I phrased it that way as an inside joke. Figuring the market they are targeting wouldn't know what RIM is or was. Fresh branding if you will. And then you go and blow my ruse...not that it was a good one.
    I'm the pahty poopar *Arnold accent*

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Tim-ANC and PALoeza like this.
    01-30-17 11:41 AM
    Lessons learned are like bridges burned...
    You only need to cross them but once!

WOW!
    Such negativity!
    You want it to succeed, yet you shoot it down without giving it another chance!
    Maybe a little encouragement could help to get it right this time.
    01-30-17 11:47 AM
    I'm the pahty poopar *Arnold accent*

and you a punny muddah puckah (Jackie accent)
    01-30-17 11:52 AM
    NO SB Commercial! Spend ad dollars more wisely! We ALL know how the last one went!
    01-30-17 12:04 PM
    I phrased it that way as an inside joke. Figuring the market they are targeting wouldn't know what RIM is or was. Fresh branding if you will. And then you go and blow my ruse...not that it was a good one.
    RIM is an AWESOME name! I mean who doesn't want to RIM a bit, right?.........oh wait.....

for those who don't get this, don't look it up, you most likely won't like what you see, LOL
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    01-30-17 12:05 PM
    RIM is an AWESOME name! I mean who doesn't want to RIM a bit, right?.........oh wait.....

for those who don't get this, don't look it up, you most likely won't like what you see, LOL
    Someone bring back Alex from 2008! The company is called BlackBerry now! lol
    01-30-17 12:12 PM
    It might be, provided it's TCL doing the ad work and not BlackBerry.

No more of this:

Ugh. I don't even want to open the link. Pretty sure I know what it links to.

Posted via CB10
    Ugh. I remember that ad.

Posted via CB10
    Yep. Hard to forget.
    Maybe it's because I'm European and aren't an English native speaker, but what exactly is so bad about this commercial?? I don't get it why this commercial was/is perceived as bad marketing?? Now if y'all were talking about the creepy Horror advertisements for the Priv, I would understand LOL.
    01-30-17 01:14 PM
    Maybe it's because I'm European and aren't an English native speaker, but what exactly is so bad about this commercial?? I don't get it why this commercial was/is perceived as bad marketing?? Now if y'all were talking about the creepy Horror advertisements for the Priv, I would understand LOL.
    Advertising is effective if it tells people that a product exists that fulfills a need or improves the public's perception about a brand. This commercial inexplicably showed nothing about the product, and did nothing to increase the brand image.
    01-30-17 01:26 PM
    Advertising is effective if it tells people that a product exists that fulfills a need or improves the public's perception about a brand. This commercial inexplicably showed nothing about the product, and did nothing to increase the brand image.
    What a Z10 on 10.0 can do wouldn't fill 30 seconds, so that's probably why they went the way they did.
    WT44 and Blacklatino like this.
    01-30-17 01:36 PM
    Well, BB just made a whole new OS that's completely different from BBOS, which by that time was already seen as outdated and obsolete. That commercial makes absolutely no mention of that. Everyone thought it was still the same old OS. Even years later when I show people my BB10 device they are shocked it's different from what they remember of BBOS...

WT44 likes this.
    01-30-17 02:21 PM
    What a Z10 on 10.0 can do wouldn't fill 30 seconds, so that's probably why they went the way they did.
    True, but at the very least they could have brought up that it's a whole new OS with all new features. A guy crowdsurfing across the screen says none of that... Just my opinion of course.

01-30-17 02:22 PM
    Please for the love of god, don't hire the same company that did the z10 ad.
    Hopefully TCL is paying for this?
    01-30-17 04:17 PM
    Everyone thought it was still the same old OS. Even years later when I show people my BB10 device they are shocked it's different from what they remember of BBOS...
    This, unfortunately, is so true.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-17 05:01 PM
    Spend the budget for a commercial during the super bowl on many more commercials during Primetime television. Make something catchy, show off the new Android OS and highlight the physical keyboard.

Also make sure you are able to put some carrier branding behind it so people know where to look for it.
    01-30-17 05:42 PM
    The most effective ads often are not informational but are aspirational. Think of a lot of the Apple ads. The problem with BlackBerry is that your product also has to be aspirational - more of an emotional choice. Also, Super Bowl ads need to be remarkable because in order to get your money's worth, it has to stand out and covered by the media.

