While I like a new PKB BlackBerry, in my opinion, the screen is too large and the phone would seem, to me, to be top heavy.

I personally would like to see a Classic sized updated phone, or better yet (to me) a new device similar to the 99xx series. The 99xx was THE BEST BlackBerry every released...absolutely LOVED the curved keyboard, the build quality and the integration with BIS! Never going to see that again, but the data compression was GREAT!
    JD_CB and 1TIME like this.
    01-08-17 04:21 PM
    A 3:2 ratio screen is the minimum allowed by Google. So unless you want to make the keyboard a whole lot narrower, there is nothing more that can be done to make it smaller.

DTEK60 / Z30
    01-08-17 05:04 PM
    OK, thanks for the info, but at least to me from the pictures, it would seem a little "unwieldy", and top heavy...Guess that I just have to hold and use one.
    01-08-17 05:08 PM
    You have yet to try the phone, how can you know it's too heavy?
    CNX66 likes this.
    01-08-17 05:23 PM
    Everyone said that about the Priv also but look how it turned out.
    DiegoV_G and CNX66 like this.
    01-08-17 05:45 PM
    You have yet to try the phone, how can you know it's too heavy?
    Don't know, to me it just looks top heavy while typing, just my thought from the photos. As I said in my original post, guess that I just have to try one.
    01-08-17 05:55 PM
    Yep, they said that and I tried, and passed, on the Priv...not to my liking. Sorry.
    01-08-17 05:57 PM
    While I like a new PKB BlackBerry, in my opinion, the screen is too large and the phone would seem, to me, to be top heavy.

I personally would like to see a Classic sized updated phone, or better yet (to me) a new device similar to the 99xx series. The 99xx was THE BEST BlackBerry every released...absolutely LOVED the curved keyboard, the build quality and the integration with BIS! Never going to see that again, but the data compression was GREAT!
    Did we really need another new thread for this unrealistic wish that's been expressed a hundred times?
    DiegoV_G and CNX66 like this.
    01-08-17 07:00 PM
    Don't know, to me it just looks top heavy while typing, just my thought from the photos. As I said in my original post, guess that I just have to try one.
    Well your thoughts are probably wrong.
    My fav phone ever (in terms of weight balance) was the Javelin 8900/Bold 9900.
    I didn't liked the Classic (it felt like a brick: too heavy all together) and I don't like the Privs weight distribution. For me the latter is too big, too wide and too heavy (in my pocket and to use). Now, when you use the Priv with the slider closed, it's very manageable and the weight distribution is in perfect balance. But since I prefer the pkb I have to slide it open and the weight balance is all whack = Top heavy. You can only deal with this top-heaviness by holding the phone almost vertically, but I don't like to hold a phone that way and also it gives weird faces in public places and on public transportation where you see women thinking if I could be some kind of perv who takes photos secretly especially since I work on long .doc texts which thus brings me to constantly hold it vertically while working on those files. So, I actually prefer not to use my phone to work on texts in public places. I prefer to text and hold the device almost horizontally.
    The reason I think you're wrong about the Merc is, is that its about as tall as the Priv is when its closed:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l#post12723149 Additionally, it seems less wide when watching the yt vids and pics on CB.
    Since the Priv is, as said, well balanced and totally not top-heavy when closed, I think we might be lucky with this new upcoming smartphone.

P.S. Why the generic thread title? Why don't you change it to something which doesn't need opening to know what its about, e.g. "Do you think the Mercury will be top heavy?".
    Last edited by WT44; 01-08-17 at 07:15 PM.
    CNX66 likes this.
    01-08-17 07:04 PM
    I think the Mercury is going to be just fine. The large battery will even out the weight distribution.
    FF22, CNX66 and xs27 like this.
    01-08-17 08:51 PM
    Well your thoughts are probably wrong.
    My fav phone ever (in terms of weight balance) was the Javelin 8900/Bold 9900.
    I didn't liked the Classic (it felt like a brick: too heavy all together) and I don't like the Privs weight distribution. For me the latter is too big, too wide and too heavy (in my pocket and to use). Now, when you use the Priv with the slider closed, it's very manageable and the weight distribution is in perfect balance. But since I prefer the pkb I have to slide it open and the weight balance is all whack = Top heavy. You can only deal with this top-heaviness by holding the phone almost vertically, but I don't like to hold a phone that way and also it gives weird faces in public places and on public transportation where you see women thinking if I could be some kind of perv who takes photos secretly especially since I work on long .doc texts which thus brings me to constantly hold it vertically while working on those files. So, I actually prefer not to use my phone to work on texts in public places. I prefer to text and hold the device almost horizontally.
    The reason I think you're wrong about the Merc is, is that its about as tall as the Priv is when its closed:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l#post12723149 Additionally, it seems less wide when watching the yt vids and pics on CB.
    Since the Priv is, as said, well balanced and totally not top-heavy when closed, I think we might be lucky with this new upcoming smartphone.

