Ok. But I thought BlackBerry said all their safety controls would be complete in Nougat and hence all their phones would get nougat!

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.3.2205
    They said hardened Nougat would be on par with BB10 in terms of security. They said nothing specific regarding existing devices.
    06-23-17 07:50 AM
    They said hardened Nougat would be on par with BB10 in terms of security. They said nothing specific regarding existing devices.
    Achso....i am not sure what they said and when and where. I thought they said they will make all their android handsets enough secured as bb10. And if all the 3 doesn't get nougat, it really would be a shame!

06-23-17 08:02 AM
    lol half of the posts in this thread is Conite sunshine pumping for BlackBerry /TCL neither of which have a history of updating devices. I think the security updates are more important. A lot of you who are new to android most os updates outside of Google hardware end up running worse on your device than the original os the device came with. Be careful what you wish for.
    xandros9 and chi-town311 like this.
    06-23-17 08:59 AM
    There are some quality discussions about OS updates for various Android phones over on Android Central. One of the key things I've taken away from those discussions is how important the chip manufacturer (usually Qualcomm) is to the topic of updates to new versions of Android for any particular phone. Qualcomm has to create drivers for their hardware components for Android updates, or the phone cannot be updated.

So it's not just up to Google to release a new version of Android, BlackBerry to implement their added security tweaks, BlackBerry to update their app suite, the hardware manufacturer to implement BlackBerry's changes, and sometimes the carrier to approve the update. That's complicated enough, but throw in the chip manufacturer/s releasing drivers for the new version of Android to the list and you can see why Android updates can take so long or not materialize at all. Compare that to the way iPhones are updated: one company making the OS, the chip/drivers, core apps, and having the most hands-off agreement with carriers that exist and it's clear why iPhones have such an advantage in this area.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-23-17 09:09 AM
    lol half of the posts in this thread is Conite sunshine pumping for BlackBerry /TCL
    Actually, the vast majority of my posts here are trying to explain what a licencing agreement is, and that any future updates will be solely the responsibility of TCL - in terms of their own plans, and in terms of how well they crafted their agreement with BlackBerry.

I have stated repeatedly that BlackBerry Mobile is blazing a new trail, and anything that happened before with either BlackBerry or the Alcatel brand have no bearing.

I never suggested I knew where that new trail would lead.
    06-23-17 09:16 AM
    There are some quality discussions about OS updates for various Android phones over on Android Central. One of the key things I've taken away from those discussions is how important the chip manufacturer (usually Qualcomm) is to the topic of updates to new versions of Android for any particular phone. Qualcomm has to create drivers for their hardware components for Android updates, or the phone cannot be updated.

So it's not just up to Google to release a new version of Android, BlackBerry to implement their added security tweaks, BlackBerry to update their app suite, the hardware manufacturer to implement BlackBerry's changes, and sometimes the carrier to approve the update. That's complicated enough, but throw in the chip manufacturer/s releasing drivers for the new version of Android to the list and you can see why Android updates can take so long or not materialize at all. Compare that to the way iPhones are updated: one company making the OS, the chip/drivers, core apps, and having the most hands-off agreement with carriers that exist and it's clear why iPhones have such an advantage in this area.
    That's also why Google's own brands of phones enjoy advantage in this respect which proves another more important point. If latest OS and Security updates are so important, why do other Android OEM's lead by such huge amounts of marketshare? If not for Google's enormous pockets of money, they wouldn't be in the hardware business. They dabble to keep the other Android OEM's awake, paying attention so as not to fall behind Apple.
    06-23-17 09:17 AM

