In other news, Canadeh is thinking hard on the F-35 deals with US eh acting funny on Le Bombardier aeroplanes majorly owned by Canadeh.

They now need to man-up on the greenbacks vs CDN issue too IMO.
    10-19-17 07:31 AM
    So what specifically are these other "economic factors" that put a 25-30% premium on Canadian BlackBerries?

These products are made en mass in Chinese factories and distributed worldwide.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not an expert here, but there can be import duties or tariffs, for one. So, if you are importing a phone from China the Canadian government may have a tariff that specifies that you must add 30% to the wholesale price.

If you go to the USA and buy liquor or cigarettes then when you come across the border you must pay duty (effectively a tax) on the item.

Taxation - you may be forced to pay tax on an imported item also. Unfortunately I don't know the legislative differences between a "duty", "tariff" and "tax".

So, the price that an importer pays for a phone made in China is NOT the same price that they can sell it for in Canada.
    There would likely be some sort of a government tariff or duty that would be charged - also, if the same importer was working in both Canada and the USA there may well be DIFFERENT tariffs/duties for Canada and the USA, which affect the price.
    It may well be that distribution / shipping inside the countries is different as well.

Additionally, costs tend to be higher in Canada - taxes are higher, shipping could well be more - lower volume of orders could affect this as well. The USA market is 10x the size of the Canadian market. It's very possible that an order going to the USA could qualify for a volume discount whereas one for Canada might not.
    10-19-17 10:43 AM
    The BlackBerry (TCL) KeyOne Black is on sale in the US for $529.99 (now on sale for $499.99). The USD to CAD exchange rate is around $1.25 (and has been for a while). That means the KeyOne in Canada should be priced around $669.99.

And yet, they've priced it at $799-$819! That's a +25% higher markup over the exchange rate for the Canadian market!

Yet more proof of what BlackBerry /TCL thinks of Canada.

Posted via CB10
    Do you actually think about what you're going to say before you post it RodgeSaunders, or is your MO here to stir up excrement as often as you can? Your posts are full of misinformation, half truths, exaggerations and outright lies. You've had retail pricing and exchange rules explained to you countless times before and yet you constantly ignore that information.

I give up.
    10-19-17 12:08 PM
    What's the fifth word in my original post Conite? Black. Read.

Posted via CB10
    Testy! And yet it's you who made the mistake. The 4/64 BE isn't even available in the US. The BE you're looking at is nothing more than a coloured in OG with 3/32 and is sold exclusively by AT&T and not even included in the 24hr markdown.

Perhaps it's you who should read.
    10-19-17 12:12 PM
    These forums would be a lot more fun if we could set a "relevant and literate" bar on participation. It really isn't enjoyable to read and repeatedly respond to semi-troll posts that add no value but don't cross the line in terms of being punishable.

I'm not making a specific suggestion, and I'm all for differing opinions, but I think everyone here knows what I mean when I say it is frustrating to carefully explain basic facts and realities over and over again only to find out that the person you're trying to help doesn't want to be informed!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    10-19-17 12:55 PM
    The BlackBerry (TCL) KeyOne Black is on sale in the US for $529.99 (now on sale for $499.99). The USD to CAD exchange rate is around $1.25 (and has been for a while). That means the KeyOne in Canada should be priced around $669.99.

And yet, they've priced it at $799-$819! That's a +25% higher markup over the exchange rate for the Canadian market!

Yet more proof of what BlackBerry /TCL thinks of Canada.

Posted via CB10
    Do you even know how the world works?
    10-19-17 01:15 PM
    These forums would be a lot more fun if we could set a "relevant and literate" bar on participation. It really isn't enjoyable to read and repeatedly respond to semi-troll posts that add no value but don't cross the line in terms of being punishable.

I'm not making a specific suggestion, and I'm all for differing opinions, but I think everyone here knows what I mean when I say it is frustrating to carefully explain basic facts and realities over and over again only to find out that the person you're trying to help doesn't want to be informed!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    You said what I was trying to say only more eloquently
    10-19-17 01:19 PM
    No point complaining about the price. It is a free market. Buy the product if the price is within your range. Pass if it is not.
    10-19-17 09:06 PM
    why it cost more in Canada? 8 things.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/econ...d-why-that-is/
    10-19-17 11:28 PM
    why it cost more in Canada? 8 things.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/econ...d-why-that-is/
    I actually think Canada comes off OK with device pricing when you look at the rest of the world and carry out REAL comparisons taking into account local taxes, etc. But especially so when you take into consideration the economics of a country with 1/10 the population of the US in the second largest land mass after Russia.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-17 06:56 AM
    What's the fifth word in my original post Conite? Black. Read.

Posted via CB10
    Well you're a cranky little guy aren't ya?

They have an AT&T Black Edition in the US that is not in fact the 64GB/4GB edition we get here in Canada., it's the same hardware as the Silver edition here in Canada with a black paint job. I don't think the upgraded Black Edition has been made available to the US market as far as I'm aware, due to TCL's deal with AT&T to release their "stock internals" Black edition. That narrows the price gap by a decent margin.

Also take into account that the 25% exchange markup currently has NOT been for all that long, just 6 months ago it was in the 37-38% range. They make these pricing decisions based on longer-term exchange rates, you'll notice they don't change the Canadian prices monthly to match the current exchange rate.
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-20-17 12:16 PM
    So what specifically are these other "economic factors" that put a 25-30% premium on Canadian BlackBerries?

These products are made en mass in Chinese factories and distributed worldwide.

Posted via CB10
    I was really hoping you would come back and explain why you feel the need to constantly post misleading and erroneous information, especially when you've had things explained to you and your errors pointed out. Do you really still believe that the KEYone is being sold for a 30% premium over US pricing in Canada?

As the BE 4/64 isn't available in the US there isn't a real comparison to be made so you can't base your argument on that. And as the Space Black edition is only available to AT&T customers at a slightly sub-vented retail price you can't compare to that either. The only direct comparison you can draw is between the US and Canadian retail pricing for the OG KEYone. There are two price points from Amazon ($525), and Best Buy ($550) and this is how the CAD pricing stacks up against one another:

$525USD=$662CAD=5.7% difference in retail pricing;
    $550USD=$694CAD=0.8% difference in retail pricing.

With just a little bit of effort, with a little bit of research, you could have avoided all of this. This has been explained to you over and over again so I thought you might respond better if you saw the numbers broken down properly.

Please, just stop posting misinformation.
    10-22-17 07:37 AM
37 12