Put a dollar value to the Priv not getting Nougat. I bet BlackBerry has.
    You can't put a dollar amount on reputation. Something most any successful CEO would understand.

Sadly... a fact that johnny doesn't understand.
    nuff_said likes this.
    06-23-17 06:59 PM
    You can't put a dollar amount on reputation. Something most any successful CEO would understand.

Too bad nobody agrees with you.
    06-23-17 07:03 PM

Yeah, shame on him for dragging the absolutely stellar reputation of BlackBerry ca. late 2013 through the mud!
    06-23-17 07:04 PM
    Yeah, shame on him for dragging the absolutely stellar reputation of BlackBerry ca. late 2013 through the mud!
    The Z10 accolades with BB10.1 were outstanding. It wasn't until the Note7 came along that any phone could measure up to Z10.
    06-23-17 07:10 PM
    Man, it's too bad some of you folks can't be the CEO. You guys obviously know more about how to run a business than this hack John Chen, what does he know? pfffttt
    06-23-17 07:12 PM
    Too bad nobody agrees with you.
    Have you been paying attention today?

Lots of folks agree.
    06-23-17 08:11 PM
    Have you been paying attention today?

Lots of folks agree.
    Looking at the voting from shareholders regarding Board of Directors, I'd say, the folks that matter, shareholders, disagree with you...
    06-23-17 09:20 PM
    The Z10 accolades with BB10.1 were outstanding. It wasn't until the Note7 came along that any phone could measure up to Z10.
    Wait really? You are joking right? The Z10 was a completely underwhelming piece of hardware. Blackberry 10 OS was really half baked even in 10.1.
    06-23-17 09:56 PM
    Actually, the vast majority of my posts here are trying to explain what a licencing agreement is, and that any future updates will be solely the responsibility of TCL - in terms of their own plans, and in terms of how well they crafted their agreement with BlackBerry.

I have stated repeatedly that BlackBerry Mobile is blazing a new trail, and anything that happened before with either BlackBerry or the Alcatel brand have no bearing.

I never suggested I knew where that new trail would lead.
    Your argument about BlackBerry bearing no responsibility doesn't really hold water. Remember, BlackBerry has their name on these devices. And I assume they take their name and brand seriously. Not just let TCL slap it on a device and decide whatever they want on the software side. What if TCL just didn't even want the monthly patches anymore?
    BlackBerry is also trying to push their name and brand back into the gold standard of security discussion. I highly doubt they would hand out their name and reputation without any sort of say on their software security.
    06-23-17 09:57 PM
    Wait really? You are joking right? The Z10 was a completely underwhelming piece of hardware.
    Notice the phone he said took over as king, the Note 7... think about it...
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-23-17 09:57 PM
    Notice the phone he said took over as king, the Note 7... think about it...
    Its crackberry. The place where people claim their passport runs faster than a new S8. Take everything at face value lol.
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-23-17 10:01 PM
    Really all this comes down to one thing, do you want the physical keyboard bad enough. I would put money on the phone only getting security updates with no OS updates. It would be a nice surprise if KEYone owners get O but I wouldn't doubt they get stuck on N. If you want OS updates with middling security updates get any other flagship phone. If you want both get a pixel.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-23-17 10:54 PM
    Your argument about BlackBerry bearing no responsibility doesn't really hold water. Remember, BlackBerry has their name on these devices.
    Hopefully, for BlackBerry's sake, they stipulated some minimum requirements in the licencing agreements to help with issues related to brand reputation. But that takes nothing away from the fact that the KEYᵒⁿᵉ is 100% a TCL device, and that they are solely responsible for the support the device will receive.
    06-23-17 10:56 PM
    Hopefully, for BlackBerry's sake, they stipulated some minimum requirements in the licencing agreements to help with issues related to brand reputation. But that takes nothing away from the fact that the KEYᵒⁿᵉ is 100% a TCL device.
    We know it's a TCL device. Not sure why you keep going on about that. The reality is, you don't know how the software side of the agreement is structured and who is responsible for what. But given the reputation of security involved with BlackBerry's name I would lean to them actually having much more say and involvement then you seem to think.
    And no you don't have to tell me again it's a TCL device. We get it.
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-23-17 11:01 PM
    We know it's a TCL device. Not sure why you keep going on about that. The reality is, you don't know how the software side of the agreement is structured and who is responsible for what. But given the reputation of security involved with BlackBerry's name I would lean to them actually having much more say and involvement then you seem to think.
    And no you don't have to tell me again it's a TCL device. We get it.
    It is TCL that is spending the money and taking the risks. There is little doubt in my mind that they are calling the shots as far as what is expected from BlackBerry in terms of updates. Anything else would be absurd.
    06-23-17 11:16 PM
    It is TCL that is spending the money and taking the risks. There is little doubt in my mind that they are calling the shots as far as what is expected from BlackBerry in terms of updates. Anything else would be absurd.
    Absurd how exactly? It's absurd to suggest that since BlackBerry is trying to tout a security brand and software being a large part of it that they may actually have some input and say as to how it goes. What if TCL decided tomorrow they don't even want patches monthly?
    Just because you think it's absurd doesn't mean you have all the fact as to how this is all structured.
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-23-17 11:20 PM
    Absurd how exactly? It's absurd to suggest that since BlackBerry is trying to tout a security brand and software being a large part of it that they may actually have some input and say as to how it goes. What if TCL decided tomorrow they don't even want patches monthly?
    Just because you think it's absurd doesn't mean you have all the fact as to how this is all structured.
    I'm sure TCL could throw in the towel anytime they wish. They wouldn't sign anything that would force them to take more losses than they want to bear.

