They admitted that launching a high end device at a high end price was a mistake - not that they tried to bilk the consumer.

BlackBerry clearly knew they could not deliver hardware at a reasonable price due to economies of scale, so they went to TCL to build the DTEKs.

Are you suggesting that TCL, a company with a history of selling low cost devices, and who desperately want to make inroads into NA and the corporate space, are intentionally overpricing the KEYᵒⁿᵉ?

Could it not simply be that a low volume run of custom components simply costs more?
    Come on, we all know TCL intentionally made the K1 overpriced, then intentionally delayed it, all just to **** people off, because that's what companies do to make money...
    krazyatom likes this.
    06-23-17 05:22 PM
    You guys think oneplus 5 cost more money to manufacture than TCL Keyone?
    Slapping a slab of glass onto a slab of plastic? Doubtful...
    06-23-17 05:23 PM
    Come on, we all know TCL intentionally made the K1 overpriced, then intentionally delayed it, all just to **** people off, because that's what companies do to make money...
    It's called marketing strategy!
    06-23-17 05:23 PM
    I will get a 8gb ram model. I think oneplus is also a niche phone like Keyone so manufacturing cost was probably very high but I do not know how they made the phone cheaper than Keyone.
    How is it a niche phone? It's a rectangle slab of glass. That's all the rage now...
    krazyatom likes this.
    06-23-17 05:24 PM
    Even at $550. It may have custom parts but in no way revolutionary to up-charge.

Time will tell once we see the secondary market or discounts. But my feeling is they will continue producing low volumes to avoid that scenario.
    Always good to know if I ever have questions regarding manufacturing we have so many experts here to turn to. Love CB.
    06-23-17 05:26 PM
    The OnePlus fans on the OnePlus forum are very very very very very very very very very very very disappointed with the 5...
    But they are likely like us here. Overly critical of the device their forum is for, lol. Maybe people not part of that community would be happy with it. :-)
    06-23-17 05:29 PM
    Nowhere near a niche device like the KeyOne. The KeyOne is the only recently released Android phone with a physical keyboard. That makes it a niche device. What qualifies the OnePlus 5 a niche/specialty device? It is a fairly typical Android slab. Similar specs as numerous other high end Android devices. Its differentiator is it's price. That doesn't make it a niche device though. It makes it competitive economically.
    Exactly.
    06-23-17 05:30 PM
    How is it a niche phone? It's a rectangle slab of glass. That's all the rage now...
    It has boot loader unlocked right out of the box! It's custom rom friendly device so it's not for everyone. No other company is using 8gb ram for smartphone. It's just not for everyone.
    06-23-17 05:31 PM
    Those specs are pretty useless for your phone. My home PC has 8gb of RAM and I game on that thing... It's really only useful if you are in desperate need to have a self-esteem boost so you start comparing your specs with someone else... If I didn't care about the pkb I probably would have went with a Moto G5 Plus. Fast enough to do everything I need it to do, good battery life, and under $250...

But for me, how I interface with the phone is infinitely more important that how many gigaflops the flux capacitor has because at the end of the day, however many milliseconds you gained from your super computer cpu launching clash of clans faster, you lose by having to search for icons through endless pages of icons while on the KEYone all of my most used apps are just one keystroke away.

Not to mention how much time you lose looking for an outlet because your battery is about to die after powering autocorrect to max to fix all of the typos you made typing on that vkb...
    Know facts that Android the way OS is designed will not use 8gb of RAM. It will reach a certain level re think around 5gb and then just close apps. So this extra RAM basically paying for something that on paper sounds great but not needed.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-17 05:32 PM
    It's from a nobody Chinese OEM and is specifically aimed at enthusiasts. Not as niche as the KEYone, but not exactly a Samsung either.
    06-23-17 05:33 PM
    I'd rather get One Plus 3T. Save money and better design. Rest of the specs are that big of difference.

