With a physical keyboard exposed all the time, it's obvious that the size of the screen will be smaller than 5.4 inches (which is in my opinion the perfect screen size).

IF they actually keep a 5.4" display AND you add a PKB, the device is going to be too big

-I don't want less than 5.4" for the display
    -I don't want a huge device either

The common aspect ratios are:
    -4:3
    -3:2
    -8:5
    -5:3
    -16:9

YouTube uses 16:9
    You can be sure BlackBerry Mercury's aspect ratio is going to be 5:3 at best
    Last edited by Villard Defender; 11-11-16 at 10:26 AM.
    ollyberry likes this.
    11-11-16 10:15 AM
    Then get a Priv. What's the problem?
    11-11-16 10:20 AM
    With a physical keyboard exposed all the time, it's obvious that the size of the screen will be smaller than 5.4 inches (which is in my opinion the perfect screen size).

IF they actually keep a 5.4" display AND you add a PKB, the device is going to be too big

-I don't want less than 5.4" for the display
    -I don't want a huge device either
    Very personal thing. If don't like what is offered don't buy. Leave it for those who are wanting this kind of thing :-)
    11-11-16 10:22 AM
    That's why hardly anybody likes keyboard phones - it's not that everyone loves virtual keyboards, but they allow for bigger screens, reasonably sized devices, and no moving parts to wear out.
    11-11-16 10:25 AM
    Then get a Priv. What's the problem?
    AMEN!
    The "problem" is that I was actually tempted by the Mercury but the aspect ratio is turning me down which makes the PRIV the perfect device
    11-11-16 10:27 AM
    AMEN!
    The "problem" is that I was actually tempted by the Mercury but the aspect ratio is turning me down which makes the PRIV the perfect device
    You have to make that sacrifice if you want the always there keyboard. A keyboard beneath a screen the size of the Priv would not only extremely weird but would also be extremely inconvenient to use.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Barbareren likes this.
    11-11-16 10:58 AM
    AMEN!
    What are you tempted by if you don't even like its form factor?

You have to make that sacrifice if you want the always there keyboard. A keyboard beneath a screen the size of the Priv would not only extremely weird but would also be extremely inconvenient to use.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    And that's why sliders are the best thing ever, so you don't have to make any sacrifices.
    11-11-16 11:36 AM
    You mentioned that if they keep a 5.4" screen and a PKB, the phone will be too big. But you "I don't want less than 5.4" for the display and I don't want a huge device either", but how can you have both? You have to be willing to give up something or as others have mentioned, the Priv is already out and meets what you want/needs.

If the Priv doesn't fit you, then you will either need to pick a PKB with a smaller screen (like it normally is) or a VKB with the bigger screen that you want.

This phone isn't even released yet or that we know anything about it and people are already saying that they want this and that, the price better not be too high or whatever the case may be. But let BB release the phone and the consumers will buy what they want.

Look at all the iPhone users, they want all of these features on the phone, but nothing has really changed since the first iPhone, except that they made some bigger phones, added a few features here and there and people are still willing to pay over $1,000 for the phone.

Pick a phone that meets your needs based on what is released. If we don't continue to support them, they won't "listen" since no one is buying the phones. BB doesn't have the market share or money to advertise and go to the carriers for support. The (small) fan base needs to do the advertising for them to help them with any type of market share growth.....if any at all. But what it comes down to, is buy a phone that meets your needs and not what others think is best for you and who cares what people think about what phone you use.

For me, I'm excited for this new PKB phone, whenever it is to be released, because I have been wanting to go back to a PKB and it will be different from everything else that is out there.
    11-11-16 11:44 AM
    A all on PKB needs good ergonomics. The users of these phones value the PKB more than the screen length. The width of the phone is very important. If it were me, I would prefer a phone that would be no wider than a Classic. The screen could be taller - 4:3.
    keyboardweeb, pooyam and Biggles like this.
    11-11-16 11:59 AM
    I'll Buy it, just keep adding to my collection
    awindsr likes this.
    11-11-16 12:00 PM

And that's why sliders are the best thing ever, so you don't have to make any sacrifices.
    But the sliders have terrible keyboards.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    11-11-16 12:15 PM
    I'm happy Bla1ze thinks the BlackBerry PRIV keyboard is fantastic
    11-11-16 12:26 PM
    A all on PKB needs good ergonomics. The users of these phones value the PKB more than the screen length. The width of the phone is very important. If it were me, I would prefer a phone that would be no wider than a Classic. The screen could be taller - 4:3.
    Of course, but I think people that are willing to trade screen estate for an "always there" PKB are even more rare than those that would want a slide-out keyboard.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    I can't agree with this. I was able to type 50 WPM without looking at the keyboard with close to zero errors on Priv after owning it for two days. Literally. Same with my previous sliders, HTC Touch Pro (which had a keyboard close to Priv's in size) and HTC Desire Z.