That may be, but it's not like the CPU is what's holding back the Priv/DTEKs. The DTEK50 has a Snapdragon 617, as do the HTC One A9 and the Moto G4, both of which have Nougat right now. The Priv has a Snapdragon 808, as do the LG V10 and Nexus 5X, both of which have Nougat right now. The DTEK60 has a Snapdragon 820, as do the Sony Xperia XZ and the Samsung Galaxy S7, both of which have Nougat right now. Sure, for phones older than the Priv (i.e. Snapdragon 800/801) you can make the point that Qualcomm refusing to release new drivers is why they can't officially get new OS releases, but all of these other non-BlackBerry OEMs have Nougat up and running on the same SoC as the BlackBerry devices.
    kbz1960, Uzi, chi-town311 and 3 others like this.
    06-23-17 09:20 AM
    Yeah that's the main reason I am thinking I will not get a KEYone. From here out it's Google phones or even iPhone for me. I love the pixel getting the newest OS. I am already on O. And I have most of the BlackBerry apps to boot. Just no PKB. Which is fine.
    Seriously, if you're not in it for the pkb, just get another phone, why is this even a discussion? lol
    06-23-17 10:16 AM
    Well there's a reason why corporations and even BB "doesn't like" OS updates... it's because they tend to introduce new features which much be tested to make sure they don't present security risks.
    Not really. Companies don't like OS updates because a lot of them make proprietary software made to run on the OS that was there at the time. It's not guaranteed to work on the next OS, so they tend to just keep their devices on the same OS rather than have to commission the software company to retool the software they paid them for...
    06-23-17 10:17 AM
    It's rather simple with Android updates, either you get a Pixel or an older Nexus device that will get at least O or get the new Pixels when they are released. There is always the iPhone so all in all I don't see why make a big deal out of it when companies like Samsung, LG, Sony and Motorola have issues pushing a new OS update and take a good amount of time before updating a particular line of phones. If companies like this have issues imagine what BB is facing with their track record
    If BB will not update the Priv and DTEK to N and update K1 only to O and nothing beyond that, then they will fail in the mobile market altogether because no one wants to buy a phone that receives an OS update extremely late or only one iteration aside from the one with which it was released.
    As much as I like the K1, it will be my last BB phone if they fail to update it beyond O or take to much time to do the update and I honestly consider spiking all future BB phones if the Priv won't get N.
    Nowadays getting an OS update should be the first thing a buyer considers when getting a new phone, but that is probably the last thing buyers consider.
    As a side note why do you think that some Chinese phone companies managed to push OS updates before big names like the ones mentioned above? Because it's the only way they can stay relevant on the market, otherwise they will disappear from the market in a few years when buyers realize that they are stuck on the same 2 year old OS while others have the latest on 2 year old phones.
    Pixel and Nexus. I wonder if any of those OS updates will allow you to expand their memories with micro-SD cards... No? Still not interested then... It's literally THE reason I never bought a Playbook. Saved by the bell.
    06-23-17 10:18 AM
    What BlackBerry did or does with their own devices has nothing to do with TCL. TCL was only a hardware vendor on the DTEKs - nothing more.

Now, BlackBerry is only a software and brand name vendor for TCL - nothing more.
    I get that it legally has nothing to do with it, but it's the same brand. They are paying BB for the brand, so if BlackBerry hurts their brand by not supporting phones, it indirectly hurts TCL. Even if those phones were merely build by TCL for BlackBerry.

If you are in the business of selling your brand, it is your interest to maintain that brand.

Just like the screen falling off is BlackBerry's problem, as well as BB Mobile and TCL's problem. Even though BlackBerry is licensing the software, their brand takes a hit. Which means future agreements will be even less likely.
    06-23-17 11:22 AM
    lol half of the posts in this thread is Conite sunshine pumping for BlackBerry /TCL neither of which have a history of updating devices. I think the security updates are more important. A lot of you who are new to android most os updates outside of Google hardware end up running worse on your device than the original os the device came with. Be careful what you wish for.
    He's an apologist. Nothing they do is ever bad. He keeps making excuses for the delayed DTEK60 patches over in that forum.
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-23-17 11:26 AM
    I get that it legally has nothing to do with it, but it's the same brand. They are paying BB for the brand, so if BlackBerry hurts their brand by not supporting phones, it indirectly hurts TCL. Even if those phones were merely build by TCL for BlackBerry.

If you are in the business of selling your brand, it is your interest to maintain that brand.

Just like the screen falling off is BlackBerry's problem, as well as BB Mobile and TCL's problem. Even though BlackBerry is licensing the software, their brand takes a hit. Which means future agreements will be even less likely.
    Certainly their interests align in terms of the brand, agreed.

But I'm talking ultimate responsibility and trying to predict the future.
    06-23-17 11:42 AM
    I think it's a safe bet to assume that BlackBerry phones will never be at the leading edge as far as new versions of Android are concerned. Their main objective is security, and their monthly security updates will take precedent. Their additional security enhancements probably slow down their implementation of new versions of Android compared with the likes of Samsung or Motorola etc. I think the argument that Priv/Dtek 50/60 will receive OS updates if they make it easier to perform monthly security patches is a pretty good one, given the security priority of BlackBerry software.
    06-23-17 01:08 PM

Only TCL and the other licensees get affected by this. BlackBerry's image can't be tarnished any further than people thinking company doesn't make phones anymore. Their enterprise customers don't care about OS updates because that makes life more complicated.

