Just read this online (and thanks to Google Translate for allowing me to read it in English). Not sure if this is clickbait or legit, but was an interesting read. Those in the know can comment on whether it is true or not. Here is the translated text and link for those interested. I do like the sounds of it, but not sure if it is worth the added cost (although it wasn't translated into Canadian dollars, so I don't know the actual incremental amount). I'll try and look that up later.

By Melissa Cruz Cossetti, from São Paulo *
    7/19/2017 7:01 PM Updated 3 hours ago

The return of the BlackBerry to Brazil will be turbinated. Scheduled for September , the Blackberry KeyONE will arrive in the country late, but for good reason. The touchscreen smartphone with qwerty keyboard will soon gain a version with more RAM, double internal space and visual "all black". The changes, according to Fernando Pezzotti, CEO of TCL Communication in Brazil - the company responsible for the Alcatel, BlackBerry and TCL Mobile brands - are caused by two main factors: the success of the device abroad caused the factory to have production problems and demand Of premium phone consumers in the country for best performance. Therefore,

In an extensive interview with TechTudo, on Tuesday (18), the first day of the Smartphone Congress & Expo - which runs parallel to Eletrolar Show 2017 in São Paulo - Pezzotti gave more details about the positioning of the brand in the country that, this year , Focuses on KeyONE, but should expand its portfolio in 2018. Without revealing sales or billing totals, the manufacturer "sells success."
    "The BlackBerry globally is selling very well, it started in Europe and in June it arrived in the United States, and the success was so great that there is a restriction of components." Here in Brazil, we were scheduled to launch KeyONE in September, the same model Was launched out there, but it is going to be delayed. Sales are being bigger than planned, "explains Pezzotti.
    "Since KeyONE has this supply problem, and Brazil is a market where consumers are always looking for better-performing products, we have decided to adjust our strategy and we will bring a new version of BlackBerry KEYOne. A Black Edition. "

The price
    Also according to the executive, the price of KeyONE in Brazil is still under evaluation, but should not increase compared to the value thought for the first model: in the most expensive range, between R $ 3 thousand and R $ 3.5 thousand. See what changes on the phone.

The device sold in Brazil will be manufactured here in Manaus, and comes close to the date of the global announcement that will be made by the company - the second version of KeyONE also reaches the other markets in which it is already. In buying and selling sites, independent importers have offered the device in its first version with 32GB and 3GB of RAM for very similar value.

Pezzotti, who is also the president of Alcatel Brazil, says the upgrade to the BlackBerry's RAM does not come alone. Although the brands have different positioning, the devices are undergoing similar adjustments.

"We have identified that the Brazilian consumer is looking for more performance, more memory. It is the people that use social networks the most, which is more connected," he says.

BlackBerry KeyONE ganha Black Edition com 4GB de RAM e 64 GB de memória interna | Downloads | TechTudo
    jamesharmeling and PALoeza like this.
    07-19-17 09:29 AM
    Been stories about future KEYones with more premium specs for some markets for a long time, most seem to be without any merit.

A KEYone+ would help with that promise of three "devices" this year.

But the idea that would add production in Brazil, increase the specs and not charge more.... that went too far.
    07-19-17 09:50 AM
    Sounds like more localized click bait and a rehash of the story about the same K1 with improved specs that failed to materialize in India.
    07-19-17 10:31 AM
    Hello Do not see this too far fetched and local production is similar to India market.
    Some OEM's are launching to market same device with different specs in RAM.
    Could be a way for TLC to keep pushing the KEYONE.
    Time will tell.
    07-19-17 10:38 AM
    This is a curious article but I tracked down some info regarding things written in the article.
    First of all, I checked the exchange rate. for Brazilian BRL to US dollars.
    3,000 BRL =952.052USD
    3,500 BRL =1,110.56USD
    I am wondering how much of a market there would be in Brazil for these at this price. But perhaps they are not planning to limit their distribution to Brazil (?). I would guess that these would have to be language specific for Portuguese, but hypothetically they could, perhaps crank out some for the South American Spanish speaking market.
    The article quotes Pezzotti, who it says is the president of Alcatel Brazil.
    I found more than one article from 2015 and from 2016 that states that TCL is building factories in Brazil.
    Here is a link to one of them for those who are interested:
    Chinese manufacturer TCL enters the Brazilian market | ZDNet
    So production of KEYones there is not farfetched. Just wondering...since there has obviously been a supply shortage of the current KEYones, it seems it would make business sense to find another option for TCL to produce BlackBerry branded handsets, and maybe some would eventually be sold to N America too. Just wondering out loud.
    07-19-17 02:57 PM

