Hi guys. I just bought an open box KeyONE from Amazon's Warehouse Deals. The phone was supposed to be in the original pristine packaging, but I got one in a plain brown box and manufactured in June 2017.
    The phone itself looks great (only a couple minor scratches) and works perfectly so far, but I'm afraid the screen will separate at some point.
    I contacted BlackBerry Mobile and they said the phone is already out of warranty and they will ONLY cover the screen separation if that were to happen.

I'm torn between keeping it or just returning it and buying a different phone (Amazon won't exchange it). Thoughts?
    08-25-18 10:02 AM
    So you contacted BlackBerry Mobile to address your main concern, screen separation, and they told you if it did occur it would be covered, where's the conflict?
    thinkdan and dbollman423 like this.
    08-25-18 10:26 AM
    I have a June build -3 variant that has been in use a year now, suffering through a hard work environment and active lifestyle with several drops and misadventures with no build issues as of yet. No screen separation nor pkb issues.

I know that a majority of the screen issues were associated with the early builds, but many of us with early builds have yet to experience that problem and at this point, I doubt we will.
    thinkdan and mushroom_daddy like this.
    08-25-18 01:18 PM
    Hi guys. I just bought an open box KeyONE from Amazon's Warehouse Deals. The phone was supposed to be in the original pristine packaging, but I got one in a plain brown box and manufactured in June 2017.
    The phone itself looks great (only a couple minor scratches) and works perfectly so far, but I'm afraid the screen will separate at some point.
    I contacted BlackBerry Mobile and they said the phone is already out of warranty and they will ONLY cover the screen separation if that were to happen.

I'm torn between keeping it or just returning it and buying a different phone (Amazon won't exchange it). Thoughts?
    Since you just bought the phone there should still be a warranty in place unless it was sold strictly as not having a warranty. Warranty is based on purchase date, not build date. Either BBMobile has agreed that should the screen fall out at least that is covered!
    thinkdan likes this.
    08-25-18 04:50 PM
    So you contacted BlackBerry Mobile to address your main concern, screen separation, and they told you if it did occur it would be covered, where's the conflict?
    Well, they won't cover any other issues. I'm not sure if it's worth keeping this phone with no warranty. Didn't pay much for it though, only about $270.
    08-25-18 11:36 PM
    I have a June build -3 variant that has been in use a year now, suffering through a hard work environment and active lifestyle with several drops and misadventures with no build issues as of yet. No screen separation nor pkb issues.

I know that a majority of the screen issues were associated with the early builds, but many of us with early builds have yet to experience that problem and at this point, I doubt we will.
    Thank you for your comment. That's very reassuring.
    08-25-18 11:38 PM
    Since you just bought the phone there should still be a warranty in place unless it was sold strictly as not having a warranty. Warranty is based on purchase date, not build date. Either BBMobile has agreed that should the screen fall out at least that is covered!
    I know, right? Since I bought it open box maybe BBMobile had some record of it being activated before and thus the warranty has expired. But yes, at least the screen separating would be covered.
    Thank you for your comment.
    08-25-18 11:40 PM
    I know, right? Since I bought it open box maybe BBMobile had some record of it being activated before and thus the warranty has expired. But yes, at least the screen separating would be covered.
    Thank you for your comment.
    $270 is a pretty good indication that it was not just an open box Amazon offer. So it must be used and the warranty has expired but you still have the screen lift protection. Buyer beware but in the meantime you can't return it so use it and enjoy it until...
    phuoc likes this.
    08-26-18 12:21 AM
    My wife's KEYone suffered a slight screen separation a few weeks ago. BBMo replaced her phone. BUT, they only did so because we were able to provide the original invoice; I doubt that BBMo would honour the warranty extension for a second-hand phone.
    08-26-18 04:15 AM
    Wait, the date on the box is June or the date when doing the MMI test?
    08-26-18 11:39 AM
    Wait, the date on the box is June or the date when doing the MMI test?
    That's the date on the MMI test.
    08-26-18 04:45 PM
    My wife's KEYone suffered a slight screen separation a few weeks ago. BBMo replaced her phone. BUT, they only did so because we were able to provide the original invoice; I doubt that BBMo would honour the warranty extension for a second-hand phone.
    Exactly, that's what worries me. Even though they said they would cover the screen lift, what guarantee do I have that they will actually honor it. Maybe I'll just return it and get a different phone.
    08-26-18 04:47 PM
    $270 is a pretty good indication that it was not just an open box Amazon offer. So it must be used and the warranty has expired but you still have the screen lift protection. Buyer beware but in the meantime you can't return it so use it and enjoy it until...
    The price was actually about $320, but they had a 20% off promo. Usually the stuff they sell is recent, only used for a few days. Had I known I'd get a phone manufactured more than a year ago I wouldn't have ordered it in the first place.
    The phone seems solid so far, but I'm leaning towards returning it and getting a different one that gives me more peace of mind.
    08-26-18 04:52 PM
    The price was actually about $320, but they had a 20% off promo. Usually the stuff they sell is recent, only used for a few days. Had I known I'd get a phone manufactured more than a year ago I wouldn't have ordered it in the first place.
    The phone seems solid so far, but I'm leaning towards returning it and getting a different one that gives me more peace of mind.
    Just out of curiosity open the Support Center App and tap on E-warranty and see what it says.
    08-26-18 05:01 PM
    Just out of curiosity open the Support Center App and tap on E-warranty and see what it says.
    I did that after I got it and was able to sign up with my email and personal information. Now it says E-Warranty activated", "Warranty Number" and a 12-digit number.
    08-26-18 05:06 PM
    I did that after I got it and was able to sign up with my email and personal information. Now it says E-Warranty activated", "Warranty Number" and a 12-digit number.
    If you have a sales receipt and having the E-Warranty filled in I'd would bet to think you have full warranty from the date of purchase. If so I'd keep the phone for the price you paid.

Anybody out there have anything to add?
    08-26-18 05:12 PM
    If anything, LCD assemblies for the KEYone can be found for as low as $30-$40
    thinkdan likes this.
    08-26-18 05:48 PM
    If anything, LCD assemblies for the KEYone can be found for as low as $30-$40
    Wow, you're right. I didn't know they were so cheap. Also, I just watched a video and they're very easy to install. This changes everything.
    If the screen ever separates without falling off or the ribbon tearing, I'll just fix it with that 3M double-sided tape. Otherwise, I'll replace the whole screen myself or send it to BBMobile if they do honor the warranty.
    08-26-18 07:18 PM
    Wow, you're right. I didn't know they were so cheap. Also, I just watched a video and they're very easy to install. This changes everything.
    If the screen ever separates without falling off or the ribbon tearing, I'll just fix it with that 3M double-sided tape. Otherwise, I'll replace the whole screen myself or send it to BBMobile if they do honor the warranty.
    Exactly
    08-27-18 12:43 AM