Wowzers. Are you serious?
    Yup it's true
    06-24-17 01:01 AM
    Wait really? You are joking right? The Z10 was a completely underwhelming piece of hardware. Blackberry 10 OS was really half baked even in 10.1.
    Really??!!?? Like Slag mentioned (10.1 and Note 7), my sarcasm was intended as response to some who are in denial about BB10 and BlackBerry in general regarding hardware. That BlackBerry Original is doing so well and BlackBerry Mobile is licensing the brand is nothing short of a miracle. Neither company is Apple, Google or Microsoft right now, good or bad.
    06-24-17 05:41 AM
    Really??!!?? Like Slag mentioned (10.1 and Note 7), my sarcasm was intended as response to some who are in denial about BB10 and BlackBerry in general regarding hardware. That BlackBerry Original is doing so well and BlackBerry Mobile is licensing the brand is nothing short of a miracle. Neither company is Apple, Google or Microsoft right now, good or bad.
    Where exactly does BlackBerry go from here? I mean as a shareholder I couldn't anticipate a whole lot of growth in the company. Stocks are down after the report and revenues continue to decline? What's the payoff? Make themselves attractive for a buyout? Next quarter won't have the Qualcomm payoff either
    06-24-17 06:00 AM
    It is always amusing to see how folks who thought BlackBerry couldn't compete with Samsung and Apple... in a field where they clearly had superior core competence... can somehow compete with the likes of Microsoft, Apple, Oracle, etc... in a field where they have virtually no competence.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    06-24-17 08:12 AM
    Looking at the voting from shareholders regarding Board of Directors, I'd say, the folks that matter, shareholders, disagree with you...
    Probably most assuredly true.

But the problem is that there are two different Blackberry companies in the minds of the public. There is the BB that use to make innovative phones and slowly sank into the sunset. Then there's the BB that makes other things and is trying to stay in business. But the two should be distinguished from one another.

And most people on CB don't really care if the "new and improved" BB survives if they are not going to offer innovative phones/keyboards/Hubs/Blends, Bridges. The new BB is not offering consumer products. I'd hazard a guess that most CB residents do not own stock in BB. They like and want their phones to survive. A pipe dream?
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    06-24-17 10:40 AM
    I don't know if this helps but......

I have a UK version.....updated last Monday
    I have a US Amazon version....i plugged in and turned on three days ago as it is my spare for when all the haters finish killing off BlackBerry.... updated Thursday

I'm on ATT

I just keep swapping my SIM evert time a new BlackBerry releases
    06-24-17 01:40 PM

But the problem is that there are two different Blackberry companies in the minds of the public. There is the BB that use to make innovative phones and slowly sank into the sunset. Then there's the BB that makes other things and is trying to stay in business. But the two should be distinguished from one another.

And most people on CB don't really care if the "new and improved" BB survives if they are not going to offer innovative phones/keyboards/Hubs/Blends, Bridges. The new BB is not offering consumer products. I'd hazard a guess that most CB residents do not own stock in BB. They like and want their phones to survive. A pipe dream?
    The BlackBerry that exists in the mind of the fanboy and the BlackBerry that exists in the real world are completely different things. Inability to recognize that some dreams just can't come true leads to the moaning and groaning permeating every square inch of this place.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    06-24-17 02:20 PM
    The BlackBerry that exists in the mind of the fanboy and the BlackBerry that exists in the real world are completely different things. Inability to recognize that some dreams just can't come true leads to the moaning and groaning permeating every square inch of this place.
    Bingo

Posted via CB10
    06-24-17 03:31 PM

Sure it's a pipe dream since BlackBerry Original left hardware... place your bets on the new company of you like but remember they aren't part of BlackBerry Original, they are owned by TCL... plain and simple and shareholders aren't worried about Crackberrians..
    06-24-17 04:42 PM
    Really all this comes down to one thing, do you want the physical keyboard bad enough. I would put money on the phone only getting security updates with no OS updates. It would be a nice surprise if KEYone owners get O but I wouldn't doubt they get stuck on N. If you want OS updates with middling security updates get any other flagship phone. If you want both get a pixel.
    I'm open to the Pixel and could possibly hold out until its rumored October release. But if BlackBerry Mobile was more sincere with their commitment to supporting the device, I might just go for the KEYone now and not wait another four months. I want the keyboard but I feel like I'm compromising with the KEYone's specs and I don't want to make so many compromises since I plan on keeping the phone for two years. I'd like to at least have one major OS update to look forward to.
    06-25-17 11:40 AM
    I'm open to the Pixel and could possibly hold out until its rumored October release. But if BlackBerry Mobile was more sincere with their commitment to supporting the device, I might just go for the KEYone now and not wait another four months. I want the keyboard but I feel like I'm compromising with the KEYone's specs and I don't want to make so many compromises since I plan on keeping the phone for two years. I'd like to at least have one major OS update to look forward to.
    If you're buying the keyone right now it should be because you want to use the phone right now as is.

