The problem is there is NO SPECIFIC INFO that has been forthcoming from either party relative to Android OS upgrades for KeyONE. Moreover, given TCL's poor prior consumer support history relative to such upgrades, the kind of "trust me" attitude regarding TCL that you are promoting is just not good enough.
    What TCL track record are you referring to? Alcatel? As you are most likely aware, the Alcatel brand is not marketed as secure Android, so its update history is not comparable and provides zero insight on what TCL plans for the KEYᵒⁿᵉ.

You are correct that TCL has not issued a press release regarding the length of its commitment to major updates and security patches. Not many companies do. But again, the absence of information, in and of itself, is not a good predictor.

My general point is that we are blazing a new trail here, and TCL is 100% calling the shots. We shouldn't let BlackBerry's history (good or bad) distract us from that truth.

The only thing I can argue as a potential predictor is that TCL has stated they are making a long term commitment to the brand, to enterprise, to security, and to the western world. That bodes well in my mind, but feel free to draw your own conclusions from that.
    06-22-17 04:57 PM
    The launch date of the KEYone just happened. I don't want "confrontation" nor do I want to be confrontational. I'm a positive person and enjoy BlackBerry physical keyboard smartphones, including and especially the KEYone.

BlackBerry has a relationship with TCL that is separate and independent of their other smartphone and flip phone devices. I'm not going to "fight" with anybody. I just want to be clear.

The best thing for me to do is love what is. Nougat on the KEYone. I find it to be very useful just like the PRIV, DTEK50/60, and BlackBerry 10. Same with BlackBerry 7.1 for some people.

I like software and OS updates. I don't want to waste my time speculating about negative possibilities when I could be enjoying life and the KEYone.
    06-22-17 05:29 PM
    Conite where you at brother.

Didn't you say nougat was the os that would make android as secure as bb10 loll
    I really don't have any input in this topic since I am as clueless as anyone else is about the future (except the CB psychics of course), but I can't resist anymore and my curiosity has gotten the better of me, so I have to ask. What does the 3rd L in loll stand for?
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    06-22-17 05:41 PM
    I really don't have any input in this topic since I am as clueless as anyone else is about the future (except the CB psychics of course), but I can't resist anymore and my curiosity has gotten the better of me, so I have to ask. What does the 3rd L in loll stand for?
    Dollar says third l is for "lushes"....
    06-22-17 06:16 PM
    That has nothing to do with what TCL will or won't do going forward.
    Well, to get over the skepticism or cynicism or yxz-ism, they could settle it easily. Announce their intention. Simple? Probably not. But since the secure OS is BB's expertise, it does bring up whether that esteemed SOFTWARE company, BB, is working on it? Certainly no one can use the Priv as an example of BB's advancing OS builds.
    chi-town311 likes this.
    06-22-17 06:30 PM
    Btw, here's something positive. I just posted this in another thread:

After a full day on the KEYᵒⁿᵉ:

17hrs 40mins of charge, including 9hrs 20mins Screen On Time.

All Google and BlackBerry services fully enabled, no Greenify or any other "battery saving" app.

Over 150 apps installed. Streamed music over mobile for over an hour, played Candy Crush for a while, and spent most of rest of the time typing, managing messages, and of course making many calls.
    06-22-17 06:49 PM
    That has nothing to do with what TCL will or won't do going forward.
    Its an yes and a no. TCL uses BlackBerry 's software now and previous models we talking about is manufactured by TCL as a trial for their license maybe and they should or may check if BlackBerry sticks to their word!
    And with BlackBerry, it ofcorz shows they cannot be trusted even with android. They keep ditching their customers!
    So to go good forward, both has to somehow sit and make it happen!

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.3.2205
    06-22-17 09:23 PM
    Its an yes and a no. TCL uses BlackBerry 's software now and previous models we talking about is manufactured by TCL as a trial for their license maybe and they should or may check if BlackBerry sticks to their word!
    And with BlackBerry, it ofcorz shows they cannot be trusted even with android. They keep ditching their customers!
    So to go good forward, both has to somehow sit and make it happen!

/blackberry-keyone-f445/blackberry-mobile-commitment-os-updates-1113120-post12935592/
    06-22-17 09:27 PM
    Yes...that is the case with the new models from keyone. But now we are discussing about old 3 android models which BlackBerry released in collaboration with TCL I guess? If TCL is planning for a long haul with blackdroid, I guess they should not let BlackBerry let down their customers atleast in the new route.

I don't have a PRIV or any dtek series, but I really think BlackBerry is doing wrong here again in supporting customers !

And I am really wondering how some people advocate them in every case! And I am totally sure, many from BlackBerry r watching and reading things or atleast knowing things that happens here and still they decide to shut their mouth which makes it even more disgusting!

06-22-17 09:47 PM

I don't have a PRIV or any dtek series, but I really think BlackBerry is doing wrong here again in supporting customers !

What BlackBerry did or does with their own devices has nothing to do with TCL. TCL was only a hardware vendor on the DTEKs - nothing more.

Now, BlackBerry is only a software and brand name vendor for TCL - nothing more.
    06-22-17 09:53 PM
    What BlackBerry did or does with their own devices has nothing to do with TCL. TCL was only a hardware vendor on the DTEKs - nothing more.

Now, BlackBerry is only a software and brand name vendor for TCL - nothing more.
    So does that mean you can stop shilling for them? You agreed to be an "ambassador" for BlackBerry, not TCL.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    06-22-17 10:02 PM
    The launch date of the KEYone just happened. I don't want "confrontation" nor do I want to be confrontational. I'm a positive person and enjoy BlackBerry physical keyboard smartphones, including and especially the KEYone.