Chinese version,bb100-4 ,4G+32G......maybe
    Bla1ze likes this.
    07-19-17 03:02 PM
    This is a curious article but I tracked down some info regarding things written in the article.
    3,000 BRL =952.052USD
    3,500 BRL =1,110.56USD
    I am wondering how much of a market there would be in Brazil for these at this price. But perhaps they are not planning to limit their distribution to Brazil (?). I would guess that these would have to be language specific for Portuguese, but hypothetically they could, perhaps crank out some for the South American Spanish speaking market.
    The article quotes Pezzotti, who it says is the president of Alcatel Brazil.
    I found more than one article from 2015 and from 2016 that states that TCL is building factories in Brazil.
    Here is a link to one of them for those who are interested:
    Chinese manufacturer TCL enters the Brazilian market | ZDNet
    So production of KEYones there is not farfetched. Just wondering...since there has obviously been a supply shortage of the current KEYones, it seems it would make business sense to find another option for TCL to produce BlackBerry branded handsets, and maybe some would eventually be sold to N America too. Just wondering out loud.
    Good investigation.
    Brazil is a huge Portuguese market. Yes they could produce for rest of South America where Spanish with local dialects spoken. Considering also how BlackBerry had manufactured in Mexico various devices so connection to South America is viable.
    07-19-17 03:39 PM
    Good investigation.
    Brazil is a huge Portuguese market. Yes they could produce for rest of South America where Spanish with local dialects spoken. Considering also how BlackBerry had manufactured in Mexico various devices so connection to South America is viable.
    Keep in mind that TCL has a broad line of consumer electronic products and the article referenced did not mention smartphones.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    07-19-17 06:20 PM
    3,000 BRL =952.052USD
    3,500 BRL =1,110.56USD
    I am wondering how much of a market there would be in Brazil for these at this price.
    For comparison, from this article (Portuguese), the Galaxy S8 and LG G6 are 4000 BRL ($1270 US), the S8+ is 4400 BRL ($1400 US), the iPhone 7 is 3500 BRL ($1110 US) and the iPhone 7+ is 4100 BRL ($1300 US). The rest of the article is about just why phones sold in Brazil are at ridiculous markup, something about economic protectionism. If I were to walk into a cell shop in Canada and buy a S8+ off contract it would cost me $1115 CAD ($884 US), which is two thirds the price of what the same phone is in Brazil.

That said, charging more than double the USA retail price ($550) for the same KEYone is absurd. Even if next year's flagship specs went into it it doesn't excuse the markup.
    07-19-17 06:45 PM
    For comparison, from this article (Portuguese), the Galaxy S8 and LG G6 are 4000 BRL ($1270 US), the S8+ is 4400 BRL ($1400 US), the iPhone 7 is 3500 BRL ($1110 US) and the iPhone 7+ is 4100 BRL ($1300 US). The rest of the article is about just why phones sold in Brazil are at ridiculous markup, something about economic protectionism. If I were to walk into a cell shop in Canada and buy a S8+ off contract it would cost me $1115 CAD ($884 US), which is two thirds the price of what the same phone is in Brazil.

That said, charging more than double the USA retail price ($550) for the same KEYone is absurd. Even if next year's flagship specs went into it it doesn't excuse the markup.
    Of course depending on $$$ exchange why don't Brazilians just order from USA, CANADA or UK?
    07-20-17 01:20 AM
    I'm a buyer if I can get it imported, or maybe it won't be a Brazil exclusive
    07-20-17 07:54 PM
    Of course depending on $$$ exchange why don't Brazilians just order from USA, CANADA or UK?
    Have hear about government? So, there is a thing in proteccionism that if you buy outside you pay Extra Taxs.... so we here in this **** is pay high prices by a thing that we will pay double if imported...

