So, once the phone is built...the fact it's "secure" has nothing to do with TCL. It simply doesn't matter that it is their first Blackberry. It is just going to be a business decision.
    I don't think you've been following.

BlackBerry is simply a vendor to TCL, and is obligated to provide updates for as long as TCL has contracted them to do so.

Therefore TCL is/has ultimately decided how long its customers will receive updates.
    06-22-17 03:48 PM
    If that was true, they'd have come out and said that O is planned for the K1. Either during product reveal or since then.

Nokia and HTC want to rebuild their brands and they've already come out and said their newer phones will be getting O.

Talking the talk isn't the same as walking the walk.

TCL needs to shut up and put up. Put the money where their mouth is.
    So they were supposed to come out on the product reveal to talk about O when it wasn't even out the door yet with N? Sheesh!

Posted via CB10
    06-22-17 03:51 PM
    So they were supposed to come out on the product reveal to talk about O when it wasn't even out the door yet with N? Sheesh!

Posted via CB10
    Uh yeah, that's what HTC did.
    06-22-17 03:52 PM

BlackBerry is simply a vendor to TCL, and is obligated to provide updates for as long as TCL has contracted them to do so.

Therefore TCL is/has ultimately decided how long its customers will receive updates.
    Once people have in their head to "win the argument " facts like these just fly over people's head.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-17 03:53 PM
    Bahahaha PRIV didn't even get N.

Anyone who thinks the K1 is going to get O, well I got a piece of land on the moon to sell you.
    Lol does it have a view?

Posted via CB10
    06-22-17 03:53 PM

So basically you just re worded what I said in greater detail.

My point all along is that there is no new update complication here as far as development goes . It's just a matter as to how much they want to pay BlackBerry.
    06-22-17 03:55 PM
    But as usual ask the average Joe/Jane Android what version of O.S. he or she is on they'll say Samsung or LG.
    06-22-17 04:03 PM
    So basically you just re worded what I said in greater detail.

My point all along is that there is no new update complication here as far as development goes . It's just a matter as to how much they want to pay BlackBerry.
    Huh?

The initial proposition was:
    "Based upon BlackBerry and TCL's history of updating their phones, you cannot safely assume the KEYone will get O."

I responded by saying TCL is NOT BlackBerry and has NO history of delivering a secure Android device, so there is NO way to predict the future of its updates. It's a whole new ballgame.

To which you started to talk about BlackBerry again.
    06-22-17 04:06 PM
    It's definitely something to consider because of the lack of progress and communication with the Priv and DTEK line. In this case I think you can safely assume that the KeyOne will get O, and nothing beyond that. The SOC is midrange and already has been out over a year. It probably wouldn't be able to even support anything beyond that.
    Mmm yea I'll play devils advocate and remind people nougat launched Summer 2016.

Dtek60 their flagship in November 2016.

Exact same assumptions..

I realize this is a different company doing the keyone BUT BlackBerry is still involved in one way loll

So I wouldn't make any assumptions about stuff like that anymore lollq
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    06-22-17 04:11 PM
    Huh?

The initial proposition was:
    "Based upon BlackBerry and TCL's history of updating their phones, you cannot safely assume the KEYone will get O."

I responded by saying TCL is NOT BlackBerry and has NO history of delivering a secure Android device, so there is NO way to predict the future of its updates. It's a whole new ballgame.

To which you started to talk about BlackBerry again.
    Right that's true to an extent.

But you have no idea about the details about their arrangement either loll

Sure you cannot use the past to predict the future since it is TCL and not BlackBerry, but it's a safer bet to not expect android O than it is to expect it.

It is an assumption on your part that TCL dictates how long and how many os updates their phones will get. We don't know the details of their arrangement at all.

Ie. Don't buy the keyone thinking it will get O
    06-22-17 04:14 PM
    And I responded originally to "TCL's first secure BlackBerry android", which I simply stated that "secure BlackBerry" was irrelevant to TCL's decision making here.

It's just another phone to them under new branding. The decision is entirely a business one as they have no new software considerations on their end to worry about.

I don't know what so hard to understand. Either they pay BlackBerry to develop "O" and care about the brand, or they've thrown in the towel already.
    Mmm yea I'll play devils advocate and remind people nougat launched Summer 2016.

Dtek60 their flagship in November 2016.
    Be fair. The LG V20 was the first non-Pixel to ship with Nougat - and that was well into October (the 28th). Others didn't come until quite a bit later.

DTEK60 was released before the LG.
    BlackBerry wouldn't have signed a contract to have their phones built by TCL and then abandon them. What would be the point? Don't speculate bad news.

Regardless, does a person actually believe their Android Nougat device will somehow become useless because it's not running Android O? Your PRIV and DETEK devices are still useful unless a person somehow thinks their basic needs have evolved just because a new OS version is available or not available.

My good and productive friend and neighbor is still using his Note 4. Three years now.
    06-22-17 04:18 PM
    BlackBerry wouldn't have signed a contract to have their phones built by TCL.
    Again, just to be clear: TCL is building devices and has paid BlackBerry simply to supply them with the OS and the brand name.

