers.
    portplayer and anon(10250369) like this.
    06-16-17 01:08 PM
    I just bought cables from the Crackberry Shop. Take a look.
    06-16-17 01:24 PM
    I haven't bought any new cables to be honest. I just ordered a cheap 10 pack of generic no-name USB-C to Micro USB adapters off ebay for $10 and they work perfectly. Albeit it doesn't take advantage of QuickCharge 3.0, but I don't need to charge it up quickly so I don't care. (plus, faster charging usually means it heats up the phone and that's bad for the battery. So the i prefer the slower charging)

The adapters work on my KEYone and they also work on my nephew's Galaxy S8!
    06-16-17 03:02 PM
    I tend to only get Benson-Approved cables.
    06-16-17 03:07 PM
    Just bought some Anker ones. They definitely do not seem cheap.
    Nels likes this.
    06-16-17 03:18 PM
    They gave decent quality cables!
    Nels likes this.
    06-16-17 03:22 PM
    Agree with the other on Anker cables. There battery packs are good to.
    06-16-17 09:51 PM
    Amazon pulled all non compliant cables I believe. Pretty sure any they sell are safe now.
    06-16-17 11:16 PM
    I use AudioQuest cables, if you want Quality go there.
    06-16-17 11:23 PM
    The variability in power delivery is a major reason I have not purchased a hub into which to connect my notebook with all USB-C ports. Reports of damaged system boards keep me hesitant. As for USB-C cables I prefer paying a bit more for higher quality cables rather than the lowest priced cables.
    Judyam likes this.
    06-16-17 11:28 PM
    That's one reason why I prefer to shop online, reviews. It if doesn't have 4.5/5 or better with like 1000+ reviews, I hesitate, lol.
    06-16-17 11:41 PM
    I generally buy Anker products and they seem solid.
    06-17-17 03:08 PM
    Amazon pulled all non compliant cables I believe. Pretty sure any they sell are safe now.
    Pretty sure you are correct. I generally recommend going with Anker or Aukey cables. Have used both and they are super high quality.
    06-17-17 04:48 PM
    I won't need to buy a ton of other cables for charging my device because the battery lasts forever. With my PRIV I had two chargers at home, one in my car and also at my office. Not going to need to do this with the battery being amazing on the KEYone.
    Last edited by tnewton3; 06-17-17 at 06:43 PM.
    Judyam likes this.
    06-17-17 06:32 PM
    Well I need more chargers for my new keyOne (with its different USB-C since it is different from all my other USB port cables/chargers on hand) because I will surely need one in each desk location and different rooms in home for convenience, and with only the one provided in the K1 box, I'm sure to misplace it or leave it in a hotel when traveling with my luck, son is the consensus for buying extra just to bite the bullet and pay the extra cost for Anker or Aukey or buy at high prices at shopBlackBerry.com, (rather than to do my typical bargain shopping) to look for lower-priced, 4-5 star rated cable that may be compatible or work right with my new KEYONE. So,Should -I just get extra charging cables at shopBlackberry or is it safe to get a lesser-priced but high quality compatible USB-C somewhere like Amazon or elsewhere?
    Chuck Finley69 likes this.
    06-20-17 05:07 PM
    Not true. There are dozens if not hundreds of new listings every day for Chinese counterfeit cables.
    06-21-17 01:32 AM
    I haven't bought any new cables to be honest. I just ordered a cheap 10 pack of generic no-name USB-C to Micro USB adapters off ebay for $10 and they work perfectly. Albeit it doesn't take advantage of QuickCharge 3.0, but I don't need to charge it up quickly so I don't care. (plus, faster charging usually means it heats up the phone and that's bad for the battery. So the i prefer the slower charging)

The adapters work on my KEYone and they also work on my nephew's Galaxy S8!
    Bad idea unless those adapters have resistors, which they probably don't. You could fry the cable or your phone.
    06-21-17 01:33 AM
    Bad idea unless those adapters have resistors, which they probably don't. You could fry the cable or your phone.
    When does the frying take place? I've been using it since the KEYone launch on June 1st, and my nephew been using it since the S8 launch.
    06-21-17 01:43 AM
    When does the frying take place? I've been using it since the KEYone launch on June 1st, and my nephew been using it since the S8 launch.
    Whatever, if you want to risk a $550 device just to save a few bucks, that's on you.
    06-21-17 12:48 PM
    Don't get the thin cables. USB 3.0 cable is supposed to have a bit of heft in its built quality. And if the end has a USB C connector, make sure that it is compliant with the specs.
    06-21-17 03:35 PM
    Whatever, if you want to risk a $550 device just to save a few bucks, that's on you.
    If the micro usb cable hasn't fried my PRIV or DTEK50, then why could it happen by putting adapter on end of micro usb cable on end date that plugs into DTEK60 or KEYone?
    06-21-17 03:44 PM
    If the micro usb cable hasn't fried my PRIV or DTEK50, then why could it happen by putting adapter on end of micro usb cable on end date that plugs into DTEK60 or KEYone?
    Micro USB is an older standard that is only designed for a max current of 2.0-2.4 amps. USB-C can handle 3.0 amps. It can also handle two way charging, and some strange things can happen while the cable negotiates with the port. For example, somebody reported that plugging his K1 into a MacBook with a USB C-to-C cable resulted in the K1 charging the MacBook.

The resistor prevents the excess current from going through the micro USB connector. When you plug a resistor-less adapter onto a micro USB cable and put it in your phone, the phone thinks it is dealing with a regular USB-C cable that can handle 3 amps. It might ask the charger to deliver 3 amps, or it might start delivering 3 amps to the other device. The micro USB connector and wires inside can't handle that and thus the cable fries and your phone could be damaged.

Will this actually happen to you? Probably not, but if you choose to risk your $550 phone with counterfeit Chinese adapters, don't complain if something does happen.
    JLagoon likes this.
    06-21-17 06:04 PM