If you don't want a PKB and battery, then it's a good choice
    When I read the specs of that phone I immediately think the phone will have terrible battery life. Now I wonder how fast and lag free the user experience will make you happy while you're tethered to a wall outlet...
    06-23-17 05:33 PM
    The sd820 is better it's not subjective it's quantifiable. Comparing a sd650 to a sd820 is like comparing a Honda fit to a McLaren. The G5 doesn't have a issue with boot loops it's the previous generation lg 's have bad logic boards. I am a regular on the LG boards the V20, G5, and G6 don't have the same issue.
    Um, it's quantifiable in terms of speed. Is it better in energy usage? No? Well, what if you care more about battery life than how fast it can run 3d games? Is it still better? Sorry, no matter how people try two twist it, the word "better" is a subjective word...
    06-23-17 05:42 PM
    The KEYOne lasts for as long as the screen stays attached.

It is indeed very unique feature BlackBerry put in it.
    Well, I suppose if you lack an actual coherent argument you can always turn to jokes...
    06-23-17 05:45 PM
    Stop it with with your facts, can't you see some just don't like to be told they are wrong!
    Lol, I love when someone has the same opinion, then it is fact, hahahaha!! Cute little circle jerk developing here, we just need a few more people to make a circle, come on!
    06-23-17 05:46 PM
    Ive always loved the one plus handsets and company rather. They manufacture quality products at a fair price. For my throw around iem's I use the One plus bullets! They are similar design and quality to beats urbeats. Designed with a flat cable, three button Mic, and awesome sound profile for under 30$. Fantastic call clarity and music sounds amazing for such a little package! lastly, the call and music control is 100% android compatible. Alot of three button Mic iem's are made for ios!!!

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=uMPymG6C
    Hopefully you meant to say better quality to beats because beats are terrible...
    06-23-17 05:47 PM
    That's an ironic reply. Given that you originally stated that the Keyone screen issue is a unique feature that Blackberry put in it. By your sarcastic, 'have a go at Keyone' attitude, I'd gamble that you don't own or intend to own a Keyone. Oh, your reply is ironic because it would seem that you too don't like to be wrong. You are wrong because not every Keyone has a screen issue, mine being one of those. I've owned mine since the end of April and not had one single problem so far. So please don't just jump on the band wagon of p*ss takers that are simply Keyone haters. My previous Sony Xperia Z3 was a dog and I don't go around slagging off all Z3's! Enjoy.
    Give him a break, what else can he say if he doesn't have a real come-back??
    06-23-17 05:50 PM
    This thread is priceless. No
    shock that people are actually upset with OnePlus for offering a nice device at a good price. Amazing the amount of nonsense posted.
    06-23-17 05:50 PM
    Note was quickly resolved. 6s was released with higher strenth steel to combat bends.

TCLs response will pretty much determine views of users who returned to BB for the k1 excitement.
    Note was quickly resolved? Was this before or after they continuously tried to deny there was a problem with them? Just curious...
    06-23-17 05:51 PM
    Almost identical based on what? SoC? I don't know of any sd625 with the same camera sensor as the KeyOne or its security hardening.
    I agree with him though. The Moto G5 Plus has 3gb of Ram and the Qualcomm 625 for about $230 unlocked. The camera isn't as good, but it's decent, and sure it doesn't have the security hardening, but the common consumer wouldn't really notice that. The KEYone is good if you prefer the accuracy of typing on a pkb (like me, something I love being able to do even blindfolded), the capacitive features of it, typing while in split screen mode without a vkb taking up the entire screen, and keyboard shortcuts. The other big selling point of the K1, the battery life, Moto G5 Plus is good there as well. So I agree that if you don't really care about all of the advantages the pkb provides and you care about bang for your buck, the K1 isn't the choice for you. I don't see that statement to be a knock on the K1 because its value is elsewhere and that's acknowledged.
    06-23-17 05:55 PM
    Since you continually seem to downplay the virtues of the KeyOne, and now comment on some screen debacle, show me something quantifiable in regards to the screen falling out. What percent of all KeyOnes have had this screen failure? You don't know. In fact, how many Keyones have been sold, again you don't know. Everyone that jumps on the screen falling out bandwagon crack me up. If 1,000,000 were sold and we have 20-30 independent cases of screens falling off here in the forums, is that acceptable? I would think so. The truth is though that none of us here, I wouldn't even think CBK has this information, knows how many total phones were sold, their fail rate, or there subsequent return rate. Yet so many want to jump on the KeyOne screen bandwagon. It is just today's digital age lynch mob.
    Why bother? You know you're not going to get an objective and logical answer to this question...
    06-23-17 05:56 PM
    This thread is priceless. No
    shock that people are actually upset with OnePlus for offering a nice device at a good price. Amazing the amount of nonsense posted.
    It would be less nonsense if some people discovered the "edit post" button.
    06-23-17 05:59 PM
    Actually we do know. Up until TCL released the statement regarding reported screen failures, they divulged that they only sold "thousands" worldwide. That's how many customers they have of the Keyone.
    OMFG, really? We're going to cling onto that?? The statement was meant to focus on the screen issue, not a report on number of devices sold. This whole "better watch every word" thing the internet is requiring of everyone is really getting out of hand...
    06-23-17 06:00 PM
    How am I trolling? I've been saying for ages that it's overpriced.