Frankly, it's probably one of the cheapest components to go into the phones.
    06-22-17 04:20 PM
    BlackBerry wouldn't have signed a contract to have their phones built by TCL and then abandon them. What would be the point? Don't speculate bad news.

Regardless, does a person actually believe their Android Nougat device will somehow become useless because it's not running Android O? Your PRIV and DETEK devices are still useful unless a person somehow thinks their basic needs have evolved just because a new OS version is available or not available.

My good and productive friend and neighbor is still using his Note 4. Three years now.
    Thank you

Posted via CB10
    anon(10255518) likes this.
    06-22-17 04:23 PM
    I know what the relationship between BlackBerry and TCL is about.
    06-22-17 04:23 PM
    I know what the relationship between BlackBerry and TCL is about.
    I understand. But clearly, not everybody here does. I just wanted to clarify.
    anon(10255518) likes this.
    06-22-17 04:24 PM
    OS update doesn't go well with security. If you want a safe phone, all you should care is the security update. OS updates brings in looks of new features that sometime can become security threats
    06-22-17 04:25 PM
    I understand. But clearly, not everybody here does. I just wanted to clarify.
    No worries at all. Thanks for your reply.
    06-22-17 04:25 PM
    OS update doesn't go well with security. If you want a safe phone, all you should care is the security update. OS updates brings in looks of new features that sometime can become security threats
    Very true. But when O promises huge gains in RAM management and your "Flagship" has only 3GB..........it's probably a necessary move for a device longevity.
    chain13 likes this.
    06-22-17 04:28 PM
    Wow. From skimming through your off-putting responses to the legitimate concerns (and potential adverse impacts on buying decisions based on a lack of info from either TCL or BBRY) that have been expressed by otherwise loyal potential KeyONE purchasers, I almost assumed you are a one-man PR/marketing machine for TCL and/or BBRY. The problem is there is NO SPECIFIC INFO that has been forthcoming from either party relative to Android OS upgrades for KeyONE. Moreover, given TCL's poor prior consumer support history relative to such upgrades, the kind of "trust me" attitude regarding TCL that you are promoting is just not good enough. One more thing - while you continue opining about the licensing and support arrangements between BBRY and TCL, the simple fact is that unless you've read the actual terms and conditions of the licensing, support and ancillary documents signed by TCL and BBRY, any response you choose to make regarding the relative rights and obligations of those parties under those agreements must be considered to be unfounded but hopeful mere speculation. So here's the question: which, if any, of those documents have you perused, and what did they provide regarding OS upgrade support? Enquiring minds want to know.
    chi-town311 likes this.
    06-22-17 04:29 PM
    Conite where you at brother.

Didn't you say nougat was the os that would make android as secure as bb10 loll
    06-22-17 04:33 PM
    Wow. From skimming through your off-putting responses to the legitimate concerns (and potential adverse impacts on buying decisions based on a lack of info from either TCL or BBRY) that have been expressed by otherwise loyal potential KeyONE purchasers, I almost assumed you are a one-man PR/marketing machine for TCL and/or BBRY. The problem is there is NO SPECIFIC INFO that has been forthcoming from either party relative to Android OS upgrades for KeyONE. Moreover, given TCL's poor prior consumer support history relative to such upgrades, the kind of "trust me" attitude regarding TCL that you are promoting is just not good enough. One more thing - while you continue opining about the licensing and support arrangements between BBRY and TCL, the simple fact is that unless you've read the actual terms and conditions of the licensing, support and ancillary documents signed by TCL and BBRY, any response you choose to make regarding the relative rights and obligations of those parties under those agreements must be considered to be unfounded but hopeful mere speculation. So here's the question: which, if any, of those documents have you perused, and what did they provide regarding OS upgrade support? Enquiring minds want to know.
    None. And I've posted nothing but pure speculation on my part. I haven't seen anyone else claim to "know from a secret source" as well unlike the tens of threads on these boards.
    06-22-17 04:35 PM
    Conite where you at brother.

Didn't you say nougat was the os that would make android as secure as bb10 loll
    I would say that every new version of Android gets more secure. Absolutely. Monthly patches, however, are still critical for closing holes - which will exist on any flavour of Android.
    06-22-17 04:46 PM
    I'm glad we were able to agree on the speculation part. Now, my real concern is that people who would otherwise be attracted to the KeyONE won't take a chance because of the uncertainty regarding the OS upgrade path, if there even is any. Less sales means more opportunity for TCL to ignore further KeyONE-type developments in favor of more popular phones in its portfolio. Unless TCL has committed to minimum royalty payments and/or minimum sales milestones under its BBRY agreements (circumstances no one here is privy to), then the pivot to in-house phones with more potential becomes more attractive than dealing with disappointing KeyONE sales and support.
    Nathan Conley and chi-town311 like this.
    06-22-17 04:47 PM
175 1234 ...