How about you complainers, go to local shopping center, set up a mobile hotspot in a sitting area, let people walk up and use your hotspot free. Don't forget to pay your bill every month and don't expect anything in return.
    07-09-17 08:12 PM
    How is EMTEK supposed to pay its developers then? Any thoughts?
    Why buy a business that is based on a flawed business model?
    EMTEK is not our problem and we are merely stating in the open how the new BBM is not attractive to users anymore based on its current business plan when compared to competitors
    07-09-17 09:25 PM
    EMTEK is not our problem and we are merely stating in the open how the new BBM is not attractive to users anymore based on its current business plan when compared to competitors
    The old BBM is even less attractive business wise since it has no revenue and only clients want everything free....
    07-09-17 09:45 PM
    The old BBM is even less attractive business wise since it has no revenue and only clients want everything free....
    How does this history lesson clarify or prove anything?
    All the more reason not to buy it
    07-09-17 10:09 PM
    Every messenger app other than Telegram (due to a massive endowment) has a revenue model - whether through data collection, ads, or subscriptions.

Take your pick for BBM. These aren't charities.
    07-09-17 10:22 PM
    Every messenger app other than Telegram (due to a massive endowment) has a revenue model - whether through data collection, ads, or subscriptions.

Take your pick for BBM. These aren't charities.
    Note taken and we are talking about the business model related to BBM not others. I have no problem with how the other messenger apps generate revenue. That's the point here.
    07-09-17 11:00 PM
    Note taken and we are talking about the business model related to BBM not others. I have no problem with how the other messenger apps generate revenue. That's the point here.
    So I'll ask again. What revenue model would you prefer for BBM?
    07-09-17 11:02 PM
    So I'll ask again. What revenue model would you prefer for BBM?
    I have no problem with paying a one time subscription fee for any app.

Developers should update apps to keeping them secure to keep current clientele.

That said if they wanted to add features let's say gif's to BBM and they wanted to charge for the upgrade then OK another one time fee if the user desires it. Creativity in making the user experience more interesting, useful and attractive is how they should work to make revenue.
    But if you think you can just put out an app that is subpar to other messaging apps available today and charge more for less your out of your f...... Mind !
    07-09-17 11:55 PM
    For me it's been WhatsApp the whole time, simply because everyone here uses it, even businesses. I couldn't care less about personalised Facebook adds. Actually I've found them useful on a few occasions. I do understand people's frustration about BBM not being free on a BlackBerry device anymore. At least they should have a one-time payment option. Nobody likes committing to a subscription based payment model for one simple app. I find that perfectly understandable. It's simply a poor business model for an app, begging for it to dissappear completely. For a streaming service it works, for a simple messaging app (especially when there are 'free' alternatives available) it does not.
    The_Passporter likes this.
    07-10-17 12:36 AM
    Just to change gears a bit - do the ads streaming into the device consume more RAM or battery than the old BBM? Maybe it's me but BBM seems to use more resources than I recall on OS10 devices.
    BBM is indeed a resource hog. But I found the issue stems from contact syncing. If you disable both contact settings, and location permission, battery usage goes down to almost zero.
    Attached Thumbnails BlackBerry KEYOne BBM ads-14301.jpg  
    brookie229 likes this.
    07-10-17 01:20 AM
    I have no problem with paying a one time subscription fee for any app.

Developers should update apps to keeping them secure to keep current clientele.

That said if they wanted to add features let's say gif's to BBM and they wanted to charge for the upgrade then OK another one time fee if the user desires it. Creativity in making the user experience more interesting, useful and attractive is how they should work to make revenue.
    But if you think you can just put out an app that is subpar to other messaging apps available today and charge more for less your out of your f...... Mind !
    If I may quote and reply to myself the keyword here is in app purchases.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-17 10:19 AM
    BBM is indeed a resource hog. But I found the issue stems from contact syncing. If you disable both contact settings, and location permission, battery usage goes down to almost zero.
    Thanks. How do I stop location permission?

Edit. I believe it is under Apps-BBM-pemissions. I also turned off calendar.
    07-10-17 10:43 AM
    Although it's a shame, BBM holds no place for me anymore on my device. It has some great features that I love, like retractable messages. However, nobody uses it. If I need to do a group chat through multiple platforms, whatsapp is the go to, and it works very well.
    07-10-17 11:21 AM
    Why? BBM isn't BB anymore. It's now Emtek.
    So does blackberry still own BBM?
    07-13-17 04:53 PM
    So does blackberry still own BBM?
    Own the licenses and patents, and also the name maybe, but overall operational is under emtek now.
    07-19-17 09:05 PM
    I know it's business and a total money grab!!!!! remember when grocery store paper bags or plastic bags werew free!? most big retail groceries now charge a fee per bag!!!! either you go along and pay or deal with ads non paid fee! I know ads are annoying and can't stand em myself!!!! I use a powerful ad blocker whenever I use chrome!
    07-20-17 12:30 AM
    It's fine if it's one time payment. But I think blackberry gets more money from the advertisers than from your $1 subscription a month. So not subscript is a way helping them.
    07-23-17 09:19 AM
    Those adds made me and my family and friends move to Signal... As stated above, one time payment is ok...
    The_Passporter likes this.
    07-23-17 09:37 AM
    Yeah BBM on Android is full of ads either pay for ad free or use another messaging app
    Accepted the BlackBerry key one that doesn't seem to be any way to pay for the ad free service
    07-23-17 09:50 AM
    EMTEK have Licensed the consumer side of BBM which remains wholly BlackBerry otherwise. For Blackberry protected you need BlackBerry Enterprise. https://blog.bbm.com/2016/10/25/emte...th-blackberry/
    07-23-17 10:10 AM
95 ... 234