P.S. Why the generic thread title? Why don't you change it to something which doesn't need opening to know what its about, e.g. "Do you think the Mercury will be top heavy?".
    Hey, thanks for the quote and response...just my impression from the images...which are still not of the final device. And if my thoughts are "probably wrong" I will admit that I was wrong after the device is released and I have had a chance to try it.

One of my favorites was the 9900 which had great weight and balance. I use the Classic and like the weight...feels like a premium device...never used a Priv...had one slider and it was not to my liking.

Hey we all have opinions.

Cheers
    01-09-17 05:31 PM
    Did we really need another new thread for this unrealistic wish that's been expressed a hundred times?
    My apologies for offending you.
    01-09-17 05:32 PM
    They could put the heavy components, battery, perhaps, lower down. Or a helium chamber up higher
    Sigewif and Frehley like this.
    01-10-17 12:27 AM

I've seen people use a "loop" on big phones and small phablets. Some are built into a skin case and other just slip around, like "ninja loop". Looks neat, fixes any top heaviness that may or may not be there, would work for BB also :-)
    Frehley likes this.
    01-10-17 04:56 AM

Badly? With another sales flop that users rejected?
    01-10-17 08:20 AM
    Badly? With another sales flop that users rejected?
    True enough, but to the point it was actually well balanced for typing when open.
    Edrian Villa likes this.
    01-10-17 08:34 AM
    True enough, but to the point it was actually well balanced for typing when open.
    I have a PRIV and am amazed at how well balanced it is. I use the PKB for nearly all of my typing. I have had tendon injuries to my thumbs and they are still a bit weak. Even with that weakness it has not been hard to balance and handle the PRIV. I believe the Mercury will balance well, too. I just am not sure I want to give up the large screen on the PRIV. The Mercury will have to have the latest and greatest flagship specs for that to happen. Maybe there will be a midrange and a high end version like the DTEK phones.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-10-17 10:01 AM
    A 3:2 ratio screen is the minimum allowed by Google. So unless you want to make the keyboard a whole lot narrower, there is nothing more that can be done to make it smaller.

DTEK60 / Z30
    Do we know how wide the Mercury is?

Posted via CB10
    01-10-17 10:09 AM
    I have a PRIV and am amazed at how well balanced it is. I use the PKB for nearly all of my typing. I have had tendon injuries to my thumbs and they are still a bit weak. Even with that weakness it has not been hard to balance and handle the PRIV. I believe the Mercury will balance well, too. I just am not sure I want to give up the large screen on the PRIV. The Mercury will have to have the latest and greatest flagship specs for that to happen. Maybe there will be a midrange and a high end version like the DTEK phones.
    I agree the priv is balanced fine once you learn the best way to hold it. No need to hold it vertical. I use mine wih the pkb a lot and like it.
    01-10-17 10:11 AM
    OK, thanks for the info, but at least to me from the pictures, it would seem a little "unwieldy", and top heavy...Guess that I just have to hold and use one.
    i thought initially if it is large ratio, it might be not weight balanced. however, after i saw the digital trend video, looks just right for the one hand operation (no time it look like the phone was going to flip out of the guy"s hand - with one hnad operation). Let me know what you think after view the link: BlackBerry 'Mercury' Upcoming Android Flagship First Impressions | Digital Trends
    01-10-17 10:20 AM
    I didn't like the Priv because when stretched out it was hard to use the PKB, which IMO was buried in that slider mechanism. The keys are short compared with the Classic, and I didn't like the squishy feel. I'm hoping that the Mercury will be an improvement over the Priv and will be the closest thing we ever get to a Classic PKB.
    01-10-17 10:22 AM
    They should ask TCL or another company to release an updated Bold running updated BBOS or BB10. People will buy it (not many, but some will). And you can have any screen res you like.
    BBDav_10 likes this.
    01-10-17 10:49 AM
    Do we know how wide the Mercury is?

Posted via CB10
    Narrower than the DTEK60 is what Bla1ze said.
    01-10-17 11:17 AM
    They should ask TCL or another company to release an updated Bold running updated BBOS or BB10. People will buy it (not many, but some will). And you can have any screen res you like.
    And at $5000 each, they will fly off the shelves.
    01-10-17 11:18 AM
    The title of this topic is wrong. Please change 'heavy' to 'notch'.

Thanks in advance!
    01-10-17 11:27 AM
57 123