I'm unsure if the KEYone will be my next phone and I've been doing a lot of research trying to convince myself to stay with BlackBerry after many, many years of dedication.

I've been watching what happened with the DTEK devices and how we haven't heard anything about them getting the Nougat update. I totally understand that Android N is somewhat new, but not hearing anything is not good. So I'm wondering if BlackBerry Mobile has committed to OS updates in any way. To be clear, I'm not talking about the monthly security updates - I'm well aware of those and that's great.

Before I commit to the KEYone, I'd like to know how committed BlackBerry Mobile is to the device.
    06-22-17 10:39 AM
    I'm unsure if the KEYone will be my next phone and I've been doing a lot of research trying to convince myself to stay with BlackBerry after many, many years of dedication.

I've been watching what happened with the DTEK devices and how we haven't heard anything about them getting the Nougat update. I totally understand that Android N is somewhat new, but not hearing anything is not good. So I'm wondering if BlackBerry Mobile has committed to OS updates in any way. To be clear, I'm not talking about the monthly security updates - I'm well aware of those and that's great.

Before I commit to the KEYone, I'd like to know how committed BlackBerry Mobile is to the device.
    It's definitely something to consider because of the lack of progress and communication with the Priv and DTEK line. In this case I think you can safely assume that the KeyOne will get O, and nothing beyond that. The SOC is midrange and already has been out over a year. It probably wouldn't be able to even support anything beyond that.
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-22-17 10:44 AM
    I think the real question is Will BBMobile be any more committed than RIM, then BlackBerry, when the chips are down and they want to use the seed money for something else. Not bashing, just sayin'. I don't think "committed" means anything anymore for any BlackBerry company long term. I still love mine, but it's a device that the cult status keeps alive but the cult leaders have turned to other loves.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-22-17 11:13 AM
    BlackBerry's unofficial official stance on updates is "we base our reputation on monthly security updates" and changing the subject if the question is about OS updates.
    06-22-17 01:42 PM
    N is relatively old by now. There was a 7.0, 7.1, 7.1.1 and 7.1.2 builds. all a few months apart.

We are looking at Android O now.

Most manufacturers have updated their devices they were going to, and are working with the beta versions of O. Even if they are going to take a long time to release it.

Suffice it to say the PRIV and Dteks are not getting updated.

Really a poor showing by BlackBerry.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    06-22-17 02:10 PM
    What BlackBerry did, is, or will do has no bearing on TCL / BlackBerry Mobile.

TCL is a completely separate, and much bigger entity (the 6th largest phone maker in the world, right behind LG) than BlackBerry, who are only paying BlackBerry for their OS and, as such, obligating them to produce updates for a specified period of time.

TCL is in this for the long haul and is avidly pursuing the western markets with their Roku, Alcatel, and BlackBerry Mobile brands.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    06-22-17 02:21 PM
    I don't think anyone knows what TCL will do. They may not know themselves. But it seems like sales volumes aren't real high, and that will make it harder to justify spending money on an update. This is, after all, a phone that, so far, has likely sold only about 20,000 units. Maybe that number reaches 100k by the end of the year. Not exactly a ton of money there to cover further development expenses, especially with the money they have to spend to deal with the hardware issues the K1 is having.

TCL also hasn't exactly had a history of updating their Alcatel phones. Maybe they will treat BB differently, but I don't know if the numbers support that. BBMo is a whole new game, and with no history and no statements, all anyone can do is guess.
    PantherBlitz and dejanh like this.
    06-22-17 02:28 PM
    It's definitely something to consider because of the lack of progress and communication with the Priv and DTEK line. In this case I think you can safely assume that the KeyOne will get O, and nothing beyond that. The SOC is midrange and already has been out over a year. It probably wouldn't be able to even support anything beyond that.
    Based upon BlackBerry and TCL's history of updating their phones, you cannot safely assume the KEYone will get O.

Unless you hear TCL come out and say it's going to get O, it's not going to get O.
    chi-town311 likes this.
    06-22-17 02:32 PM
    Based upon BlackBerry and TCL's history of updating their phones, you cannot safely assume the KEYone will get O.

Unless you hear TCL come out and say it's going to get O, it's not going to get O.
    TCL has zero history with a phone branded as being secure. As Troy says, this is a whole new ballgame.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    06-22-17 02:35 PM
    What BlackBerry did, is, or will do has no bearing on TCL / BlackBerry Mobile.

TCL is a completely separate, and much bigger entity (the 6th largest phone maker in the world, right behind LG) than BlackBerry, who are only paying BlackBerry for their OS and, as such, obligating them to produce updates for a specified period of time.