At any rate, licensing the BlackBerry name for $10-$20 per unit isn't going to pay for any Super Bowl ads. Probably none at all, anywhere.
    01-30-17 06:32 PM
    The RIM BlackBerry Mercury made by TCL Running the Google and powered by Android...now that's an ad to remember.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-17 06:56 PM
    With that title I was expecting to see a new ads, lol, it's in fact good idea, any major event will attract a lot of public and consumers
    01-30-17 09:14 PM
    Licensing revenue of $20 per handset means that you have to sell 250,000 units to buy a 30 second ad and then you still haven't covered any other costs. It's ridiculous.
    01-30-17 09:29 PM
    Licensing revenue of $20 per handset means that you have to sell 250,000 units to buy a 30 second ad and then you still haven't covered any other costs. It's ridiculous.
    You're thinking BlackBerry is going to spend a lot of money to advertise a phone made and sold by TCL?
    01-30-17 10:43 PM
    It would be...

Gotta remember, BlackBerry = Software (John Chen, BB10/BBOS, QNX, Old School BlackBerry). BlackBerry Mobile = TCL/New Smartphones.

When it comes to new BB's like Mercury, it's BBMobile (TCL) that's taking the lead on promoting it and marketing it. BlackBerry supporting that partnership on the software/security front, but BBMobile in the driver's seat.

It might be, provided it's TCL doing the ad work and not BlackBerry.

No more of this:

pkcable likes this.
    01-30-17 11:21 PM
    Not going to happen, nor should it. Blackberry is terrible at both marketing and distribution; they'll probably have a few ads here and there but nothing that big.

Unfortunately it seems like they've given up anyways. The DTEK60 was the phone they needed to market. High end specs, reasonable cost, and immense security; if they had marketed that well and had distribution agreements in place (to sell through mobile providers) then Blackberry could have made some real money. Especially with all the Samsung troubles.

But they didn't really market at all and I've seen no mobile providers with the DTEK60. I imagine they'll do some ads for the Mercury as the last hoorah but it'll likely have lower specs and won't appeal to the mass market.
    01-31-17 12:08 AM
    Not going to happen, nor should it. Blackberry is terrible at both marketing and distribution; they'll probably have a few ads here and there but nothing that big.

Unfortunately it seems like they've given up anyways. The DTEK60 was the phone they needed to market. High end specs, reasonable cost, and immense security; if they had marketed that well and had distribution agreements in place (to sell through mobile providers) then Blackberry could have made some real money. Especially with all the Samsung troubles.

But they didn't really market at all and I've seen no mobile providers with the DTEK60. I imagine they'll do some ads for the Mercury as the last hoorah but it'll likely have lower specs and won't appeal to the mass market.
    As CrackBerry Kevin (welcome back!) pointed out, this time all marketing would be TCL's responsibility. This is most somethings BlackBerry has to pay out of their licence fees. Listening to TCL talk at CES, they have been spending huge amounts, I mean YUGE, they are really big amounts, they are yuge... (sorry carried away) and sponsoring pro sports, naming arenas and such, so I wouldn't be surprised to see something.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-17 12:36 AM
    It would be...

Gotta remember, BlackBerry = Software (John Chen, BB10/BBOS, QNX, Old School BlackBerry). BlackBerry Mobile = TCL/New Smartphones.

When it comes to new BB's like Mercury, it's BBMobile (TCL) that's taking the lead on promoting it and marketing it. BlackBerry supporting that partnership on the software/security front, but BBMobile in the driver's seat.
    I really hope TCL does a good job with marketing in that case... I remember four years ago at the launch (remember when they cut your hair?) that ad was actually relatively well received. I sold so many Z10 after the launch. Much of this was due to the commercial ... plus, I was damn good in sales.

Has TCL marketed any of its devices in North America? I have never seen a commercial/ad.
    01-31-17 07:33 AM
    It would be...

01-31-17 10:33 AM
    If they can also somehow show case the DTEK60 during the ad and get TCL to pay for most of it, it might be worthwhile.
    But if it's a dud like last time, it's just a waste of $5 million
    01-31-17 02:50 PM
57 123