Can't expect any os updates at this point because no one knows what's going on at BlackBerry. Doesn't matter if tcl is launching more devices this year. Nothings for certain at the moment sadly.

People were certain even though BlackBerry was leaving hardware there would be no way they'd leave the 50 and 60 abandoned from getting N...yet look now.
    06-25-17 12:21 PM
    Again, just to be clear: TCL is building devices and has paid BlackBerry simply to supply them with the OS and the brand name.

Frankly, it's probably one of the cheapest components to go into the phones.
    It's the same as Dell paying Microsoft for Windows.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-17 12:45 PM
    It's the same as Dell paying Microsoft for Windows.

Posted via CB10
    That's about it.
    06-25-17 01:21 PM
    That's about it.
    Wasn't directed at you since I clearly know you get it.

Same as any other computer manufacturer

Posted via CB10
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-25-17 01:27 PM
    Wasn't directed at you since I clearly know you get it.

Same as any other computer manufacturer

Posted via CB10
    Moral support.
    06-25-17 01:39 PM
    Moral support.
    Appreciated. It's like being hit over the head with a hammer over and over on here sometimes.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-17 06:39 PM
    Of course it has an impact. If a BlackBerry branded phone was to be hacked tomorrow after being marketed as the world's most secure Android what do you think the headlines would be? You don't think that would have any impact on them at all when the rest of their software offerings are touted as the most secure as well? Come on now. You are smarter then that.
    BB made it clear when they were talking about licensing out the brand that the security piece was OPTIONAL and not required to license the brand. BB was happy to make money off of people licensing just the name if they wanted - they'd love to also license security, but that wasn't a requirement.

Also, BB hasn't been touting the K1 as being "secure" in the way they were with the DTEK50 when it launched, so, again, I'm not sure that BB is as concerned with security on the new devices as you might imagine.
    06-25-17 08:36 PM
    BB made it clear when they were talking about licensing out the brand that the security piece was OPTIONAL and not required to license the brand. BB was happy to make money off of people licensing just the name if they wanted - they'd love to also license security, but that wasn't a requirement.

Also, BB hasn't been touting the K1 as being "secure" in the way they were with the DTEK50 when it launched, so, again, I'm not sure that BB is as concerned with security on the new devices as you might imagine.
    They've subsequently stated that the three licencees get the full security package.
    06-25-17 09:46 PM

You should site where they said because they have specifically stated their licensed devices will have their "secure" version of Android on them.
    06-26-17 12:57 AM
    They now need to patch the smart pocket case call answering/rejecting issue.
    06-26-17 02:04 AM
    You should site where they said because they have specifically stated their licensed devices will have their "secure" version of Android on them.
    BlackBerry did say what Troy mentioned, but that was superseded by actual events.
    06-26-17 06:52 AM
    BB hasn't been touting the K1 as being "secure" in the way they were with the DTEK50 when it launched, so, again, I'm not sure that BB is as concerned with security on the new devices as you might imagine.
    “Impressively designed to be distinctly different, the BlackBerry KEYOne reimagines how we communicate by offering unmatched productivity and the world’s most secure Android smartphone experience,” said Nicolas Zibell, CEO for TCL Communication.

That's exactly what BlackBerry said about the DTEK devices. And notice how they always add "Android" to that sentence.
    06-28-17 10:51 AM
    And notice how they always add "Android" to that sentence.
    Because they don't want anyone to get the wrong idea that this is some proprietary OS that no one would be interested in.
    06-28-17 11:10 AM
    I remember reading that actually in an interview.

The hardware root of trust ie the special BlackBerry sauce they inject into the chips, they said was optional.

Yes partners will have BlackBerry's version of Android but they may not necessarily have the "special sauce" as Chen liked to call it, on the hardware side.

Just in case there was any confusion and people think the Keyone is equivalent in security to the ones made by BlackBerry proper.

But if Conite is correct and the licensees did go for the full security package then ok
    06-28-17 01:26 PM
    I remember reading that actually in an interview.

The hardware root of trust ie the special BlackBerry sauce they inject into the chips, they said was optional.

Yes partners will have BlackBerry's version of Android but they may not necessarily have the "special sauce" as Chen liked to call it, on the hardware side.

Just in case there was any confusion and people think the Keyone is equivalent in security to the ones made by BlackBerry proper.
    BlackBerry subsequently stated that all three licencees will be getting the full secure version of the OS. No one took them up on the other option.
    06-28-17 01:32 PM
175 ... 4567