They admitted that launching a high end device at a high end price was a mistake - not that they tried to bilk the consumer.

BlackBerry clearly knew they could not deliver hardware at a reasonable price due to economies of scale, so they went to TCL to build the DTEKs.

Are you suggesting that TCL, a company with a history of selling low cost devices, and who desperately want to make inroads into NA and the corporate space, are intentionally overpricing the KEYᵒⁿᵉ?

Could it not simply be that a low volume run of custom components simply costs more?
    Well at $549 USD I suppose it is fair.

But for $729 cad then yes its overpriced for what you're getting imo.

I'm not looking at the causes of said pricing, just whether it is overpriced or not.

Are you implying then that since it's a low volume run it costs more to manufacture and this is passed onto the consumer pricing?
    06-20-17 05:48 PM

Are you implying then that since it's a low volume run it costs more to manufacture and this is passed onto the consumer pricing?
    Yes. With parts that are custom and not used in other devices too.
    06-20-17 05:50 PM
    I dunno, Africa? Of course I know it was made in China. What's your point?
    My point is that you are calling out OnePlus for being a Chinese made phone with bad support and or materials. Are you seriously going to say that with the mountain of problems that the KEYone has had since its launched? And is it also possible that BlackBerry is charging way more than what they should be for the KEYone and that OnePlus is able to do it because they don't just say that it costs more because of a keyboard and "security." Just saying, if you've used a OnePlus you'd know that its a fantastic device.
    kbz1960 and hypersonic1990 like this.
    06-20-17 06:04 PM
    A friend of mine got the OnePlus 3T, and is loving it, he imported it from Dubai.

If you do not NEED a physical keyboard I'd say go for it, especially the 128GB 8GB RAM model, there is nothing else the KEYone really has over it. Android 7.0 already covers the security areas that DTEK did.

OnePlus are trying to be the Apple of Android, controlling both Hardware and Software so they don't make deals with carriers and all that, and their Android UI is mostly stock Android.

Treat yourself
    I will get a 8gb ram model. I think oneplus is also a niche phone like Keyone so manufacturing cost was probably very high but I do not know how they made the phone cheaper than Keyone.
    06-20-17 06:04 PM
    Sounds nice for a slab.
    06-20-17 06:18 PM
    So OnePlus 5 is a high end Chinese made phone? I don't know an awful lot about it, but I had originally thought it was just the model name and the phone was made by one of the bigger brands, like LG. Definitely an amazing price, but it reminds me of those Chinese products which give you the moon and stars but aren't the best quality in terms of support and materials. And with the manuals containing spelling mistakes and obvious bad grammar/translation.

How the hell can they make something this cheap and not make any compromises on the manufacturing process? There's usually a good reason why the product is so inexpensive compared to competitors.

Anyway, I'd say the decision rests on your desire for keyboard. If not, get a OnePlus 5. At least that's what I would get over a Samsung, if I was looking for a non-BlackBerry device. Probably less bloat on the OnePlus too.
    The KEYone is manufactured in China and appears to have pretty lax quality standards if we consider the news floating around about the device.

Additionally, at least OnePlus understands how to actually market a device and speak to consumers whereas BlackBerry Mobile is probably comprised of Steve Cistulli and 3 people responding to emails. This isn't even considering how mobile is on the backburner for BlackBerry Ltd so don't expect ANY timely updates beyond Security for your KEYone.

In my opinion OP, if you don't NEED a physical keyboard, the OnePlus 3T is much better than the KEYone. If the reviews are any indication, the OnePlus 5 will be infinitely better than the KEYone.
    krazyatom, Al moon and mister2d like this.
    06-20-17 06:19 PM
    The reason is accepting lower margins. The KEYone is manufactured in China and appears to have pretty lax quality standards if we consider the news floating around about the device.

In my opinion OP, if you don't NEED a physical keyboard, the OnePlus 3T is much better than the KEYone. If the reviews are any indication, the OnePlus 5 will be infinitely better than the KEYone.
    Yes, I think I am going to buy oneplus 5 to support underdog company.
    06-20-17 06:22 PM

I'm not looking at the causes of said pricing, just whether it is overpriced or not.

Even at $550. It may have custom parts but in no way revolutionary to up-charge.

Time will tell once we see the secondary market or discounts. But my feeling is they will continue producing low volumes to avoid that scenario.
    06-20-17 06:44 PM
    Of course the oneplus 5 screen does pop up a bit in the JerryRigEverything video, but he brushes it off as the whole thing didn't come off.........
    06-20-17 06:49 PM
    Yes, I think I am going to buy oneplus 5 to support underdog company.
    pricing got different underlying stuff that not on the surface: Blu low price due to Amazon sub. for example. I am no doubt some of the chinese tech development use Gov funding as well. Those are strategic placed product for market entry... either for eye catching spec, or pricing. Some company will take lost to gain market share - early Amazon for example, others, got different income stream, like Google, etc. Cost base is not good bench mark, if the company is focus on market share and with deep pocket backing either internal or external... (grab a marketing MBA text book or case study will tell you a lot...history has many successful and failure cases due to execute the right or wrong strategy).
    http://knowledge.ckgsb.edu.cn/2015/0...manufacturing/
    Last edited by stlabrat; 06-21-17 at 07:11 AM.
    06-20-17 06:55 PM
    Of course the oneplus 5 screen does pop up a bit in the JerryRigEverything video, but he brushes it off as the whole thing didn't come off.........
    well at least the op5 screen pops back in and is completely usable without tape or glue
    06-20-17 07:14 PM
    this is not true they have support here in the states
    Yeah but i'm not from the states, i live in germany
    rx8er likes this.
    06-20-17 10:58 PM
    The two devices can't be compared. One has the best PKB on the market and the other can be compared to other slab devices on another site. If you don't need a PKB then you have MANY choices, if you want the PKB then the KEYone is the only choice.