BlackBerry has a relationship with TCL that is separate and independent of their other smartphone and flip phone devices. I'm not going to "fight" with anybody. I just want to be clear.

The best thing for me to do is love what is. Nougat on the KEYone. I find it to be very useful just like the PRIV, DTEK50/60, and BlackBerry 10. Same with BlackBerry 7.1 for some people.

I like software and OS updates. I don't want to waste my time speculating about negative possibilities when I could be enjoying life and the KEYone.
    Beautifully said.
    anon(10255518) likes this.
    06-22-17 10:05 PM
    So does that mean you can stop shilling for them? You agreed to be an "ambassador" for BlackBerry, not TCL.
    No, I agreed to be an Ambassador for Crackberry - an admitted fan site for the BlackBerry brand. However, my opinions are my own, and I am a volunteer.
    Last edited by conite; 06-22-17 at 10:17 PM.
    06-22-17 10:06 PM
    No, I agreed to be an Ambassador for Crackberry - an admitted fan site for the BlackBerry brand. However, my opinions are my own, and I am a volunteer.
    So what is your take on BlackBerry not providing software updates for 3 android phones they released?

AllanQuatermain likes this.
    06-22-17 10:50 PM
    So what is your take on BlackBerry not providing software updates for 3 android phones they released?

The Priv got the June update immediately. The DTEKs are still waiting, as I suspect all hands are on deck with the KEYᵒⁿᵉ release software and subsequent urgent bug fixes. That being said, I see no indication of DTEK updates ending anytime soon.
    06-22-17 10:53 PM
    The Priv got the June update immediately. The DTEKs are still waiting, as I suspect all hands are on deck with the KEYᵒⁿᵉ release software and subsequent urgent bug fixes. That being said, I see no indication of DTEK updates ending anytime soon.
    He's referring to OS updates, not monthly security patches.
    nuff_said likes this.
    06-23-17 12:11 AM
    OS update doesn't go well with security. If you want a safe phone, all you should care is the security update. OS updates brings in looks of new features that sometime can become security threats
    New Android OS updates generally come with new Security Updates, so this doesn't make sense at all.
    06-23-17 12:22 AM
    I'm glad we were able to agree on the speculation part. Now, my real concern is that people who would otherwise be attracted to the KeyONE won't take a chance because of the uncertainty regarding the OS upgrade path, if there even is any. Less sales means more opportunity for TCL to ignore further KeyONE-type developments in favor of more popular phones in its portfolio. Unless TCL has committed to minimum royalty payments and/or minimum sales milestones under its BBRY agreements (circumstances no one here is privy to), then the pivot to in-house phones with more potential becomes more attractive than dealing with disappointing KeyONE sales and support.
    In all the BlackBerry Androids, is the PRIV the only one that ever had a OS update done? I think it went from Lollipop to Marshmallow and was dropped right there.

Maybe the K1 will be the same, get O and that's it, if it's lucky.
    06-23-17 12:26 AM
    Trying to play blind? Guess u clearly understood we are speaking about nougat for all the 3. At least that is what I am thinking of!

06-23-17 12:48 AM
    But as usual ask the average Joe/Jane Android what version of O.S. he or she is on they'll say Samsung or LG.
    Yes but we're not average as far as this stuff goes.
    06-23-17 12:56 AM
    Yeah that's the main reason I am thinking I will not get a KEYone. From here out it's Google phones or even iPhone for me. I love the pixel getting the newest OS. I am already on O. And I have most of the BlackBerry apps to boot. Just no PKB. Which is fine.
    06-23-17 12:59 AM
    I would say that every new version of Android gets more secure. Absolutely. Monthly patches, however, are still critical for closing holes - which will exist on any flavour of Android.
    Well there's a reason why corporations and even BB "doesn't like" OS updates... it's because they tend to introduce new features which much be tested to make sure they don't present security risks.
    06-23-17 03:26 AM
    It's rather simple with Android updates, either you get a Pixel or an older Nexus device that will get at least O or get the new Pixels when they are released. There is always the iPhone so all in all I don't see why make a big deal out of it when companies like Samsung, LG, Sony and Motorola have issues pushing a new OS update and take a good amount of time before updating a particular line of phones. If companies like this have issues imagine what BB is facing with their track record
    If BB will not update the Priv and DTEK to N and update K1 only to O and nothing beyond that, then they will fail in the mobile market altogether because no one wants to buy a phone that receives an OS update extremely late or only one iteration aside from the one with which it was released.
    As much as I like the K1, it will be my last BB phone if they fail to update it beyond O or take to much time to do the update and I honestly consider spiking all future BB phones if the Priv won't get N.
    Nowadays getting an OS update should be the first thing a buyer considers when getting a new phone, but that is probably the last thing buyers consider.
    As a side note why do you think that some Chinese phone companies managed to push OS updates before big names like the ones mentioned above? Because it's the only way they can stay relevant on the market, otherwise they will disappear from the market in a few years when buyers realize that they are stuck on the same 2 year old OS while others have the latest on 2 year old phones.
    06-23-17 04:14 AM
    Trying to play blind? Guess u clearly understood we are speaking about nougat for all the 3. At least that is what I am thinking of!

I misunderstood.

As it stands, the Priv got the promised update, and the fate of the DTEKs remain unknown.
    06-23-17 06:31 AM
    I misunderstood.

As it stands, the Priv got the promised update, and the fate of the DTEKs remain unknown.
    Ok. But I thought BlackBerry said all their safety controls would be complete in Nougat and hence all their phones would get nougat!

06-23-17 07:43 AM
175 12345 ...