I'm also quite sure BlackBerry is counting their lucky stars that anyone wanted to licence their software at all, which would leave TCL calling most of the shots.
    06-23-17 11:31 PM
    I'm sure TCL could throw in the towel anytime they wish. They wouldn't sign anything that would force them to take more losses than they want to bear.

I'm sure BlackBerry is counting their lucky stars that anyone wanted to licence their software at all, which would leave TCL calling most of the shots.
    Lol earlier in the thread you claim TCL did this to penetrate the North American market and is in it for the long hall and now BlackBerry is lucky they did it. If they did it for the reason you claim then clearly they see a lot of value in the brand if its their ticket to get penetration in this market.

Again, BlackBerry has a reputation they are trying to uphold in security which is the only thing their future is about. They aren't going to risk all that by some half assed agreement where they have no say that could put that whole reputation at stake.
    06-23-17 11:36 PM
    Lol earlier in the thread claim TCL did this to penetrate the North American market and is in it for the long hall and now BlackBerry is lucky they did it. If they did it for the reason you claim then clearly they see a lot of value in the brand if its their ticket to get penetration in this market.

Again, BlackBerry has a reputation they are trying to uphold in security which is the only thing their future is about. They aren't going to risk all that by some half assed agreement where they have no say that could put that whole reputation at stake.
    I really don't think anything that happens with BlackBerry branded smartphones would have any impact on the rest of their business. Frankly, most people would be surprised that BlackBerry branded phones even exist, let alone whether they receive timely updates.

TCL is absolutely making a serious go at this, but that doesn't mean BlackBerry had companies lined up at the door.
    06-23-17 11:41 PM
    I really don't think anything that happens with BlackBerry branded smartphones would have any impact on the rest of their business. Frankly, most people would be surprised that BlackBerry branded phones even exist, let alone whether they receive timely updates.

TCL is absolutely making a serious go at this, but that doesn't mean BlackBerry had companies lined up at the door.
    Of course it has an impact. If a BlackBerry branded phone was to be hacked tomorrow after being marketed as the world's most secure Android what do you think the headlines would be? You don't think that would have any impact on them at all when the rest of their software offerings are touted as the most secure as well? Come on now. You are smarter then that.
    06-23-17 11:44 PM
    Of course it has an impact. If a BlackBerry branded phone was to be hacked tomorrow after being marketed as the world's most secure Android what do you think the headlines would be? You don't think that would have any impact on them at all when the rest of their software offering are touted as the most secure as well? Come on now. You are smarter then that.
    I never suggested BlackBerry wasn't in charge of OS development. That's on them.
    06-23-17 11:47 PM
    I never suggested BlackBerry wasn't in charge of OS development. That's on them.
    Not what I was saying. Of course they are in charge of OS development. What are you even talking about now?
    I'm saying if BlackBerry has no say in keeping devices updated and it's all TCL then what I suggested could happen if TCL just decided they didn't want to keep it updated. Which is why I don't think BlackBerry has no say or nothing in the agreement regarding that because of their brand and reputation they want to uphold. Why is that so difficult to believe for you?
    xandros9 and Nathan Conley like this.
    06-23-17 11:52 PM
    Not what I was saying. Of course they are in charge of OS development. What are you even talking about now?
    I'm saying if BlackBerry has no say in keeping devices updated and it's all TCL then what I suggested could happen if TCL just decided they didn't want to keep it updated. Which is why I don't think BlackBerry has no say or nothing in the agreement regarding that because of their brand and reputation they want to uphold. Why is that so difficult to believe for you?
    How many updates do you think the Aurora will get? I would guess very few. BlackBerry doesn't seem overly concerned.
    giantrobo likes this.
    06-23-17 11:58 PM
    Aurora still on February patch lol
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-24-17 12:00 AM
    Aurora still on February patch lol
    Wowzers. Are you serious?
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-24-17 12:05 AM
175 ... 34567