Decide what is important to you and go from there.
    super_rigel and fanisk like this.
    06-20-17 11:09 PM
    I've personally owned the original Oneplus phone, and also the Oneplus 3T. The build quality on these phones is honestly right up there with the best of them. I never had an issue with either of the phones. As some others have mentioned, the camera quality may not have been up to par with the galaxy line up or the iphone, but with the new Oneplus 5, they're trying to change that. As far customer service goes, I've only had one interaction with them, and that was for returning one of their cases that I had ordered, and the service was pretty good overall. They seem to have partnered up with the Acer Service Center in Texas (that's where I shipped the case to), and the refund for the case was processed pretty quickly once they received the case.

I was actually in the same boat as you, and was trying to decide whether to go with the K1, or the Oneplus 5. For me the deciding factor came down to the price, as I was able to pick up the K1 for about $350, since I had some Amazon gift card money that I was able to use (wouldn't have been able to use it on the Oneplus 5, obviously.)

My personal opinion, if you want a powerhouse of a device, and don't need a physical keyboard, then pick up the Oneplus 5, and give it a shot. Oneplus actually has a pretty good return policy whereby you can test out the phone for a couple weeks, and if you don't like it for whatever reason, you can return it, no questions asked, and then pick up the K1.
    Uzi, KorChi_JapThai and mister2d like this.
    06-21-17 01:33 AM
    The OnePlus fans on the OnePlus forum are very very very very very very very very very very very disappointed with the 5...
    06-21-17 02:56 AM
    You keep saying this. Since you clearly have inside information, what is the manufacturing cost of the KEYᵒⁿᵉ? And how much overhead would be fair to allocate on a per device basis?
    zzzzzzzzz. he's been doing it for how many months now. He's just trolling people here I guess

Posted via CB10
    06-21-17 03:30 AM
    I have owned One+ 1-3 and never an issue with any. Great quality and top of the line specs and a price that is better than anyone else for the specs. I just about got it this morning I just dont need the phone right now. I would never hesitate to pick one up if you are thinking about a slab android phone.
    same here, I'm currently using 1+3T and it's better than my old iphone 6. I dont have any issues and they have good software support and good quality build. Oneplus is Not a typical Chinese brand lousy brand.
    06-21-17 05:20 AM
    The OnePlus fans on the OnePlus forum are very very very very very very very very very very very disappointed with the 5...
    because they want different colors, water resistant phone, they said it is an iphone copycat, and they want better than 1080p screen. they expecting too much and they want lower price device. and lastly they said it is just an upgrade of 1+3T model.
    Last edited by KorChi_JapThai; 06-21-17 at 05:48 AM.
    06-21-17 05:25 AM
    Yeah, if i hadn't just picked up a new phone, I'd be all over the OP5. Top specs, pretty good build, and decent value for money.

Especially vs the over priced Keyone.
    What other device on the market has PKB, quality camera, top notch battery and BlackBerry Software you buy for less money?

Posted via CB10
    06-21-17 06:07 AM

Of course it is! One of specific products will cost more to manufacture and therefore ore cost more to buy. Basic economics. How many phones are the market with a PKB?

Posted via CB10
    06-21-17 06:17 AM
    I will get a 8gb ram model. I think oneplus is also a niche phone like Keyone so manufacturing cost was probably very high but I do not know how they made the phone cheaper than Keyone.
    Nowhere near a niche device like the KeyOne. The KeyOne is the only recently released Android phone with a physical keyboard. That makes it a niche device. What qualifies the OnePlus 5 a niche/specialty device? It is a fairly typical Android slab. Similar specs as numerous other high end Android devices. Its differentiator is it's price. That doesn't make it a niche device though. It makes it competitive economically.
    evodevo69 and kbz1960 like this.
    06-21-17 06:27 AM
    Almost all who reviewed the Blackberrys with Dtek have stated it is not software that in itself makes the blackberry more secure but the fact that it keeps you posted as to things that make your phone more unsecure so you can then fix the issues. If you search the Internet there are numerous articles explaining why Blackberries are considered one of the most secure Android phones on the market becaue securing Android was a big task.

Here is some information on it by different people. Now with that being said it doesn't mean that if the government comes calling a provider isn't gonna hand it over. you also have to ask do you need this level of security? I think if you take a look around you won't find a bunch of rooted blackberries and there is a reason for that

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/one-rea...2016-security/

https://android.gadgethacks.com/news...hones-0176997/
    06-21-17 06:43 AM
    Yes. With parts that are custom and not used in other devices too.
    How people don't understand these concepts is baffling to me. Any time you buy in bulk you get a better price. That is the whole reason why stores such as Sam's and Costco exist . You buy in bulk the prices get far more competitive. Then factor in the fact that there are pieces specific to the KeyOne, and only the KeyOne. All of these drive the cost. Truthfully, I have no issue with the price. I consider that the engineering and costs of the keyboard probably affect the overall cost of the phone by $100. Take that out of the overall cost and it is right in line with other phones with a 625 SoC.
    06-21-17 06:45 AM
    ONE plus is just another "slab" design device in the sea of current all same devices. Even worse as it tries to copy directly an IPhone 7! So there is no comparison to KEYone which is totally unique, different and it just lasts ,lasts and lasts!
    Finally something different which stands out. Clear choice #KEYone .

Posted via CB10
    06-21-17 06:53 AM
    I'd rather get One Plus 3T. Save money and better design. Rest of the specs are that big of difference.

If you don't want a PKB and battery, then it's a good choice
    06-21-17 06:56 AM
301 1234 ...