K1 owners just have to admit they were ripped off. Its ok, I've been ripped off too.

I've paid over $1000 Cad for the Priv. That was a lot of money. And while in restrospect it wasn't worth it, I didn't mind too much.

I understand the low production run = higher price per component cost.

But they're using cheap parts! They have zero quality control!

The K1 is a pile of trash. An overpriced pile of trash at that.

OnePlus just proved that the K1 could have been far more powerful.

TCL banked on the name, and on the BlackBerry faithful who can't accept any criticism.

Every brand has fanboys, but BlackBerry ones are by far the worst.

And here is the thing, I like BlackBerry devices, I've owned several. I want them to succeed.

So when they put our a subpar device, they should be called out to fix it.

Anyone can pair a big battery with a mid-tier processor. That's easy. It's not an achievement.

With Google doing the hard lifting on battery optimizations, they don't even have to try that hard.

Making a thin, attractive device, AND having great battery life, AND giving it an attractive price point is a challenge.

If the K1 was at least like 300-350 bucks, which is still more than the competition at that level of hardware, it would be acceptable, but it's not.

Now you may not care about specs, and you really really want the keyboard, and you're willing to overpay for the keyboard and the BlackBerry name. And don't give me anything about updates because the Priv and Dteks don't have nougat, clearly BlackBerry doesn't update their devices.

Then fine, buy it, be happy with it. But realize you overpaid. That's all.

And hopefully you can get your warranty replacement when it falls apart, when you throw it from being fed up with the lag that is going to happen.

Calling me a troll. Are you kidding me? You're delusional.
    Aluminum is cheap? A made from the ground up capacitive keyboard is cheap? Oh, right, they had some screens that didn't stay attached like they hoped, that means that the actual materials everywhere else in the phone is cheap. Man, I keep forgetting these things...

If you don't feel it's worth the money, then don't buy it. But because in your opinion it's not worth it because the additions they have made to the typical piece of glass taped to a piece of plastic is not worth the extra cost for you doesn't prove that it is in fact overpriced and that everyone who bought one got "ripped off."

But hey, if that makes you feel better about yourself, then kudos to you bro. :-)
    06-23-17 06:09 PM
    I would respond but where to start. Your rant was far too much for me to do so.
    I just replied to the first few sentences and ignored the rest. Probably not missing much...
    06-23-17 06:10 PM
    Except it's not. The 625 is not premium. The 3gb of ram is not premium. The plastic back is not premium. The falling screens are not premium. The lag isn't premium.

So what's premium about it? The way it feels in your hand? Great.

Dude, you're allowed to like it. I'm really happy you do. Because otherwise no one would.

I like a crappy phone. In fact I really love it. But I accept it's crappie, has shortfalls, and there are issues with it.

The KO has a lot of them too.
    Yes, the plastic back, compared to the plastic... everything... of most other phones. The rest of it is made out of aluminum, but let's just forget about that...
    06-23-17 06:12 PM
301 ... 7891011 ...