Some one would like to give me a job in your country? Work at the city hall with public manager projects... let's me know hehehe Might in your country I can work to buy something for a fairly price
    07-21-17 12:53 PM
    Samsung launched Samsung S8 / S8+ here, with discounts. So, it's like the real price it's not offer just for whom even search to buy, you can find S8 with all taxes paid by 3200,00 BRL not 4000.00
    07-21-17 12:56 PM
    I am totally shocked by this!!! It might even be cheaper for you to get a plane ticket and fly out just to buy one!
    What if someone purchased for you and sent it to you as a gift!? Theres always a way!!!!!
    07-21-17 01:20 PM
    That would be really expensive, 3,500 Reas is €1,000, the phone was not that price in europe, I know electronic things are expensive in Brazil but if it's going to be manufactured there it should be the same price as in europe, that 3,000-3,500 price would be unattainable for many Brazilians especially since blackberry hasn't had a market in that country for years.
    07-22-17 05:25 AM
    I'm a buyer if I can get it imported, or maybe it won't be a Brazil exclusive
    @Carjackd, Why of course you are a buyer. 😂
    My how this sounds like it has the specs that were in threads where people were describing upgrades they would like to see made to the KEYᵒⁿᵉ.
    07-22-17 09:41 AM
    From what I know, the economic situation in Brazil has been on the bad side and Brazil Real has been losing value. Exchange rate has been going against the real. My company has been losing millions U$ due to this. So I guess if I were going to sell there, I would price at an projected exchange rate at 12 months from now instead of the current rate. Maybe that's how these companies are pricing their products. They have to import raw materials, parts, or the completed products and pay for them in U$. They have to buy U$ at some point with the Real and have to factor in the risk.
    This is similar in higher risk markets where there are low and/or unstable economic development, corruption, and so on. Prices are often higher than in US or Europe.

Posted via CB10
    mago72 likes this.
    07-22-17 10:08 AM
    @Sigewif
    "I am wondering how much of a market there would be in Brazil for these at this price."
    "But perhaps they are not planning to limit their distribution to Brazil (?)."

I think it's important to take a Keyone all black with 4GB RAM and 64GB of storage seriously soon.

The news gains credibility because it came from Fernando Pezzotti - General Director of TCL Communication in Brazil and CEO of Alcatel Brasil.

Why Brazil, but not just him, in the middle of this news?
    Brazil has more than 200 million inhabitants and is the 8th. (Expected in 2017) the world's largest economy.

In 2016 (even with economic crisis), about 40 million smartphones were sold in Brazil (http://br.idclatin.com/releases/news.aspx?id=2083) of which about 5% are above R $ 3,000 (~ 952 USD).

In rapid account 2 million premium smartphones per year.

As TCL has a factory in Manaus, Brazil, and distributes through LATAM, the chances of news become more real.

If we imagine that TCL Mobile wants to earn 20% of that niche, in Brazil alone, then they would give around 400k Keyones / year or ~ $ 400 million / year
    Last edited by mago72; 07-25-17 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Reply reference
    07-25-17 02:05 PM
    @thurask
    "That said, charging more than double the USA retail price ($550) for the same KEYone is absurd"

Unfortunately, the tax burden in Brazil is generally around 41%.
    If every smartphone were 100% manufactured and had 100% of its parts from Brazil it would have 33% tax.

But the more expensive electronic parts are largely imported and have a higher tax burden.

Normally an electronics imported from the USA arrives here costing double or double and a half.

In this case of keyone 1100 USD which would give the same value of the product manufactured in Brazil. Having only the advantage of support and warranty, which does not occur in the imported.

Even with all that, it's still a very expensive value and I agree, yes, that there are exaggerated profit margins for premium products.
    07-25-17 02:28 PM
    Charging more in countries where BlackBerry is a niche product is actually very normal these days not surprised
    07-27-17 03:53 AM