Any idea if keyone can be rooted?
    10-05-18 07:06 PM
    It can't be rooted.
    10-05-18 07:20 PM
    No BlackBerry device can be or has ever been rooted. How the Israeli company can access encrypted, locked BlackBerry smartphones only BlackBerry Limited and Celebrite know; that should give you pause and it is advisable to travel with a BlackBerry other than your primary BlackBerry smartphone in the event your device is seized and cloned.
    10-05-18 08:04 PM
    No BlackBerry device can be or has ever been rooted. How the Israeli company can access encrypted, locked BlackBerry smartphones only BlackBerry Limited and Celebrite know; that should give you pause and it is advisable to travel with a BlackBerry other than your primary BlackBerry smartphone in the event your device is seized and cloned.
    BB Playbook has been rooted tho.
    10-05-18 08:09 PM
    BB Playbook has been rooted tho.
    Nope.
    10-05-18 08:40 PM
    10-06-18 05:11 AM
    Yes, I remember this, but "rooting" is being used loosely here. It has limited functionality, and doesn't override security. In Apple and Android, far greater gains are made, but at the cost of device security. There's a difference.
    10-06-18 12:35 PM
    Wish I could still loosely root my keyone in the engineering menu
    10-06-18 03:09 PM
    why would you want to root as in what are you wanting to do exactly??
    10-06-18 03:38 PM
    there is quite a lot actually. I would like to get total control over my phone. for example launching maps toggles location on and off. Remove bloatware. extreme integration and customisation of apps etc
    10-06-18 04:37 PM
    OK some of which you can do without root ... however you have the wrong phone if you want to do it all ...but as said most of that u can do without root
    10-06-18 05:36 PM
    Do you have a specific instance where this was reported? I've been going through their product support documents and none mention the ability to bypass the lock on a blackberry (BB10 or Android).
    10-06-18 05:44 PM
    Do you have a specific instance where this was reported? I've been going through their product support documents and none mention the ability to bypass the lock on a blackberry (BB10 or Android).
    The documentation is all over Google. Even their older 2017 highlights include extraction methods for KEYone so it's only reasonable to expect they've updated since then as well.

https://cf-media.cellebrite.com/wp-c...seNotes_EN.pdf

I don't think the ability has ever been questioned, however, the circumstances behind its use remain unknown. The systems aren't cheap, the distribution of them across Government are not known and the legality of their use in cases is hard to track down in terms of precedent setting cases. The avg. person is likely not having their devices dumped by Cellbrite machines during law enforcement encounters just yet but alas, we're increasingly moving into that sort of scenario.
    10-06-18 07:07 PM
    The documentation is all over Google. Even their older 2017 highlights include extraction methods for KEYone so it's only reasonable to expect they've updated since then as well.

https://cf-media.cellebrite.com/wp-c...seNotes_EN.pdf
    These are the documents I am referring to.

I actually started a thread discussing this earlier this year:
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...rable-1138732/

You'll notice that in the document you linked to, it lists the KeyOne under:
    Logical, File and Physical Extraction

However, it isn't listed under Logical/File/Physical Extraction while bypassing Lock

This leads me to believe they can only decode the device if it isn't encrypted.

What's troubling however is that by Cellebrite's own definition of Physical Extraction, they state that it involves the use of their own boot loader to gain File System Access.

So maybe someone with experience with rooted android can explain what this might mean in relation to Blackberry's secure bootloader?

Ie. have they figured out how to load their own bootloader into BB Android? and since this is listed as Physical Access only (No lock bypass) does this mean they can only do that if the device isnt encrypted by the user? (like how we need to disable passwords to use autoloaders).

There are references in the documentation to decoding Chip-Off BB10 devices. But I'm not sure if that pertains to encrypted or decrypted devices.
    10-06-18 07:22 PM
    These are the documents I am referring to.

I actually started a thread discussing this earlier this year:
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...rable-1138732/

You'll notice that in the document you linked to, it lists the KeyOne under:
    Logical, File and Physical Extraction

However, it isn't listed under Logical/File/Physical Extraction while bypassing Lock

This leads me to believe they can only decode the device if it isn't encrypted.

What's troubling however is that by Cellebrite's own definition of Physical Extraction, they state that it involves the use of their own boot loader to gain File System Access.

So maybe someone with experience with rooted android can explain what this might mean in relation to Blackberry's secure bootloader?

Ie. have they figured out how to load their own bootloader into BB Android? and since this is listed as Physical Access only (No lock bypass) does this mean they can only do that if the device isnt encrypted by the user? (like how we need to disable passwords to use autoloaders).

There are references in the documentation to decoding Chip-Off BB10 devices. But I'm not sure if that pertains to encrypted or encrypted devices.
    Yeah, I dunno. I doubt you'll find many real answers. Speculation and testing from the security community, sure. That's just how they operate. Unless you hand over bags of cash.
    10-06-18 07:28 PM
    Also, I was in an AT&T recently and they had a Cellebrite UFED sitting on their counter. I asked about its capabilities and they said they only used it to transfer info from one device to another....
    10-06-18 07:29 PM
    Also, I was in an AT&T recently and they had a Cellebrite UFED sitting on their counter. I asked about its capabilities and they said they only used it to transfer info from one device to another....
    Yeah, a lot of carriers have them for those claimed purposes.
    10-06-18 07:33 PM
    Just surprised me to see one sitting on the counter. Always imagined those mysterious devices were sold only to governments, not the local cell phone store. Although I'm sure the model they've purchased probably isn't fully enabled to crack phones...

Guess it gives an indication of how prolific they might actually be?
    Searchy likes this.
    10-07-18 03:49 AM
    you should be able to tick the box for root if you use the dialer code *#*#2637643#*#* . Root is hard to see but i think it is the third tick box down. I unpacked the testmode apk and it's that same as what use to be available on the keyone. It seems to enable additional usb modes. The use and persistence of those modes is beyond me.
    10-09-18 07:03 AM
    you should be able to tick the box for root if you use the dialer code *#*#2637643#*#* . Root is hard to see but i think it is the third tick box down. I unpacked the testmode apk and it's that same as what use to be available on the keyone. It seems to enable additional usb modes. The use and persistence of those modes is beyond me.
    This menu disappeared sometime in nougat. Haven’t tried in Oreo though..
    10-12-18 08:24 AM