And my thumbs are relatively fat, as I am somewhat fat myself.
    jimmy zamalot likes this.
    11-11-16 12:40 PM
    You mentioned that if they keep a 5.4" screen and a PKB, the phone will be too big. But you "I don't want less than 5.4" for the display and I don't want a huge device either", but how can you have both? You have to be willing to give up something or as others have mentioned, the Priv is already out and meets what you want/needs.

For me, I'm excited for this new PKB phone, whenever it is to be released, because I have been wanting to go back to a PKB and it will be different from everything else that is out there.
    I think it's a case of being stuck between a rock and a hard place. We want big screens but portable devices

I'm also really excited. Going to be so special. I definitely feel there is going to be a small launch event for it. Like the Passport had

Posted via BlackBerry Leap (Crackberry Edition)
    11-11-16 12:57 PM
    Guessing a longer Classic, a keyboard much smaller than that would be cramped. People wanting an always-there keyboard already made a choice of having a smaller screen.

Posted via CB10
    pooyam and Avenzuno like this.
    11-11-16 01:00 PM
    That was my first Android - LG Optimus Pro C660 with a 4:3 aspect ratio
    BlackBerry Mercury's display will be smaller than the PRIV no thanks...-lg-optimus-pro-1.jpg
    but you're right since I have an issue with the form factor nowadays (because of how the aspect ratio changed over time) I shouldn't be tempted lol

I guess nostalgia tempted me to be more accurate
    Last edited by Villard Defender; 11-11-16 at 01:41 PM.
    11-11-16 01:31 PM
    The answer is to put the PKB on the back to avoid cutting into display real estate.

Blackberry, call me
    pooyam, Menage, tp2386 and 2 others like this.
    11-11-16 01:50 PM
    11-11-16 01:54 PM
    The answer is to put the PKB on the back to avoid cutting into display real estate.

Blackberry, call me
    lol so much for blind typing

Posted via CB10
    11-11-16 02:05 PM
    BlackBerry Mercury's display will be smaller than the PRIV no thanks...-images.jpg

An NV callback, perhaps. A form factor upon which we can all agree, lol.
    Villard Defender likes this.
    11-11-16 02:14 PM
    I think it's a case of being stuck between a rock and a hard place. We want big screens but portable devices

I'm also really excited. Going to be so special. I definitely feel there is going to be a small launch event for it. Like the Passport had

Posted via BlackBerry Leap (Crackberry Edition)
    Oh I totally understand what you are saying, but it's difficult to have both those things and sooner or later, someone needs to realize what is more important to them; screen real estate or the PKB.

I wish they would plan for a worldwide launch event, even if it's small, but to send out shipments of phones to all the places that would sell the phone, so they could announce it and then sales can all begin to sell on the same day. Instead of their slow worldwide roll outs, where parts of the world are left wondering where their BB phones are. When they plan to sell phones, they are already manufactured, so send them to Europe, Asia, India, Australia, all over North and South America and just anywhere else that BB would like to sell the phone and sell small batches all at once, instead of waiting. Even if it is only 5-10 phones per location, it's better then nothing, create a small buzz and demand for the phone. People want something more when they can't have it and they know that it could be purchased.

I'm looking forward to the phone and hope to hear more news in the coming weeks.
    11-11-16 02:45 PM
    If the Mercury is not priced at 99$ then it's not for me. Just wanted everybody know about my preference.

Just kidding. Instabuy!!

Posted via CB10
    11-11-16 03:25 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpg 
Views:	1735 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	411913

An NV callback, perhaps. A form factor upon which we can all agree, lol.
    If someone would make a similar keyboard accessory that you could attach to any phone, and have a locking/ratcheting mechanism to hold the screen up so you could use it without a table or other surface to put it on, I'd be all over it. Landscape PKB is just fine by me.

Posted on my Model M
    11-11-16 03:29 PM
    So what screen size are we talking about, then? In my view, ideally I'd like to see the screen at least 5", and likely 5.2". Anyone know how these sized screens fit the desired aspect ratio, and which can pair up best with the Classic's PKB?

Posted via CB10 from my 100-4 Classic on at&t
    hoangphuong00 likes this.
    11-11-16 03:43 PM
    So what screen size are we talking about, then? In my view, ideally I'd like to see the screen at least 5", and likely 5.2". Anyone know how these sized screens fit the desired aspect ratio, and which can pair up best with the Classic's PKB?
    Most of the rumored specifications for Mercury have it as a 4.5 inch screen with a 3:2 (1.5) aspect ratio, but a 4:3 (1.33) screen is also possible.
    Bbnivende and Avenzuno like this.
    11-11-16 04:23 PM
197 123 ...