Plus, they already licensed the whole planet. What's left? Besides, they're still in shock that anyone licensed the brand name to begin with. It wouldn't surprise me if they go back to RIM or some other brand name.
    06-23-17 01:27 PM

Exact same thing am trying to explain all these while ! But some people tends to understand only things written on paper!

06-23-17 03:12 PM
    Exact same thing am trying to explain all these while ! But some people tends to understand only things written on paper!

Understanding and agreeing do not necessarily coincide.
    06-23-17 03:53 PM
    Pixel and Nexus. I wonder if any of those OS updates will allow you to expand their memories with micro-SD cards... No? Still not interested then... It's literally THE reason I never bought a Playbook. Saved by the bell.
    We are talking about updates here not memory expansion, the iPhone and OnePlus are doing pretty well without the memory expansion option so I really don't see the problem.
    The main reason we have so many phone companies is the diversity each of them brings, everyone can choose the best option for their needs.
    Btw you can now expand the memory of the iPhone (unofficially ofc )
    06-23-17 04:42 PM
    We are talking about updates here not memory expansion, the iPhone and OnePlus are doing pretty well without the memory expansion option so I really don't see the problem.
    The main reason we have so many phone companies is the diversity each of them brings, everyone can choose the best option for their needs.
    Btw you can now expand the memory of the iPhone (unofficially ofc )
    Doing well for whom? For you maybe. For me I don't buy any mobile device without expandable memory. When I move from device to device, I simply swap my memory card, which would have all of my music, videos, and pictures.

I mean, I'm sure most of you would be fine with cloud storage and relying on having reception and data coverage to have access to your files. I'm not.

And since it seems I still need this disclaimer:

"I can only speak for myself, I am in no way implying that my wants and needs are the standard and that you or anyone else should follow my example."
    06-23-17 04:55 PM
    Wow. From skimming through your off-putting responses to the legitimate concerns (and potential adverse impacts on buying decisions based on a lack of info from either TCL or BBRY) that have been expressed by otherwise loyal potential KeyONE purchasers, I almost assumed you are a one-man PR/marketing machine for TCL and/or BBRY. The problem is there is NO SPECIFIC INFO that has been forthcoming from either party relative to Android OS upgrades for KeyONE. Moreover, given TCL's poor prior consumer support history relative to such upgrades, the kind of "trust me" attitude regarding TCL that you are promoting is just not good enough. One more thing - while you continue opining about the licensing and support arrangements between BBRY and TCL, the simple fact is that unless you've read the actual terms and conditions of the licensing, support and ancillary documents signed by TCL and BBRY, any response you choose to make regarding the relative rights and obligations of those parties under those agreements must be considered to be unfounded but hopeful mere speculation. So here's the question: which, if any, of those documents have you perused, and what did they provide regarding OS upgrade support? Enquiring minds want to know.
    Well put sir!

Problem is... you're conversing with planted shills.
    06-23-17 05:02 PM
    Seriously, if you're not in it for the pkb, just get another phone, why is this even a discussion? lol
    Exactly. That's all the KEYone brings for me. Still have my Passport which I can use for email etc. If I choose. Was on the fence. But nah.
    06-23-17 05:06 PM
    Doing well for whom? For you maybe. For me I don't buy any mobile device without expandable memory. When I move from device to device, I simply swap my memory card, which would have all of my music, videos, and pictures.

I mean, I'm sure most of you would be fine with cloud storage and relying on having reception and data coverage to have access to your files. I'm not.

And since it seems I still need this disclaimer:

"I can only speak for myself, I am in no way implying that my wants and needs are the standard and that you or anyone else should follow my example."
    For me certainly not. I like having sd cards and I also use them to store music, videos and anything else I need.
    Some ppl choose to sacrifice this option and that is their right.
    06-23-17 05:09 PM
    For me certainly not. I like having sd cards and I also use them to store music, videos and anything else I need.
    Some ppl choose to sacrifice this option and that is their right.
    The larger onboard storage is, though, the less of a sting not having a SD card is.
    06-23-17 05:10 PM

Exactly!!

Some folks (including little johnny) just don't get it... reputation matters.

And when your name is on something... no amount of excusing it away with lectures on licensing agreements (which we already understand anyway)... no amount of excuses will change the fact... reputation matters!
    06-23-17 06:38 PM
    Exactly!!

Some folks (including little johnny) just don't get it... reputation matters.

And when your name is on something... no amount of excusing it away with lectures on licensing agreements (which we already understand anyway)... no amount of excuses will change the fact... reputation matters!
    Put a dollar value to the Priv not getting Nougat. I bet BlackBerry has.
    06-23-17 06:53 PM
175 ... 23456 ...