TCL is in this for the long haul and is avidly pursuing the western markets with their Roku, Alcatel, and BlackBerry Mobile brands.
    But blackberry is still somewhere in the game and they are suppose to vocal out with this ignorant act of theirs. Somewhere at some point, BlackBerry had said they are working on nougat since that is where they start making their phones ultra secure and hence they will not want to leave priv and dtek series less secure. They really need to step up and give it to customers!

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.3.2205
    06-22-17 02:47 PM
    TCL has zero history with a phone branded as being secure. As Troy says, this is a whole new ballgame.
    Bahahaha PRIV didn't even get N.

Anyone who thinks the K1 is going to get O, well I got a piece of land on the moon to sell you.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    06-22-17 02:53 PM
    But blackberry is still somewhere in the game and they are suppose to vocal out with this ignorant act of theirs. Somewhere at some point, BlackBerry had said they are working on nougat since that is where they start making their phones ultra secure and hence they will not want to leave priv and dtek series less secure. They really need to step up and give it to customers!

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.3.2205
    That has nothing to do with what TCL will or won't do going forward.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    06-22-17 02:55 PM
    Bahahaha PRIV didn't even get N.

Anyone who thinks the K1 is going to get O, well I got a piece of land on the moon to sell you.
    BlackBerry has NOTHING to do with TCL. BlackBerry is only a vendor.
    Carjackd likes this.
    06-22-17 02:56 PM
    BlackBerry has NOTHING to do with TCL. BlackBerry is only a vendor.
    TCL does NOT have a history of updating it's devices.

Have they come out and promised O?

NO?

Then there's YOUR answer.

Other manufacturers have confirmed that their devices will be getting N or O. If they haven't it's because the devices WONT.
    nuff_said likes this.
    06-22-17 02:57 PM
    TCL does NOT have a history of updating it's devices.

Have they come out and promised O?

NO?

Then there's YOUR answer.

Other manufacturers have confirmed that their devices will be getting N or O. If they haven't it's because the devices WONT.
    TCL has nothing to do with BlackBerry and BlackBerry's DTEKs or Priv.
    Carjackd likes this.
    06-22-17 02:58 PM
    TCL has nothing to do with BlackBerry and BlackBerry's DTEKs or Priv.
    Seeing as BlackBerry developed the software and security internals, they dictate if it does or not.
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    06-22-17 03:00 PM
    Seeing as BlackBerry developed the software and security internals, they dictate if it does or not.
    Absolutely not.

BlackBerry is simply an OS vendor to TCL. TCL is responsible for the terms of the support arrangement.
    06-22-17 03:03 PM
    KEYone won't get O. Keep telling yourself otherwise. They're gonna EOL it by the end of the year due to low sale volume and monthly security updates will become slower - just like the PRIV.

Mark my words.
    AllanQuatermain and nuff_said like this.
    06-22-17 03:05 PM
    KEYone won't get O. Keep telling yourself otherwise. They're gonna EOL it by the end of the year due to low sale volume and monthly security updates will become slower - just like the PRIV.

Mark my words.
    Whether that happens or not has nothing to do with BlackBerry and everything to do with TCL.

TCL were not expecting big sales, that's why production was low. They have stated many times that they are in this for the long term, and are prepared to take baby steps to rebuild the brand.
    06-22-17 03:10 PM
    Whether that happens or not has nothing to do with BlackBerry and everything to do with TCL.

TCL were not expecting big sales, that's why production was low. They have stated many times that they are in this for the long term, and are prepared to take baby steps to rebuild the brand.
    If that was true, they'd have come out and said that O is planned for the K1. Either during product reveal or since then.

Nokia and HTC want to rebuild their brands and they've already come out and said their newer phones will be getting O.

Talking the talk isn't the same as walking the walk.

TCL needs to shut up and put up. Put the money where their mouth is.
    06-22-17 03:15 PM
    TCL needs to shut up and put up. Put the money where their mouth is.
    They have. They've spent ungodly amounts of money on BlackBerry Mobile over the last six months.

Why do you seem so angry with TCL? What have they done to you to generate so much vitriol?
    Last edited by conite; 06-22-17 at 03:40 PM.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    06-22-17 03:20 PM
    Doesn't matter. Blackberry is still the software and OS skin developer.........not TCL.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    06-22-17 03:39 PM
    Blackberry is still the software and OS skin developer.........not TCL.
    So?
    06-22-17 03:41 PM
    So?
    So, once the phone is built...the fact it's "secure" has nothing to do with TCL. It simply doesn't matter that it is their first Blackberry. It is just going to be a business decision.
    06-22-17 03:45 PM
    If you think their first BlackBerry branded phone won't get 1 OS update, I don't know what to say. If that's the case, that means they have already decided to fold the brand.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    06-22-17 03:48 PM
175 123 ...