BlackBerry sells smartphones on security and privacy. However my KeyOne isn't secure at all, it is on may security patch.

My next smart phone will not be a blackberry. I might as well get an Xperia compact or pixel.
    Digital_Islandboy likes this.
    08-13-18 07:05 PM
    Security is just a marketing term BlackBerry Mobile uses to sell to the masses.
    08-13-18 07:06 PM
    If that important to you, no one can beat the company that writes the Updates since it’s their OS. That’s just common sense...
    08-13-18 07:10 PM
    Doesn't BlackBerry lose its enterprise certification if it doesn't patch for three consecutive months? We are there on AT&T KeyOne--May 5 patch. 3 months 8 days.
    stefman722 likes this.
    08-13-18 07:53 PM
    BlackBerry sells smartphones on security and privacy. However my KeyOne isn't secure at all, it is on may security patch.

My next smart phone will not be a blackberry. I might as well get an Xperia compact or pixel.
    Oreo has the patches from July onwards. It's a bit of a hectic transition period at the moment.

BlackBerry Android is still the 3rd best on average for updates after Google and Essential.

Patches are only one piece of the overall security package.

http://help.blackberry.com/en/securi...y-Guide-en.pdf
    Last edited by conite; 08-13-18 at 08:28 PM.
    08-13-18 08:08 PM
    Doesn't BlackBerry lose its enterprise certification if it doesn't patch for three consecutive months? We are there on AT&T KeyOne--May 5 patch. 3 months 8 days.
    That's not true for carrier branded phones.
    08-13-18 08:10 PM
    So, carriers are given a free pass? Factually, what's the difference?
    08-13-18 08:11 PM
    So, carriers are given a free pass? Factually, what's the difference?
    The manufacturer has no control over the carrier distribution schedule.
    08-13-18 08:21 PM
    I think the issue is that monthly updates are really the only tangible thing the device user has to know the device is secure. That and apps like dtek, locker, privacy shade. So if an update is late the device feels less secure.

I believe BlackBerry does a ton of hardening and kernel-level work that goes completely unnoticed by the device user. It would be equivalent to re-building the engine of your car so that it would detect if the break lines were cut or a part was replaced with an aftermarket part. The device user would never see it, but it is there under the hood.

Do most consumers actually benefit from this deep hardening by BlackBerry security? Well, probably not, unless you have top secret info on your device and are a targeted individual (i.e. reporter, work for a govt or mega corp, etc.)
    Soapm, Dave Chalton and Elky64 like this.
    08-13-18 08:29 PM
    I think the issue is that monthly updates are really the only tangible thing the device user has to know the device is secure. That and apps like dtek, locker, privacy shade. So if an update is late the device feels less secure.

I believe BlackBerry does a ton of hardening and kernel-level work that goes completely unnoticed by the device user. It would be equivalent to re-building the engine of your car so that it would detect if the break lines were cut or a part was replaced with an aftermarket part. The device user would never see it, but it is there under the hood.

Do most consumers actually benefit from this deep hardening by BlackBerry security? Well, probably not, unless you have top secret info on your device and are a targeted individual (i.e. reporter, work for a govt or mega corp, etc.)
    Most of the serious items that are patched every month are those related to remote code execution and the like - things against which BlackBerry-Android has some built-in resiliency.
    Soapm likes this.
    08-13-18 08:34 PM
    there are patches from Sept '17 to June '18. but it's hard to get them to the phones. I had to have AT&T push buttons on their end to so I could get to Jan '18. the oreo beta will be the oreo release. supposedly you can use the pc software to get to oreo. I'm going to try tomorrow. my at&t k1 didn't come with the upgrade app just the at&t update check.
    08-13-18 08:39 PM
    That's not true for carrier branded phones.

Att is only missing like 2 or 3 months over the last 11 months.
    08-13-18 08:48 PM

What vulnerabilities do you think needs patching? If there are no vulnerabilities then there really is no need for a patch, unless you want them to send an empty patch that does nothing but change the date of the last patch???
    08-13-18 08:56 PM
    What vulnerabilities do you think needs patching? If there are no vulnerabilities then there really is no need for a patch, unless you want them to send an empty patch that does nothing but change the date of the last patch???
    Exactly. All we are really delayed on are major Android releases. We are a year behind. P is out in the wild and we are just getting O.

Samsung barely gets updates. (Or barely used to)
    08-13-18 09:00 PM
    Exactly. All we are really delayed on are major Android releases. We are a year behind. P is out in the wild and we are just getting O.

Samsung barely gets updates. (Or barely used to)
    I wouldn't even say a year. Most OEMs don't start deploying a new OS until the first few months of the year (Feb-Apr), when they become stable.
    08-13-18 09:05 PM
    You're already on Oreo with July patch aren't you? ;-)
    08-13-18 09:17 PM
    The should have kept a more solid BB10 base where one's phone data is truly stored and then an Android/app layer above that. Android App store has had problems in the past with questionable apps in their store.
    08-14-18 07:50 AM
    The should have kept a more solid BB10 base where one's phone data is truly stored and then an Android/app layer above that. Android App store has had problems in the past with questionable apps in their store.
    That didn't work for them before.
    08-14-18 08:07 AM
    BlackBerry security was in some ways etched in the bb10 OS ...my only perception of it was bloat I couldn't get rid of like BBM... now it's android and AFAIK open season... BlackBerry bought security via acquisition of companies if I recall correctly... what real security do they actually sell now emanating from their own expertise?
    08-14-18 08:14 AM
    BlackBerry security was in some ways etched in the bb10 OS ...my only perception of it was bloat I couldn't get rid of like BBM... now it's android and AFAIK open season... BlackBerry bought security via acquisition of companies if I recall correctly... what real security do they actually sell now emanating from their own expertise?
    What did they buy to secure Android? I don't recall anything.

They bought SecuSmart for voice/data encryption, and Good to add their app suite to BlackBerry UEM.

But what is bad about acquisitions? It cuts time to market, saves internal development costs, and if done well, bolsters your overall portfolio.
    pdr733 and pn210000 like this.
    08-14-18 08:20 AM
    unless they don't get the talent with the goods...
    08-14-18 08:32 AM
    unless they don't get the talent with the goods...
    Internal development is no more a guarantee than acquired development.
    pdr733 likes this.
    08-14-18 08:45 AM
    what about what happened with palm and HP...?
    08-14-18 08:52 AM
    what about what happened with palm and HP...?
    I don't really understand the connection.

If you are referring to Blackberry Android, BlackBerry still owns it, secures it, and partakes in its development - but simply licenses its use to TCL (BlackBerry Mobile) and Optiemus.
    08-14-18 08:56 AM
    HP bought a dearly beloved sector by many and completely trashed the entire thing by firing most of the talented people that came with it or at least putting off all of the developers they had any faith in the operating system and now there's nothing left of it after decades of absolutely fantastic development and I don't understand why acquiring information systems or security systems or other systems of which are far outside of my clear understanding discussion depend it to a large extent on the people that come with it ...
    08-14-18 08:59 AM
33 12